Removing Krylon from an AR

Hey Jow Forums. I recently tried spray painting my AR and 2/3 of it came out great but the upper got all fucked up. I need to get the paint off the upper so I can redo it. It's already about half scraped/sanded/brushed off with a metal brush.

Will brake cleaner do anything to remove the rest? I have a can of Mechanics brand non-chlorinated and want to know if it'll remove the paint without fucking up the anodize underneath. If you don't know, feel free to just call me a retard. Thanks.

Attached: 20180905_164311.jpg (3492x4656, 3.24M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ar15.com/forums/armory/For_those_afraid_to_paint_their_weapons____EASY_PAINT_STRIPPING/19-319743/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

0/3s of that came out great

What the actual fuck user...

Why would you even attempt this? I'm always amazed at how bad and incompetent 99% of people are at spray painting.

At least the application on the handguard and lower are smooth. Upper got all fucked up because I tried using a different colour first and the can was defective or something.

The upper was done with a different can that turned out to be defective, but I'm a spraypainting noob and kept trying anyway. It came out thick, inconsistent, and the can was dripping the whole time. I tried wiping it off and redoing it with the can of brown paint I know worked but that didn't cover up the shitty first application and made it super thick. Hence me scraping that shit off.

As for why, because it's a $330 AR and I wanted to try it out.

Use Citristrip

>That color
Just throw the whole rifle in the trash

You probably didn't shake the can long enough or had a bad nozzle. You have to remember the can has been sitting and the paint settles and separates inside the can. It needs to be mixed up well. The can says to shake vigourously for at least 2 minutes, and that means do it for at least 2 fucking minutes. I see so many idiots give the can like 3 shakes, then start spraying a thick ass coat that drips on the first pass.

Shake the can hard for several minutes
Do very thin coats and do multiple coats. You shouldn't even totally coat what ever you are painting until maybe your 3rd coat. The first 2 coats should still have areas that look thin and you can still see the base color showing through.
Also always do a test spray on a piece of cardboard to make sure your nozzle isn't gunked up before every coat. And after each coat hold the can upside down for a moment and spray into open air unitil paint stops comming out and only propellant is blasting the nozzle clean. This will make sure paint doesn't dry in the nozzle and fuck up the nozzle for the next time you use it.

You also need to clean whatever you are painting very well. Any oils will fuck up your paint bonding to the surface. Guns are covered in oils. You should totally clean thw outside of the gun with a solvent very thoroughly. Any oil residue will fuck up the paint bonding.

+1 for this.Shits cash.

I read the instructions shook both cans for about three minutes each. Worth mentioning is these cans were bought from a hardware store for $1 each during some 70% off sale where they cleared out old stock. I'm not usually one to blame my tools for my shitty work but I'm sure I got a bad can.

That said, yeah, I should have tested the can more thoroughly before spraying it on my rifle. I only gave it a couple puffs against some cardboard to see the colour. It's 100% my bad for continuing on as I did.

Thanks, but will brake cleaner do anything? I asked about that specifically because it's what I have on hand. If this will work I'd rather not order anything else.

Yeah it will evaporate after you spray it on the paint.

Thanks user. And it won't fuck up the anodize underneath?

No, it won't touch either the anodizing nor paint. If you spray the brake cleaner, it will just evaporate from your AR and leave it as is.

Anodizing isn’t merely a coating, it’s a chemically altered top layer of oxide that’s physically part of but different to the metal below. Brake cleaner should have no effect on anodizing.

Anodizing is literally penetrated into the oxide layer of the aluminum. It isn't a coating. It is fused into the metal itself. You are seeing the surface layer of the metal when you look at anodizing.
Kind of similar to how nitrided steel is a treatment that penetrates into the steel compared to chrome which is a surface layer bonded to the top like a layer of metal paint.

Anodizing isn't something that you can wipe away.

Oh alright, I misunderstood. Citristrip it is I guess.

user, you’re going to want to go to the hardware store. Buy a bucket and a gallon of paint thinner. Strip your upper completely of unpainted and or plastic parts. Remove the barrel and buffer tube too if you like (please don’t tell me you own an AR without to the tools for a full disassembly).

Fill the bucket with paint thinner. Then take the upper receiver and put it in the bucket. Let sit for a few hours. Use a toothbrush to remove paint. It should just melt right off.

>(please don’t tell me you own an AR without to the tools for a full disassembly)
He owns a bottom tier cheap AR. He buys $1 clearance old stock spraypaint. The vice, reaction rod, punches, and armorer's wrench are going to cost more than his AR.

I would argue that most AR owners can't work on their AR beyond removing the bcg and buffer spring. Just like how I pass people on the side of the road on my commute all the time getting AAA road assistance for a flat tire.

Brake cleaner can work but youd have to ise the whole can it and scrub like crazy. Not to mention the fumes will be bad, even outdoors. Wear gloves.
I highly reccomend going to walmart and buying kleenstrip. Its a harsh chemical (be careful on plastic) but works fast. Citristip is much milder, so much in fact you can use it indoors, but much weaker/slower at removing paint.

media blasting if you know someone with a machine.

Why would you use paint thinner when you can use a paint stripper?

>doing arts on crafts on killing machines

Unless youre a Selous Scout in a bushwar -- can you fucking NOT

Attached: 60DFCEFD-BF3F-4ED4-8CCF-66A799C226F0.jpg (500x500, 59K)

DOT 3 brake fluid is a pretty good stripper. Go grab a couple bottles and an drain pan and just let it sit, should loosen it right up.

Should have gotten more headshots before trying to apply that color.

you sure you should own a gun if you don't even know how to remove paint from metal?

Either/or would work.

Kill it with fire

Didn't know gore threads were allowed on k.

Have stripped krylon...

Use the brake cleaner and a nylon brush

You can get paint stripper gel that doesn't make a huge mess or require a bucket

what the fuck kind of color scheme were you going for here
i want to vomit

>wow takes balls, kid
He's obviously going for the Boba Fett color scheme, fudds

Attached: Boba-Fett.jpg (1365x768, 151K)

Ive actually painted and stripped a lot of AR15s and scopes.

You want a product called Kleen Strip, they sell it in a rattle can.

See link
ar15.com/forums/armory/For_those_afraid_to_paint_their_weapons____EASY_PAINT_STRIPPING/19-319743/

Attached: 828488D9-5802-4956-BD2D-92E15469AF12.jpg (800x800, 50K)

Seriously spray camoing is not hard user wtf. Base layer and so on, next time practice on a piece of paper or cardboard.
>PSA
This make it somewhat more entertaining to look. Let it be a lesson to you.

Attached: main-qimg-6ac3a9106edb637e46f5068779c757b3-c.jpg (602x400, 46K)