Why do combat helmets look like shit?

WHY??

Attached: spec-ops-kevlar-helmet-tactical-ballistic-helmet-sporting-ops-core-shroud-mount-helmet-catch-holding (736x835, 90K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kglnKJiEpNc
slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2010/10/why_dont_soldiers_wear_bulletproof_face_masks.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because when you actually do the work instead of LARParating for Instagram you prioritize function over form.

But, your entire face is exposed...clearly a design flaw?

Put an armored mask on and aim your rifle

Attached: 17012657_1258267087594567_2045854148_n.jpg (720x960, 69K)

what would you prefer?

This.

Put an armoured mask on and then take it off while you're putting on your CBRN gear

I don't care what moot says, summer is very real on this board.

It all adds up, maybe one day helmets will be a full system helping you aim, breathe in CBRN threats and help you survive bullets. Man can dream

Meh, warfare will be far more technological by then. Robots fighting robots? Then we won't need helmets.

>Still defeated by a single M193 5.56x45mm cartridge.

We still have a long way to go gentlemen.

They're for combat, not for looks.
The thing in your pic isn't made for combat. A combat helmet fits too snug for that kind of ear stuff. Would a good combat helmet just get rid of that coverage? Or would it find a compromise by making it bigger and flaring it out at that angle?
Stuff like that is trying to market to a small segment that get away with bump helmets and trying to improve them. Regular helmets work great as long as you don't want to put and kind of ear muffs or headphones on. People don't wear bump helmets because it weights less and doesn't get in the way as much. They wear it because someone is MAKING THEM WEAR A HELMET NO MATTER WHAT THE FUCK THEY SAY. That was the cheapest and lighest thing they could come up with was a bump helmet.

You say people are forced to wear cheap stuff. I'd like to show you a $2000 military tent:

youtube.com/watch?v=kglnKJiEpNc

Man you are fucking stupid

:O but, the 8mm kevlar...

OP here, I'd rather wear something like this:

Attached: medieval-helmet-bascinet-of-german-origin-xiv-1.jpg (1600x2400, 462K)

> wont stop even a .22 or harsh language
> no cheek weld
> massively impeded vision
> have to turn whole body to look left or right

2/10 made me reply

>asymmetrical
you should be shot

"Facial armor has come and gone in military history. Most ancient Greek hoplites wore Corinthian-style helmets, which covered the entire head except the eyes. The Normans who overran England in 1066 wore helmets but fought with their faces exposed. Henry V's knights cast themselves into the breach at Harfleur and Agincourt armored from head to toe. The development of armor-piercing bullets led to the downfall of the full suit. While Kevlar revived the popularity of body armor in the 1960s, the face shield mostly remains a thing of the past."

slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2010/10/why_dont_soldiers_wear_bulletproof_face_masks.html

What happened? 5.56

Calm down, I can poke fun a little here.

I wouldn't put it behind me. At least I know how to shoot.

That's it? 5.56x45mm won't have a problem. I'd be worried about hotload .17 HMR with that thing.

There are different "Types" that say some body armor cam withstand .357 and even 7.62 or a goddamn .30-06.

I don't think that 8mm is enough either. The exo-skelton is much more of an important breakthrough. But you kinda need your noggin...lol.

This is what I think I'm telling people to avoid:

Attached: NatlJMaxillofacSurg_2014_5_1_74_140184_u1.jpg (529x704, 145K)

I remember when we didn't have the rails for the Peltors and had to use the sweaty strap over the top of the head.
One look at a person's kit and helmet will let you know what sorta business they usually tend to.
To be perfectly honest, modern helmets aren't made for stopping rounds, they're made to carry the overwhelming amount of gadgets you now have to have to be lethal.
A 7.62 to the cranium region is gonna do damage, the trick is not to get shot in that area.

Oh, I'm perfectly familiar with the NIJ 0101.06 scale. Kevlar doesn't get the job done unless it's incredibly thick and heavy. We need ceramics or better UHMWPE.

Mfw I figured out Coors Beer is owned by the largest producer of ceramic armor.

