Team Tempest

The UK has revealed it's working on a new fighter as a Typhoon replacement at the Farnborough Air Show.

Joint Venture between BAE Systems, Rolls Royce, MBDA and Leonardo. They are looking for partner countries like Sweden and Japan.

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-16/williamson-to-unveil-model-of-u-k-s-next-generation-fighter-jet

Attached: tempest.jpg (2048x1536, 363K)

Other urls found in this thread:

martin-baker.com/products/mk16-ejection-seat-for-rafale/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Looks pretty cool from the pic, wonder if anyone will work on it with them, considering the F35 is readily available now

F35 2: Money Sink Boogaloo

France and Germany are teamed up on their own fighter to replace the Rafale/Typhoon.

So there's Sweden who will eventually have to replace their Gripens and Japan are looking to for a new fighter. They've sent RFPs to Northrop, LM, Boeing and BAE Systems for a joint partnership. Italy could also be a partner if France/Germany kicks them out of the their fighter program.

South Korea and Turkey are working on their own indigenous fighters to replace their F-16s.

Attached: KF-X c109 side view.jpg (1920x1080, 61K)

In the 80s they literally leveled their whole aero industry to the ground.
In that time they were for once in the history competitive to the USA made designs and they nuked it.
What changed?

>What changed?
Co development of the F-35 and essentially full tech transfers. Not to mention manufacturing something like a third of the plane's components.

UK puts down a ton of R&D that we claim as ours. Cool to see them thinking about building a plane on their own though I doubt it'll amount to anything honestly.

Attached: 1530194716173m.jpg (1018x1024, 100K)

The Poms have a been doing loads of research and prototype development even if none of them ever reach order status. They've got some neat stuff.

Also plenty of UCAV work too keep R&D rolling.

Franco/German fighter.

Attached: french fighter.png (1480x772, 544K)

uhh looks complicated desu

BAE Replica comes back to life.

I believe this is the first optionally manned fighter to be announced?

It'll be a fairly advanced design if wind tunnel and RCS testing has already been done.

Sensor fusion work from F35, autonomous combat software from Taranis, Upgrade to EJ2000 to get the extra 30% performance that's available, probably adding thrust vectoring too.

As far as next-gen aircraft go it's surprisingly low risk.

I'm also super moist for the RAF having another Tempest

Attached: BAE Replica.jpg (1024x683, 163K)

Are there any other photos of it?

will not happen. US won't allow it.

Better angle.

Attached: DiOObzOXkAAKqmh.jpg large.jpg (1024x714, 104K)

>pic
damn that's almost an exact match

What are they going to do? Remember that the US is isolationist now thanks to Mr Trump.

They haven't even agreed on what they want, that design will go through many iterations.

as mentioned in and This is a lot more mature than you would think.

If Japan, Sweeden and Italy all agree to help out and fund the project this could be big.

>As far as next-gen aircraft go it's surprisingly low risk.
Which is how we know it will be a reality, shows there's been important lessons been learnt by the MoD/DSTL.

>What are they going to do?
tell potential partners (Sweden, Japan) that there will be consequences.
>Remember that the US is isolationist now thanks to Mr Trump.
lol'd. not when it comes to MIC sales.

There are a few of BAE replica - which was a BAE project in the 90's/2000's that got fairly far into pre-production.

This aircraft seems to be that airframe with modern sensor fusion and AI.

Attached: bae ucav.jpg (294x349, 33K)

Why? Not like the US is exactly short of orders from the UK with P-8s and F-35s.

a rough size comparison based on the photos of people standing next to it - no hard numbers obviously.

Attached: F22, Tempest, F35.jpg (254x198, 4K)

Another picture.

Attached: DiOHhsTWsAAP7al.jpg orig.jpg (2048x1152, 224K)

>tell potential partners (Sweden, Japan) that there will be consequences.

Because that has historically prevented Japan and Sweeden from having a domestic aircraft industry?

fuck off.

Uh, right. Enjoy your dream reality that no other westen country can produce a design unless at the consent of the US.

Big ugly

I really want photos of the presentation that's on that back wall.

As no professional but as someone who takes an active interest, that slim wing makes it look like it's going to fly high and fast.

Attached: replica-bae-systems-web.jpg (500x334, 31K)

Last of the photos I have

Attached: BAE Replica in transit.jpg (1920x1080, 94K)

better res

Attached: BAE_replica_1.jpg (750x750, 344K)

France is the only EU country that kept its aircraft manufacturing capabilities and even improved it, by the time the UK will have this 5th gen the French qnd Germans would have their 6th gen

>They are looking for partner countries like Sweden and Japan
Isn't Japan going to make with Lockheed that F-35/F-22 hybrid?

I never understood why it was upside down

Rollo's aerospace division are pretty cool guys.

the UK already has it's 5th gen.

You drastically underestimate the UK aerospace industry.

It's a full-scale RCS mock-up - it would be suspended from the roof of the testing chamber. on a plinth. When moving the model around they wouldn't want to damage the bottom so they just use the same mounting points on the top.

