Barrel molded straight into plastic

>barrel molded straight into plastic
LMAO HK niggers can't be for real

Attached: 1544843822227.jpg (1500x1125, 407K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cdn.netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/2014-03-13_BMVg-G36-Genese.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=iTbTyFloelc
heckler-koch.com/en/products/military/assault-rifles/g36/g36/overview.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

H&K made like 3 good guns and that's it.

That's actually a really cool idea if you were trying to make a Highpoint brand AR or something.

why couldn't they use a trunnion system like a ak, that might actually work because the sights wouldn't shift because they wouldn't depend on the poly receiver not flexing under heat

What gun?

Well it works just fine and is lighter.

>Well it works just fine
No, it doesn't.

Because nowadays you need a rail on the top of a gun, a mere trunnion ain't enough. They should have just made the upper out of extruded aluminum like everybody does nowadays, they still could have made everything else, lower, stock, handguard, mags etc. out of plastic if they've got such a plastic boner.

>if losing zero in a firefight is "fine"

>Well it works just fine
wrong, sights lose zero before the soldier is even halfway through his mags
>is lighter
also wrong
AK74 wood and steel, mere 3,07kg
G36 plastic travesty 3,63kg

holy shit, i bet my wasr in russian wood weighs less

Oh Jesus here we go again.
It has been disproven.
The Bundeswehr and Ernst-Mach institute did thorough research and found out that the of lack of precision happened because of shitty ammo. The Bundeswehr gets it's ammo from different manufacturers and the batch the soldiers had with them was bottom tier garbage.
The projectiles were nickel-plated and the plating had varying thickness, altering the trajectory of the projectiles.
This was all a media farce.

fucking hell

Attached: 5a514af4c2cc0bd317158f99b57d82e8.png (1277x665, 141K)

Post source.

>This gives the user a lightweight weapon
>The G36 is ideally suited for dismounted infantry operations. For optimal handling, weight,
>light weight
this shit makes me irrationally angry

Attached: 435c44fe8b07cb2d48d751a348f8f102.png (575x61, 2K)

cdn.netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/2014-03-13_BMVg-G36-Genese.pdf

youtube.com/watch?v=iTbTyFloelc

Fuck off, even fucking wikipedia says that if the gun's temp changes by 30C° it loses accuracy
>The report was released by the Fraunhofer Ernst Mach Institut (EMI) and Wehrtechnische Dienststelle 91 (WTD91) on 19 April 2015. According to their 372-page report, the observed hit rate of the predominantly plastic weapon with the unsupported free-floating barrel drops down to a mere 7% at 100 meters when the temperature increases by 30 °C (86 °F) or more

yeah sure it works but that doesn't matter at all when it can't fucking hit what you're aiming at.

Wrong incident retard.

That report is from a full year before the story broke about the G36 shitting the bed at rather mild temperatures.

Using polymer for major components of service rifles was a mistake.

The barrel isn't set straight into the polymer. There is a trunnion. You can see it in this pic.

Complete bullshit and political grandstanding. 30 °C is fucking nothing. The receiver is made of polymer, not ice. If this was actually true, it would have been discovered long before in the multiple decades of use before now.

Attached: clear.png (1023x768, 1.46M)

Only major components where polymer shouldn't be used are the obvious ones like the barrel and then everything that must not expand when heated. So basically imo everything other than the upper, bolt, gas piston etc. can very well be made out of plastics. In fact if you manage to attach the sights to the barrel with metal and have the expansion of polymer not affect the sights you could easily make the upper out of polymer as well.

The regular G36 also has a 18.9in barrel and pretty hefty dual optic.

So the gun is shit and the ammo is shit. Swell job on defense there m8

Yeah a trunnion, ie. a cm of steel that conducts heat extremely well, woah it's fucking nothing, it's irrelevant.
>Complete bullshit and political grandstanding. 30 °C is fucking nothing. The receiver is made of polymer, not ice. If this was actually true, it would have been discovered long before in the multiple decades of use before now.
I don't care what fucking magic thermoset polymer you've got it's gonna have a crazy coefficient of thermal expansion compared to steel or aluminum

Attached: b3e36cc9c0296a045a6bf9f22ca8f0db.png (749x336, 19K)

A service rifle's main purpose is getting the shit beat out of it for 30 years while they never get any regularly scheduled parts replacement.

If specifically designed like a SCAR, poly lowers are okay, but there is no reason not to use shit like forged or extruded aluminum on stuff where the operating mechanism is housed so you can actually fix the gun, trunnion in polymer sounds like a recipe for disaster if you handed them to our crayon eaters and had them in service as long as we tend to.

