"NIJ IV is the highest you can go" Body Armor Thread #3

The third thread for rare, uncommon, and unknown body armor inserts, in addition to common inserts, that surpass NIJ IV level protection.

"Damn Salty Boys" edition. AEP-2920 is best standard.

Attached: highasyoucango.png (1105x1006, 1.1M)

Other urls found in this thread:

cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc238/p804202_A1b.pdf
armorcore.com/documentation/technical-specs/
stiletto.uk.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Ukraine-report-to-NATO-on-ST.-ammo-1.pdf
product.dangdang.com/1424432481.html
velsyst.com/special-threat-steel-plate.html
dkxarmor.com/m12-series.php)
austereprovisions.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VS-P34-1012)
lightfighter.net/topic/level-iii-armor-testing-including-dbt-ultra-concealable?page=1
thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/10/29/level-iv-unbeatable-armor-caliber-problem-tungsten/
reader.elsevier.com/reader/sd/2885D49099AEDE27D6404F3D19F069E072D11D8C06F9FF0DE40A958E7831D255D0470BBA76CEBE5EFAC4614A3537CBE5
chasetactical.com/product/chase-tactical-4sas15-level-iv-rifle-plate-nij-06-certified-dea-compliant-single-curve/
tims.justnet.org/Report/BallisticCPL,
ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/183651.pdf
ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/223054.pdf
tacticalscorpiongear.com/body-
tacticalscorpiongear.com/body-armor/level-iii-extreme.html
ballisticedge.com.au/NIJ0103.htm
nationwidestructures.com/ballistic-key.html
docs.cntd.ru/document/gost-r-50744-95
sentineltailors.com/GOST-R-EN.pdf
tims.justnet.org/Report/BallisticCPL
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Get your NATO AEP-2920 here!

Can gun ports for small arms be efficiently armored against modern AP small arms ammo?
I understand that ammo like m855a1 (m855a2?) is very effective AR00 plates too thick to comfortably wear which makes me concerned about the feasibility of building a gun port to protect the door to a saferoom.

Attached: f-4b-FUCILE-MITRAGLIATORE-blocco-x-torretta-GFM-tipo-A-copia.jpg (580x527, 102K)

>Type A mounts on the Maginot line were found to be weak and were replaced by the type B mounts.
Also, What is the cartridge offers the best armor penetrating capabilities at the lowest cost? Or considering that the weapon would be in a static mount would making your own wildcat be the better choice?
How overbuilt would a 12 gauge have to be before it it could drive standard lead slugs or shot at armor penetrating velocities?

Attached: f-4c-FUCILE-MITRAGLIATORE-blocco-x-torretta-GFM-tipo-B-did.jpg (580x621, 260K)

>.50 BMG plate
how fucking heavy would that be and are you really able to wear it?

I can't afford III+ plates, so I'm eyeballing IV. Is there a reason not to get a set of Hesco 4400's for ~$130/each? Will a 4400 plate stop multiple rounds of M855, M193 and M80 ball?

Apparently they're 13lbs each, and meant to be worn by pilots and drivers.

Are III+ tac3s plates worth the money? I have a ccw, so i don't have a problem ordering.

So far as I know, Hesco has not gotten caught doing anything hinky like some other armor mfgs. They have a vid published on jewtube that shows a 4400 absorbing 20 hits of 5.56mm. That includes two that were stacked on top of each other.

Attached: used.hesco.4400.jpg (960x960, 318K)

What about mall cops?

WEWOO WEWOO WEWOO WEWOO WEWOO WEWOO WEWOO WEWOO WEWOO WEWOO WEWOO WEWOO

Attached: segway_cop_014_full.jpg (640x497, 81K)

bump

There is no love tonight so I will just dump this here: If you are new to these threads then you probably do not have a good question to field. Read the NIJ docs and the mfg advertised data first. Watch some of the eval vids on jewtube. After you do this you will probably have a valid question to ask. The basic fundamental of armor is easy - stop the threat. The reality of what you want to accomplish in the real world may have a wide latitude from everyone else.

OP here. If you've been here before you know who I am. I'll answer one at-a-time.

