Shot placement and capacity, or stopping power Jow Forums?

Shot placement and capacity, or stopping power Jow Forums?

Attached: hmmmmm.jpg (609x184, 28K)

The biggest caliber you can shoot comfortably in defensive drills.
The biggest gun you can conceal.

In order of importance for defensive shootings:
1. Hitting your target (shot placement)
2. Hitting your target in an incapacitating manner (shot placemt and penetration)
3. Stacking effective hits to incapacitate the target faster (penetration and capacity)

Literally both.

Attached: 62590_1.jpg (550x550, 27K)

Good choice.

Attached: 92a1_zoom005.jpg (606x600, 53K)

Are you seriously implying stopping power denigrates my shot placement you little shit? How about you learn to shoot instead.

>implying stopping power is real
Boomer detected

Attached: IMG_7401.jpg (480x337, 30K)

Long as ya hit what you're shooting at, just about anything will do the trick alright. Pick whatever is comfy and works for you.

More energy transfer is obviously a good thing, but if you can't put shots on target because you have a 20 degree flinch then your fuddy five or best millimeter isn't going to do much. I'd rather carry a PMR30 that I could magdump into a cereal bowl sized circle than a 10mm loaded with Underwood or Buffalo Bore.

Stoppan powah is worthless without good shot placement.
A 5.7mm put in the heart or lungs does FAR more than a .45ACP put in the foot or hand. Likewise, a good .45ACP put in the heart means a lot more than a few dozen 5.7mms riddling the legs and gut.

That said, I'd choose 9mm Luger over any of these, preferably a good 147gr +P hollowpoint or something, and with a good steel frame of a gun, not only making recoil easy, but it's a gun that if necessary, you can club someone in the face with and you can count it hurting, and the gun not breaking.

Attached: 5906 9mm pistol.jpg (600x431, 128K)

>missing reliability
Glock 34 best

Have you ever been shot in the chest with a 45?
I am being serious, the test works with or without Kevlar.
Compare a 9mm to a 45 by getting shot with both with a vest on.
I guarantee the 45 has more bone crushing force.

Stopping power.

I'll take people's concerns about shot placement and capacity more seriously when they start carrying a .22

Until they I carry 45.

More projectile mass makes penetrating hard media easier (such as bone, but also glass, wood, dry wall, etc), though the .45ACP has a pretty impressive bullet weight, it's also not blazingly fast, so a good 9mm load can actually compete with it pretty well.

>read
Mass is not the only thing to make power, especially since it's been proven that handgun cartridges are so remarkably weak that "muh stoppan powur" will never actually exist in a small handgun

True, true.
You really need to actually step up to Magnums and handcannons for real stoppan powah, .357 Magnum being minimum (and not a bad performer).

If there was a gun that wasn't huge, and the recoil could be easily controlled, or I could train it to be, I think it could be neat to carry a .45 WinMag pistol.

>comparing a real gun to a .22
Spotted the nogunz
Also .32 and .380 are incredibly popular carry caryridges

I suppose the shock from super high velocities like the 5.7 could potentially be considered stopping power. It wouldn't be too different from getting hit with a 5.56

If you want stopping power then just switch to something like .357, if you can't shoot for shit then go with capacity.

You don't fucking carry at all, you fucking noguns summerfaggot.

An FBI study concluded that the differences between 9x19, 40SW, and 45ACP and it's ability to stop a target is negligible. That being said 9x19 is cheaper to shoot, has a variety of different handguns chambered for it, and can easily have large magazine sizes exceeding 20 rounds. I will say 45ACP is a really good option for those looking to have a suppressed handgun due to the lower velocity.

>5.7x28 is comparable to 5.56x45
Go home no guns

Why not all of them if you're getting a full size pistol.

>An FBI study
it's one stupid flawed study, not the Bullet Bible. People need to stop invoking it for all their caliber arguments like they're quoting the red text from Gospel of John.

Attached: 719015052_1.jpg (1000x703, 70K)

>5.7
There's some screencap from a forum about a former SWAT guy going into great detail about their experience with 5.7 and even 4.6 and how they'd have to empty a magazine before the threat would stop. I'll post it if I can find it again...

>Shot placement
Yes, with effective shot placement even a 22LR could incapacitate someone. However the more energy a bullet can transfer within tissue the more forgiving it can be with how accurate you are.

