Revolver locking up after firing

So my S&W 13-4 has been locking up after almost every shot recently. I'll shoot once and have the trigger lock up and the cylinder unable to open due to what I think the the lock re-engaging during recoil.

Is this something I can fix at home or do I need a gunsmith? The timing and lock up seem as good as they were when I got the thing some years back if that helps. Dry firing it works flawlessly as well.

Attached: file.png (1024x575, 1.14M)

The Crane and cylnder is held in by a screw on the R side of the frame remove them and inspect for wear or loose screw

I have a similar issue in that my s&w Model 19 seems to cycle just fine without the cylinder closed. The cylinder spins just fine outside the frame but it takes tremendous force to close the cylinder and then to spin it while pulling the trigger. it doesn't look like it is rubbing anywhere like on the forcing cone and ive cleaned underneath the ejector star.

Pop open the side plate and see if anything is wonky. Last time I saw this happen I had to file down a burr on the forcing cone that was locking up on the yoke, but that isn't your problem because then the revolver wouldn't dry fire.

Feeler gauge the forcing cone, model 19s are prone to firing cone expansion especially the earlier ones. Use a jeweler's file, 1 or 2 passes at a time and check for fit.

Actually instead of a feeler gauge you can just shine a light on the back side of it to make sure there is a gap, check this gap too, this is where is was rubbing on my model 19

Attached: Screenshot_20180730-022446_Gallery.jpg (1440x2960, 1.89M)

I can see a gap inbetween the forcing cone and cylinder face it can't be rubbing against that

Check the gap between the yoke

same story. nothing is touching there

Does it lock up on every chamber or just a few?

I have to grip the sides of the cylinder and spin it pretty hard to get it to cycle on any chamber

Take the cylinder off and try and close it up see if the crane is rubbing.

like close it without the crane or close it without the cylinder?

Without the cylinder

yeah the crane closes just fine without the cylinder and ejector rod in it

Tilt the gun down make sure everything spins freely and the cylinder is in round.

Attached: PhotoPictureResizer_180730_032044489-1701x3024.jpg (1701x3024, 659K)

the cylinder spins with no resistance when not closed. its only once i close the cylinder(which takes a light smack to get it all the way closed) that theres resistance to turning

If possible try another crane and cylinder in the gun, and that cylinder and crane in a different gun. This really still sounds like a forcing cone catching on the cylinder issue to me, can you get a feeler gauge thru no problem? Can you post some pictures?

it definitely appears to not be rubbing

Attached: Capture+_2018-07-30-10-33-51.png (1280x1576, 2.75M)

Do you have a set of calipers?

Before doing any of the above suggestions, take an old toothbrush, some oil and scrub everything under the extractor star. Open the cylinder, push on ejector rod as if ejecting cartridges, clean and scrub away.

He did that

I stand corrected. Carry on.

Theres really only 2 places it can catch. If you can try taking the extractor star out, reassemble and see if you can spin the cylinder while pushing it towards the back of the frame. If it spins freely, its rubbing on the gas ring to forcing cone. You can creep it up slowly as you spin it to see the contact point. If it still binds without the star in it something in your crane/yolk is bent.

You can get a .002 shim to put in front of the cylinder to correct it if its rubbing or just file off whatever is catching.

Attached: Screenshot_20180730-131036_Chrome.jpg (1440x2960, 606K)