FN FAL questions

Hey Jow Forums, for a while I have had a fascination with FAL and FAL pattern rifles. While doing my research on what is legal to own in the united states I became confused by some of the regulations

Im aware that all varients designated machine guns are illiegal to own without i class 3 and even some semi auto only versions are baned due to being to easy to convert to full auto.

my questions are:

>What versions if any are civilian legal?
>where do certain semi-auto varients such as the L1A1 fall in terms of legality and importation?
>what varient is the closest i can get to to the orignal 50s/60s Belgian configuration while being civilian legal AND not unreasonably priced

inb4: California

i live in a very pro gun state so i doubt there is an issue here but once i have some more clarification i of course will dive deaper into my local regulations to enshure everything is kosher

Attached: L1A1-SLR.jpg (946x946, 147K)

You're best off building one off a kit or buying a build and having a gunsmith look it over. Hard to go wrong unless it's a coonan receiver or built by a retard. Buy the grip that blocks the selector from sliding to where full auto would be. Easiest way to keep your dog alive. They're not an open bolt gun, so I don't see where else you'd have an issue. Hope this helps

What is unreasonably priced? Good FALs are $1500 or so. Bad ones are $1000 or less. If $1500 is fine for you then there are a lot of options you can go for.

It’s a shame. 10 years ago DSA was building STG58 clones on forged receivers that were really good quality. Price wasn’t insane either.

I see their website still lists some for around 1700. are they no longer makig them or has the quality just dropped through the floor? reasonably priced for me looks like 1200-2300ish

>What versions if any are civilian legal?
The original Browning imports that were grandfathered, and any others that have a semi auto ejector block.

>where do certain semi-auto varients such as the L1A1 fall in terms of legality and importation?
There are two sources for L1A1s in the US. Joe Poyer guns were Aussie L1A1s imported new into the US in the 80s without the sear cut. Then there are authentic British L1A1s that Century imported for LEO sales only in the early 90s that might or might not get your ass and dog raped.

>what varient is the closest i can get to to the orignal 50s/60s Belgian configuration while being civilian legal AND not unreasonably priced
Make a clone or buy one. Don't know market prices atm.

Attached: 1528799481316.jpg (700x700, 59K)

I can't speak for metric variants, but I have a DSA L1A1 receiver from the last batch and the quality control is fucking dogshit. Receiver is warped, bolt binds on ejector.

the last browning import I saw went for a little over 17k I saw 2 poyer guns that were selling around 7k a piece. LEO only imports sounds like a great way to get an univited ATF visit

That’s the “SA58”. They made an STG58 on Steyr and, I think later, on Imbel receivers. Pic related.

Attached: 86368674-E33C-46C5-A4EE-DDC161EDFFC4.jpg (800x302, 95K)

SeeRegarding their inch guns. DSA makes fine metric guns but their inch guns are as user said... dog shit. Also if you’re going DSA, Has it right. Their older stuff made on Steyr and Imbel receivers were really quite good.

Not OP, I have a real L1A1, but it isn’t a Centry import, it’s a “fell off the truck”-tier real one. Where can I read more up on the Century ones and why it may get OPs booty plundered?

hows there current metric stuff?

Attached: 451ACC13-D89C-43F2-82E1-A021020A900C.jpg (4032x3024, 3.59M)

But how?

Attached: not-atf-30154975.png (500x506, 114K)

Decent. As always with all guns. fondle one before buying. They get a bad wrap because a couple years ago they had some bad batches as they were getting their castings sorted (I think new old-stock forged receivers were all dried up so to speak). From what I can tell they’re decent now. Some FAL builders will surely chime in and say otherwise though because they’re competitors.

WOULDN’T YOU LIKE TO KNOW MR. LAW MAN

I just wanna read more on the Century ones.

How good are primo kits on a coonan receiver?

looks immaculate dude, howd you snag that?

Local fudd. Beyond that, I don’t know the history. Got my sexy old full-fun Winchester M14 and my legit G3 the same way.

Attached: B7A1BF62-1205-4CFA-84EA-E416B7A9354F.jpg (1536x2048, 1.12M)

Depends on the receiver you got. Some were good, some were so tall the bolt would ride on top of the next round instead of feeding it.

you have my dream collection right there man, I love the cold war era rifles

Damn. You just need a SIG 510-4 and consider your Cold War battle rifle collection complete.

If it has a safety sear cut the ATF considers it a machine gun

I've read recent things about DSAs still having shit QC.

The "L1A1 Sporter" guns that century made are different, those were built with custom receivers either from Imbel or some US plant. The LEO only L1A1s were just straight British guns.

Attached: maxresdefault (2).jpg (1280x720, 82K)

Any other FAL fags here have a SUIT site? I got what I think was a screaming deal at a show, the tritium is dead but it seems to work pretty well, the glass is pretty clear and I actually kinda like the goofy sight picture. Anyone have any recommendations about getting it recharged or caring for it out in the woods?

Attached: 20180812_221030.jpg (4032x3024, 2.74M)

>are they no longer makig them

They are no longer exporting them to America, since the 1987 import ban.

No idea, there was a service that would recharge it a few years ago but I'm unsure what happened to it. Have a SUIT waiting for a rifle.