Impractical firearm builds thread. I'll start with mine

Impractical firearm builds thread. I'll start with mine.

Remington 700 action, .308, 30 inch varmint barrel, 4.5-30 scope. GRS sporter stock.

Barrel didn't fit into the photo

Attached: 20181129_151355.jpg (3988x1960, 3.84M)

why

F class competitions

Pretty fuckin cool.

Attached: CIMG1035.jpg (1600x1200, 708K)

Scout AF

>30 inch barrel

This makes me both hard and confused.

What's the purpose? Surely you've passed diminishing returns on velocity by that point, right?

It's for F class, 800m ranges. With HBC 155gr projectiles, and hot loads, this ensures supersonic speeds at 800m whereas shorter barrels (I starter with a 26) have a transonic transition around there, absolutely ruining accuracy.

Also, if you're wondering why not go for a bull barrel, the answer is weight limits imposed by the competitions.

What kind of velocities do you get?

I load to a muzzle velocity of 2950-2970.

(FPS, obviously)

How much does it weigh?

It's an 8kg bare rifle weight limit, 10kg with bipod (but the rifle cant be more than 8kg.). Mine comes in at like, 7kg without the bipod.

1400gram stock, 1040gram scope, 300 gram mount, 4000(ish)gram barrelled action, 1700gram bipod

I've always dreamed of lugging such an impractical thing around with me to go hunting at irresponsible distances. How does this compare to a normal hunting rifle (like a .308 stock R700 with a cheap scope and no bipod)?

A normal r700 is like, 3300-4700grams depending on the stock material and scope

Ah okay, that's not so bad. I thought this was like 3 times as heavy as a normal hunting rifle. I might be able to swing that (someday...)

my other gun is also pretty impractical, but in the opposite direction. It's a browning Maral, a straight pull bolt action. In 9.3x62.

it weights 3200 grams (I don't use a scope on it, as it has excellent sights). Bit more with the sling, but still.

Fires a 200 - 250 grain copper solid (depending on the target animal) at 2600 or 2500ish fps respectively.

Light weight, significant kick.

What animals and terrain? Sounds like either boar or larger grazing animals (Elk)?

Sambar deer, feral boar. One day, feral water buffalo with 250gr brass solids. Haven't wanted to make the 30 hour car trip out yet

Holy shit, are you innaNam? Can you still hear the echoes of the helicopters?

Aussieland

Ah OK, figures they'd have F-class there too

based, i've been wanting to build a prone shooting rifle with a Savage. GRS looks like exactly what I wanted, minus the adjustable riser.

forgive me for saying, but thats one humongous bipod

they're great. Grip is offset, makes light trigger pulls with good placement and follow through a breeze

it's fucking massive, yeah. Heaviest I could get without breaking rules