/KMG/ Jow Forums media general: readers choice edition

/KMG/ Jow Forums media general: readers choice edition.
The purpose of this general is to suggest books, movies, shows and games that have accurate depictions of weapons, tactics and abilities. The goal of this general is to familiarize noguns and underage lurkers with the subject, increase knowledge of existing Jow Forumsommandos and to promote discussion of hypothetical events/tech.
>video games
This list will change as the general continues but the current games often talked about so far are:
Arma 3
Squad
Stalker
Tannenburg/verdun
Day of infamy
Escape from Tarkov
Wargame series
Hearts of iron series
War of rights
Project Reality
Red Orchestra 2
Men of war assualt squad 2
>movies/shows
Some discussed here have been:
Band of Brothers
The Pacific
Lord of war
Generation Kill
Der untergang/downfall
>books
Have had some great recommendations for literature some discussed are:
With the Old Breed
Storm of Steel
One bullet away
Low Level Hell
The 12th SS
The last full measure
One soldiers war
The first and the last
Black Edelweiss
The forgotten soldier
All Quiet on the Western Front
Catch 22
The Things they carried
Dispatches
Blackhawk Down
From door to door
Starship troopers
Across the fence
>please use this general for all media related threads like:
What would Jow Forums stuff be like in ______ universe
What gun did a movie make you want?
Could _______ from movie/game/book be possible?
Name a better Jow Forums movie/book/game.
Any topic based in a movie/show/book universe
Ect

Attached: 1543642072509.jpg (326x499, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/iBWnGUimRBw
youtu.be/0TN68sp-vIw
mega.nz/#F!WMNnALaB!FbKpQ6Hg0iRpbHtL3heOJg
youtube.com/watch?v=PX6RNlU-qu4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Graviteam Tactics is GOAT holy shit.
>playing as Germans
>get into skirmish near a town
>i'm on the west and attacking, the south of the playing area has a small town on the west followed by a valley in the center and a larger town to the east (occupied by commies)
>center of playing area has a forest to the west with a clear section in the middle and forests to the east
>north has is clear and flat in the west (the forest to the south cuts off here) with a road heading east, a crossroad in the middle with another road to the east
>i have two anti-tank gun platoons and three infantry platoons
>the enemy has some infantry in the town (i'd come up against them before) and some other forces
>place first anti-tank gun group on the valley in the south pointing towards the town to remove communist if they try anything
>place infantry platoon inside town on the south as well since there's a victory point there i don't want to lose
>place second anti-tank gun group in the center pointing towards the forest to the east since I'm fairly certain the enemy is going to attack from there to take the crossroads to the north (another victory point)
>also take one anti-tank gun from this group and place it in the north sector pointing south to cover the crossroads
>second infantry platoon has been stationary for a while so it can dig foxholes, i place this in the center along with the anti-tank guns
>third infantry platoon i place on the crossroads to protect that

>battle starts
>for some reason i have air support as well
>sit around for a few minutes doing nothing, nobody sees anything, stukas fly in circles
>eventually people are spotted near and in the town so the anti-tank guns fire into buildings and at scattered enemy infantry
>a few stukas drop bombs at groups of like 4 or 5 men
>a few buildings get bombed because the enemy was taking cover in them
cont

Okay guys what music is Jow Forums approved

>move north infantry group slightly into the forest to the east to take out some lone infantry that appeared there (i assume this isn't the actual attack)
>one anti-tank gun from the south group is taken out somehow (in the after battle viewer it turns out it was taken out by a PTRD from the soviet anti-tank platoon in the town, the same one that lost like half of it's men from the initial stuka attacks on the buildings)
>considering that there's basically no fire coming from the town and the infantry in the north are shooting retarded 13 year old communists i decide to move the south infantry group east through the valley to attack the west side of the town
>then the attack i was expecting in the center arrives
>it doesn't go west like i planned, it goes northwest and smashes into my north infantry platoon killing like half of it in a few minutes
>shit
>the anti-tank guns in the center can't shoot because of terrain masking
>the anti-tank gun north of the crossroads can't shoot because of the forest
>contemplate moving the center infantry out of their foxholes but decide against it
>the stukas are doing quite well, they've taken out some sparse enemy units north of the town but nothing significant
>it later turned out that these were from an engineer platoon
>once the south infantry arrives in the town they discover that the place is pretty much empty, only one PTRD squad seems to be there, crouched inside a building, with the rest of the town deserted
>there are some suspected infantry positions to the northeast which makes me very nervous
>the problem though is that by this point most of the stukas are gone and the PTRD squad is picking off my soldiers
>within a few minutes half of the fucking platoon is gone and the other half won't follow my orders
>i move it south to try and flank the PTRD cunts but then decide to retreat since there's no stopping that shit without artillery
(i should mention in the last battle there were 3 infantry platoons there)

