Jow Forums Recommends Bolts and BCGs

So I am building my first AR. I have assembled ARs before for my dad but never my own. Anyway I wanted to know what you guys recommend for Bolts and such.

Build so far:
LMT CQB upper 16 in barrel
LMT iron sights
Generic charging handle.
Lower TBD

Attached: Fail Zero nb bolt carrier 62617.jpg (900x443, 153K)

BCM has a great reputation

Yeah i have heard good things.

thoughts on Faxon BCGs ?

Faxon makes good shit. I like how they will test the headspace for free on any bolt and barrel you buy from them at the same time. Not that quality barrels and bolts fail headspace tests very often, but it is a nice touch that they offer it.

Buy tool craft. cheaper, and they are the oem for a large portion of the company selling their "own" bcgs.

Hmmm, Didn't know that. interesting.

Looking at them now. They offer 9310 Steel and Carpenter 158 options. What are some pros and cons of those?

For BCG: toolcraft. I prefer their nitrided ones. As good as you can get besides actual gucci ones with real design enhancements.
For lower get an LMT defender if you want a traditional lower. If you want to spend more for an ambi, get an LMT mars lower.
I actually just did essentially the same build.

Where can i get a toolcraft BCG? i dont see them on their website.
As for LMT, did you get one from the brownells deal?

Can't go wrong with either from toolcraft but I prefer c158 since it is the tried and true mil spec. If done properly, 9310 can be like 5-10% harder but I think it's mostly negligible.

Can't remember about toolcraft, but I got a nitrided one for like 90 bucks a few months ago, you should find one easily through google.
The lmt stripped lowers are priced very well from tombstone tactical. Do you want stripped or complete?

it really doesn't matter.

I got the upper back when it was $699 from brownells deal.

Check out tombstone tactical for LMT stripped lowers, you'll have to look elsewhere for complete (that i'm aware of)

I impulse bought a titanium lightweight BCG from brownells. Still has a steel bolt, but the Titanium BCG is like 50% the weight of mil spec BCG
>Lightweight BCGs reduce reliability
I'm compensation by making my buffer heavier. Same effective weight of the cycling mass of the BCG+Buffer, but I'm moving about 6 OZ of weight several inches rearward in the gun so the gun will be less front heavy. Lighter than the skeletonized steel BCGs numerous brands sell, but this still has the normal dimensions of a mil spec BCG so unless somebody told you it was Titanium you would never know anything was special about it unless you picked it up and felt the weight. The machining is flawless.

Autistic I know, but I was able to get it for under $200 on black friday sale, normally $300. Still on sale but $260 today.

Attached: p_078000408_2.jpg (400x400, 11K)

Toms tactical has a great nitrided Toolcraft bcg price. It's 9310 and like $75 bucks. It's where I got mine and it has been superb.

That seems like a pretty cool and effective idea, you could also get a stronger recoil spring if the buffer weight alone isn't enough. Still, that is a gucci bcg and quite a bit of money.

Yeah it was a total impulse buy. I have been drooling over gucci BCGs for like 4 years. Titanium ones were always like $400. When I saw a titanium one for just under $200 I clicked buy without even hesitating. No regrets.

I too sometimes autistically drool over fancy bcgs, coatings, gun oils, etc lol

I got it for 599

I got it for 530 with a coupon.

Well i technically got 15 off of the 599 with a code and free shipping so it wasnt too bad. better than the 1300 that want normally.

>Lower TBD
Get a LMT MARS to go with the LMT upper. The MARS is nice. Ambidextrous mag release and bolt catch. You already got a gucci upper, go balls to the wall and get a gucci lower that matches the upper.

But my stripped PSA lower was flawless and $59 after taxes and FFL fee. No complaints. However you might be damned to hell for putting a LMT upper on a PSA lower.

Oh i fully intend to get a LMT lower, but i will throw it on a lower in the mean time.

I like Spikes or Fail Zero NiB BCGs. IIRC they are same parts just with different logos. NiB is not necessary by any means, but it does make them pretty much wipe clean. Unless I know I'm going back out again soon, I clean my rifles after each range trip. I don't mind spending a little extra cash for the coating because I can spend less time cleaning.

I've used Del-Ton's mid length 16" bbl carbine uppers on 2 builds, and they shot sweet. They have the Carpenter 158 bcg, no ftf with 5;56 55gr, NATO food.

Now looking at my cheapest build, complete kit from Del-Ton (sans stripped lower, rear sight, and mag, ordered this morning) for $299 shipped, and picked up an MBUS and ATI MilSport forged stripped lower at my lgs yesterday for less than $100.

Never worked with an ATI lower before, other builds were with S&W, Aero, and Anderson, but my choice was a Ruger for $90 or the ATI for $48, and I bit on the ATI. Very clean cuts, excellent finish, and it just jumped into my pile at the register.

Anyone else build with an ATI aluminum lower?