Best .308 for SHTF

I'm a poorfag going to college.
What's the best I can get under $400?

Attached: RISP-150600-308-04.jpg (1000x725, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ammoseek.com/ammo/5.56x45mm-nato?co=new&ca=brass
youtu.be/XDLA6u424IM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

T/C Compass is pretty cheap. Ruger American also gets some good reviews. Not a whole lot of experience with either, though.

>poorfag
>.308
don't. get a basic bitch AR and buy the cheapest 223/556 you get.

Savage but if you're really that poor something cheaper to shoot would be better.

The shit will never hit the fan.

What would be a better rifle cartridge for shooting out to 1000 meters?
I'm looking for something cheap/common and effective against plates.
If anyone has a better suggestion, I'm all ears.

Hahahahahahaahha
oh wow.

Kid, you can’t even afford anything in that category. Let alone glass to go with it.

>shooting up to 1000 meters
>meters
>cheap caliber for this
God damn there should be an entrance exam for Jow Forums

Savage Axis w/Scope package

Should run you about 400 and it might occasionally hit at 1000m

I'm concerned about range with the 556.
Maybe not.
Either way, I want to be ready.
>Inb4 LARPing.
No, fitness is actually my first priority.
I'm working on longer cardio, rn.
I'll look into these.

Also, can someone explain the issues with the .308?
Would 7.62 be better?

>Would 7.62 be better?

Yes. Make sure you get a 7.62 and not a .308. The difference is huge.

>Also, can someone explain the issues with the .308?
>Would 7.62 be better?
7.62x39 or 7.62x51? Are you concerned about 308/7.62 NATO and thinking about 7.62x39 or want to know what difference is between 7.62 NATO and 308?
If you're asking either of those questions andn ot researching, you really should do what this person said to learn the basics of everything. At least that way you can afford to use and learn basics with a basic bitch AR since ya can afford ammo.

>What would be a better rifle cartridge for shooting out to 1000 meters?
Nothing you can afford. You also don't have the ability or glass to shoot at that distance. 6.5x55 if you ever unfuck yourself, but keep your unworthy hands off for now.
>I'm looking for something cheap/common and effective against plates.
user, any .308 boltgun is going to get you killed if you try to use it against someone with plates. And for under $400 you can only get a boltgun. Here's how it goes
>you shoot
>miss, or gets stopped by the plate because guess what retard, level 3 plates are rated to stop 7.62x51/.308
>he fires with his AR
>he misses
>he doesn't have to work the bolt
>he puts 15 rounds into you
>you die
And that's of course ignoring that SHTF is a fantasy for retards, and you're a fucking retard.

Anyway, buy a Savaga Axis or a T/C

>I'm concerned about range with the 556
Have you ever shot a gun at even 300 yards?

CZ 452 - 22lr
Shoot plates out to 200.
Get gud for 1/10 the price.

Wait what? OP means shooting at large round metal targets- i.e. "plates".
Or does the faggot expect to neutralize armored soft targets?

>Or does the faggot expect to neutralize armored soft targets?
This one I'm pretty sure, since he said effective against plates. And specified its for SHTF.

Well, enlighten me if you know so much.
Please, continue making pointless comments. You'll change the world that way.
Wow.
You're a high and mighty piece of shit. That's impressive, I've never seen anyone suck their cock so hard. You 6.5 creemore guys are assholes.
>Nothing you can afford. You also don't have the ability or glass to shoot at that distance. 6.5x55 if you ever unfuck yourself, but keep your unworthy hands off for now.
I'll be unfucked in 3-4 years, thanks you with plenty of cash.
>user, any .308 boltgun is going to get you killed if you try to use it against someone with plates. And for under $400 you can only get a boltgun.
You could have said so much with less than that.
I'll keep that in mind.
>Have you ever shot a gun at even 300 yards?
I have. I'm also sure you've never uttered a word without your own dick in your cheek.

Listen here you little shit, what you want can not be had on your budget, simple as that.
>ELR setup for $500
is not a meme that's in the /prg/ OP for nothing, but I bet you couldn't be bothered to lurk.

They're being kind of gruff but the advice isn't wrong. If you want a rifle for defense or SHTF LARPing, it's a very good idea for it to be semi-automatic. This works out great because you can get a decent AR-15 for dirt cheap these days. $400 builds are legitimately viable.

