How bad is it?

How bad is it?

Attached: 9781846144080.jpg (325x500, 19K)

Pants on head retarded safety lever, pants on backwards retarded charging handle. Inefficient magwell. Otherwise fun, especially with that Balkan wood aesthetic, and very iconic. Overall I'd recommend getting one just to have it, plus mag collecting is kinda fun. Just understand that it's designed for use by conscripts, mud farmers, goat fuckers, ect.

>Pants on head retarded safety lever
It doubles as a dust cover, and it has the advantage of being visible from a few feet away.
>the pants on backwards retarded charging handle
Literally just turn the gun to the left and palm it.
>Inefficient magwell
You don't have to worry about mags not seating.

He's probably and /arg/ shill and is probably noguns anyway. Just ignore him.

To be fair, the AK market sucks in the US now. It's almost not worth buying one unless you really are collecting. I think they're more fun than ARs, but if I was a nogunz looking for my first, I would definitely go for an AR at this point.

>To be fair, the AK market sucks in the US now.
That's an understatement. The AK market in the US is more like a con job.

Meh, it's easy if you just go by the one rule to only buy Russian or Chinese.

Arsenal's quality has been in steady decline and all the Chinese are second-hand.

Which you have to find used, and for more than they cost new.

Yeah, kinda this, glad I got my wasr and sa m7 when I did
Fuck I dont even know what's out there any more for ak's. I just scrolled thru Atlantic and other than a draco I wouldnt buy shit

>Literally just turn the gun to the left and palm it.
>Turning the gun and not reaching under with your left hand and charging a round while never dropping a bead on your target

You gotta learn to Ivan, my comrade.

>muh /arg/ boogeyman
I own and like both AR/AK, nigger, just giving my honest feedback. It's not a gun for everyone, sorry that hurts your feelings. You must be an underfolder owner.

Tbh as a lefty I fucking love it. I can reload it twice in the time it takes me to reload my AR without ambi mods.

Well maybe not THAT fast, but it's at least 30% faster.

Not him but I own too many aks. My underfolders probably get the most love. What's with you pussys?

There are still new Veprs floating around since so many orders were placed for them before the sanctions went into effect. My only gripe about them is that they are laughably heavy. The lower-end Chinese AKs like MAK-90s are still pretty affordable from Gunbroker thanks to fudds hoarding them and not shooting them for 30 years.

I have nothing against underfolders, the owners just tend to be retarded

The book was pretty good, if that's your question Jow Forumsomrade. Not really "buy me" quality IMO, but worth ordering from the library.

If all we have left to pick from that can be considered "high quality" are the dregs of a sporting variant and second-hand Chinese from the 1990s, then I'd consider the AK market in a fucking dismal state.

>it's easy if you just go by the one rule to only buy Russian or Chinese
Except that's wrong. The rule is pretty much anything but US. I'd rather have a butchered Maadi than a Century home grown rifle.

That's why I think it's a dumb design, watching right handed people do these odd reloads for it is comical, tilting, reaching under and shit

To be autistically nit-picky, VEPRs are actually RPKs, hence their weight and are not "AKs" in the sense that say, a MAK90 is.

It's sad that the WASR was considered the lowest of the low on the AK market maybe five years ago at most. The funny thing about that is that it was all due to people bitching about little cosmetic defects like canted front sight posts or slight magazine wobble. I have a Vepr with a canted front sight, for what it's worth. It was never exclusive to WASRs.

>Fuck I dont even know what's out there any more for ak's.
Romanians are still pumping out reliably solid stuff, but the price just keeps creeping up.

Arsenals seem to be continuously decreasing in availability and I've been seeing an increase in QC errors.

There's a few literallywho companies that are making kit-builds but these are just like they've always been; questionable quality and warranties that are guaranteed to fuck off and die when the company that made them just ups and vanishes one day before the next year is out.

The Americans AKs are still dogshit.

In short; picrelated

Attached: 308.jpg (410x304, 23K)

Even Polish rifles have cast carriers and trunnions now. The Zastavas can also be hit or miss. At least with most Russian and Chinese rifles you know you're getting something made to spec that wasn't fucked up by some fly-by-night importer or kit builder.

ITT: reasons to buy an AR

The controls were never designed to be operated with your off (left) hand. Kalashnikov designed the controls to be used by the conscripts strong hand (since most people are right handed) in the siberian winter. There were no such things as tactical reloads or keeping the rifle on target while reloading back in the 40's.

Attached: jcuJ2Df.gif (300x225, 683K)

Yeah, you have to get your hands a little dirty to acquire a good AK for the collection these days. They're still cheaper than something like and AUG or a SCAR, but if you're just trying to buy a rifle for practical purposes, there's no reason to buy anything but an AR now. When WASRs were like $300 and Saigas were $400, AKs were still a viable alternative.

Worst thing about them is the outdated and backward ergos. But they're still good enough.

>Not really "buy me" quality IMO, but worth ordering from the library.
What other books would you recommend other than the Kalashnikov Encyclopedia?

