Thoughts on this guy?

thoughts on this guy?

Attached: based tankman.png (854x617, 380K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TwIlrAosYiM
youtube.com/watch?v=8JhKyoHqEvw
youtube.com/watch?v=rTnS0XS2al8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Who is he and what did he do

Attached: 1536170718011.jpg (1024x784, 105K)

His voice makes watching paint dry sound interesting, but he seems to know a great deal

he knows his stuff in and out. think I've watched all his content

>inb4 MUH WORLD OF TANKS

Is the guy on the right wearing his shirt inside out?

Looks like the boomer meme if I look at him now lmao

>"ahhh tanks, they don't make them like they used to"
*sips*

Well time to fap.

I'd like him to tension my tracks ;3

oh my god user is on fire

Attached: 1523456923773.jpg (301x324, 17K)

He makes reasonable arguments in the defense of the Sherman.

Unironically looks like a homosexual.

Highly informative with actually researched information. He can make watching paint dry interesting. Watched all of his non-gaming content.

Did a good recap on what people got wrong on the sherman in ww2. Overall informative and entertaining, sometimes makes you wish he would have gone more into detail in some of his vids.

I enjoy his walk around a of tanks and gives a tankers perspective on what would be ideal, what's good design and what was just crazy

I like him a lot, its a shame his production quality declined after doing all that stuff with RIA.

His accent and speech pattern make me want to help him out and rip out his tongue so he'll stop gurgling it. Otherwise, seems like he's a pretty informative guy.

I like the way he demonstrates how easy/difficult it was to evacuate a tank in combat conditions, it's really eye opening.

Attached: taking my loli and leaving.jpg (1915x2000, 582K)

oh god the thread is on fire

I want him to do the Valiant.
Mainly because I want to see exactly what’s wrong with it

Mind informing a newfag who this guy is?

>TFW The Chieftain and Ian were both at RIA but there's not gonna be a combo video
>TFW you'll never see Nicholas, Ian and Steve eat old rations on the engine deck of a tank while talking about guns.

Attached: 1494818652450.png (384x390, 175K)

The Chieftain
He's a technical adviser for World of Tanks and is an actual tank commander in the US Army.
Used to operate Abrams but is currently commanding a Bradley in the California National guard

Attached: 1529717159333.jpg (1024x949, 98K)

I unironically think that an Irish brogue makes presenters more interesting.

official world of tanks historian
does vids with them and on his own.
sherman shill (in a good way)
known as The Chieftain
also apparently actually plays world of tanks but i hate that game so idk.

youtube.com/watch?v=TwIlrAosYiM

>butthurt wehraboos and vatniks inbound

He has American citizenship. Unnerving to hear him talk about American tanks, saying 'we' about the 1940s.

>tfw the tank is on fire.

Attached: 416516.jpg (1200x898, 137K)

High definition content, has the knowledge or knows where to go to find it, respects historical context of armored vehicles and realizes they are more than just numbers and blueprints, shows up close things few would get to see, fantastically dry sense of humor.

I wish I could see Ian and Nicholas have a conversation, unfortunately their areas of interest are different.

Attached: 414364537.jpg (1280x720, 98K)

Every time

Attached: 1439443847067.gif (701x389, 252K)

Oh no the tank is on fire

He's just a good, solid tank guy.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 12K)

Wish he didn't shill for a shitty video game.

this even though it wouldn't be much of an improvement but he coulda at least taken the War thunder sheckles

>implying WT is any better
Hint: it's not

Yeah, his connection to that game is pretty sad because you know that inside he must know what a shitty unrealistic arcade game it is and that its audience consists of screeching 12 year olds more than actual tank aficionados. He deserves to be connected to a much better tank game like Steel Beasts or something. Not that there are many of them out there.

You gotta feed yourself, and Wargaming has a lot of shekels for you to fuck around with tanks

Wish those fucks at Kubinka just hand the Maus over to Bovington

I have a feeling he minds it being an unrealistic arcade game less then he would mind shilling for a game that tries and fails be a realistic simulation.

Attached: Maus Slide.gif (478x405, 1.39M)

shut up it is way better.
>tanks with hitpoints
no one pretends wt is actually realistic, not even wt.

