GPS usage during American civil war?

Could somebody rely on GPS during a civil war on American soil?

What about pic related?

If neither are viable, what are some good precautions to take?

Attached: iu[1].jpg (417x280, 28K)

Uhhh
The technology didn't exist in it's current form during the civil war, stupidass.

oof

next time read the thread.

Satellites depend on constant control and maintenance from the system centers on Earth. If those centers fall out then within 72 hours you may not depend on them. Likewise if the wrong guys achieve control of the same centers the output might likewise be entirely lacking or limited to those whose are trusted and have the codes.

You want maps and compasses. If the systems go down they will ALL go down.

This. If you can't read a chart and a compass, you're lost. Aviation charts are great.

Nope these snowflakes are going to be fucked when it's back to topographic maps and a compass, Lazy fucks will hopefully just an hero and make it easier for Liberty to prevail!

No. GPS satellites require ephemeris updates from ground tracking stations every hour on the hour or they lose accuracy.

Loran ground based antennas are still in place. Im guessing they are still functional?

they could still be jammed or sabotage I'm guessing

You could also just use amateur radio repeaters.

Loran systems in the US are no longer in operation for sure, don't know about other places.

learn how to read a map and navigate you shitter, fuck gps

It could probably be maintained from foreign stations, but without the US government funding, would they continue is anyone's guess. Non-US governments would probably step in and continue to provide funding to the Air Force to keep maintenance up from bases outside America.

Wasnt that a US thing? Used to use loran in fishing boats years ago. Drive US and Canada now and see them in US but never in canada

Loran isn't up anymore, but I believe VOR still works. Again, aviation charts rule.

DeLorme Atlas for your area is the best way to go.

Attached: 50C914B2-72B7-4133-8DC4-99184B4681EA.jpg (354x499, 74K)

Ayyyyyyyy fellow Michigan user

>Loran ground based antennas are still in place

We’ve been dropping them as the budget permits. The system has been decommissioned.

t. Former Loranimal.

>provide funding to the Air Force

LORAN was a Coast Guard thing when it was a thing.

GPS can be made inaccurate by the U.S. government. they call it "selective availability," and they can vary the amount of inaccuracy.

I'm pretty sure America turned off GPS for some middle eastern countries for a while during the height of the Irag "military operation".

This basically.

You wouldn't want a GPS with you. Which also means you need something other than a smartphone app for long range fire solutions. That's info you don't want to bleed.

I tried a spiral bound logal atlas and the font was illegible. Waste of money. These are solid?

>You want maps and compasses.
this.
Also the US Military used to maintain the option of "spoofing" or intentionally degrading the GPS signals at their discretion. Effectively reducing accuracy of the resulting location information obtained on your GPS device.
In these times only govt/millitary units would have access to precise GPS signals. I dont know that is the case anymore but it wouldnt surprise me at all if the US were to experience serious conflict on our soil that they would employ the spoofing or lock out all non-mil access all together.
In anby such event I wouldnt be completely relying on electronics like GPS anyways.
the foundation of my route planning, navigation & reconoitering is always paper maps and a compass. handheld altimeter/barometer can also be helpful for land nav when in mountainous terrain.

And we have not even discussed the chances that hostile forces could target these navigational systems. It's not as if they aren't already spending every hour and minute on attempting to hack or jam all other systems.

Neither the confederacy or the union had satellites OP and civil war 2.0 is a Russian subversion meme. I see you are advocating a Russian location service. You've wasted your life and doubly so I you live in that place called Russia with an economy the size of Italy run by an angry kleptomaniac manlet

RIDF here.

Don't worry fellow americans. Every modern GPS chip (in every modern smartphone) will work with Russian GLONASS. You will be able to navigate the lovely American war-torn countryside with your iPhone.

Not all of them. Most that I've looked at just have GPS and agps by only.

Which is a fucking pain in the ass since I work for the feds and need good accuracy on avenza when marking shit off innawoods.

VOR is still a thing, I used it last week.
They won't be much of a use unless you're in the air, however. They use VHF, which is line of sight only.