What are some ways to reinvent the gun? Most guns out there work almost exactly the same as any other gun...

What are some ways to reinvent the gun? Most guns out there work almost exactly the same as any other gun. Is it really just because that's the best way or is it a terminal case of grandfathering? I mean if it ain't broke, don't fix it but still. Slides on the top to pull back, bullets in the handle, barrel above the fist, it's all the same. What are some things that could change to better the gun?

Attached: 411553986_2.jpg (500x500, 17K)

From the mid 1800s all the way until fairly shortly after WWII, gunsmiths/inventors tried almost everything possible under the sun.
Odds are that whatever magical concept you can come up with is really a throwback to an obscure system that really went nowhere EXACTLY because it is ultimately not as good as other systems.
There are very few guns working on principles not currently being readily available on the market on way or another that I'd like to be seen resuscitated. The LeFaucheux over-under 12ga shotgun with pivoting breech-blocks is one such gun; still an exception to the rule. It's still less efficient than a break-action.

All modern 'innovations' are either old stuff bubbling back to the surface or shifts in ergonomy. There are the oddballs out there who try to push shit like the Bulletstorm(tm) unto the military market only to see all their money burn to nothing and go broke. For very good reasons too.

Attached: side-loading-over-under-shotgun-lefaucheux-660x364[1].jpg (660x364, 47K)

Gun advancements will be predicated on material science mainly. Sure, optics will improve over time separately, but the mechanical workings will more so change with things like better ways to construct caseless ammo, reducing weight while increasing strength, etc. The mechanics are fairly well understood on how to sling a lead freedom seed at 1000-3000 fps.

Though, I love the rhino barrel being so low to reduce muzzle flip.

Attached: 1536094390114m.jpg (1024x817, 152K)

I actually am working on a "caseless" design that works kind if like a 2-stroke engine.

Really thick barrels and plastic explosives

I'm very aware of every attempt.

Attached: IMG_0017-copy1.jpg (2805x1086, 650K)

Your potato cannon doesn't really count user.

Those pig-hunting southerners don't understand long-range hunting and tracking. Texans especially become annoying when discussing hunting. They talk about using four-wheelers and trailers constantly. What the fuck?

Lot of it comes down to hand shape and ergonomics to how a gun will be held and unlike previous centuries you can plot all sorts of stuff into computers to see how much recoil is transferred, torque angles and other random shit. I'm mostly with
>material science
being the real bleeding edge of future firearms developments. Just like any other industry the cost, engineering principles, application and construction tend to keep some stuff from being widely adopted. Some good, lightweight and high strength materials just don't tend to lend themselves to mass production because it's just not really financially viable. Like making a gun out of titanium with bits of tungsten alloys and advanced composites, just wont sell because it'll cost $5000 when the market will only bear 10-20% of that for most people.
At some point if the demand is there and fabrication costs come down enough, you'll eventually start seeing a bit more fancy stuff out there weighing less, better shooting with extraordinary reliability.

Reliability, particularly with military development is also a crucial sales point. But that takes time to knock out all the bugs and gremlins which pop up, we used to complain a lot about using shit that grandad was dragging around, but as much as it sucks sometimes- it works and that's a bit more important that cool when shit gets real.

>Odds are that whatever magical concept you can come up with is really a throwback to an obscure system that really went nowhere EXACTLY because it is ultimately not as good as other systems.
Or because, then as now, branding and marketing will always win out over good ideas.

The designs that get picked up by governments are made by the tens of thousands, whole generations of men are trained and familiar with them, and the ammunition, factory tooling, and follow-the-leader effect all exert a strong pull towards the perpetuation of those familiar design--which probably weren't chosen for being the best at anything, but rather some combination of compatibility and economics.

>"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson
t. spengie

In general? Bad systems die, good system stays. While there were fuckups with fate along the way, most of what passed military muster was the most 'fit' option. Manufacturing and cost factors into it too, as it should.
Sure, it's not perfect 'progress' but it can't be that far from 'optimal.'

Same as cars, the next improvement is getting rid of chemical combustion and using more efficient methods to propel things. We're not there yet with handguns.

Attached: image[1].jpg (1440x810, 162K)

In general every single time we have a major innovation someone digs up a gun from a hundred years ago with the same mechanism which was ignored and forgotten for no good reason.

Sorta like how all the elements for modern firearms existed and were feasible for like a thousand years before they happened.

