Bodyarmor in a Civilian Context

AR500 armor is getting so cheap lately I'm astounded, they must be selling tons of it.

At what point is a plate carrier etc a reasonable purchase for a civvy?

Attached: sdarmor[1].jpg (1256x1428, 383K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MIzAfXcCX3c
youtube.com/watch?v=pD_Q0no1Vmc
youtube.com/watch?v=e0gxeSpjdSk
youtube.com/watch?v=wb-ClokH0ks
youtu.be/oMYkEMhPsO8
officerstore.com/mobile/store/product.aspx/productId/31390/Hesco-Level-IV-10-x-12-Stand-Alone-Armor-Plate-Single-Curve-NIJ-06/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>At what point is a plate carrier etc a reasonable purchase for a civvy?
At the point where you want one.

When you think "hey I might get shot".

I live in a shit area, but I don't think its likely this year. I do think violence is coming, but how soon I don't know.

Reasonable I suppose.

You can get a two plate and plate carrier combo from ar500 for less than $80 shipped with the right coupons and promotions. Before they fixed it you can get it for less than $60

Just get one instead of buying another gun. It costs less than most guns and can save your life like a gun.

What coupons. I have the IV8888 coupon for them, and their promo right now is pretty solid. What else is there?

Their freeman preorder promotion, + their gift card promotion + whatever coupon code. I used the twangandbang coupon code myself, and before they fixed it, you could stack that coupon code on both the gift card discount AND the combo when you paid for it using the gift card.

Buy multiple gift cards? Do they make them available to you immediately?

Then apply them to the freeman + promocode?

They fixed it so you can't use the promo code twice, and you can't be clever and try to stack gift card with a promo code as a guest.

But you can put the freeman in your cart, apply the coupon code, calculate shipping, take a note of how much it costs. Then input that amount into the digital gift card for 25% off.

Or you can just take note of freeman + shipping and input that into the gift card and apply the coupon to that. My maths ability has degraded over the years but I think it will be the same result. Whatever is easier for you. If there's any difference it's probably just pinching pennies.

And yeah the gift card is near immediate to a few minutes.

Reminder that "AR500" refers to the steel's abrasion resistance. It's ability to repel bullets is a side-effect of that abrasion resistance, and at no point in its engineering specs is bullet resistance a concern, meaning the actual bullet resistance between any two batches of AR500-rated steel can actually vary a great deal.

AR500 as a company also doesn't do the types of batch tests that are actually required by NIJ or FBI rating systems.

Their anti-spall coating is also literally just spray-on pickup bedliner.

It's shit armor and it's dumb to trust your life to it.

Well, I trust it a hell of a lot more than the shirt I usually wear.

One might say it's better than nothing, but in this case, I'm not even sure that's true when you account for slower movement due to weight, ricochets, and false confidence

It's reasonable at the point that you understand the purpose of the 2nd Amendment isn't for hunting and shooting paper plates.

in this political climate u should buy rifle rated armor and maybe thin soft armor to hide under clothes

so does this stop 33.333 AR15's?
i don't get it. why do they call this body armor assault rifle 500.

theres plenty of thin hard plates that are 3a concealable but pretty pricey.

Its fuckin worthless for civilians. Think of how much a plate actually covers. Just your vitals. What happens when you get shot in the rest of you? You bleed out and die since you dont have a bunch of army buddies around to call in a helicopter and medivac you out. Might as well be faster and avoid getting shot to begin with.

>LEO's and most anyone training with guns taught to aim center mass
>reflexively any cop or fed or soldier is gonna put two center mass if the opportunity presents
>DUH ITS STUPID TO COVER THIS WITH METAL

I had the idea of doing a bullseye or bright red heart target over my plate carrier. just spray paint a stencil on there.
but then I realized thats exactly what the punisher and batman do with their body armor. and I didnt wanna get made fun of.
but really it makes sense. you throw a bullseye on something center mass and thats where youre average person is gonna put those rounds instinctively when you come around a blind corner.

