Thermal optics

How can I into pic related without spending lots of money?

Attached: 3A5EFCAB-9DBB-4396-8882-FB6B0C618EC2.jpg (1920x1080, 111K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tplogic.com/thermal-solutions/t25/
youtube.com/watch?v=2WvbATSNR0g&t=0s&list=WL&index=25
lepton.flir.com/community-showcase/lepton-stereoscopic-goggles/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Buy a phone scope adapter

Paint all the animals in your area with glow in the dark color.

Spend lots of money. There's really not much other choice.

How much are we talking here

Plus this
Bought a seek thermal compact
Did great til I lost it in San Diego.
Do add a lanyard or something to secure it.
Theyre easy to lose.
Do not buy a flir 1
Bought it and the battery was true dead on arrival.

The cheapest option is Leopold's LTO Tracker for $500-600. They're not rated for recoil, but do have a toggleable crosshair, and apparently hold up just fine to AR-15s and such. No adjustment in the sight, so you have to add an adjustable mount, too; still comes out cheaper than a proper thermal scope.

While not exactly high quality, I'm working on putting together a how to, parts list, and 3d models to print for a DIY thermal scope.
Bill of materials cost is going to be around 350ish assuming you have access to a 3d printer

Attached: 20180808_180418.jpg (3264x1836, 1.78M)

Are you the same faggot from this thread?
Who or what do you want to kill OP?

>How can I into pic related
Into feral hogs? tranquilizer darts, duct tape and lubricants.

Sweet, are you the guy who posted the maker link for NV using low light cameras?

it uses a flir lepton with an 80x60 resolution and with the lenses I have found its going to have either a 4x or 15x magnification.

no, this is the first time I have posted about my project on Jow Forums. also, this is proper thermal, no light required at all.

Attached: 20180808_180511.jpg (3264x1836, 1.35M)

Torrey Pines Logic has a few 'budget' thermal products, prices still pretty high, but nothing like the usual $5,000+ one sees for most thermal scopes. Their newest announced product is the T25. It's still in testing, but should be available by the end of this year. Features are similar to those of their T15, in terms of zoom level, viewing screen size, built-in recording, etc, but it's a much more compact unit and in some ways better.
tplogic.com/thermal-solutions/t25/
Suggested retail might be as high as USD$1,600.

I have their T12, one of the non-magnifying models. It's pretty much a shitty little thermal spotter with a tiny screen. It works, but forget about using it as a targeting device as the pixel count just isn't there - even with the most careful adjustment and practice I was getting 4" groups at 5 metres. Pathetic for shooting, but it'll pick out anything warm for quite a good distance, maybe practical as a spotter to 40 metres for rats, further for bigger critters.

The T25 zooms between 3x and 8x and has twice as many pixels in both directions, on a much bigger screen. Should be perfect for pest control.

6-10 in my local shops

Exactly. There was a fieldsportschannel youtube video a few years ago featuring 10,000 Pounds worth of night vision crap. Don't understand how guys can justify that kind of expense for a few rats, unless one were shooting them as a full time job. But the TPL stuff works for a fraction of that. The Leupold LTO Tracker might work too, with really nice adjustable mounts, but seems a fussy option compared to the T25 or T15.

why do i see ukrainian there?

Are you supposed to aim through your phone screen or what?

Cool, that is much better for a finished product. I can upgrade the sensor I'm using to the same one for $110 more to get the better resolution. there is pretty much no way I could pull of the variable zoom with only my 3d printer. The optics are going to be a large part of the cost on any of these cheaper thermal cameras no matter what.

They can justify it because they make money from those videos, and they are the few who are both interested and wealthy enough to put out quality videos in the first place. I make 28k or so a year but have probably 5k in guns. All they have to do is make 56k a year and it's justifiable even from an average Jow Forums lurker's point of view.
People have estimated DemoRanch at 400k+ a year when his income peaked, so for a guy like him that is the same as me buying a BCM AR solely based on percentage of income, but that ignores things like cost of living.
It costs me about 15-20k a year to live. Lets say 18k. That's 10k remaining.
Even his lavish lifestyle can't possibly cost more than 90k a year to live (the rest are frivolities). So he has 310k remaining.
So him buying one is the equivalent of me
(and probably you) buying one meal at a medium class restaurant.

if you have to ask...

Nice. Good to see that the prices have really gone down. Is there a version without the false color (just "black and white")? I have a feeling that will cut down on latency because lolnoprocessing.

Also are you sure there is no IR light required? How does it accomplish image intensification then?

It would be a lot of fun to stick one of those into a chinese airshit dummy NVG set.

