In the event of some kind of SHTF, are you going to use FMJ ammo like the military uses...

In the event of some kind of SHTF, are you going to use FMJ ammo like the military uses? Or will you use hollow point ammo?

Attached: 1523775894319.jpg (1074x608, 78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/1998/07/09/nyregion/new-york-police-will-start-using-deadlier-bullets.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Whatever's in the magazine.

>not stockpiling both
L O L

Well I mean, which are you going to prefer? Are you going to fill your magazines with alternating types of ammo? 15 FMJ and 15 hollow point?

So you just shut your eyes and pick at random when buying ammo?

For what purpose?
>fuck there's a soft target/game animal
>give me a minute while I strip out all these fmj rounds
If you're going toe to toe with armored folks then fmj, if you're hunting or shooting soft things then put some soft points in. Super simple stuff.

Ball. If it really comes to that I'm not risky a failure to feed, keeping things NATO spec. My AKs and PTR could care less what I use, though.

The military does not use hollow point ammo at all though. For the purpose of killing bad guys in any setting, they see no need to use anything less penetrative than M193. Why would civilians fare any differently in a SHTF scenario? That's why I'm wondering if there is any point in stockpiling the more expensive ammo

Attached: 1521297363296.jpg (1024x712, 136K)

HP's wouldn't penetrate anything, especially if you're trying to shoot someone behind a wall or furniture.

Hague convention outlaws expanding ammunition in warfare I'm sure they'd use it otherwise.

Attached: bowl of stupid.jpg (335x488, 77K)

FMJ.
Over penetration is a myth.
However I currently have +P hollow points in my carry pistol right now because the manufacturer uses it's own powder that promises expansion and penetration.
Rifle cartridges should always be FMJ, if not steel core (with consideration that steel core fucks with ballistics).
Why aren't your mags already loaded?

Attached: corbondpx.jpg (500x398, 44K)

>Why aren’t your mags already loaded
>wanting your magazine springing to be weak with SHTF comes

Springs only lose strength when they are put under tension or tension is released.
If they stay under pressure, they will not lose strength.

Well FBI

I don't know. Guess i'll use whatever the Russians are air dropping me.

All Mags(33) loaded with m855....

For rifles, almost exclusively FMJ. For pistols, both FMJ and some hollow points.

My girlfriend has an alcoholic cat. Fucker smells beer and she goes apeshit trying to get it.

US never signed the agreement for expanding ammo. Have seen hollow points for certain purposes, just sayin...

is this true? I'm about to go load all of my magazines. please someone tell me this isn't true

Attached: 20180615_190653.jpg (2576x1932, 2.04M)

Take 1 or 2 out of each. So basically 28 per 30 rnd, etc. If you have metal mags you may not have to worry.

user speaks the truth. Magazines can be loaded indefinitely. It’s the constant loading and unloading that kills springs.

I heard it from a mechanical engineer and it seems to be an industry consensus.
I only own like 15 regular capacity mags cause I live in a ban state (we have to buy them out of state), but they are all loaded to 28.
But 28 because they are AR mags and AR style mags are known for putting pressure on BCGs when the mags are fully loaded making loading the first round more difficult than AK style mags.

Nice targets

It’s not true. That’s why the M9 jammed so much. The mags were left loaded for a year

Dont make me post about my cat being a Navy Seal.

Attached: Curve Cat.png (1273x755, 1.06M)

Yea...that's why M9s jam so much.
Probably the same thing with 1911s too, huh?

Why are you inserting loaded magazines against a closed bolt?

Because it's preferable to reload your gun when someone isn't shooting at you rather than at a moments notice when someone is shooting at you.

thanks for the info. I'm going to load all my mags this weekend

I'm not sure what you mean.

Storing the AR loaded? Pull bolt back and engage the BHO, insert loaded magazine, release bolt. Now you have 1 in the chamber and 29 in the mag.

Reloading while shooting? The BHO is holding the bolt back for quick and easy reloading.

>over-penetration is a myth
>a myth

Attached: 1530153801695.jpg (184x184, 6K)

Hes talking about swapping out a partly used mag for a full one, normally referred to as a tactical reload.

You don't need to download your AR mags. The only reason you would want to is it can be difficult to seat on a closed chamber but I usually don't have any problems.

I keep mine loaded 30+1. All it takes is a healthy tap to seat the magazine.

Feeding lips on non-metal mags can be an issue if stored too long or in the wrong environment at full capacity.
For now, but if PMAGS or other you might want to look into it.