The greater problem when it comes to armoring a purely stationary position like a gun port, unlike body armor, is rarely weight. I see no issue with using the UL 752 standard here:
armorcore.com/documentation/technical-specs/
The above standard is universally used in the United States for the reinforcement of stationary structures. Courthouses, banks, you name it. I'm nowadays more suspicious of M855A2 but I would not consider it a legitimate threat - something unicorn tier like LC/70 DUDS.

Difficult to tell when you consider different kinds of armor are vulnerable to different kinds of projectiles. Steel armor is very easy to defeat with speed while ceramics need sectional density to beat. Fiberglass is an odd one and you're best off using ceramic-defeating rounds against it and other uncommon armor materials. M193 and M855 are probably still your best bets for cost-to-penetration factor.

11LB. Wearable if you remain in a static location a la a helicopter seat.

Hesco makes quality plates, they're a reasonable choice.

I cannot fully verify whether the plate has the bite to match its bark, purchase at your own risk.

In addition, if you're willing to over-build a 12-gauge to the extent where it can possibly clear armor all the way up to Level IV, you may be better off purchasing a .50 BMG (or somewhere close if you're in Cali) rifle and a stockpile of ammunition for that. .50 BMG can take about 95% of body armor downtown, but be warned of potential overpenetration. Even if you were to over-build a 12 Gauge to the point where it could drive even sabot slugs to pierce Level IV (and just for added security, GOST-6A and FBI-certified plates), you would likely still be better off with the .50.

Do you guys have a link to a place I can read up on GOST armor standards?

This is my go-to for informing people about GOST 50774-95 and GOST 50774-95 ADD. 2014 alike. stiletto.uk.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Ukraine-report-to-NATO-on-ST.-ammo-1.pdf

The above link also reveals part of NATO AEP-2920.

Am I the only one who thinks that suspending bulletproof plates in an impact absorbing gel and putting the two inside a bag would be a great idea? Or has this already been done?

And has anyone ever made a suit that's insolated enough to be invisible to NVG's?

Educate me pls

Respectfully, the .50 is a bitch to shoulder. A properly configged 12GA in the hands of someone that knows how to move might be a beast to face.

insulated*

Still OP here. Be warned that Ukraine's unlimited hordes of Colonels are more politically motivated than properly informed. GOST-6A is in reality dramatically stronger than NIJ Level IV. My grounds for this being that GOST-6A demands 5-10 hits of 7.62x54R B-32 API at regular testing distance with no penetration, as well as seperate single-hit protection from .338 Lapua Magnum FMJ at 300 meters. Furthermore, a GOST-6A plate must have 17mm of Backface Deformation or less while NIJ Level IV plates can get away with as high as 44mm against a single .30-06 M2AP penetrator.

>suit that's insolated enough to be invisible to NVG's?
I am pretty sure you mean thermal. Some guys from 12SFG did this with space blankets waaaayyyy back. The Brits have a purpose built suit for this nowadays.

At that rate, you could just properly configure the .50 BMG rifle to make it more comfortable to move with. Make whatever modifications you deem necessary. After all, you would already be willing to reinforce a 12-Gauge to withstand probably twice or more normal operating pressure, so why not modify the .50 BMG too?

Yeah, that. Do you know what kind of clothes could constitute as "thermal" to the point of being invisible to NVG's?

When there were sniper teams stalking British troops in Armagh with commercially-sourced .50 BMG rifles smuggled over via a mick in Boston, the British started handing out heavy duty plates that could take a .50 BMG. The guys who had to wear them found them so heavy that it was quite painful to wear them standing up for more than half an hour. A lot of them decided it was better to shelter inside their little guard huts and get NJPed for disobeying orders than to stand watch outside and have to wear the heavy vest and risk getting popped with a .50. I would assume these are similar.

>so why not modify the .50 BMG too?
I am assuming a bolt .50 versus a 12GA pump. I am assuming any early trials would not be semiauto. A bolt would be a bitch to work. I am not the original user so this is not really my dog. It just seemed interesting. Frankly, I would be interested in seeing what a coordinated team could do against armored adversaries.

They're absolutely similar models, and western armies have very often shared armor across the Atlantic. Back in the 1980s, Delta Force made use of ZTL A. Z. T plates of a European design that were heavy but nonetheless effective. These Ceradyne .50 BMG Protective plates were 11-13lb a plate, so a front + back set would likely approach if not exceed 25lb. That's especially painful, especially when you add on the rest of the soldier's gear.

