Hello Jow Forums! Visitor from /tg/ here. We were having a discussion that has grown to involve you lot...

Hello Jow Forums! Visitor from /tg/ here. We were having a discussion that has grown to involve you lot. We were wondering if you all might have any input as to if and how the government might go about regulating magic. Further, how might Jow Forums weaponize magic?

Attached: 170778.jpg (695x900, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sk5I27gTOj0
deviantart.com/crazyasian1/gallery/
deviantart.com/niw/art/Operator-28-656070247
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Did you mean to type

I did. Thank you kindly. Rookie mistake.

Make stupid laws like telling you that you cant cut your magic wand down below 16" without the proper bootlicking tax stamps and paperwork.

Not if you put a Sig brace on it and then pretend it's a handwand.

Actually, a ban on wands and only allowing staffs would be hilarious and interesting

Only massive channelling weapons, no small concealable ones

Some really bizarre and arbitrary bullshit like "your fireballs cannot be above ___ degrees" or "it is illegal to hold a short wand by the handle"

Attached: Tactical wizard.jpg (829x1024, 99K)

I really like this image.

Only cucks would comply to (((regulations)))

Attached: 1518619706977.jpg (640x640, 324K)

>haven't gotten my tax stamp to cut my ashwood staff below 24" yet
Fuck this gay government

Attached: Timothy McVeigh.jpg (400x559, 19K)

just get a merlin mystical wrist brace. Makes your wand just as good as a shortstaff. Just don't put a foregrip on it or it'll become an AOW (any other wand)

depends on how restrictive the government is
my points would be degrees of
>trying to find ways to restrict the use of mana
>trying to find the ways to restrict components in magical item or things related to magic that are deemed to dangerous for the populous
>having strict teaching on magic or limiting of the available knowledge on magic and mana
>having multiple division or groups that are in charge of check ups, investigations, and enforcement
those are some quick points I can think of

Attached: 1479198123219.jpg (2500x3333, 828K)

Modern day United States of America government. Also I just wanna say you guys are a hoot. When I made this thread I didn't really think it would get very far.

I've always liked the idea of guns using magic as a propellant.

Also magical optics sound sexy.

Regulate anything can can pierce a circle of protection

How do we stop these liberals from banning standard capacity mana potions?

Attached: 1508565484377.jpg (1920x1080, 216K)

>research and manufacture of certain magics and magic items highly regulated or illegal
>special taxes, forms, waiting times of months for the better items

BATFE (Bureau of Alchemy, TransFiguration, and Elementalism) is about to conduct my annual check. As a licensed dealer in NMA (National Magic Act) regulated wands and spellbooks, I have to do one every year to keep my license.

Just remember the regulations would be written by people who don't use/ understand magic.

Go ask your parents how they would regulate magic and there you go, whether it makes sense or not.

>tfw my local magical government now requires child-proof caps on mana potions

Attached: autism.png (375x360, 135K)

Just use magic to erase everyone's memories so they can't use magic. Then you can keep it all to yourself and away from the unwashed masses.

Attached: Atelier_098.png (1125x1600, 575K)

Hm, I’d think of it this way:
Wands are comparable to pistols, staffs are comparable to long guns. Simply apply modern gun laws to this formatting:
Concealed carry of a wand is only permitted to those issued a license.
You have to be 18 or older to purchase a wand and/or staff.
Any black, scary, tactical stuff (don’t know what that would be in magical terms) would be shit on by the general public.
Automatic weapons (maybe the equivalent of a magical wand or staff that draws its power from a source that isn’t the user) are incredibly hard to get a hold of, and basically illegal.
Help me add onto this list of laws using this formatting, anons.

Death magic is banned even though never letting anything die completely fucks the entire ecosystem and the persecution of "black/death" magic related creatures has nearly made them extinct because they look scary. Ironically they're actually mostly harmless or even friendly to people

I would say these list of magic specialties would be banned or heavy regulated
>Spatial magic
since you'd be able to store items, ease of transfer and free movement
>Summoning
because the possibility of summoning beings of mass destruction
>Necromancy
same as summoning but biological

Attached: 1524980002405.jpg (1920x2485, 778K)

You can't really make guns comparable to magic.
Magic can kill without even looking at someone, magic generally outpaces even the most powerful guns when it starts to step up its game.
I mean I would stand by banning shit like brainwashing or creating opposition that can't be shot to death. And since magic is usually a born in trait it completely fucks over the equalizer that guns are.

Ban assault spells.