I find him to be pretty annoying, he shits on every german vehicle, praises russian ones, and generally is the most normie tank person ever.

he pointed out the t34's low quality tranny and super low survival rates.
highlighted russian tank doctrine of not expecting the tanks back in russia for the most part
shits on absurd german engineering that required multiple factories to complete each tank with more modifications going on that slowed down production for no practical reason other than some flag officer said so
praises western logistics and focus on reliability and dispels myths that shermans were just waiting to catch on fire
acknowledges US armor was designed for the pacific, europe, and africa so is often samey.
actually references national archives and foreign museums.
goes over track tension, an often overlooked little thing that no one else talks about
gets out of tanks that are aflame with invisible fire at record speeds

what a shitty dude tho

>fantastically dry sense of humor.

"Having the fuel tank right in the front left of the crew compartment was not the most popular feature of this vehicle."

it's ok. he's irish

>unfortunately their areas of interest are different.
I wouldn't say that at all. Fair enough, their respective video series cover different topics, but I sure as hell bet they would have a lot to talk about. Just look at the videos The Chieftain did for his channel during Tank Fest. Lots of them had to do with stuff other than tanks. Hell, they both did videos on the exact same 40mm Bofors gun that came out within a week of each other.

WT has hitpoints as well, just hidden under a veneer of "muh realism".
>no one pretends wt is actually realistic, not even wt.
Explain Realistic and Simulator modes then.
Might have been the ISU-152 episode

War Gaming, for what it's worth, was founded by people who loved military history. Whether or not that is apparent given the state of World of Tanks is questionable, at best. Still, the fact remains that WG's foundation is on the sort of research and respect for history that allows them to give a fuckton of money to people like Moran and organizations like the Tank Museum. Gaijin, on the other hand, is a pretty run-of-the-mill studio who just happens to develop a competing game. They have no real interest in preserving and restoring artifacts, let alone paying people to go around talking about them. I can't hold that against them. They make video games; they're not a charity or an educational institution. It's simply something that WG does because they want to, not because it's common industry practice.

>thinks anyone actually thinks realistic mode is realistic
>thinks fucking anyone plays simulator
also no, it doesnt have hitpoints. you can pen the same part of a tank 30 times and the tank will be ok. have you even played the fucking game? the only "muh realism" bits come from disabling tanks by killing the crew or having the ammo cook off.
is just more fun to aim at a specific point to have a specific effect vs doing X damage.
different strokes for different folks but no one who plays either calls it realistic, people just say wt is more realistic which it is. more =/= is.

I started playing WT back in 2013 you numpty. And yes, it does have hitpoints. It's not obvious like in WoT, but the modules and crew do have health bars.

A few of my favorites were:
>In the Panther video when looking at the driver's position: "You will note it goes to 100 kilometers an hour, I do not think that the tank can get to 100 kilometers an hour. In fact, if it ever got over here [points to around 50kph], somebody is doing something very strange."
>Opening of the ISU-152 video: "If you're a member of the Red Army around mid-1943 and wished to remove a building, or half a city block, which offended you..."
>When looking at the loader's position of the Char B1 Bis: "All I can say is; God help the poor man."
>His entire look at the Jagdpanzer 38 (NOT a Hetzer and NOT as good as WoT would make people think it is)
There's a bunch of others. Too bad he says he doesn't typically look at vehicles Richard Cutland (The Challenger) looks at. Seeing Nicholas comment on the Tiger, Jagdtiger, and some other stuff would be a blast.

I'm not sure how much Ian knows about armor and how much Nicholas knows about guns outside of what he has trained with. I'm sure they could find something to talk about, but I don't know of any event that would bring them together for the same period of time. The Bofors videos was more a happy coincidence. I wonder if they've ever met.

Wasn't the RIA stuff done on his own?
Those videos are only on his personal channel and not the WoT channels.

>>no one pretends wt is actually realistic, not even wt.
>Explain Realistic and Simulator modes then.
>It's not Realistic, it's "Realistic™"

Yeah, alright.

Chieftain a cute
youtube.com/watch?v=8JhKyoHqEvw
10:34

Very informative videos that goes deep into the operation of the vehicles.

Amusingly he was one of the historical advisors for the GuP movie and was credited in the credits, and well, he approves of GuP.

