How do you /gas/ in a shtf scenario? Average e10 gasoline has only like a 6 month shelf life, a year if its sealed...

How do you /gas/ in a shtf scenario? Average e10 gasoline has only like a 6 month shelf life, a year if its sealed. With added stabilizers, regulated temperature, and a sealed environment. It could probably last up to what, 4-5 years? Good for most short-term situations. But how am I going to be powering my genny 5-6 years in?

Attached: ty26264m.jpg (250x293, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/s/m.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Own-Gasoline?amp=1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas_generator
youtube.com/watch?v=a6e3CprVTi8
youtube.com/watch?v=tEXlWgMOtqc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No situation will last that long.

homemade ethanol fuel

Rec gas

Or a pure ethanol or multifuel generator and lrn2moonshine

If you're still relying on mechanised transport after a total societal collapse I'd say wood gasification would be the easiest and most effective way, other than that you could get a few more years of fuel out of some homemade biodiesel. Petrol and diesel for the first few years.

After all that just go back to horses and larp as a cowboy with your lever action gats and wheelguns.

Attached: 1530868573115.png (720x720, 484K)

Attached: alcohol-can-be-a-gas.jpg (1968x2567, 2.09M)

>After all that just go back to horses and larp as a cowboy with your lever action gats and wheelguns.
I can't wait. Unfortunately I don't think our generation will see that glorious larp phase, we'll probably be smack dab in the middle of the Brazil phase, feelsbadman.

google.com/amp/s/m.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Own-Gasoline?amp=1

I've asked people how they plan to get or store gas in shtf threads, and the honest answer is that they don't. They think it'll just store forever if they get it to begin with.

Propane or natural gas. On the plus side, an engine will last much longer burning propane.

And they don't get any. Even preppers are 99% about 300 miles from car being useless. Bicycles are a good answer. But in my area you better learn how to fix a flat. BioD is all going in the generator. After that becomes more rare I'll change over to water power. I figure planning more the 3 years is optimistic at best.

This, stop larping

I think in an apocalypse it'll only take 5 or so years for the vast majority of any mechanized vehicles to completely disappear from use. Just depends on the type of SHTF sitaution though, the current global warming and capitalist monetary crisis apocalypse is pretty shit.

Bicycles are a good one for urban transport, motorbikes in the transition period.

I think bio-diesel for vehicles and then run everything else off of salvaged car batteries and solar panels. Generators in general are pretty wasteful when you've got long term survival in mind.

The seals will rot on propane.

Pretty much. People think SHTF will be like The Walking Dead, where food, clean water, electricity, and medical supplies are difficult or impossible to get, but everybody is somehow still driving around in cars eight seasons after all the gas stations closed. Not hardly. Unless you live in certain parts of Texas or North Dakota, all the cars around you will pretty much be paperweights a couple of weeks into SHTF. Sorry, but that's the reality of the situation.

This is among the reasons why your best plan is to move to a small town in a red state with a population that's 90% plus white, and to learn to hunt, fish, and grow a garden. Because you're not going to be going much of anywhere else for a long while.

This, anyone who thinks they are going to have an easy time in shtf when alone is dumb. Find a community, share manpower, share skills, share resources

Well... probably. The #1 SHTF scenario going forward is civil war or some other long-term violent disruption. Basically, if this happens a lot of places will look like Yugoslavia circa 1995. That's bad, but a lot of stuff will still get through. Gas will still be produced, it's just a question of whether deliveries will be made to hot zones. The only other long-term scenario that looks even remotely likely is economic collapse (we're *how* many trillions of dollars in debt now?), in which case we have a similar scenario - gas production will continue, but you just might not be able to afford any. A distant third possibility is a coalition of liberals and neocons finally getting us into a nuclear war with Russia after 2024, but I wouldn't bet much on it - I think it's mostly bluster and TDS. And other than that you really just have natural disasters, which aren't long-term situations. Well, not unless the Yellowstone Caldera blows, but don't worry - that's only about 6000 years overdue.

The future is no old man

Gasfags BTFO'D eternally by master race electric car

>B-B-BUT WHERE WILL YOU GET NEW BATTERIES HUH?

Probably the same place you'll get your piston rings, injectors and ignition coils.

