Please teach me about the model 70

please teach me about the model 70.

Attached: original.img.jpg (5174x1265, 1.19M)

Best version of the Mauser. Done.

Remshit. javelin it into the nearest dumpster.

> lmgtfy.com

The model 70 is Winchester tho, not Remington :thinking emoji:

It was good enough for Carlos Hathcock

Want one in .30-06.

why not .308?

30-06 is much more versatile. And the cartridge will never ever be out of stock. It’s the typical “hunting” round where as .308 is a military cartridge

Have one in .308. Sub MOA even with my shitty aim and a vortex scope. Also beautiful and feels quality. Their new "controlled push round feed" system allows you to utilize either push OR controlled feed. Fixed all the issues with the post 64s.

Post 2008 models are amazing.

I own a sporter in .30-06. The action is super slick, trigger is crisp, ejection is extremely positive, and it puts most factory ammo inside of an inch. I don't know why it doesn't get more love on this board, it's easily the best value at its pricepoint. Heirloom quality.

W a t

Attached: 85902508-1024x1024.jpg (820x1024, 320K)

Model 70 was originally developed from the Model 54, which was essentially a sporterized Springfield M1903.
The first version, usually called "pre-'64 Model 70s," was largely similar to the Model 54, with controlled-round feed and the Springfield cone breech. Earlier models still had a top-mounted safety, but this would move to the side on later models. These models can command a higher price because fuddlore claims that Model 70s made after 1964 were worse.
In 1964, the Model 70 underwent some modification. CRF was ditched in favor of push-feed, the cone breech was replaced with a stronger Mauser-style breech, and the one-piece bolt was replaced with a more concentric and more accurate two-piece bolt. However, small fit and finish problems with early models gave these Model 70s a bad reputation. In 1968 a guide rail was added to the receiver to improve the bolt smoothness (1964-1967 models could have rattly bolts) and by 1972, the fit problems with the stocks were fixed. Technically speaking, 1972-1992 are the best Model 70s available. Though some will swear by CRF, push-feed allows for a smoother, faster, and quieter cycle.
In 1992, the Model 70 Classic became the primary model, which returned to CRF but kept the Mauser breech. Model 70s have all been mostly the same since then, but different stock and scope mount options have been made available as time passed.
Overall the Model 70 has been the option for those looking for a quality sporter a step or two above the cheaper options like Remington amd Savage. The problems in 1964 contributed majorly to Winchester's financial problems and eventual sale to Olin in the following decades. While Model 70s are now built in Japan, modern Model 70s still maintain the legacy of quality set by Winchester decades ago and are still excellent sporting rifles.

All Model 70s have been controlled-round push-feed except for the push-feed-only models from 1964-1992. The Springfield M1903, Model 54, and CRF Model 70s would all let you push-feed a round, they just need an angle in the extractor to slide over the case rim. Only actual Mausers don't have that angle and won't push-feed a round.

Lel, dumb parrots

>"pre-'64 Model 70s,"
this is actually the state gun of alaska
not model 70's
it says
PRE 64 model 70s

must be good

>must be good
They are. That's why its the state gun of Alaska.

>Technically speaking, 1972-1992 are the best Model 70s available.
Ehhh, as someone who has a push feed and a CRF, I prefer the CRF. Both actions are smoother than Emma Watson's ass but the CRF is smoother and definitely has a better fit and finish and is a bit more classy.

Of course, you can find stupid-cheap deals on the push feeds. There is nothing wrong with them per se but at the same time don't bring anything more to the table than the dozen other push-feeds on the market.

Attached: 5524c3468db163330dffbe685bc380b0--winchester-model--super.jpg (640x292, 37K)

Current 70s are made in Portugal

Maybe it's just me because I have a pre-'64 CRF and not one of the later CRF models. Both my pre-'64 and push-feed Model 70s shoot great, but the push-feed model is much smoother.

So, basically, just don't fall for the pre-'64 meme. Whether OP wants a push-feed or CRF, get one made after 1968-72.

I have one. I wouldn't carry anything less. It really is the rifleman's rifle.

Good durr rifle/10

Attached: Boltgun Operating.jpg (2300x1606, 474K)

>"You must be 18 Years or Older to post here" the post.
Goddamn Zoomers.

I inherited a '68 in 7mm RemMag from my great grandfather a while back
What's wrong with the 68-72s

Probably nothing. Its just that quality can be hit or miss in the 60s and 70s rifles. Winchester was cheaping out (hence the action change in '64) and doing things like stamped checkering, using poor quality wood, rough metal, sprayed-on finish, etc. resulting in an overall lack of fit and finish compared to earlier and later years. And that makes them less collectible.

That's not to say you have a poor rifle. The last couple years of production in New Haven supposedly had some quality and accuracy issues as the employees knew they were losing their jobs and no longer cared but mine is a great shooter.

Attached: dunche.png (658x901, 64K)

>some tactifudd actually dressed up and posed in front of the police with his garbage rifle for internet points

holy hell that is sad