If you consider the time it was made and the manual of arms then, it makes perfect sense. It's just that it didn't adapt quite as nicely to newer manuals of arms (keeping it shouldered with the grip in hand while running the gun with the support hand).

That's an unfortunate relic of an older paradigm of weapons operation (bolt guns with the bolt on the side away from the shooter's support hand because bolt guns were run with the firing hand).

If I get ambi mods on my AR though I'll run circles around the AK in time, though. Out of the box the AK is by far the better weapon ergonomically for a lefty. But with mods the AR rises back to the top.

The book? Pretty fucking disjointed and Chivers has an absolute hardon for the
>Schmeisser secretly designed the AK, Kalashnikov was just a propaganda job
meme. It's kinda faggy that I buy a book to read about the AK and like a third of it is dedicated to the buttfuck circus that was the M14/M16 procurement debacle.
Everytime I need a laugh I just think about the present-day AK scene in the US. You always think it can't get any further into the hole, but, lo and behold,it keeps on producing shovels of increasing girth and starts digging. I don't think anyone in 2011 could say it would get this bad.
>it's not bad ergonomics, it's a feature!
You two are really, really gay.

Attached: WP_20171118_003[3].jpg (3072x1728, 2.09M)

Yeah, which is why the VEPR carbines are kind of silly, even if they're made well. I own one in 5.56, but it is just so much heavier than an AR or standard AK that it's not practical for a civilian shooter/hunter at all. Not saying all guns have to be completely practical, but it's about as useful as a semi-auto beltfed. I guess you can have fun magdumping due to the thicc barrel.

Never owned a WASR but know many that do and TBF it does appear that they've REALLY improved their QC lately

However, the new wood furniture is vile

WASRs have been GTG for literally over a decade now, since the introduction of the 10/63 which brought nifty shit like CNC magwell cuts. In fact, they've been very solid for more years than they haven't at this point, but those ancient pre-2007 memes have an uncanny shelf life.

>Schmeisser secretly designed the AK, Kalashnikov was just a propaganda job
This meme is dumb because Kalashnikov started working on his submachine gun to replace Shpagin's before the war even ended. He even admits in his memoir that his design was largely copied from Garand's.
>You two are really, really gay.
We just don't get hung up on trying to be high-speed low-drag on a rifle designed 71 years ago.

>someone points out a rifle designed 71 years ago has bad ergos
>hurr, they must be a high speed LARPer

It was designed at a time when bolt actions were still the predominant military rifle. By those standards, it really didn't have bad ergos.

Th ergos aren't bad. As someone else said, it was designed to be operated entirely with the right hand. It's no worse than the MP5, except American shooters are already accustomed to using their left hands to operate the charging handle and bolt release the AR-15.

>American shooters are already accustomed to using their left hands to operate the charging handle and bolt release the AR-15.
And let's be honest, the AR charging handle isn't really the most ergonomic design either.

The ergos are fucking terrible, especially for righties. As pointed out multiple times here, lefties find it easier to run.
>as bad as the MP5
Confirmed you've never ran an MP5

>Confirmed you've never ran an MP5
Well, no one "runs" an MP5. They shoot them oper8n' m8

Any service rifle that isn't an AR is obsolete and unnecessary.

And the original was even worse. Newer AKs have also gone through design evolutions, but people only think about what we have available to us on the consumer market.
Try charging an MP5 with your right hand.

Attached: jerryar1403.jpg (600x441, 64K)

yeah, but AKs are also crazy fun, so it sucks that the market is slowly reaching a point where $750-800 is becoming the standard, unless you want to take the PSA sale gamble.

I wanna get a rifle but I don't know if I should get an ar or an ak, what do Jow Forums? I've read the guide on the ak thread and I'm confused as to how to tell if an AK is good or not.

Are PSA AKs any good? Used them for AR parts and have been pretty satisfied so far

Attached: 6B32CAA7-A5E2-45CD-A60F-46C271E518FB.jpg (750x1227, 191K)

I had a nightmare this morning that my AK was just absolutely shitfucked. Receiver was bent, mags wouldnt fit, covered in rust, wouldnt cycle a round, handguards gone, etc. I woke up and ran to my safe to see it was perfectly fine. anyone else have dreams like this?

Attached: 1532674524962.png (528x315, 52K)

What's your budget? Really, an AR is the best starter gun, but an AK should probably hold second place if you are going to start buying rifles.

Idk like $900. Going to sell my first rifle and buy an ak. (I know, I know...)

American Rifle was actually pretty good.

Derp. Sorry, forgot cover image.

It was obviously pretty focused on American service rifles, so it wasn't really that broad, but it did a good job at explaining the transitions between them etc.

Attached: 4532592.jpg (310x450, 36K)

The Polish never built an AK with cast trunnions. Idk where that myth came from. Watch mishacos video on it.

They had some problems with the first gens but fixed it and are actually one of the few solid american AKs on the market now.

