Was Chosin the most brutal and hellish single tactical engagement the US military has faced in the last two hundred...

Was Chosin the most brutal and hellish single tactical engagement the US military has faced in the last two hundred years, at least?

Attached: YPTFF-13-On-the-ice[1].jpg (702x463, 78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battles_with_most_United_States_military_fatalities
youtu.be/kH-xJxBNuVM
youtu.be/EdtSDoKHZQU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not even close. Antietam takes the cake. For 12 hours of combat, there were ~25,000 casualties. That translates to 34.7 people dying every minute, around the clock, nonstop.

Attached: s-l640.jpg (599x479, 90K)

25k casualties does not mean 25k dead people.

No, it does not.

Attribute that to the magnitude of the battle and the fact casualties counted often include both sides.

OPs pic is of the handful of survivors of RCT-31 also known as Task Force Faith. They were on the east side of the reservoir defending the muhreens flank while they built a fuckin airfield at Hagaru. All of the commanding officers were KIA and eventually after encountering so many roadblocks during the breakout attempt, they were stalled and overrun by the chinks and utterly destroyed.
>chinese were literally running up and down the column of vehicles and tossing phosphorus grenades into the trucks filled with wounded

Attached: Untitled.png (313x476, 19K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battles_with_most_United_States_military_fatalities

There are many other contenders

I'm not sure how to word this but I'm thinking of the most brutal single engagement in the context of instantaneousness. What happened at Chosin happened over a period of days and it was all in relation to the same battle, all localized to one small area on a much bigger map. Everything near the top of that list happens on a timespan of months if not more.

Chosin resulted in 17,000 casualties with more than 1,000 being KIA and more than 4,800 being MIA and this took no more than a week and a few dozen square miles of terrain.

If you were going by swiftness of casualties then the invasion of Normandy had the most casualties and KIA in a single day, most of the beaches were basically meat grinders. Antietam was another fast paced casualty meat grinder. Though in terms of isolation Chosin does stand out as having large sections of the US force cut off and killed off so does the battle of the Bulge.

>most of the beaches were basically meat grinders
Like one of them
>Antietam
>Sudden
Knew it was going to happen for weeks and the blues had to fight their way there through the outer ridges. Casualties did mount startlingly fast though, commanders had entire units blown to pieces with no real knowlege as to how it even happened

Attached: 220px-The_American_Soldier,_1862_-_by_H._Charles_McBarron.jpg (219x307, 38K)

Every beach except Utah had 1,000 allied casualties on D-day, the deadliest was Omaha (which was the US invasion zone) out of 4,400 allied KIA on the first day 2,500 were US forces with half of them being at Omaha.

When I was referring to swiftness I meant number of casualties taken in a single day rather than the lead up to the actual battle. And the fact that Antietam is 2nd only to D-day landings in terms of most US casualties in a day goes to show it was definitely a fast paced meat grinder once the actual battle started. Definitely would not want to volunteer to be in either lol

Depopulation disguised as defending "freedom."

Someone just watched the Chosin documentary on Netflix

Me too.

On the other hand the Chinese soldiers pretty much just let them walk away. They even released surrendered US soldiers and allowed them to walk back to their lines after dropping their weapons. They probably didn't know the trucks had wounded in them.

Sword and Juno had relatively light casualties. It's quite difficult to tell though because nobody really counted casualties for the first day. Most casualty counts you see are for the first few days.

Me three

This. Read a book about Graves Registration units after D-Day as a kid. Basically did a sweep of the area after 3 to 5 days collecting dead infamtry, cutting dead paras out of trees and fishing dead guys out of swamps and the ocean. It was a mess, but not everything was Dog Green bad or even close in the shore landings.
And again CASUALTIES =! DEATHS

Attached: 1538584921265m.jpg (1024x703, 41K)

My grandfather was a army infantryman in Korea. Never talked about it except one story while washing his stuff by a creek a sniper round went off and hit the rock to his left...that's all I was ever told. Still have post cards he sent my grandmother from Japan while on leave and have a few pics of him surrounded by snow with a m1 Garand and the m1 carbine in another. Actually couldn't grow his last 3 toe nails due to frostbite. Not that it matters or relevant but just thought I'd share.

yes.
Hoorah Devil Dawgs
Sampler Pie

Jow Forums and /gif/ are the only places I’ve ever been to that has made me start to hate the chinks

>They probably didn't know the trucks had wounded in them.
Task Force Faith was carrying somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 wounded soldiers with many trucks stacking them three layers deep in the bed and tied across the hoods and cabin roofs. There is literally no way to overrun a convoy like that and not know what the fuck you're doing when you run down the line chucking WP into every truck

get those scanned and post them on Jow Forums for posterity. the korean war deserves more attention than it gets

Actually, only 3500 people died at antietam.