If you want a .308, you can afford a budget bolt action. They have gotten really good in the last decade, but are not 1000m rifles by any means. They are great for hunting or getting into basic precision shooting, but you're miles better off with an AR if you want to use it for protection.

Also, I think if you're trying to learn precision shooting from scratch you're better off with a bolt-actions in .22lr and get really good at it within 100yd before you graduate to longer ranges. If you try to jump into the deep end you'll have to blow a fuckload of money and you'll just get frustrated. It's not a skill you can learn in a day.

>You 6.5 creemore guys are assholes.
Wrong 6.5 retard
>the rest of your whining
user, the reason everyone is making 'pointless comments' is because for some reason we want to help your retarded ass.

Get a savage axis, same action as the high end savages, just not as milled for beauty points.

Uses same barrels and so on, so caliber changes are as easy as $20 and a trip to the local smith.

Only shitty thing about'em is the stock... and double check that the scope rings are actually tightened.

Pic is my raifu, Axis action with 26' Shilin match in .270 on a MDT chassis, glass is a Vortex PST II 3x15x44

Attached: 20181119_180448.jpg (4032x1215, 3.56M)

>ultra poorfag getting a .308
10/10 plan bub

Honestly it's not a bad idea. He's just doing it for a retarded reason.

If he wanted a poorfag .308 boltgun for hunting that'd be a great choice.

Getting a gun in a caliber you can't afford shooting appreciable quantities of is silly.

If he miss, ya the other dude has a chance to kill him or make him take cover. If he hits him with a .308 that guy is going down for sure. He may not die but he will have the wind knock out of him or have a broken rib. Kinetic energy is a bitch. But for sure an Ar is better for an urban environment, if hes open land then .308 if fine.

Yeah if I had to deal with some crazy shit I'd feel a lot better with a poverty pony AR than a Savage Axis. It's nearly as good as anything else within 200-300yd and anything past that I can usually just take cover and nope out.

Of course all of the rifles I own are .308, but I don't own them for SHTF. I just like them.

> If he hits him with a .308 that guy is going down for sure
He specified it's for penetrating plates. Rifle plates stop .308. They are not going down when hit while wearing rifle plates.
> if hes open land then .308 if fine.
No, there the problem is even worse. In an urban environment you have a chance to hide and are much harder to spot to begin with. In an open area, you get suppressed and killed. Your potential accuracy and range mean nothing to volume of fire. Maybe just maybe if you're the reincarnation of Simo Hayha and never miss a shot, and never have to shoot more than one person, and that one person never has body armor, a bolt action would be fine.

See how easy that was?
You were still a high and mighty piece of shit but not as much. ;)
Yeah, I see what you mean.
I'll be getting an ar.
There's also a case for not being a bag of di ks, though. If only for a smooth conversation.
See the above reply.
Thanks for the advice.
Please explain.
That's the thing. In my area, distances can be from under 200m to 2 miles. It doesn't know wtf it is. I think an ar would be better suited.
So what would you recommend in this situation?
That's pretty much my area. It's clear I don't have the cash for anything to punch through plates, so I'm better off hitting what unprotected areas I can. I was thinking of a guerrilla style approach. Hit what I can and run, hide and set traps. Avoid anything unfavorable, etc.

The only time I would take a bolt .308 over an AR for SHTF is if I lived in rural bum fuck Alaska where I'm more likely to encounter a grizzly than another human, and I have a Glock 20, and a 10/22 take down as backups. I can't think of any conceivable situation where I would prefer a semi auto .308 over 5.56 unless I'm a designated marksman in some de facto militia and I have no need for suppression.

Shit will never hit the fan again. It will just be a foul stench brapping on the face of humanity, forever.

>It's clear I don't have the cash for anything to punch through plate

Wtf do you expect is going to punch through a piece of AR500 steel besides a .50 BMG depending on how thick your plate is. 1/4 inch will easily stop a .308 or 7.62x51. Most civilians won't be running around with ceramic plates either.

This. But if you really want .308, if the rifle is headspaced for both PPU has really inexpensive 7.62x51. It's still like 35% more than 5.56 you'll find though.
Also by I hope you mean slapping steel plates instead of paper targets for a solid ring sounds and not what I think you're implying or >whew

Attached: 1472435502454.jpg (262x263, 9K)

If you can't penetrate armor, you have to make up for it with multiple hits. You need a semi-auto. Another thing to recognize is that AP capability rapidly degrades with range.

