What is field combat actually like?

i view combat footage on youtube and it seems that soldiers arbitrarily fire in the general direction of the enemy. of course terrain matters in combat and it is fought in different distances.

Attached: image.jpg (560x819, 562K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DDmER7HmFTQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Go see for yourself.

You know that arbitrary fire? If you arbitrarily shoot in the direction of an enemy, it’ll keep them from shooting at you. It’s called supression

At typical engagement ranges in Afghan, you will hardly see the guy shooting at you. At 300m a human looks like a fuzzy blob or triangle to the naked eye, and most engagements can be anywhere from 300m out to half a mile away or on the other side of a valley. The standard SOP is pretty much take cover, return fire, drop a bomb on the cunt. Even if your rounds don't hit him, they'll have him trying to dig a hole to China with his eyelids, hence he won't be firing back at you as much and is pinned in one location making it easier to ram ordnance up his arse.

>walk around six month with 100lbs of kit on, or sit in a pill box on a mountain
>if mountain:
>hadji take pot shots
>you take pot shots at them
>call in air support
>f-15/16/18/ect bomb hadji last known position
>go home, demand free stuff
If walking around
>hadjis shoot at you from 200-600m out with 55 year old AK and 40 year old ammo
>take cover
>call it in as sniper
>shoot everything to shit
>(hadjis usually long gone by now)
>say your position is suppressed by a sniper
>call in air support/party
>blow a city block to shit
>that's a confirmed kill
>go home and demand free shit
^is the standard, sometimes real shit kicks off but it's the exception.

>i view combat footage on youtube

Hold up people, we're dealing with an expert.

>If you arbitrarily shoot in the direction of an enemy, it’ll keep them from shooting at you. It’s called supression
While totally betraying your position and justifying your location as a target for artillery fire, sure.

Well if they’re shooting and shelling you already, might as well. The point is to keep them down long enough for the air strike you called to hit them. If you’re suppressing them, they fired first and know where you are anyway, retard

1) If the enemy is shooting at you, they obviously already know where you are.

2) The same goes for them. If they're shooting at you, you know where they are.

I guess in your vision of an ideal battlefield, nobody shoots at anyone, ever, because if you did they could shoot at you and vice versa.

My dad called it "really boring and scary camping with guns". Basically, in Vietnam you would carry around lots of gear in really shitty weather and "search and destroy". Most of the time was spent searching and destroying nothing. The other part is spent is very very serious heart pounding gun fights. The enemy would only start a fight when it was in their best interests, so shit was always bad. Still my Dad says it was weirdly exhilarating and exciting. A few times they would ambush NVA or Vietcong and it was very bad for NVA and Vietcong. Friends you like randomly die....no really reason for it. Helicopters are dangerous and get shot down or have issues. Dad wont fly in helicopters because too many friends died being ferried to and from places.

That isn't arbitrarily firing, then. If you know the location of your enemy, that's different. The situation posed was just unloading in the general direction of an enemy. If you know there's someone in a building or you know where a sniper is, then focusing some fire there until you can neutralize the threat is logical.

I've only been in exercises so I don't know about real war, but it's 90% walking and running and feeling like a retard

Wrong. Even if you know where they are, they can still call arty on you, as pointed out.

Obviously the best thing to do here is to just sit still and do nothing. Only then can you defeat your enemy.

Yes but if the enemy is in a general location on a mountain or field, then the unloading you see in the videos is necessary, since there’s no other way to go about it. Come on, you should’ve figured that out

If you have no meaningful way to engage with an enemy, why the fuck are you engaging with the enemy and wasting ammunition?

Because they’re engaging you, or are going to engage you, idiot

Waiting to wait and shooting at ghosts. 90% is handled by armor, recon teams and air support. Your average ground engagement ends with recon getting another confirm or the ground shaking.
IF you're good enough to be recon you'll get the luxury of sitting in one location for hours if not days on end, watching lots of boring shit happen and occasionally ventilate someone's skull or be posted in a loophole at the end of a city block dropping anything with a gun.
None of it is a time I would recommend. You'd think lying down all day would be easy but it's not you get sore after 4 hours then parts of you start to tingle or go numb.

>Because they’re engaging you, or are going to engage you, idiot
This is why American infantry rifles have automatic fire disabled.

How bout Junghle Conditions with thick Foliage?

is as dense as jungle foliage

U r rarted

accurately describes the "combat" experience.

No, you're right. Just fire all your ammunition at the force that you can't actually engage with. This is a video game, and the magic ammo fairies will just drop an infinite supply of fresh ammunition. You won't run dry. Just fire in the general direction of your opposition as rapidly as possible. And then when the guns run dry you can just disconnect from the server because that game's clearly just bad.

this is why soldiers are taught rates of fire, you fucking idiot. KYS neverserved tard

>I don't know what real combat is
>But let me tell you about what it is
What a great thread

Are you fucking retarded
Have you seen a majority of US engagements? I understand the Turks have to essentially fight as guerillas against a bunch of jihadis doing the same thing to them but when you don’t live in a poor country you can suppress an enemy and bomb them, while rarely directly engaging. Holy fuck dude.

>I dunno where he is but start shooting anyways!
absolute brainlet

I can’t fucking believe how stupid you are. This is borderline retarded. Real life doesn’t have aim assist when you zoom in on the iron sight, do you know how hard precise shots are beyond 300 yards? That’s why when soldier engage, they try to keep the enemy pinned down so that the air strike can take them out. This is a really basic idea to understand, no one fires randomly in the air, you braindead mongoloid. It’s with purpose

As opposed to
>this guy is firing at us and hitting us with light arty, lets sit tight and do nothing :^))))

use a scope then, retard.
Don't tell me you're such a poorfag all you have are iron sights?
>can afford bombs
>can't afford optics
LOL

You’re gonna fucking tell me every grunt with an m-4 has a rifle scope?

