SHTF

What's your go to gun when SHTF?

Yeah simple question, but am interested in what all of you would go to.

As generic as it sounds, my pick would be the AK-47.

Attached: wm_7993732.jpg (3264x1836, 507K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eWCdLaIlJ94
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>AK-47
S U M M E R T I M E

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This question gets thrown around a lot but the answer can be anything from a Glock to a hunting rifle, or shotgun or even a little .22 depending upon several things.

What level of SHTF are we dealing with?
Is it the seige of Sarajevo or the gradual breakdown of society like in Venezuela? If it's really bad and people are shooting on sight, a good rifle is called for. If there's some degree of order going gray man with a pistol and iiia vest is best because it draws less attention.
Is it a localized disaster or nationwide? If it's local you want to keep it light so you can move to safety, since that increases your odds of survival much more than fighting over anything. If that's not an option a heavier weapon with better durability combat capabilities can give you an edge.
How long will the event go on?
If it's a short-term event you can get away with special snowflake calibers, designs and magazine patterns. If it's prolonged using the most common things (namely in the US AR-15s, although in another country this could be different) becomes valuable because of the availability of spare parts, ammo and magazines. If it's really prolonged and you're in the woods an eady to maintain single-shot shotgun, or bolt-action rifle for taking game and living off grid start to become valuable.

Think of like the L4D universe kind of SHTF. (Basically really really bad.)

It’s past your bedtime. Fuck off.

Pretty much this combo. As basic bitch as it gets, an AR and a Glock 19.

Attached: IMG_20180701_075917.jpg (1743x1307, 714K)

Ok, great, but is that the most probable event? I don't think so. The optimal choice and strategy for that event may not be the optimal choice for a more likely one.

If a hurricane knocks out electricity in your area you aren't going to increase your odds of survival by grabbing an AK and storming into Wal-Mart to raid supplies. You are in fact significantly increasing your odds of being shot. If there really are zombies running around then yes, maybe running around with an AK in plain view might be a good idea.

Things can go wrong in different ways to different extents, so there's no one good answer. Just the right tool for the right job.

Oh crap you're right! Mama is gonna get the belt again!

Full-fun AK or Vz.58 and Makarov if I have to lock up and leave. If I can bunker down? Pistol of choice while doing tasks, belt-fed MG nest or two in the house, AK/Vz and Mak byvthe door with the rest of the BoB setup/rig.

Great answer.

Though I would mostly hide with the AK rather than just run out in the open.

I'm about to blow your mind user. At any given time, all the time, it is day/k/are somewhere in the world. There is no escaping from it.

Yes but if you have to move that AK becomes a but tricky to hide.

I suppose if it's an SBR Draco with a side-folder you can stuff it under a jacket and it wouldn't be obvious at a distance.

Hmm, well there is that. Maybe go for an AK-74u with a folding stock. (Or what you just said.)

Or maybe just get a Glock/Makarov with extended mags.

Don't care if it's a kid's thread I'll say it
>SCAR17
7.62 is an extremely common round
It is the best generalist battle rifle
extremely durable and army approved
>Any basic bitch AR15
If I'm living in a SHTF scenario I will eventually come across a better AR15 so the one I start off with isn't so important to me because it's mostly a backup to my SCAR
5.56 is the only more common rifle round than the 7.62
Parts will be everywhere since it's been the most popular rifle in all of america for about 14 years in a row
>M9
9mm, of all calibers of all guns in all the world, this is the most common, you'd be a fool to not have a 9mm in shtf
Army tested
High quality Beretta italian engineering
lowkeyitssexy

Why does everything gotta turn to shit

Poverty tier rifle is good too. For the price, it being the most rugged of the older BR generation it’s a good shtf rifle

Thank you for not resorting to calling me names. Also very interesting answer.

My AR of course. I didn't spend 2 years putting it together how I like it, and shooting thousands of rounds at the range, and developing a sick BTHP load for it ... to use something else if WROL kicks off.

i was thinking about it

wouldn't a kel tek sub2000 in 9mm or a hi point carbine make for an okay SHTF bargain bin gun?

