Let's discuss the F/A-18 Hornet for a minute Jow Forums...

Let's discuss the F/A-18 Hornet for a minute Jow Forums. Can we admit that this is one of the most successful airframes of all time? able to endure harsh environments and brutal landings, multirole, at this time of writing still has avionics that are better than 90% of what other nations have, ANd easy to maintain? Not only was this design so good, they upgraded it to an even BETTER variant, and now soon we'll have a more advanced and better model hitting the fleet? What are some other bang for your buck solid aircraft that do their job so well they're still in service many decades after they first flew?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (2000x1110, 487K)

My love

Attached: 1519114472794.jpg (3366x2132, 517K)

Attached: 1519092567885.jpg (3840x2160, 1.11M)

Hey kiddo I’m glad you finally found yourself something to be into besides that weird anime stuff.

A-10 refuses to go away because we have no other low and slow close air support airframes. They try to kill it but it just wont die. Brrrthogs live forever
C130 will seemingly never die and is used for everything from hauling fire retarder to killing things from orbit.

Which is better, brrrthogs or braphogs?
For me, it’s brrrthogs.

>A-10 refuses to go away because we have no other low and slow close air support airframes.

Low and slow is an outdated tactic. All it takes is a raghead with a SAM poking out of a hole to down an A-10. Apaches don't rule the skies blasting Flight of the Valkyries either, they play peekaboo to avoid SAM's. It's the 21'st century, tactics need to evolve.

The F-4 has similar payload and fuel to the super hornet while being faster, why didn't they just build new phantoms with newer turbofans and avionics?

F-15*

There is no fast and low when it's close air support. Dropping bombs from 30,000 feet is safe for the pilot only

Super hornet is not merely a variant, it's an entirely new aircraft with very little parts commonality.

F-16 pilots were known to risk going low and slow simply because they either had no bombs left or couldnt risk friendly fire with their bombs
and so they had to go low and use their 20mm cannon to provide air support

the pilot in this case would wish he had a A-10 rather than an F-16

With the CEP of modern bombs (especially the 1m cep lmao SDB-2), it's actually safer for both the pilot and people on the groud. GAU-8 isn't nearly as accurate or precise by comparison

>A-10 refuses to go away because we have no other low and slow close air support airframes
A-10 refuses to go away because congresscritters like McCain control AF funding. not the Air Force itself

Jesus fucking christ this is the level of Jow Forums in summer

My question to ya'll is why TF did Canada buy Hornets when they don't have carriers? It has to be landed like on a carrier even on a airstrip and its built for carrier ops. We would have been better off with say F-16s. Hopefully they'll replace our shit-tier fleet of upgraded A/B hornets to the F-35 soon if Trudeau stops cucking the military.

Well not really, considering that the F-16 pilots were flying missions there because the A-10s were getting raped by Republican Guard SAMs and AAA

Also, source.

pretty sure you're getting our old hornets when we get our F-35s

>t. australian

Probably better range than the F-16. And autists saying "muh Arctic and ocean flying, we neeeeeeeeeeeeed two engines because we don't understand modern mechanical reliability and thinks it's still 1953"

I guess Super Hornets are an improvement over what we have now

Attached: ap 550x550 12x12 1 transparent t.u1.png (550x550, 142K)

>Dropping bombs from 30,000 feet is safe for the pilot only
What assumption are you making? That the supported infantry is somehow in more danger? Anyways, alt depends on cloud layer.

>laser guided bombs don't exist
>dumb bombs are the main CAS weapon in the current year

Attached: tiresome.jpg (807x659, 42K)

No they weren't. Just so you know the guns on jets aren't exactly pinpoint precise and can spread quite a bit. Good for hitting other maneuvering aircraft but not really good for danger close fire missions.

>slow
>dood let me kill my plane
Please stop.

>Super Hornets
Leaf user, I...

Attached: 2018-07-17 06.13.21-1.png (1080x1107, 222K)

?

Attached: mmm.png (450x49, 6K)

>implying we're giving you the super hornets we got in 2010 to hold us over until all of our f-35s arrive

That's funny because the 30mm cannon has a relatively high rate of friendly fire incidents. CEP of modern bombs is incredibly precise, much more so than a cannon. Are you trolling or just stupid and uneducated?

Attached: 1530667900432.png (303x311, 165K)

>That's funny because the 30mm cannon has a relatively high rate of friendly fire incidents
the armys official stance is that the 30mm cannon can land 80% of their munitions in a 20-ft circle
much moire precise than a bomb, unless the army is lying

Last I checked the Army doesn't operate A-10s.

>the armys official stance is that the 30mm cannon can land 80% of their munitions in a 20-ft
>7m CEP
>This is better than an gbu-39 with a 1m CEO
That is some army tier math alright.

Momma say hi hi.

Attached: 5a79cd64e21c1126008b488a-750-375.jpg (750x375, 44K)

Better speed and range, comparable dimensions and payload-a modernized phantom would be neat.
RCS is probably similar to the original Hornet's, fitting canards for a modicum of maneuverability won't make it too much worse...

Attached: 1b2dd614f23d73ab840d4a7798c5564f--baba-ccv.jpg (736x491, 92K)