Never heard of it but I like the story

Has anyone read this book? I just finished it and want to know what others thought of it

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (655x1000, 50K)

>in the north things are not going well
>the lone anti-tank gun is now firing into the tangled mess of soviet and german soldiers fighting over the crossroads, there's a group of maybe 30 enemy soldiers peeking out of the forest and getting btfo by my anti-tank guns, and the center infantry platoon can't see shit
>move the center infantry out of their foxholes and order them northeast to take back the crossroads
>by the time they're halfway there the north infantry group is reduced to one man running back to the reich with spaghetti filled shell casings falling out of his pants and the commie infantry are still going strong
>some stukas are doing gunruns once every few minutes but most of them are gone
>move an anti-tank gun from the center group east so it can see shit
>it gets a few shots off but isn't very effective
>the lone anti-tank gun gets taken out (F)
>by the time the center infantry platoon gets to the crossroads the soviets have offered a ceasefire and i take it not wanting further losses
>i end up losing the crossroads but keeping the south, with about 100 casualties out of ~200 men initially
>the soviets took more than that but they had 300 men to begin with
>in the after battle viewer it's clear that i lost because i wasn't bold enough
>the town was protected by the PTRD squad alone, the soviets had more infantry in the center but they wouldn't have been able to see me if i took the entire town with that squad (funnily enough by rolling through the suspected infantry positions, made up of a few engineers eating borscht)
>most of the enemy infantry got fucking destroyed in the forest near the crossroads somehow, i suspect it was from a mix of the lone anti-tank gun, the stuka gunruns, and one or two bombs dropped near the start
>easily 80 men in all laid dead there side by side
Try this game out if you like real time strategy. It's great.

Sounds glorious user but you need to be a predator. Take it to the enemy

Attached: 1543490782630.jpg (480x691, 61K)

Stop posting your general every few hours, holy shit.

Fuck off faggot we dont need a separate thread for rehashed video game and star wars discussions every day

I just got European Escalation because of the discussion on yesterday's /kmg/. Someone help

Attached: header_5bZ2j39-460x215.jpg (460x215, 27K)

Also did that user ever get war of rights?

Attached: images (5).jpg (299x168, 9K)

Oh man that's a tough loss, how did that ptrd squad survive that long?

We shouldn't be having video game/star wars threads here anyway.

What is your point? Unless the mods want to remove them we need a containment thread.

I'll second this, I'm going to get red dragon

Attached: 1544125353635m.jpg (1024x640, 134K)

Also I do one every day/fee days depending how long it goes

The infantry platoon split in half as it was crossing the valley, one half was on the west side trying to provide covering fire and the other half was on the east side getting lit up. By the time everyone was in the town the platoon commander was dead, half of the squads were at least 50% attrited, and none of them wanted to move. There were only four or five people at any time capable of firing on the PTRD squad and I guess the building just took the fire.

I don't know how the building model in this game works but I'm guessing that it provides blanket cover for all units inside it. It isn't like a 100% detailed model with walls, it's a building model with units kinda clipped inside it. Maybe I just don't know how to fight units in buildings yet and that's why the squad survived.

PTRDs are terrifying.

>They have taken the Bridge and the Second Hall. We have barred the gates, but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes... Drums. Drums in the deep. We cannot get out. A Shadow moves in the dark... We cannot get out... They are coming.

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 128K)

Oh for sure sounds like your boys got chewed up by that thing

Anyone seen this?

Attached: D85A5EC3-E49A-423B-948F-EB3D5EC6EE1E.jpg (400x595, 68K)

No what is it about

Does anyone know where I can watch this?

Attached: Screen-Shot-2017-12-14-at-13.21.53.jpg (998x985, 53K)

God damn LOTR quotes are/k/omfy

Yes. It's really good.

Documentary/snuff film by some Italians about the decolonisation of Africa in the 60s. Lots of footage of people and animals being killed. You can find the whole thing on Youtube and should really watch it, as long as you can stomach gruesome scenes.

>one bullet away
Oh man, I just finished that one two weeks ago.
Excellent book, and was a solid followup to reading the reporter's version of events in Generation Kill.

Attached: Marines Kill on Three.jpg (3200x2400, 2.73M)

I can stomach most things if presented virtually so I should be okay and thanks for the reccomendation user.

I did too! Haven't read generation kill yet but I really liked fick's book. Also his reason for joining was very similar to mine (although my parents talked me out of it)

Anyone read this? I'm about to start it but it looks like an undertaking

Attached: photo-0008.jpg (620x827, 156K)

Why do you sperg out about this thread so much? Are you the same user from yesterday?

