Why do you choose a 16” barrel on a rifle which shoots a cartridge that has a significant increase of power even at...

Why do you choose a 16” barrel on a rifle which shoots a cartridge that has a significant increase of power even at 20 inches?

Attached: 7D2CB761-4075-41F6-8291-50FCB3EAAE5C.jpg (640x276, 157K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IUQ5uJW9SD0
youtube.com/watch?v=mxuITJUojiY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because it's extremely ballistically effective at home defense ranges. Especially when compared to handguns.

Attached: 1231230976986.jpg (1080x648, 123K)

I don't, I choose a 14.5"

Because unless you want to use it past 300m, it's perfectly serviceable out of a 16" barrel.

This is coming from someone who only owns a 20" AR.

Because I have a rifle in .308 if I need to kill something beyond 300 yards

>Why do you choose a 16” barrel on a rifle which shoots a cartridge that has a significant increase of power even at 20 inches?

tiny, tiny, tiny arms

the main reason is availability there are just more ar15 "m4 clones" than there are ar15 "m16 clones"

I have a 20 incher A3 clone in my defense vault under my bed, with two 40 round magpulls that alternate green tips and vmax, and a bayonet ready to mount.

Shortest barrel without a Pinned and Welded Compensator. Ballistics are negligible from 14.5"-20" .

Attached: 1489464693509.gif (1892x790, 125K)

Because a 20" at 100 yards is like a 16" at 90 yards. The difference is negligible after a little ways away from the muzzle

I own both. I find the 16 more comfy. 16 for my truck gun and the full 20 for varmint hunting.

I don't know, I just put this 18 inch together

Attached: IMG_20180717_133352578_HDR.jpg (3264x2448, 3.43M)

If all of your rifles had barrels designed for maximum velocity you'd have some pretty unwieldy rifles. 16" is as short as you can go (excluding 14.5" with extended brake pinned and welded) without having to enter NFA territory as an SBR or to use a "pistol brace".

As said, ballistically there isn't much to gain by making the jump from 14.5" to 20", and of those small gains, 16" already makes nearly half of them. The M4 has been in service for a while, and ammunition has been tailored towards this barrel length. With modern loadings, a 16" AR will perform as well as an M4, with a small boost in velocity, while being more compact and lighter than a 20" rifle.

So, even if the difference at extended ranges was dramatic (it isn't and especially not with ammo actually designed to be effective at those ranges) the compact, and light design of a carbine make it an appropriate choice for almost any application where you'd need a 5.56 semi-auto (home defense, camping, target practice, varmint hunting) where performance is almost identical at closer distances.

Another benefit to 16" is the widespread use of midlength gas systems. As they have a less abrupt recoil impulse than carbine gas systems, they make a midlength carbine smoother to shoot, closer to the impulse of a rifle length system.

So the civilian shooter, if they can only own one AR, they would probably be best served by a 16" midlength. It is a series of compromises that doesn't give up much yet offers a lot in utility. Of course, if for whatever reason your personal situation calls for something different, there's utility in barrels from 10.5 to 20 inches.

That's not how that works, stop it and stop using M193 or M855 if you care about terminal performance.

I don't, I use a 10.5 inch.

Easy 0-300 yard killer, still. If I'm engaging people past that, I have better rifles for the job.

Your AR is a defensive weapon and a coyote/deer gun at best, user, why you imagine yourself getting into 300 meter plus firefights is beyond me.

>Why do you choose a 16” barrel
I don't; for those of us not bound by the Hague Conventions, there's ammo that delivers adequate performance from a 7" barrel.

Attached: 516447250_2.jpg (1200x543, 43K)

Like what? And how will it not burst your ear drums and set your house on fire? Are they downloading and using pistol powders or something??

Underrated post.
This.

Attached: 1530315037404.gif (390x205, 1.98M)

What fucking cartridge are you using to get that, some stupid 95 grain handload? It's more like 100 yards and 70 yards, which is a pretty significant difference.

M4 was designed to be fired from a car.
20 inch barrel rifles are quite short already and easy to wield + they weight almost nothing.

Shanks, user, you tickled my pickle.

The average american is a mutt manlet so the firearms need to be scaled down.

A 6'4 aryan would find 24inch firearm chambered in .308 to be a perfect intermediate caliber rifle

>Like what?
youtube.com/watch?v=IUQ5uJW9SD0
>burst ear drums
Hearing protection? Though I don't think there's any risk of burst eardrums without it, unless you're in some sort of confined space.
>house on fire
I don't shoot chucks in my house, user; that would be silly.

But if I had to use my AR-pistola to defend my home against 200-pound woodchucks, I suppose I'd use boring old soft-points.
youtube.com/watch?v=mxuITJUojiY

Im a manlet and I use a 22in barrel .308 standing with no issues. .30 is going to rock anyone back though; I've seen it knock back guys twice my size.

Why would you use a 7inch 5.56 on wood chucks over a 16"?

Or even a .22LR?

Because I have this ugly thing for HD. It gets the job done. Don't need a 20 in barrel to hit shit at 25 meters.