I do not know any numbers. Look for the reinforced USGI space blanket with the OD backer. You are not eliminating heat - just changing the signature so it does not look like a dude. The Brit suit was built with louvers.

I would prefer a semi-automatic rifle in that configuration for sure. Even if you're in "Extreme Survivalist SHTF Showdown Royale" where .50 BMG Protective plates from over two decades ago are popping out of the woodwork like rats, simple shot placement to unprotected areas can make these plates a non-issue - after all, you are indeed using a .50 BMG and your target will likely be bogged down enough that you have first-shot advantage.

found it

Attached: thermal.suit.jpg (398x681, 70K)

Holy fak. Mix that with a ghillie suit and you're pretty much fucking invisible.

Does it have a formal name?

This is indeed very interesting. I'm unfamiliar with it.

I do not know. KIM that twice as thick often means more than twice the performance. Not all of this is linear. A projectile may punch both of the thinner plates while it may be stopped by the double thickness plate.

>Does it have a formal name?
Yes, but I do not remember. Reverse image will probably get you started.

I found no suit, but I did find a book that appears to be on sniper skills. Could possibly be in Japanese.
product.dangdang.com/1424432481.html

>first-shot advantage.
This is significant but some Audie Murphy madman that knows how to move with some kind of advanced 12GA pump could probably ruin your whole weekend.

It's not just knowing how to move with the advanced 12-Gauge pump, it's about being able to handle the recoil and weight of this 12-Gauge. You can simply buy more .50 BMG / .416 Barrett off the counter, but you'll need to make these "super-duper 12 Gauge Shells" yourself as well as parts for your super-duper 12 Gauge that can withstand double or even triple normal operating pressure. It just sounds like using a M82A2 with a single-shot 20x102mm upper as a elephant rifle over a regular Nitro Express. Sure, it'll get the job done real quick but everything is custom and the ammo will be a real joy to procure.

The first I saw of a formal suit was in a book that I believe to be of British origin. It was part of a popular series with that volume dedicated to sniping. This topic is probably better served in /gq/. We are shitting this thread.

What are your opinions on the new steel based offerings from Velocity Systems? Is steel a contender?

This is just an important point I feel I need to raise again because I have a feeling a lot of people still don't know it. The NIJ 0101.06 standard, ever since its inception, has had the interesting quirk where Level IV is not inclusive of Level III. What does this mean in layman's terms? Well, it means, youtube video or not, that when the chips are down your LEVEL IV PLATE IS UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO MAKE LEVEL III RATING. This means your Level IV plate can and probably will fail Level III testing against six fair hits of 7.62x51mm M80! There are Level III/IV dual-certified plates (typically LE-only but there are civilian models) out there for good reason. Anyone can game a youtube test, but NIJ certification is a whole other beast. At the end of the day, body armor is something you need to trust with your life, and so I want armor that stops what I need it to stop.

Steel has always been a contender that could compete with Ceramics in a variety of areas. Steel plates boast vastly superior multi-hit durability, with even quality AR500 being capable of stopping a hundred impacts of cheap 5.56x45mm. However, Steel plates have dramatically inferior energy capture abilities and they're extremely weak to high-speed ammunition unless they've been tested to stop it. Velocity Systems provides fairly high quality plates, and as a LE/Mil/Fed only vendor their steel plates (which are rated for M193 and M855!) are probably some of the best. They're certainly better than garden-variety "AR500" that gets whupped by a single shot of M193, that's for sure.

Just a casual perusal of price lists is an eye opener.
>wait - what?
>level III plates are more expensive than level IV?
Just like I posted earlier in the thread, until the NIJ docs are read, you have no idea what the ratings even mean.

Absolutely. A lot of people have assumed in the past that a Level III plate is automatically capable of stopping M855 or M193. That is absolutely false. Level III only calls for protection from six fair hits of 7.62x51mm M80 Ball, which has neither the speed of M193 or the design of M855. M855 dominates most Polyethylene inserts while M193 takes most Steel inserts downtown. NIJ 0101.07 will resolve this massive problem with the NIJ scale, but remain aware that you absolutely need to know what the ratings mean or you're practically bringing NIJ Level IIIA to a rifle fight.