In the Battle of the Frontiers though, France lost nearly 30 000 soldiers in a single day.

>ignoring accounts of Chinese troops executing wounded Americans
Fuck off

I'm about an hour into this docukino right here
youtu.be/kH-xJxBNuVM
>old guy trying not to cry when he describes watching a truck loaded with wounded rolling past him, on fire, with the wounded on top and inside screaming for help
>a truck filled with wounded slid off the road and they had to leave them there
i wasn't ready for these feels

Attached: k02_00710091[1].jpg (990x660, 358K)

I think some of the ugliest WW2 Pacific battles may have been comparable, but it may just take the cake. I read a biography of Douglas MacArthur some years ago that included a pretty detailed description of the battle and it sounded fucking bad. Something like 85% of the Marines had frostbite. They were combat ineffective when they arrived at Hungnam. It's pretty much a miracle that they weren't cut off and annihilated.

Might as well mention that my grandpa's brother was there, but he's never wanted to say anything about it so I can't say that I really have him as a resource.

No shit, have you ever prodded for information or is that a no-go subject within the family? Was he a Marine or Soldier?

A work friend of mine showed me a picture of his grandpa getting medals from macarthur for beingone of the few who made it back across. He lost toes from frostbite.

He was a soldier. I've never prodded him to hard, but he's never seemed inclined to talk about it. He is getting up there in years, so next time I see him maybe I should push a bit more. It'd be very interesting to have his story.

Was he part of RCT-31 or was he on the west side with the marines?

I believe he was on the west side, because he's mentioned being with the Marines before even though he was Army himself. I'm not 100% certain though.

Fredericksburg was a meat grinder.
12,653 Union casualties vs 5,377 Confederate.

What you have to remember about the earlier wars was that wounded usually meant you died days after the battle.

Attached: 7BB1C5B3-2FF4-40ED-993F-6F34C2263468.jpg (633x237, 105K)

Either way it's fucking incredible that he made it back. The soldiers on the west side numbered 400 and they were tasked with holding what was called East Hill which was the highest point overlooking the main road into Hagaru. They held their position for 5 days before any marines could link up with them again. Circled where he'd be on the map. And if he was on the east side that means he was part of task force faith most likely which is another feat of being a tough-motherfucker if he's still alive

Attached: chosin.png (1235x671, 1.19M)

chosin is easily the most brutal postwar battle and nothing in Vietnam or the conflicts that followed reached that scale of loss and violence
>marines in their sleeping bags getting bayoneted and knifed in the night
>hand to hand combat with chinks if you were lucky enough to wake up in time
fuck that

Yeah, my grandpa and both his brothers are all badasses. Unfortunately I didn't inherit their badassitude. But I'm very proud of them and am equally happy and impressed that they all made it back from their experiences.

>making muhreen jokes
>when the force was a mix of Marines, Army, and South Koreans
>funny man

Attached: 0C046E82-D1EB-47EC-85EA-3C5CFBAAE0C6.png (649x690, 174K)

>Pfc. Hanson, a machine gunner with the 1st Platoon, Company F, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty in action against an armed enemy of the United Nations. The company, in defensive positions on two strategic hills separated by a wide saddle, was ruthlessly attacked at approximately 0300 hours, the brunt of which centered on the approach to the divide within range of Pfc. Hanson's machine gun. In the initial phase of the action, 4 riflemen were wounded and evacuated and the numerically superior enemy, advancing under cover of darkness, infiltrated and posed an imminent threat to the security of the command post and weapons platoon. Upon orders to move to key terrain above and to the right of Pfc. Hanson's position, he voluntarily remained to provide protective fire for the withdrawal. Subsequent to the retiring elements fighting a rearguard action to the new location, it was learned that Pfc. Hanson's assistant gunner and 3 riflemen had been wounded and had crawled to safety, and that he was maintaining a lone-man defense. After the 1st Platoon reorganized, counterattacked, and resecured its original positions at approximately 0530 hours, Pfc. Hanson's body was found lying in front of his emplacement, his machine gun ammunition expended, his empty pistol in his right hand, and a machete with blood on the blade in his left hand, and approximately 22 enemy dead lay in the wake of his action. Pfc. Hanson's consummate valor, inspirational conduct, and willing self-sacrifice enabled the company to contain the enemy and regain the commanding ground, and reflect lasting glory on himself and the noble traditions of the military service.
he was 20 fucking years old

Attached: 1513362716103.jpg (468x895, 52K)