Not seeing an optic here lad, and yet the weight is specified as 3,630 g

Attached: G36A11_re.png (740x229, 140K)

>this is a 3k rifle that probably cost 50$ to make

Dude as a good example the g36 is a durable gun, that trunnion ain't going anywhere, it's molded in the tight with a lot of surface area contact. The mistake those dumb fuckers at HK made was attaching the sights to the plastic, if they had figured out a way to attach the sights straight to the trunnion there wouldn't be an issue, plastics in general are really though when we aren't talking about children's toys.
If i were to design a gun i would probably split the upper in half and have the top half attach to the trunnion/barrel extension and have the picatinny rail on top, everything else, plastics.

Attached: ZJnX1hq-660x495.jpg (660x495, 49K)

So please explain to me how these guns functioned perfectly fine for decades without issue and now the problem suddenly pops up when Ursula von der Cunt decides she needs to make a name for herself.

If you look at the wiki page where you got those numbers it lists the dual optic as what's used. Don't be obtuse.

It always makes me do a big think whenever I see that pic. People never stop to think that cutting the receiver would cause more deformation in the polymer than shooting it ever would.

Attached: Screenshot_20181215-022429.png (1440x2560, 253K)

>If you look at the wiki page where you got those numbers it lists the dual optic as what's used. Don't be obtuse.
nah i got these numbers straight from HK heckler-koch.com/en/products/military/assault-rifles/g36/g36/overview.html
>So please explain to me how these guns functioned perfectly fine for decades without issue and now the problem suddenly pops up when Ursula von der Cunt decides she needs to make a name for herself.
maybe because the rifles never saw any harsh use before? idk, conscripts aren't known for being allowed to dump hundreds of rounds
>It always makes me do a big think whenever I see that pic. People never stop to think that cutting the receiver would cause more deformation in the polymer than shooting it ever would.
what are you talking about, i've never seen anyone talk about that deformed plastic in the picture, that picture is just to demonstrate how the barrel is molded in the receiver

Plastic is not good for longevity, it shouldn't contain immovable, essential components. It's less trunnion moving and more polymer being more sensitive to damage over 30+ years of mouth breather use. Not like it's any lighter than any other m4 or extruded aluminum rifle.

If you look at the sights section, it lists various optics, optical, and reflex sight. Looking at the pics they use for the G36K and C, it's pretty apparent that the listed weight is not for the configuration shown.

>maybe because the rifles never saw any harsh use before? idk, conscripts aren't known for being allowed to dump hundreds of rounds
I promise you, in more than 20 years of use, someone, somewhere got their rifle more than 30 degree C hotter.

Sorry, people general try to use that as an example of the polymer melting. That's not the barrel in the pic, it's the trunnion. Also, the spots where the optics mount have metal reinforcement as well as throughout the receiver.

Someone tell that to Glock or my almost 40 year old VP70.

Attached: 20181215_023326~01.jpg (1080x1432, 336K)

yes, civilian use is obviously the same as decades of military use with little to no maintenance

Are you saying Glocks haven't been used by militaries and police forces around the world for the past almost 40 years?

I've already said this like 5 times.
Rifles see vastly more use than pistols, the same rifle gets beat on for decades non stop with non existent parts replacement schedules. There is no tangible benefit for going with polymer on a rifle when aluminum can holds up better over time. Call me in 30 years and tell me if you have 50 year old g36's that got rode got and put away wet for every day of it's life.
GUU-5/P's are that old and still in inventory.

I'll screencap this and post mine in 30 years and show you how well it held up through the Finno-Korean Hyperwar.

>G3
>HK21
>MP5
>P7
>HK33
>USP
>Mk.23

It's not especially light.

Dont mind me

Why is there a new thread about Germany or the G36 at least once a week?

Famas

It's a great idea for a last ditch gun, not so much if you have the time to do something better.

>last ditch
>polymers
better off just machining a trunnion, press and pin the barrel and weld it into the receiver

Gotta pay for those 50k injection molds somehow.

Except it was the Bund who determined it was temperature caused.

yes do all those things that require specialized machinery and skilled labor rather than putting a piece of metal into a plastic mold and then having some rando press a button

>So please explain to me how these guns functioned perfectly fine for decades

How many conflicts did German troops fight in between 1997 when the G36 was adopted and the war in Afghanistan?

Glocks don't use polymer at key structural locations.

They've sure been in the middle east before 2013. Even if they weren't, hot and cold tests are standard for any service rifle.

The whole frame is polymer with metal reinforment and slide rails. The frame still bears a lot of stress.

>DECADES!
>okay actually just over 10 years, and then issues started cropping up as it saw harsh use for the first time

We are talking about an army that was so underfunded that they had to use broomsticks in place of HMG during NATO exercises, do you actually think they were put to rigorous use before Afghanistan?

P2000

Tis the season for please validate my impulse purchase!

I think they were shot and tested more than not at all. Especially since the saudis adopted them. Although I guess they live in a pretty temparate, cool climate.