What would be the ideal bolt action rifle for SHTF? What caliber?

What would be the ideal bolt action rifle for SHTF? What caliber?

Attached: download (5).jpg (300x168, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/308-win-tap/110-gr-tap-urban
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

.308 Win
Can take any game. Common cartridge, basically identical with 7.62×51mm NATO, can shoot both from the same gun.

223/5.56, can carry much more ammo, and more readily available. If SHTF, defense will matter more than ethical kills.

Why not just carry .22rl if you want to carry more ammo

Or a pellet gun?

Or some rocks and a sling?

maybe pocket sand??

this.

mvp

Attached: SVbfDgFDtllz302xQnJEp7YXMABMzXjZYWw5V5ll1dg.jpg (960x720, 138K)

rape whistle it is

For self defense, when civilization has collapsed, with a boly gun, I'll take .308 over 5.56

>siiiiiip
>eyep, .308... now thats a round!

M1917 in .30-06

This nibba gets it

Boomers would say 30.06

5.56 is good for putting lots of rounds on target. If you don't have the supply chain of a first world army, you're better off hitting, and killing, what you're aiming at the first time.

.223. Still effective at decent ranges, lighter ammo is easier to carry and smaller ammo takes less space. Ammo shared with military, LE and a large majority of gun owners. Guns probably smaller so it should be lighter to carry.

Well obviously, I mean who the hell leaves the house without their pocket sand? But that's in addition to guns.
Bolt gun should be .308, AR in carbine configuration for defensive purposes. What kind of fucktard has only one rifle?

Stupid question, but are there any (good) lower powered .308 hollowpoints designed to work more as a "home-defense-ish" round? As obscure as the idea is, I can see people buying it.

I've made my choice

Attached: Scout.jpg (2200x1400, 1.39M)

So basically 300 memeout.

Essentially, but something that can work in .308 rifles.

That butt ugly flash hider is removable, right?

Something with a tuneable gas system might be able to fire really light handloads.

Yeah, standard threading. Haven't decided what I want to replace it with yet

not even a meme

pocket sand it is!

> hurr durr I'ma pick an old rifle with no rifling left in an obsolete calibre

Your fatness is showing.

>no rifling left
Then use one with rifling?
>obsolete caliber
More diverse than .308.
Nice thy though pal.

I see no reason to have a bolt action 5.56 over an AR. AR is very light, very accurate, very common so spare parts will be easy to find.

Bolt action makes sense for larger calibers because semi auto gets really heavy as you go up in cartridge size.

i would go with 6.5 creedmoor in something relatively light with a short 20" or so barrel

>.22 Lr
>.30-06
>.308/7.62 Nato
>.223/5.56 Nato

.270, .243, .303 Brit, 8mm Mauser and 7.62x54R are also pretty solid choice but the top four will be the eaiest to find

NOT ONE MOSIN POST. FUCK NU/K/

This. It’s going to depend on who’s got the drop on who. If they’ve got the drop on you, you’re fucked. If you’ve got the drop on them, they’re fucked.

You want your shot to put them down or immediately incapacitate them. The last thing you want is a wounded enemy who’s got nothing to lose.

Fuck off, kid.

Ayy

Attached: IMG_20180801_113925.jpg (2048x890, 741K)

Suppressor?

Maybe. Never really understood suppressing rifle rounds though.

If I want to go through all the rigamarole of the NFA, I want the damn thing to be quiet, not just quieter.

I like my Finn Mosin, I’d like to use a NDT scope mount so I can get into hunting, anyone do this? I know 7.62x54r isn’t as good as .308 for SHTF, but you can still buy it at Walmart, better than nothing.

Attached: C46EAFAA-D241-4DE1-9241-1DA457884BA7.jpg (480x320, 39K)

some people

imho combination of subsonic and suppressed is mostly worth it for indoors/backyard target shooting(22lr or so) or assassinating someone

Main advantage is the much reduced muzzle flash anyway, to hide you better from what you're shooting(they'll realize they're under fire so who cares about subsonics). In combat, suppressing the noise and reducing recoil are only extra, when you dont need to protect your doggos hearing

FR8 with Voere detachable magazine system and red dot.

Attached: C7244554-A535-4ECC-8E36-1875D9961280.jpg (640x640, 49K)

hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/308-win-tap/110-gr-tap-urban

>3 aught oh six

I'd just use one of my Finn Nuggets, personally.

>Thirdeeot six
Pick .50-BigManGun. You can snipe a coon from two miles off with a ma duece and the rounds are everywhere. Pretty sure it can kill a truck too.

Attached: 1528315470113.jpg (864x576, 69K)

Ayyyu

Attached: 28E9FDA5-B2E9-4108-A8DD-7391ACC3F9F3.jpg (2048x1536, 859K)

Would you say a bolt action still has value for people in a country where the AR isn't as common?

What is sooò good about forward mounting optics?

Wider field of view, fast target acquisition. i.e. snap shooting. Also on older scout rifles that didn’t have detachable magazines it left the action open for stripper clips.

The idea is that it improves your situational awareness by keeping your peripheral field of view more open.

Weatherstation 1500 in 6.5x55 in scout config

Well that deescalated quickly.

>What would be the ideal bolt action rifle for SHTF? What caliber?
Not a bolt action rifle. Semi auto .308.

Congrats. F. For reading comprehension.

the bolt action will always have value because it's a simple, reliable system capable of shooting larger calibers. They'll always be somewhat relevant regardless of whether you can own semi-autos or not.

Umarex hammer can allegedly drop a deer at 150m. .50 pellets cost like 40 cents a pop though.