Why is the US so behind on railguns compared to China?

How do you keks expect to compete in future naval warfare when you can't even put one of these things on a ship, let alone on land.
>nextbigfuture.com/2018/07/us-has-epidemic-of-big-project-failures-will-watch-china-press-its-railgun-advantage.html

Attached: 747b253db8df52840318069359b5c376-730x430.jpg (730x430, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=58MmOpSm4LY
oni.navy.mil/Portals/12/Intel agencies/PLANavy.jpg?ver=2018-07-16-090249-333
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's an impressive failure.

because missiles do the same thing but just cost more because of (((graft))).

IMPRESSIVE

I believe its the age old fight of Edison vs Tesla

Vely Implessive!

>nextbigfuture

No.

Where's the US railguns then?

Do you want high def video of it rapid fireing? Keep in mind I will need the same from you to keep things fair.

Plenty of videos of the US prototypes being fired. Not sticking it on a boat until all the kinks worked out.
Only slant thing I've seen is a picture of what looks like a railgun on a boat. Until vids of it being fired by the Chinese are out it may as well be a paper mache mockup.

Has China even tested theirs yet?

>hurr they haven't even tested one yet
I'll trust pentagon analysts over armchair fags on Jow Forums any day.

Just down the street from me actually

You dare question quantum chinesium technology?! The Party has said they have it perfected so it is. You don't need evidence.

And I'll trust actual video evidence over some fear mongers trying to get increased funding.

I never said they did or didn't. I don't have access to Chinese internet, I just asked for you to provide the same you are asking of me.

Could it be....that you are here in bad faith to push a viewpoint without any real want to learn?

Pentagon analysts also talked about how Russian radar could beat our stealth and how the T-14 was a major threat to western armor advantage.

it could, and they are
the difference is Russia knows they can't actually beat the US in a war so they don't want war, despite what the left believes

The T-14 isn't a threat because Russia can't make enough to be a threat.

Going no where. Its basically shelfed for now.

because the US does 90% of the RnD for them.

So why aren't American railguns at the same level as China's then?

Because they don't have that remaining 10% that the Chinese has.

youtube.com/watch?v=58MmOpSm4LY

Most of the left doesn't think Russia wants open war, just to sow discord among a rival.

>So why aren't American railguns at the same level as China's then?

We have no clear idea what Chinese railguns can actually do, given that there have been no reports with video evidence, ever, about them actually firing or what systems energies they've operated while doing so. The rest of the article this thread was made for is breathless hyperbole.

Because the US Navy isn't paying for them.

Dude, where is the video of a Chinese Railgun firing?

>us-has-epidemic-of-big-project-failures
It's not an epidemic, it's just Internet became better at remembering things. Back in the days they could get away with this, now it's all saved in webarchive.

Attached: 14300875140050.jpg (3755x2513, 1.44M)

>have the biggest defense budget in the world
>somehow have no money for railguns
What does the US mil have money for? Oh, right.....

Attached: money well spent.jpg (1200x628, 100K)

>FACT: US railgun developement was never defunded and is still underway. Rumors that it had abandoned the project were just that: rumors. There are myriad sources for the specifications of the current iteration as well as some neat videos to check out
>FACT: china claims to have produced and deployed and a naval railgun. There is as of yet no evidence beyond the PLAN's word and the picture of the gun in question mounted on the bow of a test ship.
These are the only things any one person knows for sure. Everything else is conjecture, informed or otherwise.
>OPINION: the Chinese military is notorious for bending the truth or outright lying about their capabilities to lend their forces credibility. The more advanced the technology, the more outlandish their claims tend to be. This isn't to say they're always completely fabricated though. It's possible the PLAN have a deployable railgun, but I'd bet that it, along with most of their high tech equipment, is a halfway measure to exploit some of the benefits of the technology without the corresponding costs of r&d associated with cutting edge gear. Possibly a "chem rail" that uses chemical propellents in conjunction with electromagnetic rails to produce higher velocities than what would normally be practical with chemical propellants alone.

