I can't believe the Steyr ACR was dropped

4800 FPS rrrrrreEEEEEE wouldn't that be a fucking dramatic increase in accuracy since you have to lead your targets less and account for drop less?

Attached: steyr.jpg (197x256, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NBntnnCFvOk
youtube.com/watch?v=aY19tDMDvr4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I like Flechette rifles, someone should get back on the concept.

Are there any public ballistic gel tests from the program?

Do you have a better image all i see are pixles senpai

public? I don't think so but I did see something saying it would tumble because the fucker was going so god damn fast.

Body armor penetration would have been outstanding but terminal ballistics would have been poor. There's no wound cavity! Hydrostatic Shock is a lie!

6.5CBJ allegedly has pretty good terminal ballistics, the spoon design seems good enough.

>The 6.5 CBJ "Ball" is Tungsten Carbide and has the sectional density and hardness of such an expensive material.

>becomes hard cover

Attached: leaf.jpg (1600x1200, 129K)

No.

We all know the AAI entry was the best.

Attached: DWZwnxmW4AIC591.jpg large.jpg (2048x529, 192K)

Idk maybe it would be good for urban ops because in buildings wind wouldn't blow your bullets away and the ultra light bullets wouldn't penetrate walls and stuff.

You would also burn your barrel out within a thousand rounds.

Attached: unfohyes.png (390x456, 124K)

No, you fucking idiot. The accuracy was a mess.
>but what about these two only partially related things?!
No. Small arm flechettes stabilize like total ass.

Tungsten isn't viable for mass issue. The promise of flechette ammunition is the armor piercing capability without exotic materials.

on the note of prototypes, were there any small caliber rifles with reciprocating barrel, like gm6?
youtube.com/watch?v=NBntnnCFvOk

I believe the Johnson rifle was short recoil. It was in .30-06, though.

it's a smoothbore

> automatic combat rifle
> rifle
> smoothbore
Lmaololrofl

No but it really was

It was recoil operated of a sort. That's the reason it had no bayo

youtube.com/watch?v=aY19tDMDvr4

You dolts don't realize the ACR program was dropped not because the 4 rifles were not good, but because they were not better enough than the M4 to justify replacing every rifle in US service

Example. Your paid off 2013 Toyota Tacoma does not have the features of the 2019 Tacoma. Does a charging pad and bluetooth justify buying a new vehicle?

No, that's what happens when you set silly program goals like needing to double hit probability. Firearms are mature enough technology that setting the bar so high just guarantees failure.

They set the bar at an impossibly high level for these rifles, although a lot of them are indeed very polarizing.

It actually did have a bayonet but it was puny because the added mass of an actual bayonet would cause malfunctions.

So many missed opportunities in those trials...

Attached: 1531536306343.jpg (700x500, 52K)

It was a stupid idea.

Unpopular opinion

The G11 was a novel concept, but its over-engineered design would have caused disastrous issues if it had seen widespread adoption. It would have been unpopular with the troops, and it would maintain a poor reputation through the life of the weapon. German special forces units would have still began M4 pattern rifles because of their elegant simplicity.

Worst of all the G11's novel improvements would not translate into real world advantages over Soviet bloc forces. Small arms cause negligible casualties in modern mechanized war.

Shhhh, I want my Teutonic space gun

That's not an unpopular opinion, that's the truth. Same goes for all the other ACRs, probably except for Colt's submission. At least it could be fixed into something better than what was introduced, in my opinion.

Don't worry, he's retarded.

The gum had some major feeding and ejection issues made worse by the plastic cases it was designed to use. And while yes the projectiles were fast as hell they were also very low mass and would be deflected by light foliage and wind. It was a good concept that needed more work that unfortunately it never had the chance to receive when the whole program was scrapped.

>nobody will notice if we stick an AK front sight on there.

Maybe try dtic? I know it has some of the G11 reports, if you look for just general reports on the program you might find information about the terminal effects.

The CBJ projectile is 2.5x the diameter of the ACRs fletchette and at least 3x times the weight or more dependent on the CBJ's loading. They're not exactly comparable.