Do you have any idea what their spall mitigation capability is on their steel plates? I am still leery of AR500 since it is not milled with the intent of it becoming armor. What is your take on MIL-DTL-46100 (purpose milled armor plate) versus AR500 (repurposed abrasion resistant steel)?

Considering the clients of Velocity Systems and the humiliation that would result from a failure-to-stop for the plate, it's reasonable to assume the spall liner this plate is sporting is of decent quality.
velsyst.com/special-threat-steel-plate.html

I'm familiar with MIL-DTL-46100. In short, it's essentially what AR500 tries to be but is not. Most AR500 out there is not actually AR500, and for various mechanical reasons AR500 can actually range in Brinell Hardness dramatically, which explains why some can stop M193 and others are so easily penetrated by it. I believe 46100 plates are less vulnerable to AP threats and are all-in-all superior plates. AR500 is just cheaper to use, and that's why MIL-DTL-46100 is not so widespread.

>M193 takes most Steel inserts downtown.
How far downtown? Through the plate AND a IIIA Kevlar backer? I have not seen this demoed, though pic related seemed very confident that a IIIA backer would catch the rear spall. I am a very ardent toilet bowl worshiper but I would be willing to change faiths if I personally witnessed a miracle.

Attached: meth.sarge.jpg (97x125, 3K)

This is obviously going to depend on exactly what hardness your AR500 actually is. AR500 ranges dramatically in hardness to the point where some of it can actually be AR400, and some of that will absolutely be defeated by M193 coming out of a 20-inch barrel. Nonetheless, I consider a failure-to-stop for the plate a serious "taking downtown". Unless the plate is an In-Conjunction-With model, the backer should not be doing any serious work compared to the plate besides energy capture. In short, I only trust steel if I know it can take M193 and M855. Only a fraction of steel out there truly can.

If all you want is good armor pen in a 12 gauge package, then find someone to make you some tungsten sub-caliber saboted slugs.

>You know, for that effort you could just buy yourself a formidable stash of 7.62x51mm M993 and challenge Level IV armor out to far greater ranges than tungsten sub-caliber sabot slugs.

>Only a fraction of steel out there truly can.
Forgive my partial redundancy. How confident would you be of .250" thick 46100 plates stopping both of the common 5.56mm threats ICW a IIIA backer? What would you think of a level II Kevlar front cover as a spall catcher. I have an old DBT vest that has dedicated pouches both in front and behind the plate pouch. It almost seems made for this.

I never said it was a good idea for anywhere outside of supplying an insurgency out in Russia or some other shithole where the only guns the populace really has in large quantities are shotguns.

It’s hard to be invisible to thermal. The space blanket technique makes you look like a black blob of negative ambient heat. You have to match the surroundings which is very difficult to do

Considering hasty recommendations can put lives at risk, I'm just going to tell you it might be able to, and it might not be able to. There are too many factors (barrel length is a big one) that can make or break the the armor. Your best bet is to test the setup (not on a living being) and use the data to influence your final verdict. I like rock-hard data, and I'm sure neither of us want to play a guessing game without it.

Post info for dual certified please.

>The space blanket technique makes you look like a black blob of negative ambient heat
12SFG did this successfully against some Bradleys about 25 years ago. The imagers are probably a lot better now. I am way behind the curve. I was only trying to get him on track.

If you're willing to throw the money down for exotic tungsten penetrators for an entire insurgency, you're more than capable of paying the price to supply the insurgency with 7.62x51mm rifles that can fire M993.

I am considering begging a small manufacturer for his scraps of 46100 for testing.

Sure thing. Level III/IV plates are so-named because they definitely pass both of the standards (with two different plates used for testing). We've got examples like the DKX M12 (dkxarmor.com/m12-series.php) that are NIJ Level III/IV+ while Protech, LIBA, Chase Tactical, CATI, Point Blank Armor, and even Velocity Systems (austereprovisions.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VS-P34-1012) have made their own. Level III/IV is not a new "wonder-rating" since plates of the rating have been around since NIJ 0101.03 days (1990s!), albeit not civilian-accessible. There are plenty of models out there. Some of them are ICW for both ratings, some are standalone for III and ICW for IV, and some are standalone for both and/or provide even stronger protection than a good Level IV. These plates are obscure, but they represent the most reliable (if heavy, expensive, and difficult to acquire) option in the NIJ range.

If you feel it's that important, then do what you feel you need to do.