>cop able to hit center mass
Good joke

this tbqh

the average person is going to put their rounds all to the everywhere until you drop, and then some though. sure, plates are really useful to carry, but they also weight alot. if you have to exert yourself, by moving large distances over long periods of time, you would be better off without the weight IMO, since, if you get in contact after all of that, you are less exhausted and more able to respond to the threat than if you wore plates.

Also, alot of people forget this, but your first protection against bullets is cover, speed and concealment.

If you get shot in the rest of you, you may be better able to respond to the threat tho. bleeding out is not guaranteed if you get shot in your extremities as well. and ambulances are plenty fast in towns. and first aid training should be something you know already if you consider buying plates.

I think you make a poor argument.

Is there any armor that is a trusted middle ground between ar500 and gucci $1000 plates?

Cop will aim centermass shoot you in the foot and still hit 3 inoccent bystanders and her partner who was sneaking up on you with the rest of the magdump.

>swat team kicking doors in enclosed spaces wear plates
>forest ranger hiking through a mountain pass for 4 days on foot doesnt wear plates

you dont say?
god this place needs to be shut down during european hours.
or just range ban all europeans.
still its better than the
>howdy fellow americans. boy I sure love dat nigga yung dak da trap lord music. I listen to it while watching football and basketball on a large tv. anyways I was wondering what the best non firearm weapon is to defend myself against muslim rape gangs of pakis and niggers that get a free pass from the cops in my city would be? my landlord doesnt let me own guns you see.

if I see that thread one more time Im going to start donating money to the jewish funded NGO's that are shipping millions of africans into europe just to end it already.

Attached: (((immigration))).webm (512x288, 2.33M)

Presumably if rifle plates are out and being used by civilians the ambulance services are already compromised.

Bro life is not a videogame you cannot provide first aid to yourself while bleeding out and being shot at. The cops who shot you are not going to call in an ambulance to save you. They just going to let you bleed out while the media films it.

Dude. The thread was literally: How cheap do plates need to be to make them are reasonable purchase?

If I respond with: Well, plates are only useful in firefights, and in several kinds of firefights you may still be better off without them.
Whats your damn issue? Basic question, basic answer, tl;dr make up your own damn mind.

Bro life is not a videogame. In a firefight, you should not be alone, you should have a buddy who can provide first aid for you when you get shot. And of course it is possible to provide first aid to your extremities by yourself.

Also why the fuck did I get shot by cops? Sounds like a fun story lol.

american
european
european

do you know the casualty reduction the introduction of the steel helmet onto the battlefield made?
but you dont think that plates would be enviable in all firefights?

and in response to the OP
its a fucking nylon vest used to carry steel/ceramic plates to stop bullets. its not fucking rocket science. people here are gonna tell you that you need something that will stop a hot loaded penetrator .270 win rifle.
really what you want is something thats gonna stop what 90% of the hood can throw at you. handgun rounds, buckshot and standard .223.
AR500 gets shit on for its quality. it should be.
truth of the matter is its better than not having it. its 80% as effective as something that costs 4x more.
its a steel plate to stop hunks of metal propelled out of a tube by fucking combustive powders.

as for condor/ar500. youre not going to iraq. its a break glass in case of emergencies luxury. everybody wants to operate like they are joining devgru off their own budget.
its fine. it will fall apart on you but its gonna last you a year.

truth is you can make your own at home with fiberglass epoxy, fiberglass cloth and layering it with some bathroom tiles you pick up at home depot.
you could make your own armor in a weekend for less than a hundred bucks.
so really its not even necessary.

the real question Ive always had is
>jihadists uparmor cars, tractors, technicals, tanks with home grown armor workshops turning stuff into ork mobiles of war
>truly mad max levels of armor workshops
>never ever once make plates or body armor for your average jihadi joe in the field
perhaps some of our syrian and libyan friends posting from france and germany ITT can answer these questions for us

Attached: body armor.jpg (1280x720, 200K)

youtube.com/watch?v=MIzAfXcCX3c

get with the times you fucking loser

Attached: pistola.jpg (640x480, 188K)

>M855 will go straight through """III+""" AR500 if fired out of a 20" barrel
>M855A1 out of an M4 will go through this shit like it's not even there.
If the purpose of getting body armor is to prepare for the worst-case scenario then you should probably get armor that can't be defeated by the ammunition currently in use by the US Military and widely available to police.

