MGS4 M4

TL:DR

Can you identify any of the special parts of this rifle? I'm looking at building one close enough to this rifle.

I'm totally new to ar's. This will be my first build. I've shot enough of them but never looked into buying parts. I've got a couple questions.

What separates an M4 from an og AR15? Just barrel length? Does building an M4 limit any part interchangeability?

So I need to get a certain barrel or gas block that will fit that front sight? I always though the old school front sight was the gas block, so will I need to look for something specific to be able to fit that style of front sight?

What about that slip ring? is that part of the rail system or a stand alone piece?

And whats that nubbins opposite the ejection port just above the mag well? Is that a specific style of upper?

Thanks guys!

Attached: AR-15.jpg (738x481, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/262410/World_of_Guns_Gun_Disassembly/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You do know what TL;DR means right?

Read a book.

Try a colt 6920ck upper. The rest looks standard.

M4 is a designation for the military configuration of rifle. AR15 is usually a reference to the design of rifle, being an AR15, and more specifically it usually being semi.

Youll be building an AR15 and if you want, it can be a M4 clone. The upper I mentioned has the proper barrel profile for m4 and the gas block you're looking for.

>Nubbins above the mag well

You mean the bolt release? I suggest, unironically looking up a basic bitch military TC or FM and reading the intro.

Pulled from the MGS wikia, you lazy fuck.

>A.R.M.S., Inc. #40L Low Profile Rear Sight.

>Knight's Armament Co. M4 Carbine R.A.S.
Free Float Rail System (#20208).

>Precision Reflex, Inc. (PRI) Flip Up Front
Sight.

>Troy Industries, Inc. 5.56mm Medieval Muzzle Brake (old version, circa 2005).

>Flattop (railed) upper receiver.

>14.5 inch (368.3mm) barrel with M203 notch.

>Tritium night sight embedded in the front sight post (visible as a white dot).

>A2 grip and six-position collapsible buttstock colored in coyote tan.

Did you even try googling this first? I know for a fact people have done builds of the MGS4 rifle before. IIRC some parts were first gen KAC parts that aren't easy to get now.

Dope man, thank you!

A little further up, just under the top rail. It's molded into the upper.

I've seen a couple different lists but they had conflicting information.

I searched for MGS4 M4 build and got a bunch of airsoft articles.

i've always wondered what that barrel nut is and to this day i've only seen it in csgo

That “nubbin” is part of the design. I suggest you go read a TC or an FM on rifles to give you a basic grasp. You seem too lost to make intelligent questions.

Attached: B52E2902-FBF2-4D62-B617-4572562589C8.jpg (1000x667, 634K)

A TC or FM probably won't tell you that that's clearance space for the bolt cam pin's head.

Old KAC free float barrel nut. Not really common way to attach free float any more.

Attached: 2AA49174-71AF-480B-9E3A-AA0C296C983F.jpg (1125x796, 280K)

But it will show that it is part of the standard design and not a special custom part.

what was it made for? cqbr? early m4? some other designation?

ARs are boring as fuck. Get some taste.
Also, containment thread.

Please, enlighten me as to what "some taste" means to you.

Just a heads up that an M4 government profile barrel is a compromise of evils and isn’t a great option. Since you won’t be strapping an M203 to it, you won’t get any benefit from it.

I know you want a LARP build, and that’s cool. But getting a different profile (pencil IMO) actually gives you something.

Also to be autistic “M4” is for the specific model of burst fire selectable military carbines. It has the forbidden pin. Yours won’t so it will be just a clone of a modified MGS build. The barrel length in your build will also be wrong for an M4. Not a big deal, just saying you’ll probably have some people at the range shaking their heads if you call your rifle an “M4”.

As far as I know it originally existed for the SR-25.

Just an early attempt at free floating a barrel. As the industry progressed they found better ways to do it cheaper.

I kind of agree, that's why I've never looked into them until now. The AR itself does kind of bore me, but building firearms has piqued my interest and I figured an AR would be a decent place to start just for parts availability, then I thought of making a clone of that rifle and got pretty excited about the whole project.

I didn't figure I'd SBR the rifle for just an inch and a half difference, so this won't be a direct clone, I just figured I'd get it as close as I reasonably could. I just didn't know if M4 had other, bigger differences than barrel length.

I suggest you start playing the game
World of Guns
Its on Steam
I have learned to assemble/disassemble weapons that as a civvie I'll probably never get to see much learn to assemble one

store.steampowered.com/app/262410/World_of_Guns_Gun_Disassembly/

Right now I am learning to assemble/disassemble a Russian BMP

>M4 government profile barrel is a compromise of evils and isn’t a great option
It's also not bad. Like, at all. At worst it increases weight, but you can still have a >6 pound rifle with one.

If you get all the KAC furniture and the colors right, I’m sure at least a few people will recognize it as an MGS4 build.

I just had flashbacks to people showing up with 16in barrel flattops they stuck carryhandles on calling them “M16A2” clones. It makes somebody look ignorant when they are *that* far off a proper build. I mean, people can build what they like, but I’d only say it was a clone if it was pretty dang close.

If you don’t mind weight, a heavy barrel works better. It’s not a huge difference for most people who are shooting at 50 yards from a lane, but just pointing out that government profile gives you added weight while not giving benefits.

M4 was originally made by bushmaster who hilariously lost the copyright in court over a generality of the term.
Shorter barrel than the m16.
Ar15 was the first one. Colt has an OG ar15 clone for 999.00 shekels but I heard their QC is a shit

exactly my thoughts. Like I said, I'm not going to sweat the inch and a half for the extra $200 tax stamp and the months of waiting time or finding that perfect stock with the right curve in front of the adjustment lever. If it's 90% of the way there I can enjoy it for what I have planned. I really just want to scream "LIQUID!" when I'm gathering my shit to go to the range.

Attached: Snake-Quote-Liquid.jpg (600x333, 108K)

>bushmaster
It was colt, bushmaster sued colt over the general use of the term m4
Fuck today is not my day

Barrel rigidity tends to increase with a thicker profile. Not a big deal, till you freefloat it, then it can make a difference. It's the same reason SPR barrel profiles are basically clubs.

Pin and weld a slightly longer birdcage flashhider. Boom, legal. No sbr needed, correct profile, and you can even throw a a bayonet on that bitch
>But why put a bayonet on-
Because fuck the people who try to ban that shit.

There is no bayonet mount on the PRI folding front sight. Otherwise, 14.5" P&W will look the best while avoiding the tax stamp.

YHM makes a close enough folding front that does have a lug though.

>>Knight's Armament Co. M4 Carbine R.A.S.
>Free Float Rail System (#20208).
good luck getting this shit for an ok price