Do you guys ever shoot .223 out of your 5.56? Is it reasonable to practice form and drills with cheaper...

Do you guys ever shoot .223 out of your 5.56? Is it reasonable to practice form and drills with cheaper .223 then switch to 5.56 later?

Attached: 699a0d73c1f69404397b74bc7c8f312e.jpg (640x480, 67K)

it literally makes no difference. Shooting a motherfucker with a .223 isn't going to yield a different result than 5.56. Bitch is dying either way.

Well I have a 5.56 rifle and I wondering practice wise if its smart to buy a shit load of .223 so I can shoot more.

Yes. Why not? There's no reason not to. ESPECIALLY if you're talking about range shooting

Idk, new to the not fud life so it's weird that I'd be able to fire 2 types of rounds out of my rifle.. but it's not gonna fuck with my accuracy or anything?

Yes do that

Unless youre shooting 400+ yards, no

Okay thanks, that being said should I break in the gun with 5.56?

No. The only appreciable difference is that 5.56 is loaded to higher pressures that guns rated for .223 may not be able to handle.
Same thing with 7.62x51 NATO and .308

IIRC the only difference between 5.56 and .223 is chamber pressures, so if its able to take 5.56 it literally makes no difference if you use .223, if it’s correctly made its not like its going to change the metallurgy or anything.
Google seems to agree with me.
Its metal, not leather, you really don’t have to “break” it in like a boot.

Gotcha thanks
Okay and so I don't need to do the whole fire a round clean it repeat thing?

I see people suggest doing that and I guess it makes some sense? But I am in disbelief that it has any noticeable real world effect.
You used to do that for durr rifles?

Attached: larue_tactical_MBT-25S-Trigger_2.jpg (750x1000, 355K)

You admitted to being a recovering fudd so I'll help you out.

It isn't two different kinds of ammo, it's just a designation difference. Main difference as it matters to you is slightly different chamber pressure.

Shooting 223 in a 5.56 chamber will be perfectly fine, you might sacrifice some accuracy if you expect it be pinpoint accurate at 500m. For practice or plinking it's no different.

Shooting 5.56 in a 223 gun is also ok. You might see slightly higher chamber pressures, which is dangerous in theory, but in practice, when people have tested this, there's so much variation in chamber tolerances that you could see similar pressure spikes even shooting 223 in a 223 chamber. And generally, the higher possible pressure isn't exceeding the safety limits anyways, so you're ok.

Oh and there is no real "break in". Don't worry about it. Just shoot the gun. If it breaks in and gets more accurate after 100 rounds, then great. But don't worry about it.

Thats more for the rifling, but I never did the shoot clean shoot clean thing and my barrel shoots great. I would definitely shoot a couple hundred rounds though it before you go trusting your life with it. My ar jammed a few times at first with steel ammo, but fter a few hundred rounds of brass it now shoots everything 100%

.223 ammunition has a minisculely shorter collar on the casing, that's why you can get malfunctions(like never) out of a 223 gun firing 5.56

.223 cartridges also have a thinner wall than a 5.56 case, meaning target guns Chambered for .223 will have malfunctions with 5.56

does chamber pressure affect recoil? I'm autistic about my training so I don't want to train with a lower recoiling .223 and then switch to higher recoil 5.56 or actual use.

its the same round, just slightly less velocity than 5.56. and even then, not really because most manufacturers load it to full specs

No, unless youre shooting something stupid like a ++++p+ hand load

I like to shoot .416 rigby from my 5.56

So I researched this. If your barrel is rated for 5.56 NATO or .223 Wylde, you can use both 5.56 NATO and .223 Remington. If your barrel is rated for .223 Remington, then using 5.56 NATO will cause malfunctions after shooting it for a while.

Sometimes yes

If you're shooting distance or competing and want pure accuracy results, use whichever one gives you better groupings. But at that point you should be using specific match grade ammo you buy or load for that purpose. Drill shooting and range plinking it makes absolulty zero difference

Thanks user!

Awesome, so I shouldn't shoot steel at first?

Shoot whatever you want. If the steel doesn't work, switch to brass. Some guns just don't like steel.

I have been blasting .223 of various manufactures as well as multiple different surplus 5.56 brands. .223 out of a 5.56 is ok, sometimes not the other way around, but not always. Out of 11 different manufactures of 223/556 I found the Italian made Perfecta ammo sold at walmart to be the hottest. Huge muzzle flash and much much louder. Problem is it is inconsistent, which is not good. Buy a little of each of whatever is available to you and experiment.

Gotcha, thanks for the advice

.223 was designed to kill while 5.56 just to wound

>that guns rated for .223 may not be able to handle.
If you don't have some bench gun with a SAAMI minimum spec chamber, you shouldn't have a problem.

I love how ironic the Perfecta brand name is.

Attached: perfecta223.jpg (800x600, 63K)

>Its metal, not leather, you really don’t have to “break” it in like a boot.
um...

Why did those retards in the military have to create 5.56 to begin with?

Because it was better for their use?

I hear a lot of good things about this trigger. Is it a good baby's first aftermarket trigger?
I want to stick with a factory trigger while I learn how to actually shoot so I could go for the slow wait option at their store and not be bothered, and it seems like a good step up without going full competition trigger.

Allegedly it's unparalleled at its price point. I think they're taking roughly 3 weeks to get them out the door and to you.