Thinking that some Mad Max civil war SHTF scenario means you're only going to be up against Vietnam and/or Reagan-era bullets rather than actual modern shit is fucking retarded.

And even if your rhino-lined bullshit manages to stop a full mag of Cletus's .223, you really think the spall coating is gonna be intact? Fuck no, after a couple hits you're gonna have molten lead splashing straight up into your carotid, then you get to bleed out even though the plates technically worked.

If you feel like you need body armor then actually get real body armor.

body armor is a meme anyway
if you're getting shot in SHTF you are already fucked and there's no going back
what are you gonna do, get hit and go to a nicely staffed hospital after? fucking get real

the only people who really get use out of body armor are crayon-eating retards who ended up being thrown into the shit after they failed placement in the military, people whose literal jobs it is to be shot at daily

>because jayshawn and julio are packing green tips
once you get into matching whats in the national guard armories and what cops and feds have then its a moot point.

youtube.com/watch?v=pD_Q0no1Vmc

youtube.com/watch?v=e0gxeSpjdSk
>M855A1 out of an M4 will go through this shit like it's not even there.
get the fuck out of here

by the time you start seeing that shit in the streets artillery and tanks are out there and you got bigger worries

OH NO GREEN TIPS OUT OF A 20 INCH BARREL
just use some epoxy and put ceramic tiles on both sides of the plate. you can up armor those things if you feel like its overpowered against the rounds coming your way.

Attached: compliance cucks.jpg (1024x733, 175K)

I really think this argument is dumb for a few reasons.

Getting 3A hybrid armor and putting it in a backpack is much more practical than any plate carrier setup. But I can't hate on plate carriers because I have a setup myself for shits.

youtube.com/watch?v=wb-ClokH0ks

I have a couple of their Rimelig soft armor panels. Aramid fiber. They were $99 each a couple of years ago. I trust those are alright.

Also got some AR680 from ArmourWear... abrasion resistance applies to impacts and not just surface toughness as in gears or whatever.

Do I know how important helmets are? fuck yeah, i got shot in mine. I also wore plates for quite some time, until i decided that I was better off without them. And no, I do think that plates would be enviable in all firefights, but most of the time you dont get to decide when that firefight is going to happen, and I am very mindful of the fact that the plates have to get to the place of that firefight somehow, and that i am likely to have to carry them there. Now with me, the situation was very specific, but the situation i would like to bring plates to is as well: high intensity urban warfare.

And yeah, I am european, what about it? its not like americans have the monopoly on infantry warfare know-how.

>And yeah, I am european, what about it?
its just fucking obvious but at least you admitted it my fine turkish friend.
> its not like americans have the monopoly on infantry warfare know-how.
we have the monopoly on civilian body armor, testing and right to bear arms though. I dont think hi viz yellow vests count as body armor for your revolution against gas taxes instead of your taxes going to pay for the housing and welfare for the muslims and niggers replacing you and raping your daughters. the fact you have some bolt action locked up at the local police station you can pay to take out once a month doesnt make you a comparable peer.
the free masons and jews have you guys locked up and its over for you.
our country on the other hand despite being founded by free masons has the 2nd amendment just for this little eventuality.

>Do I know how important helmets are? fuck yeah, i got shot in mine.
a nato faggot sitting in a POG base that got peppered with some IDF mortars doesnt count. unless your an actual european that went outside the wire and sat around for 2 hours in a firefight waiting for chain of command to allow you to respond with smoke grenades and covering fire to facilitate pulling back.