>posting in Jow Forums while believing militaries ever do anything logically or efficiently

That's not what I said you reddit-spacing sperg, and you know it.
Everything else is the self-evident sort of thoughts that go nowhere. Yesterday's failure can be tomorrow's success story. That doesn't mean that the effective selection pressure has changed, only that the environment has. Material sciences are still going forward even now, so no you could not have made, say, and AKM in 1750 for any reasonable set amount of money. Fuck, there weren't even an effective micrometer back then available to get ANY sort of industrial reciprocity going!

Get fucking stuffed you absolute moron.

>reddit-spacing
stopped reading there you tribalist newfag

Attached: redditspacing1537422271477.png (1010x1272, 143K)

>Odds are that whatever magical concept you can come up with is really a throwback to an obscure system that really went nowhere EXACTLY because it is ultimately not as good as other systems.
There might be some stuff that failed because materials back in the day, but could be feasible today.

You Gen Z fuckers have some seriously dramatic posts.

put bling on them yo!

Calm down, Sally.

Attached: giphy (6).gif (700x394, 3.87M)

Leave.

>All of this pistol specific complaints
Yes it's the best way, and if you took one second to think about it you will know why.

Hunters in the south have to use four-wheelers and big trucks because they're too fat to move themselves.
Whenever I'm driving down the road and see an F-550 pulling a trailer of 4 four-wheelers, I know the driver hasn't seen his feet in years.

>Reddit spacing REEEE

Goddamn I love when people cry reddit spacing. Literally the fastest way newfags out themselves. Complaining about reddit spacing is the best thing to happen to Jow Forums in years.

Attached: 1503861151824.jpg (640x640, 63K)

>What are some things that could change to better the gun?
Which gun?

Gun tech @ the moment is being restricted by materials science. When that gets more advanced I imagine that we might see new designs. However, @ the moment, I imagine that pretty much any novel idea has already been tried. For some good examples you can have a look @ some of the vids made by Forgotten Weapons (EG the Guycot 40-Shot Chain Pistol). @ the moment it seems to me that the current methods of gun design are the best way. That said 1 improvement that I can think of would be the use of slicker materials for feed lips so as to reduce the risk of failure to load.

Attached: Guycot_40-Shot_Chain_Pistol.jpg (630x339, 24K)

dumb @poster

More like lazy.

Lazy? More like retarded. It takes only two successive keypresses to write "at", whereas "@" takes three or two simultaneous keypresses.

Attached: HURRRRR DURRRRRR.jpg (624x352, 25K)

2 simultaneous key presses w/ keys that are next to each other takes slightly less time for me than 2 successive key presses slightly apart.

It's disgusting. I live in Iowa, my brother lives in Texas. They justified shooting a raccoon because they thought it was a bobcat because they were using spotlights at night on the meager public land out there. Could've been anything, but they thought it was a bobcat so completely justified. They also left it overnight to find it in the morning.

That's not even remotely true. But even if it were, are you sincerely arguing that in defense of writing that makes you look like a moron? You must be 18 to post here, so at least attempt to avoid typing like a teenager.

Some people have different keyboard layouts & typing styles to others. I don't go on Jow Forums to show off. I'm 30 y/o. I'm not going to put a significant amount of care into how I type just to avoid being banned from Jow Forums, a site which I don't care tremendously about.

tw@s

>Superior Magazine solution
>Only done there and never again
>The patent has long expired
>Nobody is jumping on the bandwagon

Why are we not worthy Jow Forums?

Attached: 1532721225780.jpg (562x401, 39K)

I'm going to suggest a return to musket balls. That will allow the barrel to be round. I'll make a 20" barrel, twist into a spiral, and have the magazine also be a barrel that feeds into a bolt at the bottom. It will be the Dr Seuss of concealed SMGs and it will sound like a kazoo with a cyclic rate of 1200.

>tfw no 147 JHP with 89" of penetration at 6,000 fps and people start arguing that its insufficient because 180gr jhp penetrates to 93"

>inches
>random body part per second
When the technology exists, we won't have arguments in those archaic units.

Thats what Jimmy Carter said in the 70s, and the French with Metric time

You know burgeristan has been SI-based for years already, right? Your imperial units are derived from standard SI units. What the fuck even is "metric time"? 24-hour clock? Your military has used that for ages. Not to mention scientific communities and tech companies have abandoned imperial shit a long time ago, only some dumb commoners still use them in daily life.

Regarding Carter, he didn't have globalization and the internet. Meme magic is what will finally destroy the remaining holdouts of imperial units, even if your education system lags behind.

clever and zesty