Attached: UK-CA-737T-2[1].jpg (1200x670, 172K)

Simpler explanation: The company making the expensive item sends it to them to shill, then once shooting is over they have to send it back.

remove IR filter from pic related, shine into both eyes.
Congrats, you no longer need NV

Attached: 13880-green-laser-diagrams-better-understanding-1-greenlaserpointer-apart[1].jpg (607x440, 32K)

What do you fucking think?

Attached: 91ae3TsrI1L._SX355_.jpg (355x243, 17K)

youtube.com/watch?v=2WvbATSNR0g&t=0s&list=WL&index=25
new FLIR mini ThermalVision unit

>Ukraine
No such thing, but tell me what you think you saw and where exactally you saw it

Attached: mike-hetherington-red-squirrel.jpg (1000x767, 149K)

GHAY

Take a look at this

lepton.flir.com/community-showcase/lepton-stereoscopic-goggles/

Attached: early_glasses2-med[1].jpg (889x500, 137K)

there is a button that I can add a switch for color modes. as for latency the camera itself only runs at 9hz to meet ITAR requirements and the microcontroller is running at 84 MHz. It does not require an IR light because it is an image intensifier, it picks up LWIR waves that are produced by objects radiating heat.

By spending a little amount of money, and then realising it was a complete waste of time and money, and spending lots of money anyway.

We need to make a ied that paints all the animals that set it off.

I don't have much more electronics knowledge than dicking around with arduino in a couple college engineering classes. What is the significance of the Hz on the camera end, other than whether or not the microcontroller can keep up? Also is it possible for you to overclock it?

The camera runs at 9 frames per second. there is no known way around that without paying a ton more for the 30 fps version. the micro controller is more than enough to do almost any processing to the data even with the higher tier camera.

Good to know. Can you see "background" objects in a totally unlit room? Like if you pointed your camera into a dark closet, will you see what's inside? From what I've read the image is based on temperature difference, so what if there is no huge heat source in the area you're looking at?

This will only be able to show things if there is a temperature difference. the camera I'm using can see about a 0.25 C difference, so you can see lighter and darker spots in a dark doom where objects have higher and lower heat absorption/radiation. its best uses are for spotting people and animals against the background. its not super useful for navigation or seeing that background.

is ment for

I expected that. Oh well, someone will come up with a cheapo gen3-ish project board eventually.

Neat project btw, I would pick it up and trade notes with you if I weren't neck deep in other projects, both personal and work.

This would probably make the price explode, but what if you were to feed the image from a conventional image intensifier tube into a raspberry pi connected to the FLIR Lepton camera, then overlay the thermal image onto the intensifier image? You'd gain back some total darkness vision.

Yes, I think you'll be much happier with the higher resolution. As a spotting scope the 60x80 pixel screens are okay, but I need reading glasses to make anything out on the tiny screen. With double those numbers on a 1.5" diagonal screen I'll still need glasses, but it'll become practical to zero on rat's brains from as far as 20 metres at 8x magnification, and that's good enough for my needs. It'll match the precision I'm getting with my cobbled together 3x scope and IR monocular from Carson, the NV200, which delivers a clear enough image for airgun rat control to 20 metres. I only use head shots on rats or squirrels and don't want to have to do follow-up shots, just too icky and mean spirited, so my thermal must be of a certain minimum clarity and precision in the reticle placement.

I've got a range of old lenses from various dismantled optical devices and intend to make a little kydex box behind the screen of the T25 for one of those, such that I can use it like a normal optical scope, without glasses. A 2" to 3" tube with a small lens at the back will keep the screen from lighting up my whole face. Important, because rats are very wary of anything new. With the dull red IR emitter on my current setup I typically have about 3 to 4 seconds from lighting it up to taking the shot before they'll run off. I usually take less than 2 seconds, so that's alright, and their apprehension about the red light is part of what keeps them sitting still for me to line up a shot. But I'm looking forward to the proper thermal for completely dark shooting. I'd rather simplify things so only the noise I make in walking around needs to be considered.

Yeah, whether it's the insane economics of Youtube ad revenues (seriously, why do so few use ad blocking software?) or folks shilling products for distributors, that whole world is beyond me. I'm just a lowly consumer, making about what you do though I'm an extremely highly skilled craftsman - just too nice to charge the rates for my work that others do, knowing that my particular clientele are artists and that they're in difficult economic times. I get by comfortably enough, and buy myself the odd toy, but that's rare. My 'disposable' income goes mostly to family fun like road trips. But a really decent thermal scope to take care of rats is one toy I will easily justify, so long as it's about $2,000 or less here in Canada.

I already have a few of the better cameras and a proper flir scope. this is just a thing trying to see how cheap it can get for a kit, not pack more features.

Could you do the same thing with an infrared camera, given enough IR light?
Would it work for IR Lasers too?
I've looked this up to no end without any concrete answers

Attached: 1529705091403.png (923x713, 45K)