I tend to hoard my hp and rotate though fmj as I target shoot

Let's see
>4000 rds 22lr (thunderbolt)
>500 rds 9mm fmj
>200 rds 9mm hp
>25 rds 380 hydra-shok hp
>100 rds 380 fmj
>50 38 SPC Speer gold dots hp
>300 38 SPC fmj
>3 38/357 rat shot
>300 357 SJHP
>1000 62 grain 5.56 fmj
>2000 7.62x39 fmj
>300 308 soft point
>60 8mm soft point
>40 30-06 soft point
>220 7.62x54R
>200 12 gauge 00 buck 2 3/4
>300 12 gauge #8 bird shot
>1000+- 5.45x39 7n6

I'd like to grab another 500 rds of 9mm fmj, more 30-06, and some more en blocs

Attached: IMG_20180415_005547879.jpg (3840x2160, 2.8M)

Oh, duh.

I do to. Besides, all my mags can damn near hold 31. I've heard that older mags were tighter, but I've never encountered one. It's my suspicion that's just some Mattel rifle-type Vietnam bullshit.

Why not just get silver or white duct tape and write on those with the same marker? Just saying.

If you have an example, even ONE, of someone hitting their target and the round going through and hitting another person, I'm all ears.
Missing and hitting someone because the person (likely a cop) wasn't paying attention to what was around their target doesn't count and is not over penetration.

It's what I had on hand when I labeled the boxes. They live in a cool dark place where they don't get read much

Soft point

Why not buy a 75 cent white grease pencil, and write directly on the ammo cans?

Attached: 1451842502550.gif (281x295, 2.97M)

Attached: tyTc1Nl (2).jpg (400x400, 12K)

I can't remember enough to bring up the story with a quick google search, but I know there's a self-defense shooting that used to be cited on here all the time where a bullet over-penetrated and hit someone else.

When you find it let me know.
I've literally never heard of it happening.

You and I are both suggesting he have gone out and purchased additional materials. However, a grease pencil is a lot cheaper than a roll of duck tape, and would provide a much more durable result.

I kept a 10 rd factory Glock mag loaded, and the thing split open. Glock replaced it for free of course.

Then the spring did its job keeping it at a high pressure.

If shtf I'd carry my AK loaded with golden tiger 124 grain fmj 7.62x39's and g19 with golden Sabre 147 grain hp. In the unlikely event I outlived my 200 rds of hp sidearm ammo I guess I'd be fmj too

Attached: images (13).jpg (310x163, 12K)

I haven't, and I'm not going to look any more, but I did come up with this, which should satisfy you.

nytimes.com/1998/07/09/nyregion/new-york-police-will-start-using-deadlier-bullets.html
>According to statistics released by the department, 15 innocent bystanders were struck by police officers using full-metal-jacket bullets during 1995 and 1996, the police said. Eight were hit directly, five were hit by bullets that had passed through other people and two were hit by bullets that had passed through objects.

>I've literally never heard of it happening.
I've never met someone with smallpox, but that doesn't mean I think vaccines are bullshit. My parents have a scar on their arms for a reason. Likewise, civilians have universally switched to HP ammo for defensive shooting, for a reason.

JHP in the handguns, just like local police. M118LR (an "open tip" round) in the rifle, just like military.
00 buckshot in the 12 ga pump, just like in FPS games.

I've seen M9s still in service that are so used it looks like they were nickel finished. I'm sure the issue is a worn out gun and worn out mag not due to mags being loaded too long

I do this but always regret it when I see the dimpled primer from the free floated firing pin hitting after the bolt flies into battery

golden tiger is based. My AKM and my 5.45 Saiga are my babes. I would dual wield them when shtf

Hey, I have very similar linoleum in my laundry room.

I leave all mags for rifles and pistols loaded to max capacity. Been that way for years. No issues. If you are worried, buy a couple of extra new springs, and a couple of extra mags to keep unloaded

I reload my own 68gr BTHP to a velocity of 2900 fps out my 20" AR.

Well I have 25 magazines loaded with ball. See no reason to load HP into a rifle. With the cheaper ammo I've got another 8 tins with about 5k socked away in the den.

Attached: 1492135977327.gif (834x556, 44K)

Depends on spring material
Creep fatigue is a thing.

I was issued hollow points in Iraq. You niggers have no idea wtf you are talking about.

Your funeral, guess there will be more loot for me

I’ll use whatever comes to hand, including reloads. I don’t plan on lugging around 20 mags, and burning through them in a half hour. First of all if I wind up in that kind of firefight, I’ve egregiously fucked up. I’m not on active duty anymore, a helo isn’t going to drop off a pallet of ammo. Nor is a medic going to stabilize me if I get hit, while we wait for the dust-off.

No, best case scenario is, I’m carrying a couple of mags plus 1 in the well. Why? Because I’m trying to get a ton of other shit done and I don’t need to be loaded down with 25 pounds of ammo and armor. Maybe I’m working a field of crops, or running a water line, or any one of the million other things you wind up doing because there’s no rear echelon of support troops to handle all of that.