Captain Ben L. Salomon was serving at Saipan, in the Marianas Islands on July 7, 1944, as the Surgeon for the 2nd Battalion, 105th Infantry Regiment, 27th Infantry Division. The Regiment’s 1st and 2d Battalions were attacked by an overwhelming force estimated between 3,000 and 5,000 Japanese soldiers. It was one of the largest attacks attempted in the Pacific Theater during World War II. Although both units fought furiously, the enemy soon penetrated the Battalions’ combined perimeter and inflicted overwhelming casualties. In the first minutes of the attack, approximately 30 wounded soldiers walked, crawled, or were carried into Captain Salomon’s aid station, and the small tent soon filled with wounded men. As the perimeter began to be overrun, it became increasingly difficult for Captain Salomon to work on the wounded. He then saw a Japanese soldier bayoneting one of the wounded soldiers lying near the tent. Firing from a squatting position, Captain Salomon quickly killed the enemy soldier. Then, as he turned his attention back to the wounded, two more Japanese soldiers appeared in the front entrance of the tent. As these enemy soldiers were killed, four more crawled under the tent walls. Rushing them, Captain Salomon kicked the knife out of the hand of one, shot another, and bayoneted a third. Captain Salomon butted the fourth enemy soldier in the stomach and a wounded comrade then shot and killed the enemy soldier. Realizing the gravity of the situation, Captain Salomon ordered the wounded to make their way as best they could back to the regimental aid station, while he attempted to hold off the enemy until they were clear. Captain Salomon then grabbed a rifle from one of the wounded and rushed out of the tent. After four men were killed while manning a machine gun, Captain Salomon took control of it. When his body was later found, 98 dead enemy soldiers were piled in front of his position. Captain Salomon’s extraordinary heroism...

Attached: Ben Salomon.jpg (435x531, 23K)

...and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.
And you wonder why people are scared of the dentist
>He was 29 years old

I see you haven't been to Jow Forums yet.

>be honorabru japanese officer
>prepare to lead attack against filthy american piggu
>sure of victory, will drive imperialist off island of saipan
>completely your ceremonial sake and head out into battle with your troops
>effortlessly push over them, get to medical station
>one of your men gut a helpless piggu near the main doctor's tent
>raughs.png
>he gets dropped by someone inside this tent
>save that tent for last because he's some cowardly medic, very dishonorabru
>two of your men go into deal with the medic early, assured it will be easy
>you hear them shrieking as the two get shot
>start to notice and get promptly pissed, send four guys to surround this piggu and enact revenge
>they all get wiped out too, their agonizing cries fill you with rage
>who the fuck is this imperialist pigdog
>he shows himself as he comes out with a rifle, as his patients run and crawl away
>time to have a proper duel, will crush this petty doctor
>was stabbed numerous times and looks like a dork but...he is just too angry to die
>your assurance in victory doesn't stop you as four of your men attack him
>he drops them effortlessly and adjusts his glasses
>suddenly, this roundeye has a fuckin' machine gun cradled in his arms
>ohmyemperor.png
>ramen noodle falling out of your pockets as you lead a charge against this man, whom you are convinced isn't probably a human
>be the first to get absolutely eviscerated by his machine gun
>hear him cry out angrilly in piggu speak
>"I ONLY WANTED TO CLEAN TEETH YOU FUCKING NIPS!"
>get wasted by a pissed off dentist

Attached: shamefur dispray.jpg (319x480, 158K)

Attached: at9OFZC[1].jpg (6399x5022, 1.61M)

You saying marines didn’t execute Chinese wounded? It’s fucking war. Get real bitch.
If anything the PVA treated their prisoners fairly well all thing considered

Gave me a hearty chuckle
Geez, strawman much Cheng?

Attached: 1530417307197.jpg (1280x849, 187K)

can I get a quick rundown on the winter gear our troops were using? it's aesthetic as fuck and I want it

Attached: korean-war-usmc-series-1st-marine-div-chosin-120750-1[1].jpg_w=690&h=552.jpg (690x552, 198K)

There were some pretty force on force engagements that wiped out entire companies in Vietnam so it's really hard to make that comparison

Good

>American conduct during the war wasn’t exactliy pristine
>bawwww strawman
Fag

give me examples of US brutality towards wounded chinks. the documentary I just watched showed marines giving hot coffee and cigarettes to a captured laundryman with no footwear and had literal blocks of ice growing around his ankles.

Are you seriously saying burgers are saints?

Me four

Certainly the best place to learn about the oriental Jew

Attached: 1500488947917.jpg (501x585, 44K)

Go to Jow Forums and discover the degeneracy that is the entirety of mainland China. Gookjews and insectoid people that are on par to be the absolutely worst things next the kikes themselves. I say very un-ironically.

Attached: 1537851845086.jpg (682x515, 23K)

Compared to "we literally can't stop committing war crimes" China the US turns water to wine then walks on it.

China has committed more war crimes just since 1945 than all Western nations (including Germany) combined since the Hague Accords.

Yeah I am, they evacuated tens of thousands korean civilians who were destined for a mass grave and ensured a free south korea. Watch this video
youtu.be/EdtSDoKHZQU