>fucks over the equalizer that guns are
well I think it wouldn't ruin the equalizer equation. you'd just be limited to items imbued with magic. like alchemy, enchanting, runic magic, or some form of magical scribing.

If people could use magic the world would basically turn into X-men

Yeah but those will not square up 1:1 with actual magic users.

Its like buying a scope when you can't have guns. Sure you can see some faggot from afar but you still gotta go up to the guy and stab him.

>one endless cross-over shit fest where no one is right except dudes with one big red eye in the center of their head

jesus christ how horrifying

>ywn magically summon your anime waifu into existence and force her to have sex with you via magical means
Why are we here?

I know user

Attached: Parellel demension.jpg (700x4329, 1.18M)

Would schools be non-spellcasting areas?
Nevermind magical school shootings, imagine the cheating.

I think that the school would have some contingency plan or nullification trap that activates upon some directive or trigger.
cast in general would be like any shooting
youtube.com/watch?v=sk5I27gTOj0

Well since most spellcasters would probably be rich there would be hogwarts all over the place.
So probably, it'd be like military school.

Magnus?

Would they be the equivalent of rifleman then?

What's the best way to kill a blink dog? Asking for a friend.

Attached: Blank+_d89752fd3a54f82d28badeb53e9d27c9.jpg (711x688, 42K)

>messing with an old wand
>carve a new end for it
>didn't notice that the moon was full
>turns out that it rapid fires magic missiles with a single incantation, instead of one incantation per missile
>this is cool as fuck
>post video on facebook group
>2 days later
>ATF kicks down my door, shoots my hellhound, confiscates everything in my atelier, and traps my soul
>still waiting on my trial 2 years later

Power word kill

Likely beam spells are banned on the spot, wands able to be disguised as another object (like a pencil, pen, or walking stick) are banned to oblivion, and use of explosive spells are regulated to those who are technically certified, and anything inquiring use in crimes or conspiracies (like a cult) either calls in the FBI (Federal Bureau of Inquisition) or the BATFE in. And they likely will have a fun time on your ass like Bubba in the shower block if you drop the soap. Finally, I imagine depending on the bureaucracy, sound suppressing runes are regulated for use in wands and staffs, but the technology is completely legal when used on automatons

guys I just had an NC, luckily no one was hurt by i think i hexed my neighbors flowerpots. Can they sue over this? what kind of trouble am I in??

>at the apothecary
>notice mana pots are super cheap
>stock up
>get pulled over on the way home
>arrested because "no one needs more than 5 mana pots. the only reason you'd need more is for rapid firing assault spells"
Luckily my family knows a good elf lawyer.

Depends, what model was it?

Tried putting a suppression spell on my staff today, and now the fucking ATF has entrapped my soul in a mirror until further notice because they said “I need a license for it”
I need to leave this retarded country.

>Having a hellhound
You deserve getting Orb of Disintegrated, demonblood.

>trusting an elf

Attached: C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_1517809503936.png (645x729, 36K)

You hex-crazed necromancers need to turn in your assault catalysts. No one NEEDS a +5 staff for anything other than cursing.

Rest of that guys art for any else who cares.
deviantart.com/crazyasian1/gallery/
>sound suppression runes

Okay, that’s cool as fuck.
It depends on how it’s treated as a society, how easy it is to use, and wether it is something that is innate to a person (like psychic powers) or something anyone can be taught.

Assuming it is something anyone can be taught and that there it is otherwise almost infinite in capabilities, it’s gonna be a lot like the war on drugs; highly restrictive except in specific circumstances but nearly impossible to control.

Depending on how hard it is.

As far as magic items go, those would be more akin to modern firearms laws no matter how you spin things.
Arbitrary and idiotic laws made by people with no idea what hey’re Restricting, import bans on spell books and certain kinds of candles and ink and other kinds of magical conduits, anything capable of the creation of so much as a homunculi absolutely B& AS FUCK because lolhumanrightsamiritrguize? As well as any items capable of altering a human will and many many more.

My question is that if we had magic do you think firearms would have reached the level they’re at today?
Would we have instead developed black powder that is also smokeless and then developed balls that continuallly accelerate themselves to overcome BP velocity problems?

Perhaps cylinders that load themselves and muskets that can never miss?
Would we even care about autoloading guns when we can just magic a new round into the chamber?

Guys, the tome guaranteeing the right to use magic only applies to shit like magic missile that was around when it was written. The writers never envisioned that people would be conjuring beings from the 8th dimension or manipulating causality in the future.

Fuckin' liberals trying to ban shit they don't know anything about

Attached: 123413241234.png (1200x1055, 341K)

Come 'ere time to bully your little faggot ass.

