I can think of one already that would give anyone superhuman endurance...

I can think of one already that would give anyone superhuman endurance. Theres a single man with a single mutation that prevents lactic acid from building up in his tissues. He can run for days, literally, and never seize up. Theres a gene mutation that increases bone density by well over 50%, greatly enhancing resistance to fractures. Muscle can be tuned so that a man is always fairly muscular. The brain can be modified so that the myelin sheaths are further enhanced to speed up transmissions. The necessity of sleep can be nearly eliminated.
Why do we not make our soldiers superhumans?

Attached: the average soldier.jpg (1024x661, 170K)

This isnt 40K, killer.

In other words you're a fucking Nazi

Yet.

cringe and bluepilled

Cost, risk, and infancy of the tech. Maybe in a hundred years. Until then all the procedures necessary to alter a person after they reach maturity are untested and downright dangerous.

How about engineer them BLACK for the natural camouflage, heat loss and intimidation factor

Didn't they do that in 40k?

>-40 Intelligence
Nah.

The Black Carapace is a subdermal implant, so the aspirant's skin colour remains unaffected. Of the First Founding Chapters/Legions only Salamanders are black skinned, and unnaturally black at that (think reverse albinism).

That won’t stop us
It never has

Gene and nano tech isn’t really that advanced yet, maybe in 1-2 centuries some black project shit would happen involving that, hell maybe even a little earlier, but sure as fuck not now. Until then bet on exoskeletons.

>lactic acid buildup
Lactic acid is a literal biproduct, and believe it or not it actually makes it more efficient to transfer oxygen. Not going to bother you with Bohr effect science, but

>more acidic blood = greater oxygen transfer from oxygenated hemoglobin to tissues

There obviously is a limit to this, but it actually can help for a while to have some acidity to your blood.

Oh and
>necessity of sleep can be eliminated
That's fine, except sleep is vital for many neurological benefits. Fucking with a cycle that literally every higher animal on the planet does is probably at best hazardous since we haven't even figured out what exactly sleep DOES other than give us a bunch of physiological benefits. Why do you get tired? How? Why is it that you can stay up theoretically for a week or more at a time, see severe performance and health drops, then sleep 12 hours and be fine despite having some 4 literal days of sleep-debt? Why is it that your immune system tanks? What benefit do dreams have? Are they just debug-modes for your brain? Memory processing in random order to sort things? Even animals dream, but WHY? These are all unknowns, and probably not worth messing with until we know exactly how it all comes together.

A few strange cases are not indicative that it will magically work for everyone everywhere, and gene insertion is an INCREDIBLY volatile technology. It isn't exactly a net gain to try to "insert a gene" only to get a bunch of people with cancer because someone chose retroviral insertion just because it's a bit cheaper and better understood than lentiviral insertion.

All this genetic modification is doing is making human troops more expensive than they already are, except now you're making them Fighter Pilot tier expensive. For that price you could afford plenty of autonomous drones that would be far more disposable, don't need retirement pensions when they leave, won't chimp out and become superhuman criminals and super hobos, and don't need a VA hospital to deal with whatever weird mutant problems they get from a fucked up super human project.

That's a good point. If you turn men into killing machines, then you can't ever discharge them. So what you would essentially create is an underclass of genetically modified jannisaries who are only fit for military service. Eventually they would rebel.

>engineer them BLACK for the natural camouflage
Why stop there? Give them mottled multitoned skin to break up their profile naturally.

Attached: 7e_seaQuest_DSV_2032_2_2.jpg (400x300, 75K)

how about making their sweat smell less too?

Quantum man is already being produced in CHINA.

Sawed off slant eyed cat eating shit bags? Cool story

Attached: chink.png (1073x386, 338K)

How about we engineer blacks to get jobs instead.

Even science has its limits, user.

>what is the automation paradox

IOW, the more humans you replace, the more complexity the remainder have to deal with. Human troops will become fighter pilot tier expensive *because* most of them will get replaced by drones.

I'd say that having 10,000 fighter-pilot expensive people + drones >> having a literal infantry of 250,000 fighter-pilot expensive people

I am willing to bet a significant number of them are going to get very sick in the long run, as it is retroviral insertion has a very high chance of upregulating oncogenes (aka, it has a high chance of increasing expression of genes that lead up to giving you cancer, leukemia in particular is a common one).

