M&P 15 sport 2 worth it?

Hey Jow Forums my LGS is having a sale on the M&P 15 sport 2 for about 460, I own several rifles but I've never owned an AR before, is this a decent rifle? I've always wanted to build one, but I doubt I'd be able to build one for that cheap. I understand there is a difference between a 2 thousand dollar rifle and this, I would probably want to upgrade it to a free float handguard, probably run some sort of red dot optic, maybe a scope. Should I do it Jow Forums?

Attached: 10202-3.jpg (1045x662, 230K)

The grip is going to suck senpai

It's good enough, besides that can be fixed later.
Go for it OP, they're not justasgood but they're more than good enough for someone to get familiar to ARs with.

I'm pretty competent with mechanical / bolt ons, so I'm not super worried about the furniture immediately. I'm fully confident I can replace the front grip and stock after buying the right tools of course, i was planning on building from scratch, and probably would have spent double and for essentially a plinker / HD / possible eventually 3 gun rifle.

Any ar priced over $800 and isnt chambered in .50 Beowulf or .300 winmag is over priced. It's a good rifle. Handguard is fine unless you plan to stick lasers, lights, 3 different foregrips, and a balloon to it. Also dont fall into the meme of spending more on an optic than the ar.

Attached: 1528559419667.gif (287x191, 2.77M)

It’s like a Honda Accord. It’ll get you from A to B. If SHTF happens, it’ll be a fine African Reducer type 15. More is nice, but probably not necessary.

That's a pretty good deal man. I went with the Ruger AR556 route and they are pretty comparable. Also replacing the grip is like a 10-minute job senpai.

It's stupid easy to build your own, it really helps you learn your rifle. You can also build it exactly to your liking the first time, no need to dick around later. If you're okay with pre built, the M&P 2 is more than fine, specially for the roles you're thinking kf.

for $460? Yes

Yeah, I'm not running over seas and fighting the terrorists. I'm just hoping there's some left in stock

Also I was wanting to do a foregrip, possibly a bipod one as I'm plinking. So the forend is a must for that obviously. I think I'm going to "pull the trigger" on it

>Also dont fall into the meme of spending more on an optic than the ar.
Do people still apply this rule to anything but long range rifles?

where do you live around?
what is the store called?

Yes.

sport II, ruger ar 556, or savage msr? Looking to get my first ar. I really want to buy something that is reliable, accurate, and will last for life. But isn't overpriced either. Should i just say fuck it and get a colt? or are there other ar's of comparable quality at lower prices?

I own the Ruger AR, and it's actually really nice. Ruger had been making the SR for a long time before they made that AR so I trusted them with the design of it. As far as I can tell, it's virtually no different than the S&W Sport II, it would really come down to preference and I preferred Ruger because they make more rifles than S&W and I just trusted them based on that. Think buying a truck from Ford vs a truck from BMW. They're both respected companies and brands but one knows trucks better than the other.

$460 is a good price. If you're in the market for an AR, I'd say go for it. There's nothing wrong with the M&P 15's, just another run of the mill basic AR.

Personally, if I was going to replace parts on it, I'd start with the stock. The M&P stocks aren't the comfiest in the world. Probably wouldn't mess with the handguard to be honest.

>buying an upper and lower
>building your own

Go for it OP. The M&P sport 2 is the golden standard for economic AR-15's. Smith and Wesson is one of the only big US firearms companies that has not thrown quality control out the window in the last 20 years. Your LGS has a good price too.

I just picked one up the other day. First ar and I love it. I’ve only got about 200 rounds through it but I’m definitely happy with my purchase

Get a ruger mpr

I've always heard, "Spend half of what you spent on the rifle for the optic". For OP, about $230 will put him in the range of a good Vortex or Holosun.