Describe the ideal Space Jow Forumsraft

Can be anything, a cruiser, carrier, support ship, liner, freighter, etc.

Attached: oms 2.jpg (1024x577, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s2hM1tyEL0U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Describe the ideal Space Jow Forumsraft
I'm thinking something closer to the mothership from Homeworld. Just wire me up to it's central core and let all of those ships be extensions of my will. I'll travel the space ways selling weapons and technologies to lesser species as the ultimate example of AnCap ideology.

Attached: Homeworld.jpg (600x296, 144K)

Basically a Rogue Trader

this right here is peak performance you may not like it buts its fact

Attached: 302.jpg (2000x1050, 547K)

>Basically a Rogue Trader
Rouge Traders are still loyal to the Imperium on some level.

A lopsided ship that has a fuckton of guns on one side and only that side, and equipped with an efficient short-range teleporter. Warp in, broadside, warp out before they get their shit together and start hitting back.

this but with some actual fucking CIWS

Attached: S5 Pictures 2777.jpg (736x488, 62K)

Loyal indeed, and bear both respect and freedom as they bring wealth and valuable knowledge into the Imperium

Pretty much what I was thinking except with a few defensive weapons and countermeasures.

Attached: 3147DA12-270D-4CEA-883C-5C8491EB7081.jpg (2000x768, 348K)

Yeah it'll probably need those additions to be a proper ship. Or go whole hog in the opposite direction, make it a big dumb wall of guns built entirely for the alpha strike.
>no propulsion other than maneuvering thrusters
>needs a heavy cargo ship to tow it between systems and to carry spare ammo
>exactly enough ammo in respective magazines for, say, 3 seconds of firing

it would have to be a landing craft oh gosh I have so many good spacecraft ideas

Attached: 41243234234.jpg (1280x720, 137K)

The ships from The Expanse make my pp hard.

Attached: 160126_NorthFront_EXT_rocinante_09d-layout.jpg (1920x1080, 445K)

>Loyal indeed, and bear both respect and freedom as they bring wealth and valuable knowledge into the Imperium
And that's pretty much why I wouldn't support them. I've got my own motives and they don't include submitting myself to a higher authority. But that said, I would have no problem selling my services to them.

oh fuck yeah look at them gun emplacements

So what kind of clandestine authority would you claim to be?

Even the most elusive Rogue Trader has to have somewhere to call home or "port"

Looks comfy enough.

Attached: 1492123436350.jpg (1920x1190, 683K)

UNSC from Halo got it pretty right: just a massive, self-propellant rail-gun with rooms built around it. Ideally combat is waged from light years away and there're no small "fighter ships".

Attached: 4780924-0293314026-GNG7N.jpg (4080x1920, 531K)

Attached: MA6-E.jpg (1920x960, 115K)

>rogue traders
>calling anywhere home
They have a literal license to deal openly with enemies of the imperium. Their ship is their home and port is anywhere not within the terrors of the warp.

>can travel to multiple galaxies
I want StarGate back again.

COD Infinite Warfare had some pretty aesthetic designs desu

Attached: infinite warfare oms.jpg (299x168, 6K)

Battlestars are probably the better designed ships in sci-fi. The CIC is buried deep within the super-structure and encased in shitloads of armor that can survive dozens of nuclear detonations.

Attached: PegasusMain.jpg (1000x563, 41K)

God, the Infinity was such a fucking waste. They could have built a fleet out of the resources they wasted on this hunk of junk.

Attached: legend_of_galactic_heroes___hyperion_by_hideyoshi-daty7zl.jpg (1600x941, 795K)

I like the The-A10-Was-A-Good-Idea in Space concept.
Get a big gun, put engines on.

Attached: 1497068529495.jpg (2048x1729, 209K)

Attached: f0a20df5ba2b854e47a8ce79d550959a.jpg (1134x802, 217K)

A little bit of combined with a pinch of and some of , all mixed together with a helping of .

Infinity wasn't meant to be a warship, it was a colony ship that priviliged people would use to flee the Covenant and restart humanity on the far side of the galaxy.

In terms of combat the only things that matter are acceleration and delta v. Thus you'd have a tube with big engines and fuel tanks and the least amount of crew possible. Armour and defensive measures beyond evasion and ecm are a waste of mass because you're dead if anything hits you anyway and the reduction in acceleration means you cannot initiate an engagement. Weapons would probably consist of numerous kinetic missiles capable of extreme acceleration.