>Richard Cutland
It'd also be nice because a lot of the time he's wrong and he has no personality. I respect the man for what he does, but Moran is just so much more enjoyable to watch.
They're also different audiences in a way. I mean, Cutland (if I recall correctly) does more well known vehicles, like the T-55 and Tiger. Moran tends to stick to vehicles that may not be obscure, but certainly aren't well appreciated (Crusader, Sentinel, B1, etc.) It does make sense, since Moran puts out something like two or three tanks worth of videos for every one Cutland does, so he can afford to cover some different stuff.

The RIA stuff is all just him and a camera crew (who I think work for RIA) looking at tanks. There's no support or involvement from Wargaming, which is actually really nice since it means a series of videos for a tank comes out in the same week, as opposed to a couple of weeks.

those have hp...but the tanks dont. which is the only thing im saying.
also 2013 here.

the company called it realistic because they adjusted handling of planes and added more limitations, such as reliance on fuel and need to reload ammo.
no one treats it like il-2 sturmovik ya dingus. people have shat on it ever since they changed the name from historical to realistic or whatever it used to be. it's just more realistic than arcade due to limitations and removal of enemy names until you're close for Air or not at all for tanks.

>lights up enemy tanks with red arrows
>can repair tank transmission in the field under fire
>external mgs controlled by telekinesis
yeah people totally sell it as actually realistic.

Attached: 1534587173431.gif (202x360, 1.84M)

I feel the same way. A lot of what Cutland gets for a script seems to just be the same old anecdotes and basic facts on the typical WW2 vehicles. He doesn't have the same personality as Moran but he doesn't seem like a bad guy. The only video of the two of them chatting was kind of nice since they got along and Cutland got to give some more knowledge than he usually does in his quick videos.

It's crazy how fast he busted out of the sherman

I met him at a Wargaming event in Boston a few years ago. Pretty chill guy to talk to. He kind of hams it up on stage.

My bad, they did a few videos together. The "Virtually inside the tanks" series where the cameras a 360 pannable one.

Because the Sherman was a very good design for the crew from the very first iteration. Then it only improved over the war as the loader got his own hatch (and a field mod was issued to tanks already built) and the hatches became spring-loaded. It was as simple as unlock the hatch, push up, and get the fuck out. I never quite realized how rare that concept was in WW2 until seeing numerous videos of entering/exiting tanks from that era.

He literally, as in the literal definition of literally, constantly repeats that world of tanks is NOT realistic, and that gameplay will ALWAYS take a backseat to historicity. Google his talk on researching tanks. He also pointed out steel beasts and said he could train his tankers with it, but then he said "But steel beasts is not fun."

In fact he had the audience do a quick survey, how many people play wot, and how many play steel beasts. He made the point that the average person (normie) wants arcade fun not realistic grueling sim. Think about how many people play civilization vs wargame. Or Verdun vs BF1. Even though everyone thought of Verdun when BF1 was coming.

Sometimes you forget, we're the weird ones. Most people just want cheap quick fun, it's why prostitution has been around longer than marriage.

>I never quite realized how rare that concept was in WW2

The Comet video was amazing. I'm not claustrophobic but I started to get the creeps thinking about how totally trapped the driver is in that tiny little pocket he has.

"THE FENIAN WILL RISE AGAIN"
What did he mean by this?

He does an excellent job of demonstrating the life of a tanker from each position in a given vehicle.

This naturally tends to lead him towards an emphasis on ergonomics, which wasn't even an official term back then. And, together with the reliability issue, helps to explain his favor towards the Sherman.

His hour-long lectures (he seems to do about one a year) have been really, really good at providing an understanding of the history of US WWII tank/TD doctrine and development, and the importance of viewing a tank as part of a "system" (although he never explicitly uses that modern buzzword).

Oh, and his video on watching paint dry is rather humorous.

You want him to be mutilated?

FYI Ian hate rations.

Attached: 00012e8e-800.jpg (800x600, 74K)

"Oh my god, the tank is on fire" in a calm voice, will be the words in your head for every evacuation from a vehicle you will hear from now on.

is that baldrick from black adder?

It would be, as he says, "a significant emotional event."

I might consider going back to WoT if they make a Nicholas Moran commander with voice lines recorded like that.

I always love whenever he comes across a Soviet vehicle that has machine guns mounted on the hull and the driver is supposed to use them. His goofy pantomiming of how to aim and what everyone else in the tank is doing is always great.

It's hilarious watching him big-dog lindybeige on the subject of tanks.