>wizards
>having a problem of when
Absolute mundane pretending to be a wizard-tier.

All non-magic cumhearts leave /magicK/ or I will personally teleport my cum into your hearts from across the world.

Attached: 1477142141758.png (1102x382, 359K)

I like the idea that every wizard is a master spearman

Attached: TVアニメ『ゴブリンスレイヤー』第2弾PV-6sdxN30qNrw.webm (1280x720, 2.86M)

No one needs a magic wand! A staff is all you need for home-defense purposes.

Remember, 75% of all mass-hexings are done with assault wands!

I imagine in a AWB ban (assault wizardry ban) No rune ring threading would be allowed, hang on lumen glass is banned, and any wand with a weight over 1 pound is banned. No adjustable grips on staffs, no non “sporting” purpose multimagic staffs allowed, and all spellbooks that contain spells for wands must have a background scrying

literally the jihadis would be turning the middle east into a glassed nuclear hellscape soon as they get their hands on putting nuclear bomb arcanas on trucks, people, buildings, rocks

Attached: 1418926107207.png (731x842, 349K)

is goblin slayer already out?

>The only magic a civilian should be able to wield is fire magic! Fire magic actually serves a purpose, you can use it to cook food. What justifiable reason is there for private citizens to use arcane magic? Magicnuts just wanting to bend space and time is not a good enough reason! BAN ARCANE MAGIC!

>tfw Federal Necromancy Control Act of 1976 gets overturned by the Council of Archmages

Attached: da3.jpg (400x400, 56K)

Only if it’s a virgin lower receiver. However if you’re building your want yourself nobody will know. If you do it to a lower on a factory rifle, if the BATFags ever have a reason to check they can and will fuck You over on it.

I mean could you come up with a justifiable reason to bend time and space?
I mean yeah, for fun, but that's not really justifiable.

Make Jews Illegal Again

>not wanting to get all your chores out of the way 5 seconds after you wake up
>not wanting to teleport to work so you don't have to waste money on flying carpet maintenance and insurance

Do you enjoy taking forever to do anything?

Well I mean, we can't have people walking around with bump wands. We don't want people casting spells too fast. I imagine those shake weight things where you jerk off a robot would be banned so nobody could conceal a bumpwood wand inside of one.

Also no spells can be cast that are too quiet. If it's under an ear splitting volume, then it's clearly a murder weapon waiting to be used by an assassin. Also, in places like California, you can't have assault wands- no scary looking crooks and bends, it can't be black, and it can't have any thorns on it.

Attached: 1530942045351.png (555x557, 110K)

It's about god damn time. How am I supposed to get any real power out of my spells if my incantations can't contain more than 3 syllables of the divine language? They were using that shit all the time in the age of gods, and the world is still here, limiting it's use was completely illogical.

regulating magic is unconstitutional! why would you let the government regulate both the first and second amendment?!

Attached: 1531307658962.jpg (2048x1363, 179K)

>not wanting to get all your chores out of the way 5 seconds after you wake up
it might take 5 seconds but you will still do it in however many hours it takes normally.
Also you will rapidly out-age your current time.
>not wanting to teleport to work so you don't have to waste money on flying carpet maintenance and insurance
This is actually pretty justifiable, but then its just as easy to teleport somewhere unprotected and quickly steal shit with no repercussions. I mean you wouldn't want people to be able to teleport out your gunsafe and sell everything for scraps half the country over?

>tfw no National Magic Association

>Also you will rapidly out-age your current time.
>he doesn't know the rejuvenation spell

>teleport out your gunsafe and sell everything for scraps half the country over?

I have no guns, the only defense I need is my totally ordinary not in any way heavily enchanted walking stick. Yep, just a walking stick, no it is not glowing, that's just the lighting.

Ban assault golems

here's some similar stuff if you like that modern/medieval hybrid :)
deviantart.com/niw/art/Operator-28-656070247

Attached: operator_28_by_niw-daulv1j.jpg (700x772, 185K)

>Only the police and military should have scrolls! Who NEEDS that many spells at once?
This bootlicking drivel makes me sick. Good thing I lost my scrolls in a bag of holding accident a few months back.

Nice try..uhhh..Department of Magical Law Enforcement???

Is... is that crossguard disclipine?

Someone already did an acronym for a fantasy themed BATFE further up.