>SeaQuest
muh melanin brother

How bout you use all that fuckin science to stop giving them 40k pounds of shit to haul around. Wouldn't need every soldier to be fucking superman if you could limit yourself to a modest 60lbs of shit.

Oy vey

Attached: 1538566106827.jpg (1200x778, 135K)

The quality of humanity will improve as the technology of human genome modification improves. The next couple of generations of man maybe one day become alien to us as they are modified into superiority.

Attached: 395.png (1024x475, 323K)

user if you lower the weight, they'll just add more shit until they are putting backpack pouches around their arm and legs

>enhanced by AI
If AI are smarter why aren't the AI running the show to begin with

lmao maybe I want super hobos. Think of the hobo fights user

user if you want super hobo fights nothing is stopping you from giving them stuff tainted with PCP and amphetamines. or making them fight FOR the PCP and amphetamines

it's not the same. Hobo fights can be over in a matter of minutes. I want genetically modified super hobos with the durability and endurance to fight for hours

>he hasn't read hugo de garis

Because cyborgs aren't transhumanists, they're desperate traditionalists fighting the AI transhumanists unleashed.

If you look at the US army futures studies on automation, adding fully automated everything to a combat brigade only reduces the humans by half.

The place human upgrades will be going aren't mechanics or commanders, but close combat forces - infantry - because that's the last place without muh overmatch and where 90% of casualties come from. And before them, it will be SF...who already have unofficial permission to use steroids, HGH etc (not so much for bulking, but for recovery speed at ages 30+).

I don't think you quite understand. There is a few people that can function normally they just don't need sleep. There have been a few news articles posted and scientists have been studying some of these people and narrowed it down to a specific type of gene. Quite honestly gene modification sounds amazing and probably the best technology that will ever happen if it isn't abused. Especially for soldier kind of work, I'd volunteer for that sort of thing even if there were potential side effects. This sort of thing has the potential to simply just make everyone healthier and their lifes better by being healthier alone let alone being more functional. It's an open secret that most modern athletes are on performance enhancing drugs. Enhancing someone permanently without needing drugs would be a miracle.

It's basically the opposite of eugenics. Instead of only wanting people with a particular trait, you can give them a trait they couldn't have otherwise acquired.
If you look at people men and women have sexual demorphism, a lot of creatures have dimorphism and it's natural to their types of jobs, rather than have people with a particular trait being forced into a kind of job like say an insect society wanting infertile female drones, you could have traits added to do another type of job instead of just killing off people with undesirable traits or only rewarding ones that do have them with jobs.
Besides say if you had poor eyesight, instead of getting laser surgery or wearing contacts you could just have a gene that makes your vision better or see better in the dark wouldn't you be interested in that? It could cure people that have blindness.

I'm not against transhumanism or genetic modification, I really am not, and I don't mind eating wheat that's drought resistant anymore than the next person should. However I've read a lot of literature in the course of my bio grad work and I'm of the opinion that:
A- the general public is extremely overestimating the actual ability to modify genes and get a desired result
B- the general public would probably not be happy about HOW it's actually done (ie., often it comes down to a tamed HIV being told to insert a gene and hoping it actually does it correctly [sometimes it doesn't])
C- the general public tends to ignore the 10 dead mice with leukemia in the corner in favor of the 20 mice that turned out okay.

It's less of a "it's bad because muh humanity", it's more of a "we aren't even sure how this Wright brothers plane is flying at the modeling level beyond something to do with lift, lets wait a bit before we try jumping the sound barrier or crossing the atlantic". And again, the side effects aren't minor. I keep mentioning cancer, because it's pretty common in that line of work. From any institution trying to keep costs low, cancer is kinda the opposite of low cost. Even the long term cancer treatment for 1 soldier probably costs 1-2 normal soldiers' training and gear, so it's not exactly sustainable until we get a lot of... kinks.... ironed out. Unfortunately, this is all made worse when you consider that one gene often does multiple roles, whether that region of the DNA is being used to regulate another region, is expressed as a protein, or, as often the case, does... nothing apparently, only to pop on later. It's frustrating and slow, sadly, and I'm not sure it will be as available in the next 10-15 years as people say it will. After all, they said that about a lot of tech that never panned out. But I'm a pessimist that way. Maybe 20-30.

>The necessity of sleep can be nearly eliminated.
Wasn't this an X Files episode back in the day?