Attached: images (10).jpg (529x278, 20K)

Yellowstone or a rogue asteroid that hits earth or an event like a solar flare that takes out all electricity ate the three most likely WROL SHTF situations. The only one that you could even survive is maybe the solar flare for a few months if you are lucky. Most people will not live very long after any of these events. Very dark times ahead

how are you gonna charge it once tesla's supercharger infrastructure collapses?
gaskets, injectors, and ignition coils can be manually machined by anyone with knowledge of such craftsmanship.

>all electic
>needs forced air intake for combustion of fuel
Wat

I think home owners insurance will not cover you If you burn your house down storing gasoline over a certain amount. I think five gallons.

>This, anyone who thinks they are going to have an easy time in shtf when alone is dumb.
The War Nerd has brought this up, but basically yeah - the Burt Gummer fantasy of holing up alone in a fortified mountaintop compound with the Four B's (bullets, beans, Bibles, and bourbon) is pretty sure to get you killed. You'll have to sleep sometime. You'll get sick with something or another eventually. You'll find something that needs doing that's a two-man job, or a five-man job. And you won't get past that alone.

So like the War Nerd said, the best strategy is to move to a small town, join a church, get active in your community, marry a local girl, do favors for your neighbors, be the kind of guy who people will want to help out. I know that's tough for Jow Forums autists and NEETs to do, but it's just as important a survival skill as the ability to ring steel at 500 yards.

>join a church
no

Attached: church-burning.jpg (600x418, 45K)

>he doesn't know about tesla's fast charging electric stations called superchargers

Attached: 1532006200049.jpg (496x496, 134K)

It's fine with me if you don't. I look forward to edgy atheists and pagan LARPers dying out. That's one of the things that will make the future a better place.

ETHANOLLLLLLL MY BOY! IF YOU AIN'T GOT FLEX FUEL NOW IT'S TOO LATE

>I look forward to edgy atheists and pagan LARPers dying out
I don't see how reclaiming the holy land for the Jews will save me.

The only difference between a normal car and a flex fuel vehicle is one trips a check engine light when you put E85 in it.

Buddy hold the fuck on there. Ethanol is an organic solvent. It will rot your gas lines, fuel filter, and pump given time. Unless you have all steel lines that's bad news bears.

Did you mean Methanol? Ethanol does none of these.

>But how am I going to be powering my genny 5-6 years in?

Diesel prime mover, that you keep fuelled with the biodiesel that you make from the peanuts/sunflowers you grow. Run your genset for 30 hours a week, just long enough to freeze up a few tons of ice to sell.

If you’re set up for making biodiesel, you’re also positioned to make lye, soap, beer or cider, hard alcohol, paper, and possibly homespun fabric. Or cordage, if you don’t feel like dicking with fabric. Also, you can use your generator to crack hydrogen and oxygen out of water. Recombine them for a very energetic (and dangerous) fuel for metalworking, or use just the hydrogen for floating a small tethered balloon. Dangle a spare smartphone from it, figure out how to stabilize it, and you have a half-assed way of getting video surveillance of your surroundings.

But you have to get away from gasoline, first. None of this happens until you shift to diesel.

The difference between flex fuel and non is like 2% of the gasoline.
I don't even use e-85 over 87 in mine because I don't want to test out the rate it gets used compared to regular unleaded on mileage and during idle, I have a hard time believing it'll go as far and the cost savings don't add up if I'm fueling it more often.

If you had an unlimited budget a multifuel or propane commercial generator would be the ticket for the very reason you're thinking. One of the big CAT ones they wheel out during disaster scenarios or FOBs when there is no power grid that can run of Hank hills clean burning propane or almost fucking anything combustible for the multifuel from pure alcohol to biodiesel to skunky gas to distilled wood ethanol.

Ironically enough in the last hurricane to hit South Florida a local restaurant had a bigass concrete bedded propane generator with a huge buried tank and was open for business a week before the grid kicked back on.

That or going full solar/wind/mini hydroelectric and invest in a massive battery bank and backups

Deisel might by your best bet regarding a vehicle. That or a gas sipping dirt bike/scooter that gets 90mpg+ and can be lifted over any obstacle it can't clear. For anything that isn't "the road" tier basic services or a new government would be up within a month or two if something was truly catastrophic. Having 50 gallons of recreation gas and a little 250cc dirt bike you can go 350 miles on a 2 gallon tank is better than going full road warrior with an F350 or Jeep getting 12mpg on surface streets

>After that becomes more rare

Why? You don’t know how to plant sunflowers or peanuts?