>Capacity
Capacity simply gives you more chances to get it right. Most gun uses, even with police, tend to be over in five or six shots at the most. Then again, there's outliers: there's a story about a cop that carries something stupid like 140+ rounds on him at all times because he perforated some dude that would not stop coming.

Found it, search for "cop carries 145 rounds", tl;dr:
>shot some dude 14 times (total shot 33 rounds)
>.45 ACP JHP (Glock 21)
>Six fatal hits
>Cop was sniper and firearms instructor
>Perp was still alive when he got to the hospital
>Clean tox-screen too
>Cop now carries 145 rounds of 9mm JHP

Then again, there was that other cop in Austin, that shot a guy from 104 yards away, standing, off-hand, while holding the reins of two horses. One shot, dropped a guy with a .40S&W.

So no two situations can ever be alike. I say CC what is comfortable with the highest capacity in 9mm JHP or higher. If you OWB then may as well go for a full-size double stack of your choice.

>one study that makes sense is inferior to my illogical argument without any backing other than fudd lore
Burden of proof is on you dipshit, and your grandpa saying he saw a Jap fly twenty feet back after being hit with a .45 don't count

9mm 147gr subsonics are quieter than .45ACP

Capacity. Stopping power is a nebulous concept that can't be relied on. I'd rather have to doubletap every enemy rather than hope that one bullet will do the job.

The flip side to this is range and penetration tend to be inverse to capacity. Bigger bullets travel farther and can punch through concealment more effectively but I digress.

patrician handgun choice my dude

>it's one stupid flawed study, not the Bullet Bible.

However, even a flawed study is more than no study. Do you have any study that says some rounds are more powerful than others?

Actually mass is only a part of that equation. it's really a combination of momentum and projectile surface area. due to the low velocity and high surface area of .45 it's hardly a great hard barrier penetrator.
>especially since it's been proven that handgun cartridges are so remarkably weak that "muh stoppan powur" will never actually exist in a small handgun
Oh, it's the "velocity/energy of a round doesn't matter physics only cares about whether you called the gun chucking the bullet a rifle or handgun" argument. One of my favorite peeves. Many people can handle firearms with recoil in the 700-900 ftlbs area to an acceptable degree and with medium weight/velocity loadings that have comparable or even higher felt recoil than low weight/high velocity loadings. it's entirely possible to get SBR level performance from a handgun, for some reason nobody bothers to go about it in a non retarded way(cough, cough, 5.7/4.6). Hell, even some current calibers like .357 can get pretty friggin close chucking a 65gr projectile north of 2100fps with recoil lighter than full house .357 magnum. Really boggles the mind that all of these light for caliber ammo makers shoot themselves in the foot with stupid prefragmented or unproven cavitating bullet designs as opposed to just making a minimally expanding design. Flesh and blood won't be able to tell the difference between one .40" 65gr projectile going at 2200fps and another one.
even out of an SBR 5.56 is multiple times more powerful and considerably faster than 5.7 out of a handgun. Also the field reports on 5.7/4.6 are really bad.
>There's some screencap from a forum about a former SWAT guy going into great detail about their experience with 5.7 and even 4.6 and how they'd have to empty a magazine before the threat would stop. I'll post it if I can find it again...
Probably that GKR post on pistol training's forum. Seems the website is down right now.

>due to the low velocity and high surface area of .45 it's hardly a great hard barrier penetrator
True, that's why .45 Super is much more appealing to me.

If stopping power didn't exist there'd be no reason to carry guns.
>checkmate

>stopping power doesn't exist
>several studies show that all guns stop people immediately at least around 40% of the time
>carrying a knife for self defense is almost universally scoffed at in the firearms community because knife self defense lacks stopping power
Really gets the noggin joggin.

That's not at all why it's scoffed at.

Really? the number one complaint that comes up in my experience is:
>There's no winner in a knife fight! they'll take minutes to go down and stop stabbing you! even if they're unarmed they'll be beating the shit out of you, then take your knife and stab you with it!
Of course this is also backed up by just about every single video of a stabbing i've watched where the stabee is upright and fighting or walking around for seconds or minutes until they keel over.

Yeah, that has nothing to do with "stopping power" but the fact that in order to use the weapon you'll have to enter contact distances and rely on strength, speed and coordination significantly more than with a gun. You also lose the ability to use it directly from concealment without presentation. And yes, in a fight, throwing jagged metal into the mix increases the chance that both of you will get cut.

But it has nothing to do with "stopping power" and it's a bit over-simplistic to even analyze it in that manner.

Life is all about balance faggot.

like a physics textbook?