Can you elaborate on the failures that Diamondback had? I have been unable to find anything. I remember that their affiliate FirstChoice had the issue where they changed the weave after they got NIJ certified and the new weave failed in service. Is this all related or did DBT have different failures on their own?

It just seemed that the armored mounts are vulnerable to being rendered inoperable by AP ammo damaging the users ability to aim or see.
I haven't seen a modern gunport that wasn't just a hole in the structure with an armored cover for when it wasn't in use, Unlike the weapon mounts of the Maginot line or armored vehicles which were inherently armored.

The point of overbuilding a 12 gauge is ammo versatility because it can still shoot common 12 gauge ammo alongside the wildcat shells.
Also consider that the 12 gauge doesn't need to penetrate armor at the same ranges as a .50 bmg, and I don't think they make buckshot rounds for the .50 bmg do they?

The context which everyone missed is that the shotgun would be mounted in a gunport which protects the door to a safe room which means weight, recoil, and maximum range aren't considerations.

Attached: Ouvrage_Brehain-072.jpg (1500x1000, 214K)

NVM on DBT. I found this:
>lightfighter.net/topic/level-iii-armor-testing-including-dbt-ultra-concealable?page=1

thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/10/29/level-iv-unbeatable-armor-caliber-problem-tungsten/

reader.elsevier.com/reader/sd/2885D49099AEDE27D6404F3D19F069E072D11D8C06F9FF0DE40A958E7831D255D0470BBA76CEBE5EFAC4614A3537CBE5

Very good article right there.

The problem that you're overlooking is that you're taking a weapon so poor at armor penetration, a shotgun, and you're trying to make it gain levels of armor penetration only seen with a .50 BMG. Look at this here GOST 50774-95 standard. You're starting at GOST-2A with a slug. You want to go down to buckshot(?) and then get your way back up to get to .50 BMG busting power? Shotguns go away when you're dealing with hard body armor, triple operating pressure snowflake model or not. End of story, get a .50.

Attached: gost.png (601x525, 20K)

Just for clarification, I get the 12 Gauge only has to bust armor up close, but it's just not a practical option. When hard armor is in play, the shotguns go away. You are vastly better off with a semi-automatic .50 with modifications to make it more usable in close quarters.

What if you had a space blanket and just backed it with fabric to pick up the ambient heat, the backer could be camo or ghille as well

Will this be Jow Forums in fifteen years?

Attached: thefaceofk.jpg (247x165, 7K)

I want to revisit the issue of spall treatments for steel plates that I queried earlier. I know that a lot of the spall reflects off of the strike surface at generally a 90 degree angle. How generally 90 is it? Would a Kevlar layer in front of a plate be sufficient to trap spall? Does it need to wrap the plate like the Scorpion plate cover? I have a DBT vest that has a pocket in front of the plate pocket that would hold anything in it very tightly to the face of the plate. For the record, I am ceramic only right now but I think steel hybrids may be the future.

You need to vent the suit. The heat and moisture still need to escape - just in such a way that it less resembles a dude. The newer systems will tag anomalies and track them regardless of why they are anomalies so your signature reduction will be more critical against those. I still think this should move to /gq/ since this is a strictly armor thread.

The immediate future will likely consist of Silicon Carbide / UHMWPE hybrids like the Model 4520. Lightweight multi-hit ICW protection from M993 and M995 while still passing very difficult FBI testing.

The majority of steel plates sold on the market today make use of a spall liner (the black coating) that captures the spall between itself and the plate. This spall liner is often nothing more than glorified truck bed liner, so a aramid like Kevlar would likely get the job done if properly designed to. Existing steel liners do wrap all the way around the plate, so a kevlar solution best do the same. Due to the natural and tiny angles of the plate when it is worn, it is unlikely spall will be at exactly 90 degrees at all times.

Important lesson of the day. NIJ 0101 has gone through multiple revisions over time. NIJ 0101.04 plates, despite the standard being from 2000 and replaced by NIJ 0101.05 in 2005 (which was replaced by NIJ 0101.06 in 2008), still float around but are decisively inferior to NIJ 0101.06 revision plates. NIJ 0101.03 plates from 1987-1999 still float around too, and keep in mind they're still reasonable armor but still inferior to NIJ 0101.06 in most cases. There are exceptions of course, one being the above LIBA Level III/IV plate. This plate was shown to me by a fellow user and is NIJ 0101.03 certified. It is capable of withstanding 20 hits of .30-06 M2AP thanks to a spaced Aluminum Oxide Ball structure embedded in UHMWPE. Despite being from NIJ 0101.04's era, the plate is still rated for 0101.03. Nonetheless, it is still very potent if somewhat heavy.