Attached: France AKA North Africa brought to you by jews.jpg (4032x3024, 3.57M)

>Australians cant have body armor or airsoft guns.

shiiieeet i better buy some now just to tell help out those Australians.

youtu.be/oMYkEMhPsO8
>Second video shows black tip going straight through it.
If you need body armor just buy real body armor not jerryrigged bullshit.
>muh niggers
Yet you clearly think like one
>just epoxy tiles to the plates!

Fucking Hesco 4400s are $120/ea. Literally no excuse.

>I really think this argument is dumb for a few reasons.
Elaborate. The video above shows greentip (designed in the late-70s and not in use by any military or police force) going straight through this bullshit "armor."

See above video.

If you as an average citizen are in a situation where a plate carrier is an actual thing you need, then things have degraded to a point where needing to stop actual AP ammunition is a concern.

The argument about M855 is a red herring anyway because again, in the kind of situation we're talking about, there's gonna be black tip EVERYWHERE and you might as well not be wearing any armor as putting on AR500 at that point.

>I have body armor to prepare for the worst-case scenario
>But in my head the worst-case scenario is somehow just gangbangers with 9MM handguns and MAYBE shitty bulk steelcase 5.56
If you're trying to be prepared then actually nut up and buy adequate equipment.
AR500 is for LARPing.

Every single time Aussies come through Delaware they go to the local range, rent a lane every single day and shoot for 3-4 hours each day, renting upwards to 20-30 firearms. I tend to buy them store credit for heaps of ammo and have them transferred to my membership to use a lane for free and let them shoot my guns that I bring. I get more enjoyment on those range days letting the Aussies live it up, because they are like kids in a candy store, hyper and can't stop smiling. I'll just sit and shoot the shit with them on those days. Good fellers, many still agree with their laws though which surprises me.

Failure drill (Mozambique) has been standard LE training for over a decade now.

Wearing steel is fucking gay and should be chosen as an absolute last resort if you are incapable of acquiring honest ceramics.

>tfw no Aussies to bring to the range down south
>ywn hear oi bloody hell cunt got it right through the bull's eye
>ywn encourage aussies on work visas to move to the US and get out of their communist country

Attached: 1544742162419.jpg (720x720, 28K)

>because jayshawn and julio are packing green tips
Actually not too long ago (July) I was part of a warrant team that hit a house in Tacoma. Recovered about 4000 rounds of M855A1. Both CID and NCIS came poking around. Turns out Jayshawn had his homies Deshawn at JBLM and Ashawn at NBK lifting rounds.

There's a fucking huge ass gang presence in the military. Don't think that street gangs are getting stolen weapons and ammo.

AR500 is perfectly fine at stopping the majority of projectiles. All pistol rounds and a good portion of common rifle rounds. Look, no one is saying it’s the best or even that good but it’s a very cheap option that can work. Most people will never need it but it’s cheap enough it’s to the “why not” stage. It’s basically PSA tier AR performance but at Hi-Point prices. Literally everyone can afford this now

There's a Battlefield Las Vegas round count thread somewhere (maybe ARFCOM) where he says their PSA guns do just as well as their DD guns.

That's NOT the fucking case with this shit.

you show me one US law enforcement agency that practices mozambique drills

how many fucking 3rd worlders are on this board? why do you come here
Jow Forums should only consist of
>americans
>diet americans aka snow niggers in canada that dont speak punjabi or mandarin
>chink shills
>vatnik shills
the rest of you can git out

Attached: sweden preparation for assualt aka prepping for the bull.png (1031x1995, 1.52M)

In an actual SHTF event there's gonna be a lot of people who wish they packed more food, water and ammo instead of that body armor.

well said
>hmmm those faggots at starbucks have been protesting with mexicans and mosins lately, maybe I should lay a hundred bucks on some body armor
BUT WHAT ABOUT WHEN THEY SEND DELTA FORCE AFTER YOU WITH BLACK TIPS WITH AN APACHE FIRE TEAM TO HUNT YOU

I'll worry about that later marcel/sven/nigel

OR you could just not be a poorfag and buy actually quality armor instead of nigger-rigged snakeoil.