Ethanol content is not the same as the octane number. By that logic, E85 would be 100 gasoline.

>distilled wood ethanol
Do you mean Methanol?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas_generator

Or grow corn and learn to make ethanol

Attached: Prepping Dilbert.jpg (640x289, 67K)

Colequially Wood alcohol. I'm imbibing some ethanol myself so excuse me not remembering all the specifics of my highschool chemistry class.

I don't know about propane, I've heard of people making biodiesel out of methane though. Seems a bit more practical than propane. I probably wouldn't monkey around with any of that sort of stuff since I got a bit of a smoking habit.
I didn't say it was the same as the octane number, it's just a higher % of the fuel has more ethanol. That runs in regular non-flex fuel cars too it's just harder on the engine, the flex fuel vehicles are supposedly just built to handle it with less wear, not that I want to put that to the test.

You wouldn't make propane, you'd just have a gas truck sized tank of liquid propane buried in your backyard. 95% chance shit got bad enough for you to need more than 3 months off the grid you'd have died in the nuclear strike, Yellowstone detonation, or have just shot yourself.

Attached: and_this_is_ks_room.gif (640x360, 2.7M)

>The difference between flex fuel and non is like 2% of the gasoline.
E85 means 85% ethanol. 87 gas means gasoline with an octane number of 87 containing up to 10% ethanol.

youtube.com/watch?v=a6e3CprVTi8

No shit? Just googled it and that looks correct. I must have got confused about the fuel to ethanol ratios. My mistake.

No worries, it is a common mistake to make.

Totally steam punk. The future is now

It's not a Steam engine though. It's like a combustion engine, but runs on carbon monoxide and hydrogen instead of gasoline or diesel.

>planning for shtf that lasts 5-6 years

Attached: F38718BC-44F3-46AE-9273-04AE6A589D30.gif (322x242, 1.51M)

considering most of the deaths will likely take place in the chaos of the 1st 18 months I'd say it's not a bad idea.

if you manage to live through the initial OMGWHATSHAPPENINGEVERYONEFREAKTHEFUCKOUT your odds of survival rise greatly.

Try to better coordinate with neighbors and communities. Don’t tell them you have a stash, but they should plan in case shit happens and keep in contact with those with useful skills like medicine for example. Especially for fucking 5-6 years. At that point I’m a least hooking up with the farmers I live next to and my buddies up the road.

If gas is this big of an issue, then don’t put all your eggs there. Find alternatives for power.

Plan ahead all you want, but at least get a small community organized for when shit does hit the fan, you’re organized and can last

If SHTF moving around far enough that you need a vehicle is going to get you killed.
Firstly, they're desirable. See the war of the worlds remake for an accurate example of what it's like to have a functioning car in a shtf scenario. There will always be someone who doesn't have one, or is out of gas who wants yours. And you are a big loud easy to spot target traveling on a predictable path.

Your SHTF hideout should have a wood stove.
Gas is for morons who want to larp as mad max or who think they need electricity to survive.

Problem with biodiesel is that you'd never have enough production to meet the need without giving up on growing anything edible entirely.

What about solar for generators

>Not going full wargames and having a kick-ass dirt bike and flipping off all the gridlocked or stalled cars you're lane splitting around
>Not going full wargames and being able to drive your kick-ass dirt bike down backstreets and logging roads to your shtf shed/bunker innawoods where you sit around a wood stove and shitpost via solar power and a satphone.

>Have constant reoccurring what-if scenario running in my head
>"The whole world got Raptured at 00:00 GMT except for you. Why is your first course of action?"

Best answer I've come up with so far is to grab as many credit cards as I can and start pumping as much diesel fuel as humanly possible before the electrical grid goes down.

Second is finding the breedable animals I'll need to survive the next decade or so before I finally off myself due to loneliness before they die of thirst in whatever pen they're stuck in.

Third is getting them and myself someplace cooler ASAP before I run out of the fuel I'd need to transport them and the gas pumps are all made nonfunctional because no power. I do not want to live in the fucking Southeast without A/C.