Attached: 1531588598480_1.jpg (4032x3024, 2.77M)

The point is that one should take note not just of your plate's rating and whether it's NIJ certified, but also exactly which NIJ Standard it's certified for. This is also a way to figure out a plate's age.

Any opinions here on the 4SAS7 from Highcom?

A reasonable choice, but the 4SAS15 is a more refined model. chasetactical.com/product/chase-tactical-4sas15-level-iv-rifle-plate-nij-06-certified-dea-compliant-single-curve/

I think this is somewhat related. How should the camo of a plate carrier go with that of the uniform?

Ideally, it should match so as not to create a central point of distinction from the rest of the scene. However, finding a plate carrier in a hunting camo has proven exceedingly difficult for other anons in past threads.

Thanks for the input on the Hesco 4400s. If I end up having to put them on for anything other than larping, they seem to be able to stop most bullets that I'd unfortunately catch. I'll get multicurve too, because $20 extra dollars is not an issue.

What about a black powder cannon? What size of cannon could drive shot at a great enough velocity, volume, and diameter that it defeats level iv armor?
Can I assume that a level iv plate doesn't protect the wearer any less from incoming rounds if they manage to strike simultaneously in different locations as might happen with shot?
Also killing the person despite not penetrating their body armor is a different kind of success but is it really equal to going through the armor?

Your objective will have to be, for all practical intent, to design a black powder cannon capable of defeating a Level IV plate and going 50% past that ability. This extra breathing room is to give you insurance in the event the enemy has premium Level IV plates, Level IV+ plates, or Level III/IV plates. Your first move should be to crunch numbers with the cannon until you can readily surpass the sectional density, speed, mass, and energy of a .30-06 M2AP with it. The plate will have difficulties with simultaneous impacts if it's a "just barely makes the rating" plate, but a high-quality insert should have no issue in theory with simultaneous impacts in different locations. You would see much better results if one shot immediately followed up on the one before it in the exact same spot. Killing the person with backface deformation is viable but requires dramatic deformation of the plate beyond 44mm, which means your black powder shot needs to dish out more force with more sectional density than .30-06 M2AP - substantially so if you want the breathing room necessary to handle 95% of Level IV armor.

Additionally, for the record, don't use Level IV as your target-to-beat for your defensive weapons or homemade devices. The rating is pitifully low in 2018, with GOST-6A, Level III/IV, IV+, GOST-BP6, and about a dozen other ratings from various standards all being higher than it - sometimes by dramatic amounts. This demonstrates that in a time of crisis, you should be ready for, and outright expect to encounter armor in excess of civilian-accessible Level IV plates. Thus, that is why I believe in the "50% additional power above what's needed to beat Level IV" rule. That's also why a .50 BMG caliber rifle or MG is often your best bet for a static weapon.

So I guess the smart use for black powder would ether be in a cannon with solid shot against hard targets like armored vehicles or grenades for close in defense, Other then legal issues I don't think replicating a .50 bmg in black powder is efficient/effective compared to the previous two uses for BP or a conventional .50 bmg weapon.

Attached: ian-of-forgotten-weapons-with-a-1896-65-caliber-chinese-wall-gun.jpg (900x504, 224K)

Anyone heard of (((Battle Steel))) plates? Specifically the Lvl4 standalone?
I think they are the same as Honos plates.
Battle Steels Ceramic (SIC) PE Composite ballistic armor plates are tested under NIJ-0101.06 IV body armor standards by H.P. White, Chesapeake. It is capable of stopping at least 3 shots of .30 caliber, 166 grain, AP, and M2 ammunition.
>copypasta
Tested to NIJ Level IV / NIJ Standard 0101.06
Multi-hit capability M80 7.62x51 AP & M855 5.56mm Green Tip AP
Special pressing techniques to create lighter plate
10” x 12” Multi-Curve & 6" x 6" Square for packs and cases
10” x 12” Only 5.5 lbs. & 0.8" Thick / 6" x 6" Only 2.5 lbs & 0.8" Thick
Crack-resistant lightweight structure, capable of stopping multiple rounds.
Assembled in the US from imported materials
Fully sealed to protect against liquids, chemicals, & harsh elements
>/copypasta