It won't have functional landing gear so they can't just pop the wheels out.

>France is the only EU country that kept its aircraft manufacturing capabilities and even improved it,
Kill yourself.
Go look at industry stats between countries.

You mean the one they bought from Lockheed Martin?
Wtf you're talking about? What was the last plane 100% made in UK or by Germany or by Italy...
France is the only one who is capable of making a 100% homemade plane

God i hope they have the balls to go tail-less but they wont

Is it 5th or 6th gen?

France? The nation who gets all their Airbus' wings built in the UK?

The same nation who built 164 Rafales since 1986 (Compared to 623 Typhoons since 1994) and has a smaller order book than Typhoon.

Also the same nation who struggles to domestically design any military aircraft - hence having to steal the work on Typhoon before forming their own project, then doing exactly the same thing with Taranis.

Safran makes poor engines that only make it into national projects through pride, their only notable projects have been ones where Rolls-Royce do the hard work.

The valuable bit of MBDA is all in the UK where the advanced weapon design has been based.

The UK may not have been producing many wholly British aircraft. But the UK aerospace industry designs and builds every aspect of an aircraft and has been involved in many projects at a high level.

I'd also argue that the important part of Airbus is actually the German component.

>You mean the one they bought from Lockheed Martin?

The one that Lockheed and BAE designed. Lockheed obviously did the groundwork by getting the base airframe, but almost all the sensor fusion and EW kit comes from BAE. The B variant comes from the Rolls Royce lift system.

It was a British test pilot who first flew F35.

>France? The nation who gets all their Airbus' wings built in the UK?

kek. Didn't realise this but A320 A330 A340 and A380 all get their wings made in the UK. What do you call and airbus without wings? a bus.

Calm down cunt face

>France? The nation who gets all their Airbus' wings built in the UK?
Building =/= R&D
Most of the big companies build their shit outside their countries it's a political shit

>The same nation who built 164 Rafales since 1986
Because that's what they all need?
>and has a smaller order book than Typhoon.
Because typhoon is a joint program between 4 different countries?

>Also the same nation who struggles to domestically design any military aircraft - hence having to steal the work on Typhoon before forming their own project, then doing exactly the same thing with Taranis.

This is the most autistic lying bullshit I've ever seen, never post again please

>Safran makes poor engines that only make it into national projects through pride, their only notable projects have been ones where Rolls-Royce do the hard work

They make excellent engines, they just didn't develop since the last century

>The valuable bit of MBDA is all in the UK where the advanced weapon design has been based
Another bullcrap

>The UK may not have been producing many wholly British aircraft. But the UK aerospace industry designs and builds every aspect of an aircraft and has been involved in many projects at a high level.

>I'd also argue that the important part of Airbus is actually the German component.
No

Attached: WebFull_BAES_AboutEurofighter_Infographic.jpg (1509x834, 521K)

Admins come and go but the MIC is eternal.

Balkanization of NATO

>balkanization of NATO
explain please

idk i just made that up,
it just seems like NATO countries are drifting apart and showing more interests in their own countries rather than towing the US-led NATO party line

>Building =/= R&D

Actually, it does. Airbus didn't buy a patch of land and train people to work in a factory.

Airbus bought an existing aircraft manufacturer (Hawker Siddeley/British Aircraft Corporation) from BAE and used their existing skills and techniques to build the wings.

Airbus is a holding company for a series of smaller companies that specialize in specific things. Just as MBDA is currently the holding company for various former British weapons makers that are all operating outside of the same facilities.

it seems you're very new to the aerospace industry. i don't know what you're doing here.

Wtf you're talking about, according to your propaganda Airbus is no longer Franco/German it's UK owned company

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

>rather than towing the US-led NATO party line
What's funny is "fuck off and defend yourself with your own armies" is the current US line.

>it just seems like NATO countries are drifting apart and showing more interests in their own countries rather than towing the US-led NATO party line
They were always interested EXCLUSIVELY in their own dealings. That's what countries do. It's just that while there was a literal hostile communist superpower whose individual interests included SHARING THE WEALTH at the doorstep said individual interest included a military alliance. Now there's no literal hostile communist superpower with an interest for SHARING THE WEALTH at the doorstep, so a military alliance goes waaaaaay lower on the national priorities list for everyone who is not the leadership of said alliance.

Airbus UK is Hawker Siddeley rebranded. It's the same facilities, same people (more or less almost all will have retired)

Airbus is just the current owner.

If/when Airbus sell's the facility it will be called something else. but it will be the same people designing and building aircraft wings.

This is how capitalism works.

>Wtf you're talking about? What was the last plane 100% made in UK or by Germany or by Italy...
>France is the only one who is capable of making a 100% homemade plane
Uh, almost no modern industry is 100% indigenous. Only one I can think of would be nuclear warheads and that's only because exporting waehead designs are a big treaty no no.

>Uh, almost no modern industry is 100% indigenous
Current Russian MIC is somewhat close to it, though not by their own choice and they'll go back to importing tons of parts when we lift sanctions.