The only situation that the US Government can't survive but you can is a Constitutional Convention.
For every other possible outcome the US government survives in whole or part.
So if you are making plans and preps you need to take the US gov into account. They will be there.

This. Even outside of shtf, use ethanol and stop using petrol

You know, if you learned a little bit about renewable energy, and invested in it, learned how to produce your own wind turbines.

Learn how to produce bio-fuel too.
The average prepper has the intelligence of a guinea pig, and easily overlook these things, they are also scizo as fuck and lack any understanding of how social groups work.

But what can i really expect from a bunch of loony hyper-individualists, most of these prepper types don't even believe in climate change, and therefore hardly ever account for natural disaster, it's all nuclear or "OBAMA'S FEMA DEATH CAMPS"

Attached: malawiwindmill.jpg (537x384, 38K)

youtube.com/watch?v=tEXlWgMOtqc

>Not getting a manual pump and intimate knowledge of your local rec gas stations, auto parts stores, and how to open a gas station fuel filling port
>Not pouring like 90 cans of stable into the tank of every gas station nearby
>Not going to the farm store and looting enough nitrates and fertilizer to make the OKC bombing look like a firecracker... But for their actual intended use
>Not eating spam cooked over broken ottomans for the first 6 odd years
>Not shitting in a different virgin toilet everyday

Cycle your reserve gas every 6 months.

What fucking natural disaster would mean you need biofuel? If your govt hasn't fixed shit by 6 months so you have food and fuel, you aren't in a firstworld country and would be better off killing the next guy and stealing his shit.

Also, learn to ride a bike. Maintenance is a lot easier.

I learned a bit about renewable energy and frankly it's a fucking scam. Especially wind turbines. Mirrors and stirling engine seems okay and water wheels too. But not wind.
And what exactly happens to gasoline after its shelf life ends? It stops burning or what?

>I learned a bit about renewable energy and frankly it's a fucking scam.

Thank Christ Mr. "I Leaned A Bit" is here to save us all from the people who know stuff.

Attached: mount stupid.png (613x481, 43K)

>he doesnt know that for less money than buying a car you can outfit your house to be completely off the electrical grid
>scam
>pays for itself in less than 5 years
>scam
>investments considered sound by any business return profit in ten years
>SCAM
>you can actually make money selling excess electricity to utility companies
>ITS A SCAM GUIZE
Holy jesus you're dumb

t. first solar
you can only get it if you own the house on isolated property with no trees nearby, and no metal or gravel roofs.

If you're in the right state it is so worth it

Solar is dumb up north in cloud country sure but in the desert? I plan to buy a mcmansion and put solar panels all fucking over it

>Not going to the farm store and looting enough nitrates and fertilizer to make the OKC bombing look like a firecracker... But for their actual intended use

Will need animal power for that once enough time has passed, and those fuckers are on a short timeclock the second their normal caretakers disappear.

You could probably just go the scavenger route for a fair number of years, but it won't be a particularly comfortable lifestyle before too long.

>durr, dis tecnobogy only work when it am good for it
>geothermal am no gud for no vulcanos!
News at 6, grass green and sky blue!

Attached: file.jpg (228x320, 87K)

Name a renewable source, other than a water wheel or a solar stirling engine, that is maintainable by a single guy or a family, is not detected from 3 miles away and provides a meaningful (i.e. more than some LED lights around the house) amount of power in a long-lasting emergency.

Attached: it's safe i promise.jpg (640x480, 63K)

are you literally fucking retarded?

Name a nonrenewable source that fits the same criteria you dumb faggot. Are you seriously claiming that making money from literally harvesting sunlight is a scam because it isnt tacticool?

>Are you seriously claiming that making money from literally harvesting sunlight is a scam because it isnt tacticool?

This is Jow Forums so it wouldn't surprise me

Best thing to do is poop into a gas can and then pee in it. Then shoot yourself in the head and then go home.

You will have company, you will not be the last man on earth.
Any event that kills even half of the US population also kills you.

It's called manual labor you absolute faggot. Eat animals plow a field. You got nothing but time now. Time enough to be pioneers 2.0.