You use what you can get in the moment. Having 10K rounds of M193 is wonderful. It’s pretty useless, though, if it’s back in your bunker while you’re busy trying to fend off the cholos trying to snag some of your chickens.

I'd use FMJ, because I would like to be able to take out the Mad Max theme cars that will take over the streets shortly after SHTF.

Attached: mad-max-cover2.jpg (640x333, 66K)

"THE LAST ROUND YOU'LL EVER NEED!"
He'll yeah borther!

Attached: RIP-Finish.jpg (916x657, 97K)

>tfw all revolutionaries in Civil War 2.0 will be using 50 year-old Corrosive Soviet 7.62x39

Attached: 1525306407731.jpg (1175x946, 588K)

I have a lot of FMJ stockpiled. It's cheap and I can buy a lot of it and I never plan to shoot someone just once. Five to twenty rounds dumped into center mass renders the stopping power debate moot.

It's probably fudd lore but it doesn't hurt to keep most of them unloaded and have dedicated mags for self defense and range use. If you need more than five magazines or so then you'll probably have sufficient warning to load them.

I have literal piles of M855 on hand and stacks of M855 bullets, powder, primers and cases stashed away with my reloading gear. That's what I intend to use.

>Eight were hit directly, five were hit by bullets that had passed through other people and two were hit by bullets that had passed through objects.
So seven total. The first eight would have been messed up even more if they weren't using fmj. Also it's worth noting the NYPD has a horrible track record of assuming civilian crowds are a safe backstop. Any one else remember the New York "mass shooting" in 2012 that had 9 injured and the "gunman" dead, but it was later revealed that all 9 people were hit by NYPD?

Sure convinced me with that hot reaction pic fagtron.
>good enough to kill a 300 lbs boar, but not a human

Thats because the nypd have retarded 20lbs triggers mandated by law.

12lbs

Fmj

soft points

>not 7.62x54r

I have shot through 2 large hogs with a hardcast 45-70. Right through two and into the berm behind them another 18+ inches.

>45-70 out of a rifle is the same as 9mm out of a 3 inch barrel
I'm glad posted what he did, but that's still apples and oranges.

FMJ for close in work.
OTM for extended range.

you can buy greentip for pretty cheap these days sites like PSA sell them in bulk

PSA greentip isn't any worse than greentip purchased locally it's all the same shit

but it doesn't do shit to plates

so when SHTF this isn't going to be some yugoslavian type shit

it's going to be the well armed militarized police agaisnt you and your family and a couple mags of green tip aren't going to do shit

I know metal under strain is more susceptible to corrosion. If you bend a nail it will corrode at the bend first.

Having a spring under compression probably does something to it, but it's not as bad as compressing and decompressing.

Wouldn't softpoints be better because 556 has super high velocity? I'd probably keep some stuff to punch through level III armor as well.

Holy shit you fudd.
>makes loading the first round difficult
No it doesn’t. You’re literally pulling the charging handle to the rear and releasing the said handle.

That's true but creep is typically only a thing in high temperature applications. Guess it would depend a lot on the material and the actual amount of compression. If you enter plastic deformation just by loading the mag you will have issues.

if you're worries about it why not keep some spare magazine springs in a plastic bag coated with a good qualuiity gun specific lube or clean motor oil in the safe next to the mags under full weight

mag springs are $2

Using the charging handle has nothing to do with it...

Attached: 1481558706633.png (497x576, 1.09M)

I see you use a Magnum Research BFR as your carry gun too.

>If you bend a nail it will corrode at the bend first.
Most nails are galvanized or coated in some way, bending them causes the coating to flake off or at least crack and this reduces its corrosion resistance at the bend.

This is why you train for headshots and use 7n6.

A 300 pound boar isnt wearing denim, cotton, leather, kevlar or plates. Yes, they have very thick skin, but in my experience, that skin only absorbs like skin and thin layered fat whereas man mad materials slow down and stop.

story? seems like a possible violation of international treaty america signed

A) By "hollow point" bullets he means open tip match ones like Mk262 that still depend on fragmenting to kill and not expansion. The hollow point is an artifact of the jacket being rolled from base to tip and not the other way around like a normal FMJ, this is done for accuracy.

On a Mk318 its more of an artifact of it being a largely copper bullet with a lead filled cavity towards the front and isn't a thin jacketed bullet in the normal manner so the open tip is still just a manufacturing artifact of how the lead gets inside and not to cause it to work like a hollow point.

B) By treaty you are talking about one we never signed but have been following anyways.

>Based

Or they'll use that $350 PSA homebuild to go get 7.62x39

#doubblewidelife

cheaper to just make that psa knock off of the cmmg mutant

Noice! I run an arsenal with x3 fixed optic.
I sold my ak74. If you're within reasonable distance to 28570 I got 1000 rds of 7n6 you can git