Couldn't this mean a supervirus that only targets the left?

>already have to pay a shit ton of money for gear
>now you're expected to pay for your personally grown soldiers instead of letting them grow naturally in trailer parks

A: Most people probably think it's complete science fiction and not viable
B. There is more than one way to skin a cat, and it's been a few years since I read about that method, sure people will be resistant to it because that method sounds like an
vaccination. The thing is if it gets to a point where it works at a high enough % most people simply don't care how it works, just that it does.
C. You could have 29 dead mice and 1 live one, it proves that it's possible. I think you're severely over estimating just how precious most people find their own life to be. Even if you get rid of the concept of socio-economic mobility, which is typically quite limited. Life is just a series of risks which end in death 100% of the time anyway. Taking a risk to improve your life is something a lot of people would find appealing.

I see your point about cancer, the thing is if it's refined to the point where it works more often than not the health costs from the treatment long term in the successes would be lowered overall that you're saving more money treating cancer than treating cancer and a bunch of other health problems. Not to mention increased productivity from it doesn't factor in the amount of potential lost productivity from just run of the mill stuff that wouldn't be as common.
While I agree a conservative time line is probably more realistic the thing is that's mostly because people want to recoup the research costs and make a profit. A major advance in some stuff could potentially be a game changer since it's the sort of thing that would interest and benefit most people.

If I remember, yeah it was and the dude wound up going full psycho. It was like a Vietnam MACVSOG project or something

>Theres a gene mutation that increases bone density by well over 50%, greatly enhancing resistance to fractures
If you're talking about LRP5 gain of function mutations, because they'd drown in a puddle. They're too dense to float.
>Why do we not make our soldiers superhumans?
Because you'd have to engineer the entire populace for your supersoldiers. Its basically impossible to do it on adults. Even if you could do it to adult subjects, its a bad idea. If you can get 2 or more regular soldiers for the price of each GE one, the benefits of quantity outweigh those of quality. It needs to be in the populace already, so that you pay for the initial set up costs and continue to reap the rewards indefinitely otherwise you're paying out the nose. But good luck getting your entire population to agree to engineering every child isn't going to happen outside of dictatorship
Also several of the mutations you listed are only positive when they're heterozygous, and have deleterious effects when homozygous meaning that the generation AFTER you introduce the engineering, you end up with a starving, lethargic population as pairs of engineered people produce children. The only way to get around that is strict breeding control and again, good luck with that.

You can't just stop lactic acid from building up.
Your body runs on ATP. You normally use oxygen as the final stage in ATP generation (aerobic). When you are pushing to the limit and you don't have enough Oxygen to generate the ATP your body starts using Carbon based molecules to make up the difference (anaerobic). Lactic acid is the result.
You can't just alter fundamental chemistry like that.
However, some species, like yeast, generate alcohol instead of lactic acid. I would be cool with getting drunk when I sprint up a hill instead of feeling my muscles burn.

while that would be cool, having soldiers get wasted every time they ruck for an hour or two probably isn't a wise military investment

He's talking about Dean Karnazes, the ultramarathon runner. He doesn't not produce lactate, he just removes and processes it far faster than normal and so has an apparently unmeasurably high lactate threshold.

>think reverse albinism

That's a real thing by the way its called Melanism. Not that the writers knew that

I hypothesize that sleep is time for your brain to sort through information gathered, toss out the useless stuff, compress the remainder and write it to long term memory.

If you go without sleep then you are sleepy because it is now doing all the defragging during waking hours and taking away processing power from other duties. It may also have to compromise and toss out memories without properly reviewing them to clear up space in time, hence why sleepy people tend to also be more forgetful.

Dreaming is just a screensaver for the soul.

There's physiological reasons for all of those reactions. Lactic acid isnt pointless, not to mention the tissue damage that occurs after excessive excercise. Not saying it's impossible, it's just not done that way.

Wouldn't a taller human make a better solider. Used to hike with this dude, he was 6'5 and he carried double what I carried ( I'm a 5'10 manlet.) Dude felt at home when he shot his PTR but never liked shooting my sopmoppy mod style AR. I envy the tall.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 59K)

also, if one had a small dick, you could just give him big dick genes, eliminating a lot of insecurity. hell, make everyone the same height and you'd do away with even more insecurity. gene modification could do a lot of good for society. make everyone more intelligent. lots of problems solved.