Still beside the point.

>Wtf you're talking about? What was the last plane 100% made in UK or by Germany or by Italy...
>France is the only one who is capable of making a 100% homemade plane

What does it matter to the company that makes wheels if the company that makes helmets for the same project isnt in the same country?

As far as i can think of, every type of component needed for a modern fighter (or airliner) is made in the UK. They are just being made for various projects, F35, Typhoon, F22, F16, B2, Chinook, Wildcat, Merlin NH90 etc.

Hawk is an entirely British project with all british components. (asides from the licence built version of course)

Rafale is not entirely french though. I can think of several components that France can't make and needs to import.

>Rafale is not entirely french though. I can think of several components that France can't make and needs to import.

you cant name one rosbif

Rafale's ejection seat is made in the UK.

martin-baker.com/products/mk16-ejection-seat-for-rafale/

W o a h

It's fucking nothing

It's literally the most developed 6th gen as it stands.

No one else has chosen a design, let alone got a physical model to show to the public.

>reaching this hard

Attached: 15233078188311.jpg (800x800, 359K)

Farnborough air show looks fun 2bh

I sincerely wish they succeed just to trigger all the others

I don't see why Sweden would help. They want their Gripen E's no, right?

show me a 6th gen project that has a finalised design, or an RCS/Wind test model

The only reason airbus survives is because the EU unfairly subsidises them.

>show me a 6th gen project that has a finalised design, or an RCS/Wind test model
After (you).

What's it gonna fire?Insults?Butter knifes?Will it have a SJW network as protection from all insults or jokes?

Here you go mate

Attached: 1000x-1.jpg (1000x666, 66K)

Gripen was essentially a UK design, it was developed from BAE P.106 - a failed rejected proposal for the Eurofighter project.

When SAAB and British Areospace started working together on Gripen they used P106 as the base.

That being said, this fighter is for 2035-40. It won't influence sales now. It would probably help them as many of the advancements will probably be offered as upgrade options to typhoon and Gripen customers before being used in the new airframe.

They're, in fact fairly recently the word on the consortium has been dismissed due to the difference in opinion surrounding a requirement for an aircraft version

See Aw diddy, we made 38579472 upset.

>finalised design
What engine it's gonna use?
>RAM
What RAMs?
>Wind
Who makes the FCS package?

Vaporware

Attached: BAE Tempest.jpg (1680x1120, 213K)

>or an RCS/Wind test model

Attached: eeee.png (630x335, 209K)

Sexy

>gets told, carries on posting mock-up pictures like nothing happened
Good.

>a literal mock-up
>an RCS/Wind test model

More from BAE

Attached: DiOuGgEXcAI7-ks.jpg (1199x848, 119K)

i'm pretty sure when you asked us to show you wind test / RCS models and a finalised design you BTFO'd yourself.

keep crying, we're still waiting for you to post a more developed competitor.

you have no idea what you're looking at. cute.

>According to comments issued by BAE Systems, Replica was subject to a "rigorous test programme". One of the known aims of these tests was to acquire relevant data from which to evaluate the aircraft's radar cross section, which was deemed to have been a key component of its low observability characteristics.

The sad thing is, is that Labour will kill it in the next SDSR.

>you asked
I didn't. I asked three very specific questions.
>us
You're the only schizophrenic ITT. Oh, right, you ARE a schizophrenic.

Sounds like you're projecting.

Why can't you just be excited that there's a 6th generation jet which is actually coming along?
Are you jealous or something?

SDSR 2020 will be under the current government. A leadership challenge to may is dealt with inside the conservative party and would not require an election.

Even then labour have a better record on defence spending as they see it as a tool for providing jobs.

This is just too dumb. You're overdoing it.

Attached: 1452172423707.jpg (416x508, 67K)

it looks like a miniaturized version of Vulcan

How to yaw without tail?

>Why can't you just be excited that there's a 6th generation jet which is actually coming along?
Because there is no 6th generation jet which is actually coming along. There's only you throwing around ridiculous b8.

Attached: 1518401786127.jpg (511x512, 59K)

>an optionally manned fighter is somehow not a generation ahead of what we have at the moment

Why are you so worked up? are you jealous? Seriously.

Is it supposed to fly upside down?

see

I know it's been a long time, but where were you when Blair was around? Even if Labour is good for jobs they've never been good for defense, especially not seeing as recent party policies seem to be giving money from defense to social. But I digress and derail the thread.

I'm worried that this thing will get cancelled.

I think you'll find the defence budget has been cut under every conservative government.

Conservatives talk big on defence but then impose huge cuts. our new defence minister seems to be the best we've had for a while though.

Agreed. I really want leadership that understands the importance of defence and is willing to commit money to it properly instead of imposing cuts.

6th

>optionally manned
>directed energy weapons
>newtorked weapons for swarm
>hypersonic weapons

although that being said it can be argued that it's just gen 5+, some might consider 6th gen fighters to be hypersonic themselves.

it's not like the brackets have ever really meant much.