Returning fire is all about limiting enemy ability to shoot at you while you take your own decision.
Firing in the general direction of the enemy limit his ability to move and with a bit of luck, to shoot
Then leaders decide if its better to attack (another part of the unit will move for example and try to eleminate the threat). Kepping this supressive fire will keep enemy attention on your part of the unit.
You could also wait for support (artillery or airplane or another unit) using your suppressive fire (that hopefully will become more precise as time goes) to fix the enemy on its designated position.
Or just retreat, suppressive fire to let you move away.
What you see in videos is american units trying to overwhelm the enemy with superior firepower in order to gain the initiative as told above and reduce the threat of being wounded.
They are stocked in munition to be able to maintsin this density of fire and the whole logistic behind them too.
They don't care about keeping ammo. Maube if it was a conventionnal conflict they would be a BIT more mindfull because logistic can become a clusterfuck.
But shooting in the general direction of the enemy isn't a waste and most of the time he won't even know from where it come from precisely as you won't. Rest is pure tactic and how you deal with the limited informations you got on the battlefield

You're the reason Jow Forums is going downhill

Attached: 1544716272209.jpg (210x240, 5K)

why your soldiers get PTSD after those 'combats'?

Attached: h.jpg (960x639, 104K)

youtube.com/watch?v=DDmER7HmFTQ

Close your eyes and imagine yourself in a place in time, I mean any time, war has been alive since man was born. Now imagine yourself walking, nothing but the fog between you and god knows what, you can hear it, but you can't see it, the question is: CAN IT SEE YOU? CAN IT HEAR YOU? CAN IT BECOME YOU? With only a weapon at your side you have a split second to decide your next course of action, either you fuck up badly and suffer for it, or you relax, take a deep breathe, focus and concentrate, this isn't a fucking simulation, you DON'T have a HP bar, you DON'T have Magic Spells, and you SURELY DON'T have extra lives like a cat. This is you're only one shot, now think, what the fuck would you do if your life was on the line?

Attached: 1522497902464.jpg (618x340, 29K)

Getting shot at is no bueno.
And IEDs, IEDs are bitches.
And when you spend months or years wondering if today is the day you'll be blown into a paste, can take a toll on your psyche.

this was a good thread lmao

>be me
>patrolling desert hellhole
>sand everywhere
>sun beating down on us
>carrying a shit ton of weight
>feels heavier with each mile but whatever
>OH SHIT we're getting shot at
>light pops and cracks
>a lot of cussing and yelling
>get down as low as possible
>fire a few rounds into the direction where the fire is coming from
>keep this up for a good half hour
>wait for air force to come in and wipe out the threat
>or just wait for the enemy to just sort of give up and leave
>get up
>continue moving as if nothing had happened

Attached: 089.jpg (1920x1280, 824K)

Combat is chaotic, boring, protracted, and you often won't know what or who got you.
>arbitrarily fire in the general direction of the enemy
That's called suppressive fire. They do that in an attempt to achieve fire superiority, which will force the opposing side to seek cover and fix them in place. In theory, another group will try to flank them, or better yet artillery or air support will hit them while they're suppressed.

In general due to years of COIN, I kinda suspect Americans would fare badly against a more conventional opponent like Russians, at least until they adapt. They rely too much on air supremacy and firepower superiority, and in a hypothetical conflict with Russians they would have neither.

Russians on the other hand got far more valuable (if limited) experience in Ukraine and partly Syria.

But in general chance of a conflict with Russians is like 0,1%, so who gives a fuck.

Unpredictability.
Most recent reliable research on PTSD suggests that it is caused by an inability to process an extreme emotional state in which outcomes are potentially unpredictable.
Things are happening fast, training kicks in, but your brain is still shitting itself over the unpredictability of the situation (especially with IED's). You don't have the ability in that moment to go through an appropriate emotional processing of the event, and it creates trauma.
Even if you have arty and air support to bomb the hadjis straight to martyrdom, you're still dealing with IEDs and ambushes.
The popular hollywood image of PTSD being caused by Saving-Private-Ryan-style "my buddys guts are hanging out oh the humanity" really gives people the wrong impression.
As an example, it wasn't so much direct combat that caused the majority of trauma during the first world war on the Western Front, but rather being exposed to constant, unpredictable shelling. You never knew when that next thump was going to hit your dugout, and the constant tension meant you never processed that emotional reaction properly.

This is also why a lot of doctors deny that "Complex PTSD" exists.

The idea is that while ordinary PTSD requires at least one traumatic instance you can tie the disorder back to, some people suffer from effectively the same disorder but don't have a singular cause. Complex PTSD serves as a diagnosis for those people, changing a few of the details and the recommended treatments to account for the relative lack of straightforward traumas and the more common/severe interpersonal ones.

Of course most people who would qualify for this diagnosis are generally misdiagnosed as having borderline or bipolar disorder due to child abuse or extensive domestic violence, so "experts" who believe that PTSD can only result from blood and guts car crashes or drone strikes deny that it exists. So now for the next DSM the proponents of Complex PTSD are trying to shoehorn it in as "Developmental Trauma Disorder" so everyone will shut up about it's relevance. The funny part is that being a Prisoner of War is a guaranteed way to get Complex PTSD under it's current definition so the people denying it are not only full of shit but also retarded.

It's all so tiresome.

This is why as a clinical psychologist, I can't stand MD's giving diagnosis. They get so much of their understanding of psychology from pop culture. Yet they are supposedly qualified due to a bare minimum of training in the area. Even psychiatrists (who have ALMOST as much relevant training as psychologists) lean so heavily on tossing drugs at people that they lack clinical experience which might help them lose their hollywood views on mental illness/trauma.