Peoples thoughts on the Mosin Nagant?

Been looking and it looks pretty nice considering how cheap it is. What does Jow Forums think?

Attached: Mosin-Nagant_M1891_Dragoon_-_Ryssland_-_AM.067668.jpg (2050x900, 360K)

I think it's not that cheap anymore, but is still a fun gun to shoot.
If you can find it under $250, go for it.

1 is nice, 10 is nicer, but they cost 10 times what they used to, so 1 is good enough

don't bother at this point unless you find one for exceedingly cheap

>Been looking and it looks pretty nice considering how cheap it is.
The "muh cheep nugget" meme is years expired. Prices have risen dramatically, and unless you really want one for the history of it, there are way better options available at comparable prices (or even cheaper).

I know a shop that has one for $150. I was thinking I'd ask for $125 and see what they say. How's that?

they are adequate for what they are and neat but at this point in time you can spend the same amount on modern cheapass guns that will outshoot the best mosins.
only get one if you really want a mosin for some reason.
do not buy one cause ancient memes said they were cheap or a good pick.

that's a good buy, I'd go for it

buy it
a $150 mosin is rare these days. The only time I've seen them go that cheap in the last few years was at a local auction house. $250-300 is a normal asking price today.

It's pretty unspectacular. I'd argue that for what they're going for now, they're not really worth it unless it's got a niche in your collection. It's not that they're not fun to shoot, but there are better things out there now for just a little bit more, and with ammo drying up, they're not much cheaper to shoot than anything else.

If you want a WW2 bolt action that's actually fun to shoot, I'd suggest getting an Enfield. They've got the smoothest bolt of anything I've ever seen that's not a Verguiero or Krag, and ammo's not that hard to find. They're far easier to shoot comfortably - I find I can't hold my Mosin right unless I'm standing, while my SMLE is fine from any position - and they're generally just better guns.

$150 is about the lowest you can reasonably expect nowadays. If that's what you want, go for it.

Attached: Spinach Gnocci with Enfield.jpg (3024x2268, 1.29M)

You can get a newly manufactured rifle for around the same cost.
150 is probably a good deal depending on the condition it's in. There are actual collectible ones if you know what to look for, when the cheap milsurp comes in they let other people come through that first and pick stuff like that out. Otherwise they just sell the lot of cheap then other people try to resell it for more. If you were hoping to get a valuable collector piece it's really unlikely you'll find any if it's not in a big import batch.

the Lee Enfield's bolt mechanism is pure sex

Peek at the ammo prices first. You don't get a crate of Soviet ammo free with every hamburger meal any more.

It hasn't been modified. Numbers match. The bore is super dirty, it's been counter-bored about a 1/2 in, but the rifling looks decent. I don't know anything about markings. It's got a hammer and sickle above a laurel branch stamped on the top of the reciever. wood is pretty beat up.

Another consideration is that cheap surplus 7.62x54r has pretty much all dried up, so you'll be buying commercially-made ammo and will be paying maybe a dollar a shot when you want to take it to the range. Remember that it's not just purchase price that matters, but total cost of ownership.

Again, if you really want one, go ahead. But if you just want a cheap blaster, a Maverick 88 will end up with a way lower TCO because of ammo costs. 12 gauge target loads are $5-6 for a box of 25 at any big box store, and even defensive loads can be bought for a very low cost per round online.

I already have cheap blasters. I was considering the Mosin as a collectors item thinking they might increase in value.

Everybody needs one.

Attached: M91_12-11-2016_C.jpg (1200x1600, 876K)

For $150 go for it. Back when they were cheap I bought the common ones( a few 91/30s, M38, M44, and a M91). Luckily stocked up on ammo too. I guess the point is no, anything above $200 isnt worth it. Unless it's a rarer one.

Newfag

This

Attached: Screenshot_20180905-122249_Gallery.jpg (1033x932, 575K)

if its not in godawful condition now you could buy it and immediate resell it for 250 ish

Ah, see that's what I wanted to hear

Isn't the mosin a lot more simpler, durable and reliable?

Attached: 1530155515214.png (1500x761, 276K)

>simpler
Not at all. The whole reason the bolt feels so weird when you open it is because there's so many different camming surfaces in the bolt.

>durable
Barely, but broken extractors seem to be more of an issue on Mosins than Enfields in my experience.

>reliable
Nope. The Mosin bolt has a few little spots where its easy to get dirt into, and the front locking lugs, while good for the long-term life of the gun, make it more suceptible to reliability issues from dirt.

SMLEs have a pretty good record on durability and reliability. And they are pretty simple in design when it comes down to it. There's little practical difference between all the various bolt rifles that saw military service.

>dollar per shot
no 50 cents

Attached: 54r.png (1290x918, 550K)