At a relative engagement velocity of 1% the speed of light a 300kg projectile will hit with the kinetic equivalent of 300kt for example. You cannot defend against that

I have a huge boner for Star Citizen's Polaris. It's fast, sleek for a big ship, carries an arsenal of "torpedoes" (big long-range missiles, really), has a respectable set of defensive turrets, PDCs, and short-range missiles, and can carry a defensive fighter or support ship and a large ground vehicle. It also has comfortable crew quarters, onboard medical facilities, etc.

Attached: RSI_Polaris_Kopfbild.png (1401x856, 1.05M)

I cannot fucking believe nobody posted the Orion yet.

>Nevertheless though, the main mission for the Orion battleship would be nuclear deterrence against nations like the Soviet Union, China, and Warsaw Pact nations. The nuclear-bomb powered battleship would carry up to 500 20MT nuclear warheads in the frontal part of the spaceship which can be fired downwards while orbiting above a target. However, another radical, but pretty much a doomsday device was an unmanned variant of the Orion battleship armed with a single 3GT (possibly the largest nuclear warhead ever proposed by any nation) nuclear warhead. The ship would fire the warhead or use the ship itself as weapon to strike at its target. Along with its nuclear warheads, the Orion orbital battleship carried massive array of defensive weapon systems like direct-energy weapons, five Mark 42 127mm naval guns, and ten, but mysterious Casaba howitzer which fired a special shaped rounds. The Orion battleship would have lived up to its name since it was armed like a naval battleship on the high seas. The United States Air Force was planning to have a fleet of these orbital battleships in space as a deterrent against the Soviet Union and their allies.

Attached: npp_06001_1_model_by_william_black-d8c7rhb.jpg (1028x778, 143K)

I've been playing a lot of Dreadnought lately so I'm fairly biased.

That being said, driving the Jupiter Arms destroyer line is a bit like flying a sword made out of guns.

Attached: destroyer-agosta.png (1098x725, 507K)

>manned turrets
Star shitizen's designs are retarded.

>main guns not in the center
y tho

Definitely the case.

Also failing to mention the shitload of point defense and conventional munitions. Despite being an old ship the Galactica can dish and take punishment.

Yeah they're kinda dumb, I get why they do it for gameplay reasons though. There are options to automate them or you can just stick NPCs in them and forget about it if you want.

It's the most logical way to build a ship for orbital combat. A long cone of heavy armor with a single massive kinetic weapon firing out the front, engines in the rear, trying to hide your radiators from enemy fire as much as possible, a few low-profile laser turrets connected via mirrors to their laser engine for CIWS. Boring to look at but basically unkillable if it gets into its attack orbit first. From there you're basically tilting at each other like Don Quixote.

Attached: 1486717658991.png (700x474, 191K)

I've wonder for some time if an efficient shell/missile warhead could be made by using some chemical payload that reacts violently with or contaminates whatever is in the opponents fuel tanks. Perhaps something that even in small amounts will gum up or seize the fuel pumps.

That'd actually be a really interesting and original idea. If you could figure out a method of delivering it it would absolutely work. Maybe some kind of goop that's a really strong thermal insulator that you try to cover up their radiators with, to continue in that vein?

>Maybe some kind of goop that's a really strong thermal insulator that you try to cover up their radiators with, to continue in that vein?
A special weapon to target the radiators would be less effective because they're a point target, while fuel tanks are easy to hit because they're what most of the ship will be made of.

On the other hand I guess targeting radiators would work with heatseeking submunitions. Then it seems more effective to use something like a sticky ball with an internal linear shaped charge that can be oriented towards outer shells point of contact with the radiator. It'd cut a straight a gash in the panel, disrupting as much tubing or whatever as possible.

/thread

Attached: Hyperion LOGH.jpg (837x455, 155K)

>step 1: build Shkadov thruster around sun
>step 2: strap as many possible weapons to this creation
>step 3: outta my way shiplet fucking shits

Attached: 4 (30).jpg (500x500, 74K)

Kinetic weapons on a non-disposable platform are retarded and massively limited (good luck accelerating something past 20 km/s without it wrecking the gun). Imagine just sitting there for minutes or even hours waiting for your big dumb shell or missile to cross hundreds of thousands of kilometres while the other guy just pastes you with his laser instantly.