Attached: YallN1ggazPostinInATrollThread.jpg (240x249, 18K)

What about damage miles down range. Everyone has seen the railgun inthawoods that shoots through a bunker or whatever at 50-100 yards.

Does it actually maintain all that kinetic energy 10-50 miles down range? I feel like long range missiles would be way more effective and accurate.

Also isnt aircraft and carriers number one most important in modern naval battles? Seems like a sci fi meme to me.

Attached: iss056e025635.jpg (1041x694, 44K)

>Does it actually maintain all that kinetic energy 10-50 miles down range?

The Hypervelocity Projectiels developed for the railgun project are already being used to extend the range of regular 5" guns. Yes, they retain their energy and have increased accuracy. Yes, a missile probably hits harder and goes further, but instead of costing $25,000 a round, it costs somewhere between $114,000 for an AGM-114 naval Hellfire that only goes five miles at a top speed of mach 1.3, or $11.2 million for a Block IB RIM-161 Standard Missile 3, which has a range of 378 miles and flies at Mach 10.2

Above all else, railguns make conventional naval artillery relevant again.

>nextbigfuture
let's pretend for a second that this isn't a chink shill website passing itself off as a reputable source for military subjects and matters

>10-50 miles
Ralgun with that range is fairly cheap. US can already mass produce this if we want. However the problem is we're at a R/D stage and we want this to scale up from current stage to 100+ miles stage. This causes a lot of problem especially material science engineering issues. Higher range requires more power requires tougher materials that can withstand all those energy discharges. The Chinese Railgun is probably

That pic is shopped, right? RIGHT? I used to be just joking about it, I didn't expect it would become reality...

I don't know how to feel about this desu. On one hand, I feel very glad to see US military become such degenerated cesspool and getting weaker day by day since I'm not American, but on the other hand, I feel sad, repulsive and dead inside to see humanity can actually unirnoically normalize, even praise these disgusting decadent, psychotic filth like it's a good thing and poison the whole world with it...

Oh, I almost forgot

Tianenmen Square 1989
六四事件
Animal Farm

Nope, not shopped.

Attached: priorities.jpg (1024x576, 226K)

>let's just keep pretending everything you dislike and not anti-Chinese, even if it's inconvenient truth, as chink shills.
American Quantum Coping Mechanism, with extra 1776+ genders.

if we wanted our comeback, we would've wiped off your mom's face

Does that mean America is going to let China invent it then steal it and say they did, like Edison did?

what the shit? it's a whole month now?

Can't wait until this satanic shithole collapses and leaves the rest of the world alone.

Attached: faggotry makes us stronger.png (590x790, 747K)

>it's a whole month now?
Apparently.

Attached: dod pride month.jpg (1080x608, 48K)

Don't those railguns still have a proplem with excessive wear?

The excessive wear has inverse relation to range/power of the railgun. There absolutely is a material that can withstand x amount of power from railgun without those excessive wear. (That research won't be public for a while. ) Any more power and the excessive wear starts to come. So that's where the problem is. At short range, we could probably field cheap railguns easily without much excessive wear.

>so why aren't we deploying those short range railguns
Pentagon/Congress has budgets and requirements of the R/D. They don't care about anything else.

I agree that sometimes money gets spent on complete bullshit, but progress is a tread mill.

Having a few misses or a few dead ends is worth it to keep up and keep a head.

Implessive.

With this most lecent achievement, fate has, in a singre stloke, malked the decrine of the west and sperred a new ela of wondlous plospelity and peaceful global dominance for the Chinese wagon, which plomises to filmry stand in shalp contlast to the histolicarry broody ascent of westeln powels and the cluer subjugation it blought to the hunger nations of the wolrd. The dressings of Chinese prasma stearth technoorgy, undetectabre hypelsonic combat vehicres, quantum dilect-cumlent erect ricity, neutlino submaline detectols, gamma titanium mono clystar tulbines, quantum ailclaft calliels, unmanned autonomous A.R. tanks, neal-space barristic ail-to-ail missires, +2km lange ailbulst lifres, and quantum enhanced lairguns wirr be the instluments with which China affilms its nobre stewaldship of 21st centuly wolrd poritics and offels the non-westeln wolrd a diffelent option; an humanist artelnative to the depledations of Westeln readelship and the oppoltunity fol a mole equitabre and dignified murtiraterarism.