>thoughts on this guy?
Attractive face, nice salt and pepper hair, perfect eyebrows, preportionate nose.
10/10 for his age except his small ears and tired slav eyes make him an 8.

The M41 video gives us this line with regards to the escape hatch for the driver on the bottom of the tank.

>“I think it’s small, but I guess if you’re well motivated you’ll get out”

Not really, he is decently knowledgeable but made a couple basic mistakes on the b1 bis (confusing radio mast with MG mount, not talking about the hull MAC 31 or the naeder... despite being coached by the museum's curators, I suppose) that prevent me from trusting him on tanks that I don't know.

Also, contrary to a guy like Ian that basically oozes enthusiasm and manages to remain humble and admit when he doesn't know something, I get nothing from him but boredom and smugness.

agree. can't stand lindybeige

>wehraboo namefag finds facts annoying
pottery

I think you're confusing dryness with smugness user. It's an honest mistake as both are common in bongistanis and their peripheral ethnicities.

He was nice enough when I met him at Tankfest 2018. He was talking to David Fletcher & David Willey before people were doing meet and greets.

I like lindybeige, but he has his wheelhouse, which is antiquity and the medieval period. Once he wanders into the modern era, he's out of his depth.

I think his hobbyist interest in tanks leads him to overestimate his expertise in that subject. But he has an above layman's knowledgebase and he's a good talker, so when he presents a tank by himself, he comes across well. However, when he does joint videos with The Chieftain, who (operates,) studies and documents tanks as a profession, lindybeige's shortcomings become obvious.

Dryness isn't a quality either. The man is visiting tanks for a living, he could at least try to look more pleased/interested in what he does than a siberian customs officer checking crates of dog food daily. Doesn't he claim to be american?
This is the face of a man that isn't paid nearly enough for this shit.

lindy's only right on pure fucking accident even when talking about medieval shit

Literally this, imagine getting paid to learn about tanks and messing with them as a job while making a nice living. Of all videos where I see him mentioning wot he never let's the game's arcade nature to interfere with the review he is making.

Lindy occasionally makes good points in demonstration videos. That’s usually relating to role playing and pop culture conventions and is almost always something that’s pretty well known to people with an interest in the subject.

Picture yourself in the same situation, of bohemia interactive paid you to review all sorts of pistols rifles smgs etc, while getting paid 100k a year wouldn't you do it.

Clearly the solution is do like the IS-7 and put (static) machine guns everywhere in the hull and turret.

One problem is he is too tall for WWII tanks. He crouches over periscopes that should be in line with his head. Its a little bit ridiculous sometimes. youtube.com/watch?v=rTnS0XS2al8 1:50 and look what his knees are doing

He's a Shermancuck.

One of those loathsome historical revisionists trying to sanitize the notorious history of the Sherman's suvivability using incomplete and unknowable numbers and alleged stats.

Attached: 1525489930842.png (329x242, 121K)

I like him because he's about the same height and build as me so I now know ahead of time which World War 2 tanks I'll be able to hijack when I complete my time machine.

Attached: 54251704_p0.jpg (386x295, 83K)

if your tanks will come with cartoon japanese schoolgirls, i'll help you

They both did a video on the Bofors. Chieftains definitely takes it for being more useful to a serious bidder. More detail on the particular model. For instance he brought up the sights on it weren't even a bit US standard.

If the Sherman was really that horrible then it must have been downright terrifying for the crew member of any other vehicle.

I'd like to see him take a look at some Japanese or Italian tanks.
Italy was kind of a sorry affair throughout WW2, but Japan's stuff was pretty decent for where they were fighting and what they were fighting against.

>tanks
>JGSDF unifrom
sauce on this video please

Attached: stug life.webm (480x256, 875K)

Is that JGSF? I think it may be Australian and at their Armor and Artillery museum, they have a few Panzer IVs which is what the cupola and turret skirts look like.
Moran did filming there in the past but episodes are slow to come out.

Even then, I'd take Matt Easton for medieval weaponry or Shad for medieval architecture or Metatron for medieval/classic dress and personal arms.

(Crosswalks? Has CAPTCHA been listening to Abbey Road?)

Except that he appears to have converted to the pro-Sherman position over time as he dug into the US Army archives.

Looks like sootch... Probably 2/10 bad faith shill...