I've heard of them but I cannot attest to their quality. What I can tell you right now is that according to this NIJ-maintained site, tims.justnet.org/Report/BallisticCPL, that they do not have NIJ certification for their plates. This is acceptable if you're less serious about the plate actually being able to do its job, but they should at least offer an independent lab report upfront. They seemingly do not. I would not trust them, even though HP WHITE is a reasonable testing center with their own 0500.02 standard. Buy at your own risk, because there is little-to-no evidence that these are not "fresh-off-the-boat-Alibaba" imports from China.

BP is significantly easier to make than more modern propellants, so grenades are indeed a reasonable option for whatever stash of BP you plan to or already hold.

I think they would be fine larp gear that would be a setup up from ar500 steel plates

Anyone know of the reputation PAI Lvl3a 0101.03 soft armor has? I picked up a full set of what was claimed to be surplus new-old stock for $30 and think it would be ok behind standalone plates to work like a flak jacket.

Unless you feel like wasting money, use the dosh to LARP with real-deal NIJ-certified ceramics. I have no confidence in this Battle Steel company.

For that role, they should still be fine if they are in reasonable condition. Soft armor can degrade over time from temperature and rough handling, and 0101.03 was introduced in 1987 so this soft armor could be seriously vintage. I would not trust it to stop a .44 Magnum SWC by itself, but it should suffice for blunt trauma duty behind standalone NIJ-certified 0101.06 plates.

Keep in mind that the distributor in question has had shit customer service. The only person I ever knew that worked there was personally embarrassed about their customer service. I associate poor customer service with not caring about the customer. If they do not care about me then they probably do not care if I am well served by their armor. This is all based on feelz but it is some really bad feelz.

Just a dump because everyone should have a relative idea of what the standards actually are.
>0101.04
>0101.06
MB - can you dump links to the GOST standards? I will cook some pasta for the next thread.

Attached: sapi.vs.torso.jpg (101x125, 2K)

>hurr durr
I will get a new pic that is not ant sized, also. Sorry about that.

Anybody have any thoughts on Tactical Scorpion Gear?

Here's their lvl3 and lvl4 plates:

tacticalscorpiongear.com/body-

armor/level-iv.html?product_list_order=price

tacticalscorpiongear.com/body-armor/level-iii-extreme.html

test

Attached: sapi.vs.torso.jpg (2245x2777, 3.12M)

Very well. Here are other armor standards so people can be well equipped. This below link offers ratings of GOST 50774-95, GOST 50774-95 ADD. 2014, and NATO AEP-2920.

stiletto.uk.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Ukraine-report-to-NATO-on-ST.-ammo-1.pdf

>NIJ 0101.03

>UL 752, State Department, HP WHITE, and more:

The GOST 50774-95 ADD. 2014 standard in full to prove I'm not full of crap when I say Level 6 stops 12.7x108mm B-32 API.

GOST 50774-95 original: sentineltailors.com/GOST-R-EN.pdf

There was a mistranslation in one of my earlier sources. GOST hard armor only rates for 3 shots with a maximum of 17mm BFD, not 5-10.

I did not see many of their plates on this list:

Purchase-at-your-own-risk.

To the guy who didn't know how NVG's work: there used to be a company called Snakebite Tactical that made thermal camouflage. Don't know what happened to them and they were quite expensive.

>.50 BMG caliber rifle or MG is often your best bet for a static weapon.
This is why I come to Jow Forums

You know it.

It probably got absorbed into a spook corporation given the nature of their work.

bump

>NATO AEP-2920
>GOST 50774-95 and GOST 50774-95 ADD. 2014
>NIJ 0101.03
>NIJ 0101.04
>NIJ 0101.06
>UL 752, State Department, HP WHITE, and more:
>GOST 50774-95 original
sentineltailors.com/GOST-R-EN.pdf
>GOST 50774-95 ADD. 2014 standard
>NIJ Certification list
This is just a start. I will accept any suggestions on how to best organize and label these. Also feel free to suggest anything else that should be compiled with these.