Attached: cast-of-cheers-5.jpg (856x460, 77K)

namefag holocaust when?

Summer ending when?

>A combat helmet fits too snug for that kind of ear stuff.
Beyond retarded post.

It's winter actually.

Attached: 1528115599727.gif (978x478, 427K)

Okay. Suck my balls.

Good lord. We've reached the stage where Jow Forumsommandos want to receive succs from a brony. New lows reached every day.

Attached: lunalel.jpg (701x1001, 101K)

Ironic cringe is still cringe. Fuck off back to school summer.

Attached: 1529820624446.jpg (1280x720, 118K)

Is this double-ironic cringe now?

>only CBRN threats in 50 years were in Iraq
>all of those were well after Saddam was dead
I'm afraid I don't see that being a major problem.

Mmmm, beef.

>he likes this unironically and thinks it's a smart decision to use one
wow kill yourself asap

Damn dude, were you born that stupid or did you work at it?

>it’s a bump helmet
Hardly, it’s an opscore. Same material as a MICH, different cut. A bump helmet isn’t a ballistic helmet.

>you can’t wear peltors with a “real” combat helmet
You can, but it’s not as comfortable.

>peltors are useless
This is where you went full retard. Apart from saving your hearing peltors also act as headphones and a mic for your radio. Now you can hear your radio call no mater what, and respond without looking for a mic. This beats the pants off any kind of dog bone or trucker mic setup.

September has been real for the last 20 years.

Aha, Usenet is great!

Warfare has advanced to the point of being lethal force from your home office.

Very hard to believe we don't feel the need to protect our pearly whites in the midst of flying molten metal.

What are we barbarians? Athenian helmet attached.

Woops.

Attached: 282126000.png (806x618, 505K)

Coors made the core elements for the prototype Pluto SLAM reactor as well due to their expertise in ceramics.

>Pluto SLAM
I had no idea they were involved in missiles.

That's Corinthian, mang. The Athenians used the Attic helm. Pic related.

Attached: 5th-4th century BC An Italic set of armour Bronze attic Italic-Chalcidian helmet, Short bronze Samni (500x408, 59K)

If I can remember correctly. Coors owns a seprate company that makes plastics for most major companies. They likely spun that off into what weapons manufacturing

Anyone here had experience with different helmets? I would imagine a protective helmet to be something like a motorcycle helmet. I understand the whole, "if it works it works" thing but when you speak with anyone about helmets, the original post looks like a brain bucket.

Maybe people aren't getting shot in the face by the millions but I'm still wondering if someone ever thought, "my entire fucking face, neck, and upper chest is vulnerable."

I guess for mobility you must make some sacrifices.

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Which a mask can't stop, using today's technology.

BULL. FUCKING. SHIT.

GRAY FOX

There's also the question of where the force from the stopped shot ends up going. No good keeping your face if you snap your neck.

> ghost reporting

Fully enclosed helmets were phased out really early for a reason. Vvision, hearing and ventilation affected performance more than the feeling of safety and face wounds werent that common because we are instinctively good at dodging them. Romans stuck with a dome, hinged cheek protections and a neck guard for stabs over the back and it worked great for almost a thousand years.

Good pony

I hear it makes it hard to see snipers

Helmets are for shrapnel and falling material in general. I don't get why this is such a hard concept to get

the one in your pic is mostly designed for mounting NVG and other shit to it and for not hitting your head in vehicles / doorways and stuff

It's still a ballistic rated helmet, not like it's some Wal-Mart bicycle helmet there.

its a myth laddy

>This

Yeah, obviously, because it would be stupid not to give it some protection, but that isn't its primary purpose.

It won’t stop harsh language? Fkn dropped

>ops core
I used both an ops core and original issue MSA/Gallant MITCH retrofitted with rails and Wilcox nod mount. I just cannot get behind wearing a headset for hours on end in hot weather. It is stifling. I rigged a boom mic and speaker into the MITCH so I can get some air flow. I wear the ops core for low risk shit where I still need a helmet. I have a 19 inch neck. I really don't notice the weight on my head.