Nominating Signal Zero by George Kirkham
>Criminology professor called out by student for being out of touch academic
>ends up becoming beat cop in the ghetto
Also nominating Forever War by Joe Haldeman
>alternate timeline humanity begins colonization of space
>run into ayys
>begin war with ayylmaos
>somewhat realistic depiction of spaceborne warfare at reletavistic speeds
>go out to a battle
>7 months subjective time
>a hundred years have passed back on Earth

I keep considering adding never war but many Jow Forumsommandos were against it a few weeks ago. Also does the student who calls that guy out have a good argument? Now I'm interested.

Adding this book.

Attached: 51XIEarFJqL._SX303_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (305x499, 36K)

I have a copy, haven't read it, but I'm part way through his "World Order" which he wrote as a much older man. Damn intelligent even then. I look forward to reading it.

I like a media general. Any decent blog recommendations?

Yeah it really makes you realize there are very intelligent people at the top making difficult decisions that make them look stupid to the uninformed general public.

I'll second this, blogs or podcasts would be nice

Its already on the list but good pick user

what help do you need?

Recommending Orphanage by Brian Buettner for k sci-fi. It's a series but I haven't read the rest.
>tfw you will never operate a mg and gun down hordes of space bugs on the deserts of the Titan moon

>shooting bugs

Attached: 1de.gif (627x502, 940K)

> that scene were they are going to get murdered by lynch mob
> sombody yells "Dont kill them they are not white! They are Italian!"

my side

Jesus christ

Fucking kek

Attached: DqTTFgzX4AciL6v.jpg (474x591, 46K)

Its almost too bad those countries didn't go the way American colonialization went.

We need a Jow Forums booklist infographic.

Attached: 1542969103039.jpg (1660x1125, 243K)

Any chance we could add this one to the video game list? I understand it's pretty difficult to even get it to run on PCs nowadays but I feel it's a simpler version of wargame while still being a blast.

Attached: 220px-Wic-win-cover.jpg (220x273, 23K)

I'll look into it user, tell me more.

Anyone know a good youtuber?

Attached: 516447306.jpg (1200x409, 39K)

It's a real time strategy game where the cold war goes hot. Campaign sees the Americans trying to fight off a Soviet invasion through Seattle, maps include ones set in France, Russia, New York, the US heartland, and of course Seattle. You get to use all the cold war tech all the way up to the 90s and you can call in fire support from mortars to A10s to carpet bombings, to a nuke (which honestly isn't as spectacular as it should be). The trailers we're in my opinion some of the best I've seen, youtu.be/iBWnGUimRBw

Attached: 17146.jpg (1280x1024, 387K)

Doesn't look bad user

Wargame is extremely Jow Forums but Red Dragon is the only one with an active multi-player community (still has significantly more player than Steel Division despite being almost 5 years old)

The expansion was also pretty cool as it let's you play as the society in the campaign and included some new maps like Berlin. The trailer was also pretty dope, youtu.be/0TN68sp-vIw

It's pretty fun, again, it's a dumbed down version of wargame so its not the most realistic in a sense but it's a lot easier to get into. It's just a shame it can't run 30 minutes without shuttering and the fact that we'll likely never get a sequel

That's crazy and good to hear thay it is Jow Forums

That is... unfortunate

Looking for a christmas present for my dad.
He's a hunter and really likes the African safari / colonial setting.
I've been thinking about pic related. Anyone read it?
Some suggestions would be very nice, too.

Attached: 51C935QAZAL._SX301_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (303x474, 25K)

I mean, it's an autisticlly detailed Cold War RTS with everything from militia squads in trucks to Nighthawks and Burratinos. There's nothing else like it. It's also a visually beautiful game.

Problem is that Eugen, the developer, has completely abandoned the series to focus on Steel Division (and now SD2), which is generally regarded by the community as inferior to Wargame.

Attached: ea6de5d-2.jpg (1920x1080, 301K)

The student was a beat cop taking educational leave. He had an issue with the professor claiming that policework attracts violent authoritarian types and his counterpoint was that policework causes individuals to develop these traits.

Here, have the GoG version of World in Conflict (with expansion).

mega.nz/#F!WMNnALaB!FbKpQ6Hg0iRpbHtL3heOJg

Autisticly detailed Is always/k/, what should I get? Red dragon?

Very interesting, thank you user.

If you want to play multi-player, Red Dragon is your choice. Be warned, though, the learning curve is extremely steep. 10v10 lobbies are a good place to learn since even if you fuck up theres 9 other people to help carry (or just 9 other retards to get stomped with).

I haven't played EE or ALB, but I'm told they have better single player campaigns, especially EE.