Just so you know, the army's M855A1 can penetrate ar500 plates that will stop .308. This ammo is pretty much nonexistant on the civilian market (not the same thing as m855/xm855 you'll see everywhere). But if S does HTF, it'll both be something to worry about and to try to get your hands on. Because if you're using steel plates, it will go right through.

I think y'all are overstating the difference in cost.
Don't forget, a bolt gun is going to shoot a lot slower than an AR, so you're using less ammunition.

> be me
> 60 cent 308
> 40 cent 556
so you're not really saving money, especially if you shoot half as much.
I can have fun for an hour with a box of 308.
a box of 556 doesn't even fill up the magazine.

AND ABOVE ALL else, don't forget:
THE 556 WAS DESIGNED ...
IT WAS DESIGNED TO ...
it was designed to miss. The cartridge is specialized for carrying huge quantities and shooting a ton of suppressive fire.

the 308 is designed to kill.
OP, get a ruger american or savage.
Get a fixed power scope.
Fixed power glass is tougher, lighter-weight and brighter, all else held equal.

ammoseek.com/ammo/5.56x45mm-nato?co=new&ca=brass

>it was designed to miss.
It was designed for the reality that people miss.

>ammoseek.com/ammo/5.56x45mm-nato?co=new&ca=brass

factor in shipping and inconvenience.
Also remember: each round does half as much work (energy)

Too, if he's interested in range, a new bolt gun with passable glass and factory ammo will take him to 5-7 hundred, easy

Idk. Which is why I asked.
Should have known, though.
556, it is.
Ah.
I see what you mean.
Though I'm not Hayha by any means.
(If the fucking captcha would let me post), I'd say being able to put more rounds toward the enemy might be better.
It's cool to think about playing sniper with a 308 but most people will throw as much as they can back. If I can do the same with an ar, a scope and certain ammunition, why bother getting a bolt rifle?
I'm only trying to survive. It seems the best way would be to hit them and not be there when they shoot back.

Hayha was bustin heads at 1-200 m IIRC
the AR is a good rifle for SHTF - light, ubiquitous, easy to repair.
but it is specialized for the type of combat where you get your radio out afterwards and say, "pls mum gib 873 more bullets"

My SHTF dread is not that my small feudal community will be victimized by a squid.
I'm scared of 1 douchebag who knows how to wait, hide and shoot farther than all us.

True.
I've never been wasteful with ammo and I don't intend to be.
I'll be in my area for at least a note two years and two miles is the longest stretch I'll have to deal with outside of that, it's more or less open.
The only way I see to deal with that is to hide.
Getting into a sniping match isn't an option -I don't even have anywhere long enough to shoot.
I don't have access to mortars or anything like.
I'm really limited until I meet my next goal, b/c fml.

Now you're on the right track.

Realistically, having the ability to reach as far as you can see (which 5.56 generally can), and carry/throw enough ammo to suppress is all you really need. You can save up some extra money for a battle rifle but it's only an expensive side-grade as the advantage in range comes at the expense of weight and mobility.

Mobility is going to be very important. If your objective is purely survival, it's best to avoid combat in general as much as possible. Staying light on your feet is a good way of doing that.
You may also find yourself in a situation where walking around with a rifle is liable to draw attention in a way that not being visibly armed wouldn't. You can take the upper off and stuff an AR in a backpack, good luck doing that with most .308 rifles.

Personally I think a good compact handgun is the most important SHTF gun for this reason. In the most likely scenarios, it's both possible and far more important to not draw fire in the first place. You aren't being backed up with infantry, medivac, air support or anything like that. You aren't a soldier, you're on your own. You can't really afford to roll the dice more than absolutely necessary. A rifle is good to have to give you an edge if you have somewhere to store it, but a pistol or really compact gun that you can carry out of sight would be the primary day in/day out weapon.

You can't shoot two miles.
Even people who do shoot two miles, can't shoot two miles, at least not consistently.

Tighten up your imagination.
AR dudes can't hit you at 250m, certainly not at 350.
I read a little fuddlore once and it made sense to me, so I'll repeat it:
"If you're fighting a real military, snipe at ranges between 300 and 600 meters"
"Closer that that, you're gonna get the MG"
"Farther than that, they'll just call in airstrikes."
In a city, you can almost snipe with a grenade anyway.
Swat and police jobs are like 70m ave, iirc.