CHOADE is not realistic btw

A lot of the old EU star wars cargo ships and light cruisers when upgunned were pretty damn Jow Forums

The Z75 headhunter should have been the ship in the new series if they were doing the (((ragtag non state sanctioned actors in the outer rim with the full backing of the government))) shtick
>Looks like an Xwing
>Not an Xwing
>Predecessor to the Xwing
>New toy for kids to buy

Pair that with a ragtag first order using a mix of Merc, mandalorian, clone wars, and imperial equipment who build a superlaser and strap it to a starship... Like in the old EU

Attached: ezd00gi10os11.jpg (1577x700, 590K)

yeah but
>hide behind planet, asteroid, the fucking sun, whatever
>use the magical powers of GRAVITY to slingshot kinetic projectiles at the other goon
>hit him at insane relative velocity because space
>he cant hit you cuz lasers only ever travel in a straight line
of course im actually a fucking moron roast me

So you can fire a 12 gun broad(top)side or a 12 gun frontal battery. It's actually a pretty good design for 3D warfare, discounting the fact that IRL space combat would be fought at millions of miles.

9.5/10 would use in a space combat game

>CHOADE is not realistic btw
Yeah, they way overrate armor, radiators are way tougher than they'd actually be, and the firing rate of most things is excessive, but good fucking luck selling me on the idea that you should waste your delta-v carting around 10000kg of missiles when you could be dumping that same 10000kg of 20 km/s functionally indestructible and nondivertable projectiles from around the other side of the fucking planet

guided space weapons are caveman iq, dumbfire is patrician

Unironically a long cylinder with a bunch of guns on it
>reactor in the back, with heavy shielding between it and the crew
>railgun along the entire hull
If you opt for energy weapons, have fuckhuge microwave emitters hooked into your reactor

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 55K)

The problem with that is the time factor involved. The time factor is the same reason why there's no Y wings in the new series. Hell even the xwings being used by the resistance are old surplus with the current gen of xwings look more like a mix of xwing and arc-170 aestetics.

Now, a z75 headhunter mk II would get around that by explaining that they released a headhunter anniversary edition or something.

But yeah I feel the f/o fielding a bunch of old imperial and CIS gear would have made them seem like the imperial remnants that are supposed to be.

My niggas

Delivery ships count?

>indestructable ship construction
>used for misc. package deliverys

Attached: planet_express_ship_by_radiognomeinvisible[1].jpg (1024x769, 265K)

>I've been playing a lot of Dreadnought
How is it? I've been dying for a good capital ship simulator for years.

>Indestructible ship construction
>Has been critically damaged and destroyed multiple times.

nevermind, it's shit
>atmospheric battles
>no orbital mechanics
>ships don't feel like actual dreadnoughts
Kill yourself shill.

Attached: lol.png (338x453, 225K)

>Even the most elusive Rogue Trader has to have somewhere to call home or "port"

Some of fleets from Homeworld were known to exist in deep space indefinitely. No reason to be bound to one sector of space let alone to a single port.

Pic was the Pegasus, a Mercury-Class Battlestar with double the armor firepower of the Jupiter-Class Galactica.

I'm aware. I still personally prefer the Galactica.
I mean hell, the emergency jumps with the hangars extended did more damage than the cylons ever did and she was effectively rusting away by the end.

Compare that to base stars that were built around surprise attacks with nothing firing back. They had no point defense against missiles and fighters and relied solely on their fighters to screen fire from any opposing ships. (New series anyway, I'm not sure on the armamaents of the os battlestars and base stars)

>the Galactica literally rusted/rotted away before the Cylons could even cripple it severely
>Galactica basically kills herself jumping with the pods extended

Were the Cylons even trying? They couldn't kill a 40yr old ship with only 1 functioning flight-pod and stripped of half her armor plating.

Attached: deadlock.jpg (2033x1080, 250K)

If you have to ask...

Yes they were, however the base stars relied entirely on missiles at standoff distances and raiders with small arms and missiles. If they'd had conventional cannons that the galactica's ciws wouldn't be able to track and shoot down they might have been able to properly damage her.