Just save up $150 more and build a cheapo AR.

An AR15, Glock 19, and silenced takedown 10/22 is the perfect SHTF loadout.

Change my mind.

Build an AR9 in you're set on 9mm.

Attached: 1467056136438[1].png (558x744, 428K)

put it as a hypothetical say you couldn't get a hold of AR parts, but i do like the looks of 9mm ARs

Attached: 351vg9j.jpg (800x312, 20K)

>put it as a hypothetical say you couldn't get a hold of AR parts
Then just kys

How the fuck couldn't you find AR parts in the US?

My favorite SHTF fantasy is bumping into rabbid nugget-fest teir Jow Forumsommandos, who will be identified by their LARP/ cosplay gear or their patches they acquired in comfy times past, and banding together to usher in a new dawn for humanity after overpowering the less autistic militias competing for resources.

Attached: image.jpg (451x440, 40K)

Yup, this.

AR with a good optic with long battery life, and a good light

Attached: 798ABB43-EDA1-4DB9-96BB-00B20F2BB677.jpg (1536x2048, 904K)

Would be ok for moving light. That said an AR with a pencil barrel will be nearly as light, offer better combat capabilities and only cost slightly more.

Of course if you just like PCCs and happen to have one on hand when shit pops off that's as good a reason as any. Not all gun buying decisions need to stem from their value as fighting tools.

If you look at PCCs as SHTF guns they tend to fall between pistols and rifles, but have the disadvantages of both with few advantages to make up for it. A pistol is much lighter and smaller, a light rifle is nearly as small and a bit more capable.

>12 gauge double-barreled/pump because plenty ammo
>9mm handgun because plenty ammo
>22LR rifle because plenty ammo
>AR15/AK47 for combat

Can't go wrong.

What are you expecting to happen that you need so much ammo?

Let me help you out friend; If you own a gun in a common caliber you're going to find a lot of that caliber lying around because 99% of stockpiles cannot be carried away, now on the other hand if you own a gun in a rare caliber because it made you feel good (i.e. 7.7x58 JAP) you aren't going to find jack shit anywhere if you yourself ever run out.

>16" with bayolug
There is ONE thing that drives me fucking nuts it's that, gov profile barrels I can forgive, but not that.

That didn't answer my question

I went full fallout.
>C93 5.56x45mm
>Glock 20Gen4
I've got shitons of 10mm loaded up, and got materials to make more. And the great thing is that I can run .40S&W in a pinch, so even at its worst it's better than a 9mm.

>blm patch
kys

Basically I'm preparing for the Grand European Happening. France is on the brink of civil war for real. It'll blow up anytime now.

Oh well that makes sense if you're not in the US,
But what I was getting at was that if if you're not using the 12 gauge, 9mm, or .22lr for combat what's the point of it having to be a super common caliber? if it's not for combat it'll be for hunting and target practice right? how much of that are you going to be doing in shtf?

Get a pistol or at very least a shotgun, even a double or single barrel is better than no gun at all. With smart barricades and movement, you can rekt a whole mob of dindus and muslims.

>AK-47
No such thing.

A 5.56 rifle is way more versatile than a handgun, shotgun and 22LR bolt-action rifle. It's the ideal gun, except when it comes to ammunition which is scarce.

The rest is either for home and close-range defense, hunting, and as a backup once there's no 5.56 around.

I already have all the guns I mentioned.

>running out of 5.56
You mean the standard round used in the standard issue rifle of nearly all 1st world countries?

You mean the round that's only used by the French military and kept in heavily guarded military camps in France, while the rest of the territory only has 12ga and 22LR, and sometimes 9mm if the local police station hasn't run out?

Yeah, that one.

And you don't think that if there was a civil war supply lines and care packages of 5.56 would be much more available?

Then I have an AK and a .223rem carbine for that.

But I don't count on that.

What? You didn't mention any guns, did I miss something?

kill yourself pinko race baiter.