Attached: Chinese-Psychokinetic-Army-poster-893x533.jpg (893x533, 297K)

This "degenerated cesspool" can still flatten your military and your country in a matter of days, my mouth-breathing third-world friend.

Are there actual insectniks on here, or is it just third worlders and lefties throwing their hats in with china.

>Does it actually maintain all that kinetic energy 10-50 miles down range?
120 to 250 nautical miles downrange.

> I feel like long range missiles would be way more effective and accurate.

Railguns are a medium range weapon and not intended to replace long range ones. Long range is 1000nm+ and filled by cruise and air-launched missiles.

This is funny on many levels. Just a hint, sharter, nobody needs to flatten your degenerate cesspool as your committing suicide at lightspeed already.

Attached: 205.jpg (486x634, 73K)

t. NATO whore

obsessed

NATO = America. How can I be a "NATO whore" when I want America to perish?

Suicidal.

Q U A N T O N I U M T I G E R S

The ONI considers Chinese railgun to be real.
They have updated their official ID chart with that note, even.

oni.navy.mil/Portals/12/Intel agencies/PLANavy.jpg?ver=2018-07-16-090249-333

Do you want to argue with your own military intelligence?

Attached: ONI chinese railgun.jpg (519x177, 24K)

So you gotta form railgun Voltron to fire that thing or what?

Looks like it. Consistent with the US' naval railgun efforts, the capacitor banks needed to drive a tactically useful railgun are too large for a single ground vehicle.

>since I'm not American
Rent free, you seething pussy. Stay mad.

Because the same guys told us Saddam had WMDs. Fearmongers gonna fearmonger so they get more funding.

Didn't the Air Force have some sort of plasma weapon experiment in the mid 90s? MARAUDER I think it's called. IIRC it was a success and everything's been dark on it ever since.
Have you learned nothing from Saddam and his "WMD's"?

That wasn't the ONI. Also, WMD's have been found.

It's not fearmongering if its plausible intelligence. Even if the ship is a mockup, the Chinese are trying to build railguns and it will happen eventually. We're no longer in the star wars era of future weapons where deployment is "20" years away.

The trick of course was that the only WMDs were the remnants of the program that was sponsored by Western governments prior to the invasion of Kuwait. They were set on making war, so that was the angle they worked as hard as they could.

The Chinese railgun probably is real. The extent of the threat is unknown, but they're experts at not letting any opportunity for fear mongering for high tech R&D go to waste. Since Mattis is against publicizing anything in development, this angle is extra valuable for securing funds for ongoing development on the US' program.

The project's initial success led to it becoming classified, and only a few references to MARAUDER appeared after 1993. No information about the fate of the project has been published after 1995.

Basically it was "STOP LOOKIN AT THIS NIGGER! WE NEED TO WEAPONIZE THIS!"

That was just a brief my dude. They do it for practically every event that effects military members either directly or indirectly. It's just a short presentation to tell people the do's and don'ts like don't go in uniform or don't doing anything that would degrade esprit du corp

Classification doesnt mean shit. It was a dead end program that got canned.

Fuck Jesus. The apostles were butt fucking liers. Jesus was a confidence man and a sexual deviant

>DOD wide LGBT month
>just a brief
COPE

>dod wide
Where does it say that? It uses the same boring looking format every other brief uses. Only thing that sets it apart seems to be the paper signs on the podium. That seems excessive compared to most briefs I've been to. Other than that, that's exactly what it looks like

>liers
Oh yeah, I'm really taking you seriously now

>Where does it say that?
See .