That said it was still the emergency jumps that did the vast majority of the damage to her.

yeah, without the TV magic shit Galactica basically just wore itself out.

Gigantic dick cannon satellite complete with massive testes.

Attached: latest[1].jpg (400x350, 27K)

Attached: killzone-2-ISA-cruiser-concept-art-miguel-bymonje.jpg (2000x3642, 625K)

Perfection

Attached: Lexx.jpg (600x340, 21K)

Good warship simulator, bad space simulator. Focuses on teamwork and positioning with abilities.

Let me guess, ran in head first with your dick in your hands?

Yeah, no amount of tanking can save you from your own stupidity.

You guys do know that globalism is the only way we can have such things right?

shit, you just reminded me that I need to get off my lazy ass and watch season 3

You do that user.

Attached: Earth fleet mutiny.webm (1280x720, 1.38M)

>one of the best ship designs and specs in sci-fi
>never seen in games
reeeeeeeeeeee

Attached: Heart_of_Midlothian.png (1280x440, 120K)

that thing is an absolute meme, even in lore. it makes no sense with the UNSCs doctrine, it was delayed to high hell, barely works, and to top it off the UNSC even cancelled all the other orders.

So it's the UNSC equivalent to the Litoral Combat Ship program? Also the USNC should've just made one gigantic hybrid missile destroyer, aircraft carrier, instead of putting Forerunner technology in it.

pretty much. the UNSC has always been about smaller, more numerous ships with good fire power. the infinity has none of that.

wasnt there a time when the forerunner engines literally hijacked the ship?

I.... I think so, I remember something like that happening like that in Halo 4 when the Didact - The Last Forerunner - uses the technology of his Containment Sphere to disable Infinity's engine.

>the Didact - The Last Forerunner - uses the technology of his Containment Sphere to disable Infinity's engine.
The lore in Halo when from believable and gritty sci-fi about humanity's fight to survive to LOTR levels of convolution.

halo would have been better if war was more of a stalemate. it would have gave the finding of the rings, invasion of earth and the destruction of high charity more importance.

I hate the fucking nu-X-Wing, it's turbine are retarded. It's got a turbofan that splits into two semi-circular intakes. Which means that it's not a turbofan, so there shouldn't be any blades there. But there are. Old X-Wing was better. Four circular intakes. One for each engine. Perfect sense.

I agree, looks like a rejected Michael Bay transformer.

>some chemical that reacts violently with fuel
like fire?

Who wants a big spaceship that eats planets, continent by continent?

Attached: USG Ishimura Planet-Crack in Progress.jpg (1170x1942, 255K)

Project Orion was based as fuck

Attached: NukeFlag.png (1569x895, 68K)

>implying I bought it
lel

If they were in the center you would have equal or more firepower in all directions

Attached: 001294.png (1278x770, 310K)

project orion was totally different, nuclear spaceship propulsion

TFW you'll never terrorize your adversaries from orbit with a nuclear powered buttplug of death.

youtube.com/watch?v=s2hM1tyEL0U

Speed. That's all that will matter.

First, it's free

Second, you've effectively invalidated your opinion.

Congrats.

Having some nukes wont hurt.

Attached: Sheridan nukes a Minbari cruiser.webm (848x480, 1.33M)

Indeed, but only to soften, unless their yield is higher than 50-100 GT.

i really fucking wish they fleshed out the space battles in halo more. that shit was kino.

space ship shaped like a dang rifle

cant get much more Jow Forums than that

Attached: uss_sulaco_by_bagera3005.jpg (1355x590, 137K)

Why the fuck has no one said a gundam yet? They would destroy an entire fleet alone.

Attached: D5606322-75CE-484B-960D-960EFCEF951F.jpg (1360x2040, 1.13M)

>center of thrust offset from center of mass
DISGUSTING

BELTERS TO ASHES
MARTIANS TO DUST
IF WE DON'T GET THEM
THE PROTOMOLECULE MUST

Nuke the belters. Space War now.

Attached: Stealth ship rail gun.webm (1280x720, 926K)

Because we aren't retarded weebs?
>BUT THE LORE SAYS ITS THE BESTEST MOST COOLEST THING EVER
lmao

Attached: Warhammer2.png (1000x625, 22K)