This. If your SHTF plan involves needing body armor, you're doing it wrong. The people who think this are the same people who think wearing the entire 5.11 catalog and concealed carrying an SBR is grey-man.

I realize it’s not the best comparison because PSA is actually pretty good. But this is 90% of the functionality for 20% of the price.

>says it stops a certain group of projectiles
>actual stops those projectiles.
Yes clearly nigger rigged snake oil

exactly
these guys get it

YOU NEED 500$ PLATES INSIDE A 300$ PC TO FUNCTION
WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DONT HAVE 8 THOUSAND DOLLAR NV GOGGLES????

well I got a flashlight instead.

Can you send me a link to this app you apparently have that lets you know ahead of time what type of ammunition will be loaded into the firearms of people shooting at you?

Buying body armor is about preparing yourself for tma worst-case scenario. Why the fuck wouldn't you just spend the extra $100 and get plates that will actually stop almost everything AND weigh less AND are still multi-hit rated AND won't send bullet fragments into your throat at supersonic speeds after the Rhino-lining wears off?

Hesco 4400s are $120/plate.
A Blackhawk Low-Vis carrier is $40.

Attached: 1436149878051.jpg (598x370, 55K)

Buy a first aid class, an IFAK, and a couple tourniquets first.

he doesnt have plates made of diamonds to protect against hellfire missiles?
loser

Spotted the retard. It will cover your vital organs. You get hit in an extremity pop a tourniquet on it. Most people live within a reasonable distance of a trauma center. IF you dont, there are helicopters that routinely lift people to places.

In most cases I can see myself in I will be hunkered down behind cover. What I'd be most worried about is my head.

are hesco plates better than ar500?

Apparently im on the fringe when it comes to this but i seriously think that body armor is the second most important thing after having a reasonably effective firearm and knowing how to use it when it comes to successful HD or even minor SHTF. The average mildly practiced individual is much better off in any kind of typical defensive situation with a handgun and a vest/PC than they are with just a rifle/shotgun. Body armor is a reasonable purchase for anybody who thinks they might need to defend themself against an armed aggressor, AKA anybody who owns a gun for self defense. A lot of people complain that it takes too much time to put on a vest/PC, but there are all velcro models that are pretty quick to put on and frankly even with the more traditional models i can just leave mine adjusted a little loosely and wriggle the thing on in a few seconds. It stays in place fine as long as i don't try any acrobatics. If you don't have the 10-12 seconds to quickly put on a vest and grab your HD gun then i seriously doubt you'll have the 7-8 seconds to grab your HD long gun(assuming you're in the bedroom), and time is hardly considered a fair criticism of keeping one of the latter around.

Attached: whoa_nigga.jpg (643x820, 80K)

Dont call me a fucking turk, ass. and "monopoly on civilian body armor, testing and right to bear arms", are you for real? any household in iraqistan has an AK, any swiss reservist a rifle. polish people can own AKs, finnish can own rifles no problem, canadians have rifles. your 2nd amendment is not special. And of course, a fucking idiot like you would bring up the muslims in europe, fleeing middle eastern wars you fucks started. chemical weapons my ass. how about your taxes pay for their housing instead?

>a nato faggot sitting in a POG base that got peppered with some IDF mortars doesnt count.

good thing i wasnt a "nato faggot" (nato includes US as well btw, played yourself there buddy), i wasnt even an "actual european", we didnt have any smoke grenades or wires, just american air strikes whenever your SOF guys would pull their heads out their asses and make a showing at the front. So fuck you, and your Kerdogan-dick sucking president.

so what armor do you picky faggots actually recommend?