Not who you are quoting but it's just another national "month" like Black History, Hispanic History, or Asian-Pacific Islander History. There's also Women's History and Military Child and a Holocaust one.

What it means is a couple of extra blurbs on AFN and a few signs in the DFAC or around your company area. And then the seniors all have to sit in a briefing that 95% of them take a nap in. Even the briefings are basically just evaluation points for the NCO running it. It's just a dog and pony show to keep interests groups quiet.

>it's just another national "month" like Black History, Hispanic History, or Asian-Pacific Islander History. There's also Women's History and Military Child and a Holocaust one.
And that makes OK?

*it

O man, I hadn't noticed. I was in during this though, and I never heard anything about it. At any rate, it's being blown way out of proportion. Not only that, the original premise from which this whole thing started was just an unsubstantiated rumor. The railgun never got defunded, it was speculated to have been by yet another news outlet claiming to have insite on the project that it definitely did not

>Above all else, railguns make conventional naval artillery relevant again.
Can't wait for battleships to make a return

Attached: 1522703975405.jpg (1024x600, 102K)

Sure, seeing as no one gives a shit about it outside of some pre-written comments and half-hearted acknowledgement.

>rams your merchant ship

>Can't wait for battleships to make a return
Since the firing rate is limited by the charge circuitry more than anything else, I doubt we'll see more than two turrets on a destroyer like platform. There's still no reason to try and defeat railgun rounds or guided missiles with armor plating.

>seeing as no one gives a shit about it outside of some pre-written comments and half-hearted acknowledgement
QUANTUM COPE

Attached: 4200.jpg (1200x630, 111K)

I think some navies might use multiple guns if they can't solve the reliability issues well enough to rely on one.

>t.Pajeet

Attached: eternal-poo.png (1003x860, 436K)

the merchant in your pic isn't a Pajeet but a Singh. Do you know the difference between Hindus and Sikhs?

You do understand that "military intelligence" is an oxymoron right? They consider anything to be a threat but actual threats.

Its funny how the main reason we say its not feasible, barrel lifetime, is something China will never have to admit is a problem because its not like they're going to fire the damn thing.

Looks like an easy target to get fucked by a missle

Probably not because the army will use it for c-ram.

Holly fucking shit!!!!!!! hahahaha
As someone in Naval intelligence, the fact that youre using a unclassified RECOGNITION aid for identifying ships as official proof for a functional rail gun is the most desperate and reaching thing Ive ever seen you 50cents post on Jow Forums.

Its fucking annotated in the notes for that ship because its fucking RECOGNITION FEATURES has changed and helps you identify what vessel it is. The fact youre using this as proof is the most ridiculous shit far surpassing that of Aramtard. Congratulations.

Attached: 1506292302127.jpg (334x334, 155K)

It's a subtle troll. Dont get too upset by it.

fuck dont have a stroke because of b8 my autistic friend

>asking a stupid loaded question
>muh china so advanced
shill

Thats an identification silhouette for an LST with an AA gun on the bow. There's grasping, and then there's this.

Chink damage control

Best response here.

>the current year
>being serious and not shitposting in quantum threads

As a side note, weaponized autism on this site finds good intel, even if its just reposts from Twitter and reddit. The weibo pictures of the railgun Chinese LST were on this site hours before news sites picked the story up.

shart damage control

Attached: 1516596318476.gif (129x150, 73K)

>Railgun advantage.
What railgun advantage? In fact what railgun, is there any evidence the thing is more than a mockup? Has it been fire tested? See the US railgun has been through several iterations already and is working its way towards full power consecutive firings, it's tests have been recorded and are available for viewing. Also no, I don't care what """intelligence""" agencies say, the lying traitorous snakes, if they told me the sky was blue I'd double check to make sure.

Where’s the video, Chang?

Also, assuming you had a railgun, would you use it the same way the Chinese massacred its own citizens in Tianenmen Square 1989?