I’d probably stick with my AKM and my AR. My AKM because I have one and quite a bit of ammo and I’ve spent more time shooting it, and my AR because it’s an AR and ammo and parts and mags will be more plentiful. Stick with what you own, but definitely try to own something practical, at least one thing. Maybe you collect milsurp, but it wouldn’t hurt to blow $1000 on a glock and basic bitch AR. That being said if SHtF and you don’t have to up and run, don’t go scavaging for 5.56 if you’re out but have a Mosin and 10 spam cans. Obsclecent doesn’t mean obsolete, sure the Mosin isn’t the optimal set up but if it’s what you have it’s what you have.

Attached: 89BB76EB-DA62-45DB-A7B1-DDDD35031A1D.jpg (749x800, 182K)

>L4D
That's it, your parents decided to send you to summer school.

Attached: 1530242629969.png (321x445, 190K)

Add another "AR + Sidearm" guy to the crew

Attached: 2017-09-08 15.52.49.jpg (2829x1590, 2.59M)

>AK-47
>47
>47

ꜱoy ꜱoy ꜱoy ꜱoy ꜱoy ꜱoy ꜱoy ꜱoy ꜱoy ꜱoy ꜱoy ꜱoy

The most appealing part of the super compact Kel-Tec is you can conceal it for not SHTF times. If SHTF I don't mind brandishing my rifle. Although it would fit in gear easy and be super light.

based

Attached: SyrNiggRigg.jpg (907x593, 71K)

Ruger american in 30-06
Gp100 357

It’s perfectly acceptable to refer to AK pattern rifles as an ak-47. You aren’t cool for knowing nomenclature

This pair for me

Attached: 01D44EB9-8F77-43E2-8704-CC5BB7C010B7.jpg (750x1334, 314K)

I just bought my first AR, pic related, but since its still at the gunshop, it would be my glock 17 and browning bps shotgun.

Classy

Attached: listing-55650693_large.jpg (900x672, 135K)

>classy
That’s a first

youtube.com/watch?v=eWCdLaIlJ94

Attached: 15262044094680.jpg (1000x796, 400K)

shit like this should honestly be bannable

like seriously this guy gives you 2 really bad SHTF situations that actually happened but you're like UHHHHHHHHHH ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE XDDDDD fucking go back to r/guns

also I'd go for a SG553-R, it's the thinking mans 7.62x39 + a shotgun for hunting the occasional small game, as for a handgun 9mm a SFP9 or M&P or even a glawk will do the trick

get bent underageb&

Attached: chesskek.png (483x1121, 32K)

I'll be using whatever the russian airforce is dropping me.

AK's
ARPG7's

/thread

Nice gun whered you get?

The best balance in North America would be:
An AR
A Glock (you could substitute a .38/.357 revolver here)
A 12-gauge shotgun (you could substitute a .308 or .30-06 hunting rifle here).

I go with an AR instead of a Mini-14 or M1A only on the basis of parts availability in a long-term SHTF situation - any of them would be perfectly capable rifles. The AK and SKS suffer from both limited parts availability and less availability of 7.62x39 compared to 5.56. As Wumbologist pointed out, snowflake calibers are a bad idea in SHTF - the limited ballistic advantage they give you won't make up for their lack of wide availability.

That said, one thing that Paul Harrell once brought up and that's worth considering is the idea of having at least one gun chambered in what might be called a secondary caliber - something that's not in the top 5, but maybe in the top 10. Here I'm talking about things like .30-30 or 20 gauge - still pretty available, but not generally what preppers or normies stock up on. The reason for this is what if an SHTF situation comes up relatively quickly, the top few calibers - 9mm, 5.56, 12 gauge, .22lr - will fly off store shelves fast, while some amount of ammo in secondary calibers may still be available. I tend to like very common calibers, but I also do keep a 20 gauge shotgun around, and this is one reason why.

.357 revolver
AR-15
9mm of some kind
10/22 takedown

Realistically, all I would really want to keep with me is the .357 and 10/22. I would feel like a walking target carrying around a large rifle

Secondary calibers will be used to reload primary one's.
There is no winning in SHTF. Everyone will be effected that's why its a SHTF.
Guns or no guns everything will be bought or stolen.

