Where to start with black powder? anyone got some recommendations on a first black powder revolver...

where to start with black powder? anyone got some recommendations on a first black powder revolver? I love the aesthetic of the walker

Attached: capnball.jpg (1280x720, 180K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=1858 revolver&CQ_zstype=REG
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Get either a Uberti 1860 army for the aesthetics or a Uberti Remington old army, which will be easier to deal with by far.

Attached: IMG_0337.jpg (1334x828, 316K)

1851 Navy to start, Pietta and Uberti make good ones.

>we wild west/civil war nao

for utility get a stainless 1858

Where'd you get that knife?

Get a Uberti 1851 navy or Uberti new model army. Had pietta, they work but aren't as good. Start off getting the standard lead balls from hornady. If they fit or don't, get cheaper oversized balls or cast your own. Remington and Cci caps are excellent. Real black powder is nice, substitutes like Hodgdon triple 7 are great. Expect to clean your hand every time. Some pistols need to be fully broken down depending how much you shoot.

Stupid phone, meant to say expect to clean your gun every time after shooting it. Took this at the range today.

Attached: 20181006_122650.jpg (4160x3120, 3.59M)

Why no Walker? I only plan on owning one, so why not go big?

Is it so big that its just stupid and dosnt give that comfy black powder aesthetic?

I'd get an Uberti 1851 with .380 oversized lead balls and some legit FFFg black powder. Get plenty of lube and be generous when applying it to the chambers.

>Why no Walker? I only plan on owning one, so why not go big?
It's retardedly heavy and only practical to shoot from a rest. It also has a rather unfortunately designed loading lever retainer spring that has a tendency of not holding on. The Walker is a novelty. If you absolutely must have a .44, get an 1860 Army or a Remington 1858. I wouldn't have even gotten mine as soon as I did if some gun store didn't offload their's for $260 on Gunbroker a few months back.

Attached: WP_20180714_003[2].jpg (3072x1728, 2.94M)

>Walker is a novelty
It was on the cutting edge of technology and the most powerful handgun until the advent of the 357Mag. It was literally designed to be able to kill a horse at +75 yards if accidentally shot a little low trying to hit the horse’s rider.

OP- one option is to wait till Cabelas has another round of Cap’n’Ball sales and pick up an 1858 to start with. They just did one about 3 months ago, so they are getting close to being due for another. The brass ones are fine if you need to save a few more bucks.

cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=1858 revolver&CQ_zstype=REG

Attached: 2749A5DE-D5B2-4ACC-B726-D364611BCA45.jpg (4032x3024, 3.69M)

You aren't killing horses, and if you're using a Walker to shoot at people you're fucking retarded. For what you'll actually use it for, punching holes in paper, it has a number of drawbacks. It's a novelty to any modern gun owner. A really neat novelty, but a novelty.

I use mine to blast hogs and carry it during primitive weapon season. It’s a small niche, but it works. I know of several other guys that use them for deer.
They are also a hoot to shoot with a full 60gr charge!
I *think* they are somewhat practical for a certain segment of the population, as well..... Felons.

That's an EXTREMELY small niche, but fair enough. They have a use for hunting in primitive weapon seasons, if for some reason you don't want to use a musket.

And at one point smoothbores were the king of firearms, but that doesn't make them not novelties today.

I dunno, smoothbores are some of the most impressive guns we currently have.
APFSDS-T are pretty friggin awesome, and really shine inna smoothbore.
-t.19K

Based

Svord von tempsky bowie

*sip* This is all you need to defend your freedom.

Attached: 1449095912860-1.jpg (1920x1080, 237K)

this

op here, thanks for the input guys, Im really liking the uberti 1858, and im thinking i will go with
stainless like said. dose the loading lever stay in place pretty well on the 1858?

yes

Jow Forums is too weeb mall ninja for bp

is it feasible and safe to make my own black powder, bullets, and percussion caps?

Attached: 1514290878213.jpg (720x480, 66K)

Bullets yes, casting lead is easy af. I have no idea about homemade gunpowder or caps though.

The Walker's much harder to shoot, takes a shitload more powder than an 1851/1860/1858, and takes longer to clean. Not great for someone starting out in BP.

If you can find a good source for saltpeter, maybe. Making your own caps is a tall order though.

Neat guns, but as others have said the '58 Remington is a lot more practical for a starter gun.

Attached: IMG_5128.jpg (1672x939, 791K)

I just got back from a mule deer hunt; I was carrying my walker on my hip the whole time. It's a personal favorite hunting sidearm of mine now.

Do you use round ball or conical for the hogs, and how well does it work on them?

Horny girl

similar ballistics to a .380