I guess what I'm saying is, buy the AR or the bolt action idgaf.
It all works good.

But I'd rather snipe AR lads than use my AR to chase a sniper

I paid 240 for my ruger American and 60 for a fixed power scope.
I would spend more next time on the scope, but it holds zero and his what i shoot at

Got a bushmaster for 375.

This guy said a lot i agree with, though.
Folding an AR is comfy.
A handgun is essential for prepping

If i had just one gun, if have a holster for that gun

Every time I see you post I secretly hop you get doxxed and physically assaulted.

you also have to consider the ability of a 7.62/.308 rifle to be used for all kinds of game, there are only a few 5.56 loads that can be used for durr/etc.

.308 can't be used for varmints but nearly anything else and shot from 0-1000y with the right rifle system (given the time, glass, training, etc)).

You could also get 2 rifles - bolt + intermediate Carbine - or a single battle rifle.

I personally think that the man with a single weapons-system and spare parts is infinitely more dangerous than the man with multiple weapons.

This thread has to be a troll or a LARP
>no one this stupid should own a gun
Going to college - can't do his own research
>good luck with your social science degree

Attached: 1537644441263.jpg (1080x1350, 113K)

556/223 should do fine for range for you. Going out to 300m with irons is very doable and honestly how much further do you reasonably expect to shoot? Unless you live in fucking Wyoming 300-500m is plenty of range.

Difference b/t a battle rifle and your standard 'prepper' AR?

Never said I could. Just that that's the extent of the range I'd have to take into account.
300m with an ar:
>youtu.be/XDLA6u424IM
I only initially wanted a 308 b/c I 'should' be able to reach out to 800m, well past what ar guys should be shooting at (and see them more clearly than they see me) but the bolt is always a drawback and I'm not going to be breaking plates so there's no point in trying.

Any anons:
Is there a happy medium that can out range 5.56 (and possibly 7.62 or equal that) in semiauto?
Not the user you were responding to but why?
His advice seems sound.

Battle rifle is semi or full auto rifles chambered for rifle cartridges like .308/30'06/7.62x54r etc.

Common example would be a PTR91, FAL, AR10, M1a, etc.

The actual difference to you is caliber and weight. Battle rifles are heavy. They get even heavier when you add a scope. Battle rifle ammo is heavy. My chestrig loaded up with AK mags is noticeably heavier than when it's loaded up with AR mags. When it's loaded with g3 mags jesus fucking christ.

>Is there a happy medium that can out range 5.56 (and possibly 7.62 or equal that) in semiauto?
Yes, but that comes with its own drawbacks. You can have specialized rounds like .224 valkyrie or various flavors of 6.5. These should outrange and outperform 5.56 and some will perform better at long range than .308. The downside being they wear out barrels pretty fast (not an issue in SHTF I think though, if you manage to fire a thousand rounds and not die good for you). Ammo is expensive, guns are expensive, ammo is harder to find.

If you can't buy steelcase ammunition in Walmart, do not buy that gun.
That's not to say you should buy that type of bullet, but if you can't, the gun is too weird.

Get 308 or 556. Nothing else, unless got want a PCC

>judging rounds based on "work"
>5.56 was designed to miss
Might as well suggest he get a 30-06 then since the .308 was a compromise round too

Wow this thread got savage real quick. Dude save 2k, get a basic bitch four hundo dollerdo aero/anderson ar, a ptr91, and ammo. Mags for the g3 are dirt cheap. Buy 20+. Ar mags might as well grow on trees. Boom, poorfag shtf.

>trusting your life with an over-hyped .22

and to think the same people made fun of the FN 57

Get some m80a1 ERP ammo

Browning AB3

Savages are wal-mart tier shit

>I want a .308 rifle
>fuck you buy an AR, fag

>over-hyped .22

>Not realizing the drastic increase in speed equates to far more hydrostatic damage

Attached: D694E220-798A-430E-9640-096C15F072F2.jpg (267x323, 19K)

This is bait

Attached: C06C6521-5266-4C80-9616-AFA63D670F13.jpg (750x710, 76K)

Holy shit, this is some of the best bait I’ve seen in a long time. 10/10

Attached: E2CF7536-FB60-47BD-B79A-923C63454D92.gif (250x158, 1.99M)

What is with this retarded fantasy that battle rifle fags have that they are going to snipe every humanoid sillhouette they can't even identify at +800m? Not that SHTF will ever happen but it sure as shit isn't going to go down like a round of PUBG.

