What makes a tank

What makes a tank...
good ?

Attached: 1519921140397.jpg (931x524, 79K)

It destroys the enemy tank.

fair enough

a good crew and a good combined regiment that completes a task
an old t55 can be the best tank in the world if it properly does its job attacking an enemy position even in urban areas, if the infantry gets the right support and does its job
thats what the anti tank weapons do, not other tanks
a tank demolishes a house or an entrenchment while the infantry is engaging it, and many other similar tasks
best place to look at good tank utilization is syria after the russians trained them

A t 55 round would bounce off a modern tank

thats why the infantry has anti tank weapons to pop them, and then infantry that doesnt carry anti tank weapons harasses the infantry that has anti tank weapons to pop them, while a tank swoops in
it might sound weird but a tank is supposed to show up for 5 to 6 minutes and get the fuck away in a modern battlefield

Blitzkrieg attacks

Good at what?

If a tank has equipment to spot and shoot enemy tank first while supporting infantry, it is a good tank,
If a tank doesn't have such equipment it is, most likely, a dead tank

>a tank demolishes a house or an entrenchment while the infantry is engaging it
That's artillery's job. A tank is only brought in to do that if there's no artillery on the call.

in between buildings is a building where you need to blow up the lower section
only a tank can do that, not artillery
besides, tanks provide cover to infantry among other things

anti tank weapons are for that task, not other tanks

>tfw some autist I know unironically thought tankettes with paper thin armor and autocannons should replace MBTs cause "muh planes".
Ignoring how that's basically a shittier IFV how else is this retarded?

The big ol bullet

NONSENSE, why else would we have APFSDS rounds in every tank?

Obviously crew is most important because without crew tank is not doing shit. Tanks must protect crew and in Iraq for example tanks were tried and tested.

Speed matters. I was on the Bradley (weaker and slower than a real tank) but it did a fantastic job at protecting us. Sucked maxing out at around 35 mph. When you're moving ducks like in a carnival game speed matters. Detonating IED's on target gets exponentially harder when an object is moving faster. Abrams goes around 60 mph (or I've heard). Never actually drove one.

I think by the responses read on here most people don't appreciate the role played in Iraq which could be played anywhere in the world. Protection not from other tanks but from terrorists (like with IEDS). That was the name of the game in Iraq. Humvees got blown the fuck up a lot more than bradleys.

The ability to work on tanks matters also. You don't want a tank deadlines because of bad track. Sucked for us Bradley guys because we had to remove the sideskirts most the times to change track (heavy as fuck) meanwhile I heard Abrams guys just swung the sideskirt open.

The most important thing is that a good tank should also be solid.

Spearheading assaults on enemy positions after the jet jockies are done cleaning it up but before the big boi shellheads can set up shop.

mobility
reliability
armor
firepower

>it might sound weird but a tank is supposed to show up for 5 to 6 minutes and get the fuck away in a modern battlefield
bullshit the tanks role is to break resistance entrenched or pillboxed also to use it's mobility to strike deep when needed and also can kill enemy tanks and other armor

>Abrams goes around 60 mph
almost all tanks go with around 60 so that's a safe guess

the user

What sort of weaksauce tracks do the Brads use, anyway? I heard they aren't even rated for barbed wire!

being made by the British

Good armour, and doesn't turn into a deathtrap when the ammo is hit

Oh no, it's retarded

Attached: jcxF8St.jpg (534x400, 13K)

>what makes a good tank
Kills other tanks dead
Hard to kill by anything other than another tank
Crew survivability
Fast enough to keep up with other friendly vehicle formations

the tracks are strong and can tear up anything metal but you want track pads if you're driving on roads. We drove on roads SO MUCH over there that if you drive WITHOUT the trackpads (rubber pads that go in pairs under the actual tracks) you will wear out the metal quickly. Will eventually HAVE to change the track out. Trackpads soften the ride and make a difference to how we perform. Fucking vibration without the pads gave me a goddamn headache and the entire tank vibrates (this is on hard asphalt). I'm talking we'd drive like 30 miles a day+. In the summer we'd have to change the track out like every other day because the pads started falling off and when you have track WITHOUT pads and track WITH pads it was all fucked up. pads are on there screwed not like glued or whatever.

It must be impressive
It must be superior
It must be patriotic
It must be Chinese.

Front turret, yes. Anywhere else and no

apfsds don't bounce

Why are you still living in 1940 British tank doctrine?

Quite a lot of effort goes into making tanks able to take on tanks.

Kek