>Secondary calibers will be used to reload primary one's.
Literally fucking why? As long as the secondary calibers will function and punch holes in things, taking them apart to reload other calibers is a waste of time, energy, and effort.

Also, "I'm just going to reload" is one of those unrealistic prepper fantasies that has nothing to do with reality. First, it makes all kinds of assumptions that aren't likely to hold up in long-term SHTF, like being able to put the time into doing it (if you're even able to stay home at all), and being able to source reloading supplies like bullets and primers. It also forgets that brass is only reusable a limited number of times, and that reloading supplies take up valuable space that could be used just to stockpile more ammo. By the time you add all that up, you can see that in real SHTF, stockpiling is way better than reloading.

If we're talking about *really* long-term SHTF - as in order will basically *never* be restored - then honestly the best thing to have would be a good-quality flintlock. Basic gunpowder, wadding, and lead balls can be made with minimal resources by people reduced to pre-Industrial Revolution technology. If things get really bad, that's likely what we'll end up with.

If your in America its AR.
Parts, parts, parts, and ammo, ammo, ammo.
Run with what ever you like but in America AR is king. At this point its not a want its a need.
You can make a case for any other platform but in any event, everyone else will have an AR.
So you need, to preform on that level.

The point was that ALL ammo will vanish off the shelves, right along with popular rounds.
Trading ammo may be a thing, if so trading ammo that you can't shoot may be a thing as well.
For reloading, that will only take place if economies are established.
Turning uncommon rounds into profitable rounds to sell. Hence why it would need an economy for that demand.
Making uncommon rounds all the rarer. No one will be making them or selling them, when they can be turn them into rounds they can sell.

Full autistic shtf scenario:
Arsenal slr-107 4 magz
Glock 19 4 magz
Lightweight hiking gear

It's ATF registry

My Henry .357 and sp101 I guess.

sounds gud

but i'd use my PTR

Not that I believe SHTF would ever happen in my lifetime, but assuming it did, I would grab my SLR 104. Then honestly, probably my S&W Shield for a sidearm. I can't imagine using a pistol for anything, so I'd rather bring something small and light.

Attached: SLR[1].jpg (1440x1080, 990K)

Why does your 7.62 AKM have a 74 style gas block?

I'll be the town executioner

Attached: 5105.jpg (428x640, 36K)

There's so much b8 in this thread. Very subtle too. Good job

Get sight
What'd you leave at the gun store for?

I really want to say my k31. But in reality its heavy and out dated and finding gp11 would be a bitch...so as much as I hate to admit it, one of my ars.

Inertia driven semi auto shotgun is the best

Attached: 12D2F169-E736-419B-94DC-50B77DDC820B.png (2000x509, 318K)

Id make a oil filter suppressor for a .22 handgun with a brazed on folding wire stock for small game/guards, kept in my backpack, a Glock 19(I know, boring, but it will have lots of ammo and mags lying around),and an AR with a Vortex 2-7 scope. Jack of all trades, master of none.

With proper ATF approval, of course.

Why 2-7x when Most tactical scopes are 2.5-10x?
I’m very interested in ar-15 scopes that aren’t 1-6 or 1-8 do you have any expierence or reccomendations?

M1 garand with bandolier full of black tip 30-06 in enbloc 's

No other reason than that was what I was looking at getting right before I saw this thread. Any scope in that range will serve you well as long as it holds zero and all that crap.

Nikon, Vortex, even a Trijicon 1-6 if you have the budget would fit the bill.

The 1-x scopes weigh and cost significantly more for some reason. I’m not a huge fan of the tactical horseshoe bdc type reticles

javascript:quote('38606232')
Your gun, your choice. Whatever you use best.

Depends on SHTF and my location.
If enough notice it is simply AR-15, 9mm semi. Simple, light and popular ammo.
If in my car and I have to gear up quickly then stuck with 12 gauge pump with 50 assorted shells, 9mm or .380 conceal (depends on season). I also have a AR-7 .22lr in the trunk along with normal and subsonic ammo.