Btw LBT is having a nice sale on plate carriers right now

>The average mildly practiced individual is much better off in any kind of typical defensive situation with a handgun and a vest
Might as well buy a bulletproof shield instead if you are going to use a handgun. Protects the entire body and you don't have to put it on.

my penis likes this idea

>an entire 4 lines of text
You must be 18 or older to post here.

I wouldn't even call it the 2nd most important. Weapon, ammo, food, water, first aid, emergency supplies, etc...all this should take priority over armor.

Armor has a specific function, but it's next to useless if you die of exposure, dehydration, infection, or exhaustion.

lets switch out the handgun with a gladius, make the shield see through, and strip naked on contact. optimal effect on target.

the video you linked actually does not show greetip going through

the xm193 went though, the green tip did not.

if you cannot understand your own material dont criticize others.

FWIW only retards cheap out on BA or gunz

Attached: gribble.gif (400x296, 2.46M)

>HD
>minor SHTF
Im clearly not talking about long term survival situations or TEOTWAWKI. Im talking about the relative importance of different defensive equipment for HD and things like civil unrest or temporary WROL. Of course not surely dying of thirst is more important than having body armor JIC you get in a DGU.

Well they're level 4 rated, multiple hit, and weigh a lot less.

And they don't spall

You be the judge

Why are people cheaping out on shit that only exists to save your life? Are your vital organs not worth 100 dollars?

one never knows how soon violence will arrive. no sane man willingly goes where he's going to need violence; not without getting paid for it anyways.

>fleeing middle eastern wars you fucks started

Attached: aipac.jpg (371x136, 11K)

Get out of Europe you worthless sandnigger. Quit pretending America had anything to do with your wars except who got paid. You savages have been killing each other forever and probably always will be.

No it hasnt you fucking retard. Anything other than center mass gets you roasted by IA.

None. People in the military don’t even wear them because there so heavy. The only people i know who use them everyday are some cops and duck hunters. Its usually kevlar and not plates though

> fleeing middle eastern wars
the jews told rang the dinner bell and literally set up NGO human trafficking networks to flood europe with dark skinned people

there arent any wars.
jews went to local mosques and said
>free money and housing
>rape all the white women wearing short skirts
and they made it happen
the refugee optic is the biggest fucking lie of this century
almost worse than the holocaust lies

Attached: goodgoyim.png (1173x1162, 570K)

>and duck hunters

Must be some dangerous ducks.

while I agree there is better stuff out there but for your typical Jow Forums user it’s better than nothing I guess. the trade off is weaker armor (ie 3) at the same weight as lvl 4 ceramic with superior protection

t. someone with lvl 4 I’ve literally worn them 3 times in the past 6 years, twice for autismfest and once at the family farm with some friends getting the cops called on us for “automatic gun fire”

tl;dr
ar500 is “fine” for us larpers, if I had to buy all over again I’d buy lvl 3 ceramics for the weight savings and less bulk as I’m no door kicker

idk what you are trying to say
fucking wrong. I'm 100% germanic, just volunteered to go there and kill jihadi scum cause they need to die. try to go for my arguments next time too, or its gonna look like the only thing you can do is ad hominem cause you got nothing to contribute.

>there are no wars in the middle east
how am i supposed to take you srsly?
go to Jow Forums pls.

Attached: 20161216_145323.jpg (2560x1920, 1.27M)

where?

God's work.

Good thing not everyone is a poor faggot and can into everything :^)

>sweden
christ above

meant for

AR500 no longer the shit.

some harder stuff now that defeats 233 better

don't know name, but that is why AR is cheap.

yes, forgot name but harder than AR but still steel.

officerstore.com/mobile/store/product.aspx/productId/31390/Hesco-Level-IV-10-x-12-Stand-Alone-Armor-Plate-Single-Curve-NIJ-06/

I was off by $10 apparently but the point fucking stands.

The Aussies that come in and shoot are good people. They definitely know how to bant.

cool

I disnt realize they were that cheap. I would get a set just to have one if it was only $80 for the whole package