Save up, bois. Cheap surplus 5.56 soon

Save up, bois. Cheap surplus 5.56 soon

militarytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/12/10/more-than-a-rifle-how-a-new-68mm-round-advanced-optics-will-make-soldiers-marines-a-lot-deadlier/

Attached: 223-rem-5-56-rifle-round-ammo-keepsake-urns-741.jpg (720x720, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

soldiersystems.net/2018/10/04/161298/
armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/05/08/armys-next-squad-weapon-will-fire-a-never-before-seen-ammo-combination/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't believe for 1 second that the military is actually going to switch to 6.8 anytime in the near future.

With St. Mattis, Patron Saint of the Infantry, anything is possible. I want to believe, if only for the purpose of saving some cash.

A 68mm round?

So semi Auto Carl Gustav's??

Ron Cohen has a tremendous value proposition for a new modular system for the advanced warfighter. It will be a complete system solution.

Should I forego my 5.56 build and go for a 6.8 ar?

Nothing will come of this. Either .gov will balk at how much this is all gonna cost to gear up for the new round, or they're going to walk away when they discover how quickly 6.8 will start burning out barrels.

Woah, we went almost a week without having this thread! Amazing!

Anyhow, we hear about this all the time, and nothing ever comes of it nor will it this time. At most, some SOCOM operators will get some 6.8 guns and maybe - just *maybe* 7.62 x 51 will get replaced sometime before your hair is grey, but 5.56 will be the standard infantry round a hundred years from now, and anyone who thinks differently is a gullible idiot.

Don't think so. 6.8 won't be cheap for civilians for a while. 5.56 will drop due to surplus, and you meme on lefties who try to question any large acquisition by saying some dumb stuff like "well 5.56 doesn't go through police and military body armor like what tue Army uses, so I can't be an ebil babby killer" or something equally retarded fudd shit

They've been entertaining the idea since 6.8 became a thing. They have tests about every year to entertain private contractors and budget people. The only thing you're going to see come out of this is maybe a dmr and that's pushing it.

The amount of resources and time they've poured into the cased telescoped round is on another level. This is one of those times where switching calibers AND guns makes sense since CT ammo needs an unconventional extraction system.

even if they did adopt a new cartridge- and the odds of that are very low- they'd rather dump all their ammo in a hole than surplus it to dirty civis

Considering the massive modernization push the entire DoD is going for from the SecDef all the way down, there's reason to believe there's a good chance it'll happen this time, especially with all the data of the deficiencies of 5.56 in Afghanistan as well as against modern armor. If you read the article, you'd know only infantry are getting it, everyone else is still going to be using 5.56.

ptchu glahssez ahn!

This, with the addition that we'll probably see them dick around with the bullet composition of 5.56 for shits and giggs. Hopefully they'll come out with an alternative to M855A1 that doesn't eat dicks and damage rifles.

Shhh-
Let a man dream.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Yup. 10% better or even twice as good isn't enough to justify the cost of a large institution changing platforms. It has to be ten times as good to make it worth it, and 6.8 isn't.

Wall Street trading still runs on enterprise-grade 14.4 modems that were installed when trading first went digital back in the early 90s because they still work fine and downtime costs millions of dollars a minute, so even a weekend's worth of potential disruption to get new equipment up and running just wouldn't be worth it. They'll run them until they can't anymore, which won't be anytime in the next 50 years at least. That's how it is with big institutions. Change just isn't worth the cost and disruption unless it's exponentially better.

It's worse in ever fucking way than 6.5 Grendel, which is worse overall than 5.56, when will America stop the MIC?

Attached: 1530567726477.jpg (511x392, 37K)

>especially with all the data of the deficiencies of 5.56 in Afghanistan as well as against modern armor
All of which would be fixed by 1) getting out of Afghanistan and 2) going back to 20" barrels, like 5.56 was designed for.

Man, I wish I had a dollar for every thread posted here by a retard who though something substantial was going to come from a military "We better use this money or lose it" scheme.

Everyone said the same thing about Land Warrior, yet here we are, and Infantry units are going to be issued fully functional systems next year that look like they were taken straight from Ghost Recon.

5.56mm is here to stay until a paradigm shift happens. Until we have some revolutionary new technology like caseless telescoping electrically primed ammo the benefits are too small to warrant the switch.

Nothing is going to happen until the LSAT program actually manages to be usable and reliable.

Same reason so many comapnies still run Windows 7 or Windows Me etc. The cost of switching all their PCs, making all the macros for the new versions of Excel, training all the retarded secretaries to use it etc. isn't worth it. Excel 2002 does the job just fine.

>20" barrels
Which would mean going back to the M16 . Hard pass.

The way it's worded makes it sound like it's already coming out.

Really a bad comparrison.

A bullpup makes 20" a lot more feasible. A tavor with a 18" barrel is the same overall length as an AR with like a 10" barrel. Not saying I like the Tavor. But I do think a better bullpup could be made.

Attached: Tavor-and-AR-pistol1-e1416417544662.jpg (640x480, 126K)

It always does. Year after year, press release after press release. "We swear this time we mean it!!!"

Well, there's no better time to do it. We're technically in peacetime, even by GWOT standards, and the military is receiving much needed budget increases. Not only that, but Its exponentially cheaper to equip every single Infantryman with a new set of weapons and ammo than it is to acquire all these fancy gadets for the air force and Navy.

Then I'll start digging

As if buying expensive unnecessary gold-plated whoosh-boomers for the Air Force and Navy wasn't the entire fucking point of the MIC. And if you really think new weapons and ammo would be cheaper, then you simply don't understand logistics.