What's your first rifle? If you are dead set on an AK, I would say spend part of that $900 on a WASR when they go on sale, and then spend the rest on stuff like a muzzle brake, RS Regulate mount, optic, magazines, and ammo.

Pioneer Arms makes cast parts. You have to watch out for their shit when you buy Polish rifles or kit built "Polish" rifles. They are located in the town of Radom, which is also where the famous FB Radom plant is based, so that adds to the confusion.

an sks i bought less than a year ago, im scared of slam fires, I cleaned everything but couldn't get the bolt open and my lgs wouldn't help and told me i don't need to open it but i had a slamfire and don't want it anymore

>I would say spend part of that $900 on a WASR when they go on sale
i saw a wasr at my lgs for $800 the other day, should i have bought it?

also I asked a question in the ak thread but will repost it since you seem smart and helpful

>Can someone tell me how to figure out if an ak is good at my lgs? I don't know the terminology such as canted sights, I don't know what normal rails look like, etc.
>The only thing I saw that i recognized was a wasr for like $800

>I saw an underfolder I liked and really wanted but it was inter ordinance and theres nothing about it on the guide so I wasn't sure what to do, thank you.

different user here, but ill try to answer your questions.
>i saw a wasr at my lgs for $800 the other day, should i have bought it?
$800 for a WASR now a days is not too bad, but can be had for less if you look harder. (buds has WASR 10s for around 700 right now)

>Can someone tell me how to figure out if an ak is good at my lgs? I don't know the terminology such as canted sights, I don't know what normal rails look like, etc.

I think there is a sticky on how to check out an AK on the /akg/. but for quality control, ask the lgs if you can look down the barrel. bring a borelight and check the rifling in the barrel. check for rust, other basics while you do this. checking canted sights at the lgs would be harder unless its a very obvious cant and can more or less only be seen and corrected at the range.

>I saw an underfolder I liked and really wanted
underfolders are cool looking but generally not as fun to shoot. I suggest shooting one yourself before buying one. I bought a yugo underfolder as my first AK and still enjoy shooting it, but some people dont like them. try it first.
>Inter ordinance
run. run far away and dont look back.

The AK market in America is dead. It's a collector's game now that the AR can be bought for less than an AK, and .300 BLK is becoming cheaper every day to fill the x39 gap.

>i saw a wasr at my lgs for $800 the other day, should i have bought it?
No, they are much cheaper online. Try to find a gun store of FFL that does cheap transfers and won't act like a bunch of salty assholes when you undercut them. The most I've ever paid for an FFL transfer from buying a gun online is $40, plus the $10 BGC. WASRs are under $700 at Classic Firearms right now, and that's not even on "sale." I'm not sure if they will go cheaper than that any time soon, because the whole import situation has been kind of up in the air, but I wouldn't pay $800 for one unless they were throwing in extras like some magazines.

Just look up "WASR canted sights" on Google, and you'll be able to tell what it means. Some AKs come with the front sight post drifted over to one side. It's mostly a cosmetic thing if the sights are actually zeroed to the rifle. It can be fixed with an AK front sight tool, which is used to adjust windage (left or right sight alignment).

And what do you mean by "normal rails?" When we talk about "side rail mounts" on AKs, that's talking about a rail on the left side of the receiver which is used to mount optics (see the pic).

Stay faaar away from anything made by Inter Ordinance, aka I.O. Inc. They occasionally import some stuff that is good, but they haven't done that in a few years. Any new rifle you find at a local gun store with their name on it is junk. Also, the WASR is imported by Century Arms, but Century Arms also makes some AKs with US parts. These are called RAS47 and C39V2. Don't buy those either.

Like I said, I think it's best if you just buy a WASR for cheap online, and ship it to an FFL. Some gun stores can be staffed by assholes who will try to take advantage of customers who don't know the products that well, so they'll inflate prices, or try to say that crappy guns with known problems are just as good as desirable guns with lower profit margins. A WASR marked up to $800 is too much.

Attached: side-rail.jpg (1200x756, 654K)

Man, this board used to be slavshit general. Is this what being an oldfag feels like?
Things must be real bad if even Jow Forums can't recommend buying an AK anymore.

Man I was here when MAK90's were still regarded as better than WASR's. Talk about a kick in the head

slavshit surplus has been dead for years and the entire AK industry worries me to my core.

Attached: 1517360792237.png (1063x1305, 1.9M)

Nope I've got 2 saigas and 3 ARs. You must be a wasr fag. Doesnt hurt my feelings one bit that you're a retard. My life goes on ahahahhahaha

Sadly, Slavshit isn't even afforable anymore save for the surplus Makarovs and a few other handguns. Nuggets aren't really worth buying anymore unless you're into WWII stuff. 7n6 and Russian AKs are gone too. I'm also an oldfag who prefers manhandling an AK to using an appliance like an AR, but I guess we have to adapt.

I mean, they still are, but you're going to pay a premium for them.

>Thinks he some kind of .001% operator where reload speed matters
Gid I hate you dorks