Naval is also generally regarded as poorly implemented in Red Dragon but it's not a big issue as most maps are heavily focused on land.

Read all until the feminist one. Also the guy is a sjw. First books are good tho.

Not that user but I have EE, I haven't played much because the singleplayer is pretty rough. I'm considering red dragon but we will see.

I dont know if I can handle that then

Word, yeah I mean I played a lot of RD campaign before diving into multiplayer. It was ok but the AI is absolutely retarded. All it does is zerg rush you endlessly. It literally becomes a game of tower defense and attrition, or just hunting the AI command units with helos.

Ah gotcha, I didn't like the AI in EE because they have more then you always and you cannot surprise them or really flank. Its easier to just blob.

Yeah, I don't think they updated the AI much. They do always have more units than the prebattle overview indicates, and the AI knows where all your units are. So they just fast move trains of units direct at you.

The AI is also frustratingly good at keeping their helos juuuuuuust outside of your AA range.

That's frustrating, how is the multiplayer?

Anyone have any good documentaries?

Attached: 1542996874200.jpg (2827x2864, 1011K)

surprisingly, the tank documentary on netflix right now is solid.

Really? Okay I'll check it out

it's in french, so you'll need subtitles but they actually interview soviet commanders, british tank historians, a hungarian tank commander. I went in with low expectations but it's the best military documentary I've seen in a long time.

That's amazing and yeah that wont bother me as long as it's good and not the same "muh t34 muh Abrams muh rommel"

The multiplayer is fuckin amazing once you crest the learning curve. I pretty much just play Red Dragon and Rising Storm 'Nam these days. Joining a teamspeak community is also highly recommended.

Hmm I'll have to watch some videos then, rising storm is meh to me though.

Look up Razzman and Firestarter on YouTube, and check out the Plebbits for r/Wargame and r/Wargamebootcamp

I remember this. I got the collector's edition with the small piece of the Berlin Wall. I had to play it on my old laptop which was only just powerful enough to run the game on minimum settings. Still remember it being fun as fuck though once I got used to used to the gimmick.

Netflix's Medal of Honor series is pretty good. Also, Africa Addio, it's borderline snuff, but absolutely eye opening about a lot of the shit that went on in Africa back in the day.

With all the interest in Wargame recently maybe we should start a Jow Forums discord to help new kommandos learn to play?
And it to the list its got a Jow Forumsomfy campaign with actual characters. The multiplayer doesn't exist anymore but I fire it up every now and again because the story is so good.

Thanks user!

I'm going to watch this after work its weird that it's been mentioned twice in this thread

Maybe, its hard to tell if its just a few anons or a bunch

The History of the World in 100 weapons. Covers weapons from 5000 bc to current day. Great pictures and not political at all. ISBN number 1472803469

The War on Guns.
>inb4 Jow Forums
Super political but a great read. ISBN number 1621575802

I'll look into it thanks for the isbns

What are some non 3D games that do gunplay in a good immersive way with cover and whatnot and have you playing as a single person rather than commanding groups of people? I'm asking because I've been curious lately about how one would go about making a good immersive game with guns that wasn't your normal modern first person or third person shooter.

>What gun did a movie make you want?
Jurassic park, Spas 12

Attached: snow spas.jpg (5184x3456, 2.92M)

This war of mine is the only thing close I can think of and you're a neverserved in it.

Never understood why I always wanted one

Saving private Ryan, Thompson

Attached: lead_720_405.jpg (720x405, 96K)

The manual of arms is pants on head retarded. It can't cycle low brass in auto loader mode. By all means, it;s a bad shotgun. But, it's politically significant, culturally significant and mechanically significant. Plus, it just looks bad ass.

Attached: spas.jpg (4160x2340, 2.7M)

>Red Orchestra 2 by TWI
>Made by the company that literally bans people for referencing WWII
>The game where historical accuracy is literally shat on for the sake of making the game more appealing to normies
>The game that promised major updates to fix playability but only years after when the game was already dead (Muh Killing Floor 2)
>The company that banned people for pointing out the PPS-42 was a Leningrad prototype and was nowhere near Stalingrad

>RO2
>Jow Forums

Nope

Attached: 1355361406613.jpg (338x310, 33K)

Black Hawk Down, m249

Attached: 164072472-black-hawk-down-wallpapers.jpg (1920x1080, 256K)

>Like all games except squad and arma
At least it isnt RS2 or sandstorm

listen to what you like, faggot. Troye Sivan's pretty good, though

youtube.com/watch?v=PX6RNlU-qu4

I do, but I want Jow Forums songs

I need a game to replace RO2

Attached: 5-1024_2809.jpg (1024x576, 48K)