Attached: IMAG0780.jpg (2688x1520, 909K)

>over a 16"
Because I'm not worried about the ballistic drop between the front porch and the garden 50 whole feet away.
And because the 7" is more funner.

It's not my dedicated varmint rifle, if that's what you're thinking; it's a fun gun that's also quite practical for plenty of odd jobs it's not designed around.

>a .22LR
Because I'm not a poorfag who has to count how many pennies he spends blasting garden pests.
And because the AR-pistola is more funner.

>20 inch barrel rifles are quite short already and easy to wield
t. dumbfuck who has never had an A4 while getting in and out of a vehicle dozens of times a day and clearing rooms

>.308
>22 inch barrel
>any subtstantial recoil

Lol, fucking midgets.

>20" is great because it makes m193 JUST AS GOOD as the defensive loads the sbr fags have to buy
daily reminder that speer gold dots will reliably expand out of a 10"barrel further than m193 will reliably fragment out of a 20" barrel. You should be buying good defensive ammo regardless of barrel length if you want optimal performance.

AR users know that ounces make pounds but don't believe that inches make fps.

So loaded with the 2 of the worst defensive rounds you can get. Great choice there

If you're not running the front buis all the way forward for extra rail space why do you have it turned backwards?

But on average, it's great!

>an expanding .22

Attached: 1531530408403.png (800x800, 84K)

So when he c-clamps it auto-deploys the front sight, duh.

16" is still a lot of inches

As a king manlet I would like to say thou should fucketh thine own mother

wow doc roberts BTFO, im sure you know better than him user. Hes so dumb for recommending expanding 5.56 that has been adopted by a variety of agencies
>Dr. Roberts is currently on staff at Stanford University Medical Center; this is a large teaching hospital and Level I Trauma center were he performs hospital dentistry and surgery. After completing his residency at Navy Hospital Oakland in 1989 while on active military duty, he studied at the Army Wound Ballistic Research Laboratory at the Letterman Army Institute of Research and became one of the first members of the International Wound Ballistic Association. Since then, he has been tasked with performing military, law
enforcement, and privately funded independent wound ballistic testing and analysis. He remains a Navy Reserve officer and has recently served on the Joint Service Wound Ballistic IPT, as well as being a consultant to the Joint FBI-USMC
munitions testing program and the TSWG MURG program. He is frequently asked to provide wound ballistic technical assistance to numerous U.S. and allied SOF units and organizations. In addition, he is a technical advisor to the Association of Firearms and Toolmark Examiners, as well as to a
variety of Federal, State, and municipal law enforcement agencies. He has been a sworn Reserve Police Officer in the San Francisco Bay Area, where he now he serves in an LE training role.
FBI btfo too, XM556FBIT3 is obviously an awful load and they're brainlets for using expanding 5.56

>the type of ammo used by the FBI who puts a ton of effort into optimal ammo selection, a variety of other federal agencies, and is universally agreed upon by pretty much every terminal ballistics expert to be good ammo is bad
retard please leave you're ruining the board

>didn't we have this thread last night?
14.5" master race checking in

>FBI who puts a ton of effort into optimal ammo
>10mm
>no .40
>no 9mm
>expanding .22

Attached: 1531530329420.jpg (645x729, 99K)

>an expanding .22
You make my .22 expand user.

Attached: 1428010349764.gif (680x382, 569K)

I've never heard that before thanks for what sounds like a reasonable idea. I've never used the spring loaded magpuls so I didn't know where the button was.

I have a handgun for home defense and concealed carry. A 20 inch A4 clone for SHTF. And a 16 inch AK variant in 7.62X39 for everything in between. I'd still like a 14.5 pinned and welded AR and an 11.5 AR pistol. You can never have to many options.

I really doubt that's the intent, but honestly, dumber ideas have been implemented.

50gr tsx (expanding) vs fragmenting rounds

Attached: 724.png (1046x477, 566K)

I gave mine too my dad after I realized it was a meme

Attached: 20170713_184014-01.jpg (1296x2304, 882K)

Look how freakin cute that little mushroom is

Attached: 1530827853662.jpg (923x713, 62K)

What's that round ball in the ballistic gel?
Looks like a BB, do they calibrate it with a BB gun like the mythbusters did?

yeah its for calibration

I find that really funny, you'd think they had some super fancy test rig but nope, just a bb gun.

this.

those of us stuck in huge cities/suburbs know that stats about long distance engagements are irrelevant, I'd rather have something that's short, light weight, and excels in CQB and is perfectly adequate in intermediate ranges (50-300)

Attached: 1524878802809.gif (420x420, 1.61M)

I call bullshit on this pic.
i had this very same rifle/scope setup and you need the neck of a giraffe to get within that scopes eye relief.

fuckin slabside on an a2.
what was colt thinking.

its all the same shit to a civilian. 6" of barrel is nothing in terms of weight, ergonomics or internal ballistics on a rifle.