You can hunt a lot of things with 5.56 once laws don't apply and you're willing to expend a few extra shots because minimizing animal suffering takes a back seat to actual survival.

You are right in that .308 is a better innawoods cartridge, although that benefit only becomes relevant once you are actually innawoods.
This too, don't use wonky calibers that aren't well established. Everything is liable to be scarce, a special snowflake cartridge especially so.
You can probably make a stash last a while if you're conservative because if you're getting into shootouts daily you're probably going to die or find a suitable replacement weapon at some point. But using something common from the get-go is ultimately more convenient than a slight performance boost from using unobtainable meme bullets.
>wal-mart steel-cased .308
Walmart carries Tulammo, I haven't had an issue with their 9mm or .223, but their .308 is hot garbage. I've had catastrophic case head failures with it on 3 different rifles.

They’re neckbeard virgins that never go outside, much less actually have any trigger time. They’re hideous, fat, and not even disgusting women will touch them, so the only outlet of perceived power they have is fantasizing about sniping people next to their war chest of Tabasco Cheez-Its in the midst of some Armageddon.

Attached: 6163DBD2-540B-4D91-926C-E9D42D176B64.png (590x676, 317K)

This is akshully the way to go. when SHTF you use your cheap AR to kill a boomer with a $5000 m1a and then you have both

go with this

I bought mine for $400, its an excellent short barreled rifle.

plates don't even exist. For every 1 squid with plates and NODs there are 32,000 bubbas with a PSA rifle and not even a sling to carry it with.

Im not fat (anymore) but the sniping next to a box of the tabasco cheeze-its sounds nice. The white cheddar one would be pretty dope too

>5.56 was designed to miss

5.56 is the result of NATO members analyzing what won firefights in WW2 and Korea.

Attached: 1297473419838.jpg (400x400, 22K)

>556 was designed to miss

Attached: 6dc.jpg (400x384, 13K)

i'm objectively correct.
They did the numbers and found out missing works great.
so they built a rifle to miss faster for longer and it worked.

but that's not exactly a type of fighting most of us can afford
because we got nobody to hear our SITREP

>.308 was a compromise round too

7.62x51 is an unfucked .276 Pederson

you have not actually done any reading on the development of 5.56

not an argument.
feel free to disagree with me, but your aluminium ad hominem isn't going to win points

Remington.

In shtf an ar is going to be your best bet.

An even better bet is staying out of firefights, and bugging in (depending on location bugging out might be a better option, all while dodging firefights.)

Real curious where OP is also.

hunting in shtf is a meme. within 2 weeks of some shit going down, every hungry bubba and elmer will have shot 95% of the whitetails, waterfowl, squirrels, wabbits, and whatever the hell else you want to hunt once the DNR becomes an afterthought.
If you don't have some food stored and/or the capability to produce your own, you are fucked in any situation that would necessitate hunting.

Attached: IMG_7555.jpg (1280x957, 370K)

Google ammo price. You can't afford guns. Buy 22.

user i see what your trying to do but its just not feasible
556 under the right loads will puncture plates
just get a basic AR build and pile different types of ammo and eventually get something light and handy for duur that you can easily make ammo for like a muzzle loader or shotgun

>40 cent 5.56
Please tell me you don't actually pay this much

Weight is something I have to worry about.
I'm under 6 foot and not a stick but not stacked.
Would a $400 ar (assuming it's not a PSA or Anderson brand) be able to handle higher pressure loads?
The easiest route will be for me to build an AR, get the right optics, ammo and practice with cheap ammo.
>Citation needed.
OP here, Internet is shit.
Yeah, that seems to be the better way to go.

>easiest
maybe, but what's the best?
get good with a 308

>Weight
don't puss out on this.

>higher pressure loads
anybody who buys a 223 gun with the intention to hunt down snowflake loads to make up for the shit ballistics ought to be horsewhipped.
the entire purpose of the rifle was to shoot a lot of bullets, gain initiative, maneuver and use 6 bullets to produce a fatality.
If that isn't what you want to do, you need a different gun