>Live in Chicago
>Can't carry my talisman of Gro'Shdat because it's longer than 3 inches
>Can't have a voodoo doll on my person because it has lockable moving parts

Attached: 1422315534466.gif (213x163, 1.66M)

>YUM YUM YUM THIS BOOT TASTES SO MUCH BETTER WHEN IT SERVES THE FREE ELDER GODS!

>Go to proving grounds of Zeltar, wanna try the "five fingers of death" incantation I learned last week on some gobbos.
>Some Gandalf is there, shooting off frost rays from an ancient bone wand
> Fucker is wearing (I shit you not) a pointy hat and robe with stars.
>Starts bitching about how no one needs high level spells to hunt goblins
>"Magic Missle and acid spray is all you need to take out goblins, son. Only battle mages need sorceries."
>Cast a hellball at a displacer beast, it melts into a puddle of puke.
> Merlin is dumbfounded, Zeltar sees how awesome I am and we become bros.
>Zeltar lets me bang his hot underage half-elf daughter.

Why does /tg/ type in purple prose?

You guys have the lowest level of discussion yet use the biggest fucking words. Yall sound like autistic faggots- actual ones not meme speak.

But did the range jester conjure up any crab legs for you?

>tfw dust kabolds try to steal my dust

MY FUCKIN POST MAGIC DUST.

>And since magic is usually a born in trait it completely fucks over the equalizer that guns are.
Now I want to see a setting where a cabal of jackass wizards conspires to keep firearm development down to hold power, and an underground resistance works to advance the tech to be free from wizard bullshit.

Why, yes!
But seriously, it's a grip type. Though, it's typically used with short swords and daggers only for obvious reasons. Really help define thrusting.

Attached: 1494128458951.jpg (600x800, 208K)

>Any black, scary, tactical stuff
Warlock gear, very scary. You don't NEED to have a Warlock-made wand, user!
>Automatic weapons
I'm thinking recording spells into a medium for later casting would be forbidden on the account that any shitty mage could just make a hundred low-tier fireball scrolls to pack his van full just so he can 'splode a gov't building.

Many on /tg/ have this strange habit called "reading", since they need to understand the settings and rules of whichever games they participate in.
This results in them having high-capacity assault vocabularies, which the education system is trying to ban since no one needs a "reading age" higher than their shoe size!

Joke's on you, I have big feet!
I got to wonder what they would look like. Can't just shoot up hellhounds left and right without looking like some sort of mad battlemage.

Attached: 1485006089532.jpg (1920x1080, 202K)

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!!!!!!!

*Casts hex of infringement on you*
tch, nuthin to infridge, kid.

Would shit like magical guns even exist ? Like instead of using black powder you just have an explosion rune.

Founding fathers would be spinning in their graves if that necromancer hadn't risen them for his skeleton army.

Seems like kinda too much work when you can just make good ol' gunpowder and have it work the same.
Now a bullet made out of magic material, like mythril or unnobtanium.

Could. It's an efficient way of delivering energy as long as you allow some semblance of physics to be respected in this strangereal universe. Still, a regular magic-less gun would do the trick better.

America is going to hell without their guns!
No really, fuck those demonologists, we need to shoot them right now.

School shootings would be way more interesting

Attached: 1469309413055.png (500x706, 300K)

The hat needs to go though. But I guess it wouldn't look wizardy enough without it.

wand registration tax and concealed carry permit
no staff with more than ten charges at once and a handle or integrated penknife
Any cut down staff has to be registered
A special wand/staff transfer tax. As a way around this people sell '80%' wands and staffs that have to be hand finished with some carving
City watchmen can inspect wands and staffs are stored in safes separate from other items
No wands or staffs for the under 21s
Any armour piercing staff spells are strictly prohibited
Any armour piercing wand spells or 'watchman killer' spells strictly prohibited
All wands and staffs must have a serial number on them
No wands or staffs in schools
In Europe you must pay a yearly fee are only able to apply from wands made of straw that charge one spell at a time and must pay a yearly fee
Wands with collapsible wrist loops require a special registration fee
Wands with bells on them must pay a special bell tax

Orc wands may not be imported, already imported orc wands may be used like any other wand subject to the laws above
(none of the above applies to anyone who works for the patrician, any criminal classes or orcs, who all ignore the law)
Anyone can own a staff that hurls sheets of fire with no taxes or paperwork even a minor

It's not about how powerful the spell is, it's where the spell hit that counts.

Besides, in combat all your fine motor control goes out the window. You're better off casting numerous spells to center mass rather than relying on one powerful spell to hit your target.

Attached: rip finger.jpg (1414x1000, 139K)

Friendly reminder that all Jian scum need to have their legs broken.