>Not doing all of that as a drunken collective trying to figure out the ABCs of subsistence farming while eating MREs and potted meat for breakfast lunch and dinner
Let's take Jericho, the early 2000s post apocalyptic Jow Forums TV show as a template
>Agriculture
>Electricity
>Defense
>Fuck off we're full but we'll wave to you from a safe distance
Pretty accurate take on what a rural town of a few hundred trying to figure out how to make biodiesel for thier farm tractors and the bigass multigas generator to power the town's machine shop and water tower pump would be

>the bigass multigas generator to power the town's machine shop

I might could see a return to water-powered machine tools if it came down to it. As long as your machines are largely belt-driven it wouldn't be much of a stretch to rig it up to the shop's main drive shaft. Would certainly slow down production though.

Literally posted it. It's a (probably)Pu-238 RTG. Not enough watts? Get another one. Now only at 33.9 millisieverts/h.

dumb phoneposter

That's what trading is for.
Someone will be in control of a fuel storage station.
It may not last for ever but it will be there for trade.
Trading will happen quickly locally then grow from there.
Human nature is not ending in any event.
Communication, transportation and trade routes will develop within 6 months.
In a year even with little to no government active.
There will still be former government agents, attempting to establish order, law, supplies and communication.
Very few isolated towns and communities will be cut off from trade and government support for more then a year or two.

This is where hybrid cars shine. Wish trucks a well but whatever.
>Runs on electric for a bit when plugged in
>Has engine and gas to run off gas to charge if needed
>No Gas? No problem
>No Electric? No problem
>No Gas or Electric? You are in a problem you dont want to be driving around in.

You Sir, are an idiot.

Both wind and solar are at these levels. Please stop being so retarded.

How so? having two options for fuel sources I figure would be better than nothing. Not to mention MPG mix with electric is a good thing before hand.

Either recovery efforts will happen and gas will back in a few years or we be going back to steam or earlier. One of my problems with a lot of SHTF posters is they seem to think they are going to be lone wolfing it. If it hits the fan does anyone on these boards think of what they may do to help recovery or are they going to spasm out in a solo shit on every one else's life? If every survivalist operates as a "every man for themselves" then pic related is our future loadout.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 83K)

What game

Nice. if you had an electrolytic cell set up you could also make bleach and other useful chlorates.
Hydrogen is shit for ferrous metal welding due to hydrogen embrittlement, but if you had electricity you could run an arc furnace and make calcium carbide. With a simple carbide generator you could make acetylene on the spot.

another useful tool can be made from the glycerine waste from making biodiesel too....

>If it hits the fan does anyone on these boards think of what they may do to help recovery

We don't have any fucking marketable skills for shit like that. The only guys who will have it made are the carpenters, the welders, plumbers, the boilermakers and the handymen. The rest of us are FUCKED.

>TFW I know about railroads but that's not gud enough

solar panels you dumb fuck

>But how am I going to be powering my genny 5-6 years in?

Attached: Juancito.jpg (1486x1245, 536K)

On board with this. Sick of hearing all those atheist retards, "hurr, Durr, bad things happen sometimes, so there's no God!"

If that's true, just store it in a tank hidden underground a few yards away from your house.

The issue there is you now need to retrofit your gasoline engine with a regulator and mixer to effectively run propane. There are some fuel injected LPG engines but they have severe reliability issues.

If I store gas and I'm worried about it going bad, do I have to use the stabilizers BEFORE it goes bad, or can I just wait til I need it and add the stabilizer?

Ideally you slam some Stabil in that bitch right away.

>It's fine with me if you don't. I look forward to edgy atheists and pagan LARPers dying out
Christianity is the one currently dying out worldwide and they're the true LARPers considering that European Christianity had to adapt Pagan holidays and ideas to be palatable to Europeans.

Do you salt and smoke your pork before or after it grows fuzzy?

Does that stop it from going bad?
I don't prepare to store pork inevitably until an emergency situation occurs and you can't unrot pork.

If we get hit with another Carrington event/EMP, it will be up to 18 months for the DC to have electricity again, and up to 10 years for some limited electricity for State governments in all 50 States. There are only a couple companies in the world that make transformers, and if multiple countries are affected, you will see conflict just over where they end up in the waiting line.
You plan for longer than you could ever need, not the estimated minimum. You're dealing with government levels of efficiency.

Look into solar panels & marine battery banks.

When you fill your cans, have stabilizers and dry gas already in them. I keep my cans in rotation, but missed one that was over 3 years old when I realized it. It was still good.