16 versus 20 is 4 inches. 14" is NFA territory

Hell even if you live in the middle of nowhere (I used to) you're still not going to get into a 300+ firefight CONUS.

Even if "muh SHTF" happens, you probably won't because it's a small portion of the population that can shoot past 300 meters and they're of similar hobby and prepared mindset to you so your likelihood of meeting them under hostile conditions is very low.

The farthest you'll ever shoot these things at another human CONUS is maybe 50m, probably closer to 50 feet and less.

Even if you do use yours for hunting, you're still unlikely to be shooting past 250-300 on anything deer or man-sized.

I know Jow Forums is LARPerator central, but Christ on sails.

so? people get pinned 14.5"

I know that feel.

Attached: 175648_1589072448698_5422276_o.jpg (2048x1365, 654K)

>not a 10.5" with folding stock so he can put his ar in a backpack

>have a gun that can take down a man reliably at 300
>but you dont need to 50 is all you need
by that logic you shoud just stick to .45acp

You're a fucking idiot. Literally anything 10.5 and above is gonna be 0-300 capable, I'm just stating the obvious fact that you'll never use it past 50m on a person because you'll probably never use it on a person at all and if you do it will be within your house or your immediate yard most likely.

So what I'm saying is, since you suck at reading comprehension because you haven't made it that far in school I guess and I have to spell it out for you, is that barrel length beyond 10.5-ish give or take and onward is an irrelevant conversation subject. It doesn't matter what length you're using within reason because it's still going to do everything you're going to reasonably use it for. Be it 20 inch or 16 or 10.5 or 18. So to argue about muh better ballistics, muh extended point and area accuracy, muh 5.56 is designed for a 20 inch is all fucking irrelevant in the grand scheme.

9mm doesn't achieve its best burn out of a Glock 43 or even a 19 but it doesn't matter because those are reasonably sized guns more than capable of anything you'll want to do with a carry gun.

Want a fucking picture?

It was cheaper and easier to buy a ruger 556 at $540 than a 20 inch ar. I would like to get an a2 copy at some point though

It has better handling in close fighting because of less weight in the front.

>its all irrelevant how far you shoot the gun
so, you should stick to .45acp

This, living in an urban area changes what you need out of a rifle

Ah, I'm being trolled.

no u faget
why even have a rifle that can shoot 300 if you dont shoot 300?
why have a 10" barrel when you can have a 4" barrel?

That is a grotesque little piglet. I love it.

I do shoot 300, and with a 10.5.

I'm also intelligent enough to realize that if I ever *need* it, it'll be up close and there'll be no practical difference between it and a 16 and an 18 and a 20.

When I do shoot game with it, I generally shoot at 100-200 or less. I'm confident with it out to 300.

If you want any barrel length within reason, go with it. What I'm saying is that when it comes down to the nut-cutting, there'll be no real difference.

The real question is why I'm replying to a troll.

>need
You don't belong here

>The real question is why I'm replying to a troll
the whole thread is a troll by your logic

I think you replied to the wrong guy.

5'9, 284 here and let me tell you some thing you piece of fucking shit.

I'm handsome as fuck and have a babyface that allows me to pull easy teen pussy because of it. You should see some of the tight little bodies I've fucked. I have a 5in dick and not a single girl I have ever banged has failed to text/call me for a bootycall late at night. I embrace any challenge I get from someone who tries to stand in my face and intimidate me with their slim figure, because it's pathetic. Large mass, fast reflexes, and ridiculous tricep strength will allow me to either 1) quickly take you to the ground where I will stomp your ugly face or 2 out last you with body punches because your shitty, underweight frame required to take those extra punches made you your frail skeleton break down. I make 85k a year as an mid-level engineering manager at Ford (I'm 21 btw, they will most likely promote me to upper management within the next 2-3 years). I fuck shit up in every single sport and would destroy any of you. I've been compared to Butterbean in my boxing style. powerful precise punches, knocking out each opponent in front of me. I have 20 k/o's at my local gym and I made the varsity football team freshman year as starting defensive end but boxing and football take up too much time and training so I can't dominate both.

Sports I would destroy you at in order

Boxing Football E-sports Baseball Wrestling Rugby Golf Footgolf Ping Pong others

I know you. Ugly is a given. Probably curly hair. Tried to grow a beard but it was patchy and you were sad for awhile about that. Struggling to find a way to validate yourself you took to reminding everyone how you're "under 190 pounds", as if that was some sort of cutoff for being a man. When in reality you're just as pathetic as every other self-hating wannabe piece of shit out there, yet you have somehow convinced yourself you've won the genetic lottery

It pretty much is, these things are generally started by noguns or newguns with no real-world shooting experience or who only leave their basement bedroom with their Brownell's retro clone to punch paper. The desired effect is pretty much to collect (you)'s and it usually works. When it goes wrong, they usually result to semantics, false equivalency and "I was just pretending to be retarded"

true autism

because i wanted a carbine, not a rifle. but thanks for asking!

Why the hell are your rounds alternating, you should know what's coming out of your gun. Also green tips are shit.

And then there's the ad hominem.