I hope the military adopts a 6.8 cartridge. The bullet diameter on 6.8 is the same as 270 Win, so maybe American ammo makers will start loading 270 that's actually worth a damn, because right now the only people I can find making accurate 270 are foreign.

Small arms accounts for a small % of the kills in modern warfare. It makes far more sense to devote the $ to air strikes like bombers, fighters, and drones, and artillery. That is what the majority of kills are made with. 5.56mm is just fine for pinning the enemy down until the air strike or artillery strike arrives.

So are they talking about scaling up the 6.5 CT round from the LSAT slightly? Surely they wouldn't be dumb enough to switch to 6.8 SPC right before LSAT is ready. R-right?

ITT: anons with no idea how surplus works or what the Army is doing with its 6.8mm magnum rifle

It's not any 6.8mm round you can currently get a hold of. Last I saw, it was a telescoping cased 120gr copper projo at 75,000 - 100,000 PSI designed to slip through armor out to 600m. Think .270 Weatherby Magnum at 3400 - 3500fps.

soldiersystems.net/2018/10/04/161298/
armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/05/08/armys-next-squad-weapon-will-fire-a-never-before-seen-ammo-combination/

kek

XM1186 has a 135gr projectile

>6.8mm magnum
wouldn't that literally just be 270 Win all over again?

Neat. I still want to know how the fuck they're going to get that past 3000fps out of a 16" carbine on full auto. Either the break on that thing is going to blow out windows or we're going long recoil somehow.

This whole thing is as likely to happen as the Franklin Armory Reformation

Attached: Omega-22.jpg (2000x1333, 59K)

I don't think that's going to cut it on recoil reduction, and their manual says nothing shorter than a 20" barrel on .300 Win Mag, which is only 64K PSI.

You could try it, but you'd probably just be the first guy to get a kill with either a sheered baffle or the entire fucking suppressor after it stripped the barrel threads. Either way, I say go for it.

> 75-100k PSI
Even if you pull that off, what the fuck happens when you get a squib or an overcharged round makes it out of Lake City?

Heil Mattis, full of malice
blessed are though among crayoneaters
and blessed is the shrapnel of thy bomb, OORAH
Holy Mattis, MOAB
pray for our ordinance,
now and as long as it's delivered by Navy aviators
Amen

Attached: they-will-make-sure-its-a-bullpup-design-too.jpg (491x279, 34K)

I don't see how a mil spec AR bolt is supposed to handle that reliably. They sheer lugs with heavy use as it is already using normal 5.56mm.

>the first guy to get a kill with either a sheered baffle or the entire fucking suppressor after it stripped the barrel threads
Oh fuck my sides

Ohnonono, you're going to summon all those people who are irrationally allergic to bullpups...

Lucky for you that already exists.

Attached: cCVXd.gif (432x436, 342K)

> Franklin Armory Reformation
> No Mans Sky
> Star Wars episode 1
What else am I missing?

Ehh,
While a lot would go to arming the other branches of government, law enforcement, and foreign allies, don't discount the possibility of them selling it to fellow Americans, especially if the defense budget starts getting questioned

How good are Styers?

It's not going to used with an M4. It's a completely new system.

Attached: ngsar.jpg (1199x900, 235K)

Best bullpup 41 years running.

Technically correct, but really a meaningless statement.

My question, what actual bullet diameter are they toying with? "6.8" isn't very precise.

>Solid machined rounds at stupid high velocities incoming

Scarier than that: You eject a hangfire.

>CMP AR's

>winning the Special Olympics

.277, same as the 6.8 SPC and the .270 Win.

That's over 7mm, but okay.

>Small arms accounts for a small % of the kills
Maybe because they don't spend anywhere enough on small arms tech and on support systems for the men carrying them?

>Maybe because they don't spend anywhere enough on small arms tech and on support systems for the men carrying them?
No, it's because small arms just don't mean that much in combat, especially for American tactics.

Wait, they're seriously calling it the SCOPE program?

Attached: XEU_SCOPE.png (297x173, 63K)

>especially for American tactics.
There's your problem. Insanely inefficient and ridiculous American """tactics""". We can do better. Hopefully that's the rationale that these generals and eggheads are going for; that infantry can do better and can defeat their opponents with bullets rather than having to sit on their ass until millions of dollars of bomb are dropped.

It's really embarrassing to have to spend that much on killing a bunch of goat herders with AKs so often. It will be even more embarrassing if a fight with an actual global power occurs and air superiority could not be guaranteed.

Hence why the Mattis and the Army are pushing for a radical restructuring and modernization of infantry forces. Infantry training hasn't changed a whole lot since the 60s. Meanwhile, despite being lesser funded, equipped and trained, the Russians are fighting in the 21st century, as evidenced by the conflict in Ukraine.

This is why there's the huge push towards a new rifle and calber, integrated Augmented Reality systems, newer and better armor, drones and electronic/cyber warfare elements attached to BCTs, etc.

>Wall Street trading still runs on enterprise-grade 14.4 modems
No they don't

Under 7mm

>Wall Street trading still runs on enterprise-grade 14.4 modems that were installed when trading first went digital back in the early 90s
>I dont know anything about trading, and i've certainly never heard of high velocity trades
why dont you quit posting for a while, kid. you're embarrassing yourself.

Yeah you keep thinking that Elmer. Just like how you pretend we're still issuing the M14 as standard

Oh they'll just use a "high pressure chamber", why didn't I think of that?

Why not both?

Attached: Msbskandmsbsb.jpg (800x492, 94K)

>Ron Cohen has a tremendous value proposition for a new modular system for the advanced warfighter. It will be a complete system solution.
Believing (((Cohen))) when he says he has something to sell you.

.277" * 25.4 = 7.0358 mm

I believed once. About 15 years ago.