>I hear it makes it hard to see snipers
What snip-

At the moment, I don't believe there is any practical way to provide full ballistic protection to the head, it would just be too heavy for the type of scenarios that a modern infantry man would find himself in. But, I do also believe that seeking protection for the side of your head, front and back of you neck and some of the face from the likes of shrapnel and debris from explosives is a valid thing to look for. I personally think the only viable option for added head protection would be some adapted form of Roman Legionary helmet, of course refitted for peltors, microphones all that jazz, it breathable, adjustable to the individual and offers good alround coverage.

Attached: 0__5uKfkBjrINtnbUn.jpg (378x619, 59K)

Attached: Side_Armor_01__11046.1521140037.jpg (1025x1125, 81K)

Attached: HLMAC108000.png (450x442, 29K)

Southern Hemisphags get out

looks a bit flimsy. could this deflect atleast a .22?

There is these too, but i don't know how well it would take with the infantry, because they would have to lug it everywhere and cover long distance and shit.

Attached: 1514317001769.jpg (2048x1294, 579K)

There is a reason for it and it has to do with the knight being right-handed

Is the Altyn a decent helmet?

yes but it's heavy as fuck and destroy your neck if you wear it too long, and by destroyed i meant that you'll need surgical operation in the future so your vertebral column don't get FUBAR

I prefer the great helm.

Attached: 5f9.png (510x546, 37K)

>something's wrong with this thing, it keep jamming

Attached: th.jpg (474x718, 25K)

Putting a $500 part on your $1200 helmet to recreate a $180 helmet

Where do I enlist to become a Tekken Force soldier?

See?

Sorry, I have autism

At the space force.

That mounting setup looks so heavy and complicated im expecting it to be able to trqnsform into a decepticon

they don't

Attached: gear1.jpg (3000x3547, 2.57M)

My neck hurts just looking at this mess

i'm cracking my neck right now, this setup makes me concerned

newfag here what the fuck is that scope thing on your helmet and what is its purpose?

how the fuck do you now know what a PVS-7 is?

0/10

put some effort in next time

>The enemy can not control a robot, if you disable his hand!

Attached: StarshipHand.jpg (1280x720, 196K)

Helmet looks fine imo. The one thing Im concerned with when it comes to helmets are 1) protection against shrapnel and 2) weight. The recent trent of just adding stuff to your helmets i cant understand. i always kept my ACH austere, without anything on it cause you gotta carry all that shit with your neck.

>man in loop systems

Attached: dontmakemeairconditioneryou.jpg (640x484, 54K)

I don't think it looks that bad. Have you seen French uniforms?

SF has a saying: "If it looks stupid but it works, then its not stupid.

Attached: stupid.jpg (236x214, 10K)

/thread

^
I'm this guy, got bored and decided to try and MS paint what I was thinking of.

Earpro would ideally fit underneath, if not, ear area could be removed and space could be made, the mandibles could be adjusted to fit the individual as best it can and would ideally be able to tighten to the face to remove the cheek weld issue, if not than the mandible could be removed if necessary on that side, or a indent made in the mandibles. The rear neck covers would probably be best made from a more flexible material than metal or ceramic, something like a thick Kevlar weave, with each layer overlapping with the lower layer sliding under it to allow for plenty of movement in the neck, with this method I reckon that metal or ceramic (Would need padding and such) could be viable but I would have to make it to know for sure. I would have it so that if the situation dictated bot the neck covers and the mandibles could be removed and a normal ACH type helmet would be left. Mind you none of this is meant to be 'bulletproof', but just minimize potential damage caused to a soldier from shit kicked up by explosives like stones, bits of metal from objects near by and the actual explosive fragments themselves. Outlines to show the detachable parts.

I feel ridiculously autistic at the moment.

Attached: helmet.png (1152x648, 39K)

Were just not there yet user.

Attached: 6f0517_5725438.jpg (3689x2066, 1.08M)

I never don't like this picture, even though I know the PVS-7 is relatively low tier for NVGs, but it's STILL aesthetically cool as fuck.

Has to always use nv because lenses are tinted

why not just ban guns and shrapnel tho ?

Attached: carlos.png (205x205, 66K)