Concealed carry opinions

Hello Jow Forums, I'm trying to decide between a Bulgarian Makarov and an Astra 600 for my carry gun. Here is the breakdown:

Astra
>$350 + $25 shipping + $10 FFL transfer
>~950g
>9x19
>Single action w/ grip and thumb safety
>Nice wood grips
>Less common and mechanically simplistic than the Makarov

Makarov
>$300 for gun, holster and two magazines (local sale)
>~750g
>9x18 Makarov, not as common as 9x19 but comparable in price, somewhat weaker
>DA/SA with thumb safety
>Ugly bakelite grips
>More common and mechanically simplistic than the Astra

Both guns are simple blowback action but the Makarov has a fixed barrel and the Astra has an odd locking+removable barrel design. I think the Astra looks much nicer, but practically speaking the PM is a better carry gun. Would want to spend $65 on wood grips for the PM.

What do you think?

Attached: Astra.jpg.jpg (640x428, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

academy.com/shop/pdp/monarch®-fmj-9-x-18-mm-makarov-94-grain-pistol-ammunition#repChildCatid=153412
sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammo-sale/9x18-mak-ammo?sort=round_low
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

These are the actual guns in question btw. Both have most of the original finish left.

Attached: Makarov.jpg (640x360, 24K)

Buy a sheild you hipster fuck. You will ignore this post cause all you want is validation for your dumbass idea.

? I like all kinds of antiques, I know any modern gun will be practically superior. I just like old things and I'm poor, so I'd rather have one old gun to look at, and carry, than one new gun to carry and one old gun to look at

Makarov would be the better choice in this situation. Lighter and slimmer profile than the astra. Plus if you some how break something, parts are still somewhat easy to find and replace. Ammo is also more common than most think.

Whatever you're most comfortable with

Considering most antique guns aren't safe for carry you're better of spending that $300 on a Shield or a G19.

You'll get more holster options for the Makarov. Lots of people do CC those these days, too. I don't know enough about the Astra to say, but sometimes what you run into with older guns is they can't feed hollow points for shit, because they were designed with aggressive feed ramps that only really take ball ammo.

>9x18
>better
A compact handgun isn't better when you have to root around to find overpriced vatnik ammo no one uses

Both Buffallo Bore and PPU make 9x18 hollow points. Plenty of other manufacturers do too. Academy carries 9x18 ammo, even. You really don't have to "root around" if that's the case.

>Ugly bakelite grips
>ugly
you dont deserve either

Next time you’re in an Academy, imagine you’ve already bought the gun and are picking up some ammo on your way to the range. You have $30 in your pocket. How many boxes of 9mm will that buy vs 9x18? My guess is that Academy’s price for 9mm is going to be about $11.99 per box and 9x18 will be $18.99 or so.

Spend it on a Ruger LC9s or at least a LCP for $200.

That's true for some, but you can find 9x18 at 12.99 a box:
academy.com/shop/pdp/monarch®-fmj-9-x-18-mm-makarov-94-grain-pistol-ammunition#repChildCatid=153412

SGAmmo has 9x18 at 10 dollars for some boxes, and 1000 rounds will cost .17 cents a round at the cheapest (steel case):
sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammo-sale/9x18-mak-ammo?sort=round_low

I'm not denying its going to be harder to find, but you can find it at decent prices at most larger outlets.

But I don't like those guns. I know form

I mean as long as your preference includes dying or shooting yourself in the spine if you bump into the side of a table then you're good to go.

SG Ammo isn't a "larger outlet." It's an online retailer. You have to plan in advance and have a significant amount of money ready on hand to put toward ammo, buying in bulk to get the discount. Otherwise, the cost of shipping offsets any perceived comparable prices that you are deceptively trying to present. The fact that you had to go to sgammo.com in the first place just tells me that you are fully away of this and you think I will somehow fall for your bullshit because you think everybody is as stupid as you are.

>I'm thinking I'll keep enough stocked up to just buy the stuff online. The pricing isn't even comparable to in-store. I do agree it's almost always more practical to use 9x19
As someone who has owned guns chambered in meme calibers and said to myself that I would do just that, let me just say that it's easier said than done. Sometimes, you'll just want to shoot your gun a little bit, though. Sometimes you'll run out of ammo and other priorities in your life will prevent you from dumping $200 on a bulk purchase of pistol ammo. The ability to go to a neighborhood gun store and buy ammo for $12 per box, which you'll have immediately, is a nice bonus.

>for my carry gun
Autism is real.

You can get a Shield for $249, free shipping, plus $10 FFL transfer from PSA right this very minute, you fucking mongoloid.

This post is fucking stupid.
You could find an LC9S Pro for $50 less AND it will feed hollow points AND available in a caliber that's cheap AND will be safe for carry with modern holster options.
Buying surplus guns for anything other than collecting stopped being a thing years ago.

Attached: no it isnt.jpg (730x1024, 79K)

Get the Mak

The fact that you are even considering the Astra 600 for CC illustrates that you are a retard

>SG Ammo isn't a "larger outlet." It's an online retailer
Did you ignore my link to Academy, an actual larger retailer, you fucking mongoloid?

2 or 3.

Buy a modern conceal carry pistol instead of carrying antiques you dumb fuck.
> But it's too expensive
You can get great carry pieces for your budget, $300 can get you all kinds of single-stack 9mm or .380 pistols
> But I like antiques
If you like them, then don't carry them. Carrying a gun means your fucking sweat will get on it and your clothes/belt will rub on it and ruin the finish. If you ever have to use it, it's gonna sit in a police evidence locker for a while where it can rust up before you get it back, unless of course some cop decide to add it to his personal collection.

Just buy a modern fucking carry gun. It will serve its purpose better, and it's not as big of a deal if it gets damaged/lost/stolen.

Attached: 6f7.jpg (500x390, 116K)

>Buying surplus guns for anything other than collecting stopped being a thing years ago

Tell that to the 7.62x25 M57 that sits on my passenger seat for every commute. If I ever had to shoot through my windshield I'd rather have the extra 400 fps on hand over my 9mm CC.

If you really want to be a retard and gamble with your life with a surplus gun, get the Makarov and some good hp ammo, either Hornady or Buffalo bore. Alternatively you could not be a hipster faggot and get a modern gun that will be better in every way.

Speaking about Makarovs I put some 380 Through my 9x18 Mak. .Chono Read 680fps using 95Gr Aguila FMJs. Recoil was weak but cycled perfectly.

Attached: 20181201_130736.jpg (4032x1960, 2.75M)

Agree that if it's your carry gun you should get a Shield. out of the Astra and the Mak I'd say get the Astra for its greater novelty and because it's 9mm and ammo will be way easier to deal with than Mak ammo.

buy a glock 43 or any one of its analogues from s&w, h&k, sig, springfield, walther, etc
You can also find them used for cheap.

Also, you'll want a decent IWB holster so neither of your hipster guns will work. Stop thinking emotionally and adopt rational thinking.

You do realize 9mm mak is like 9.2mm right? the .355/.356 bullets used in 9mm luger/.380acp might not even contact the rifling in a makarov barrel....

>he doesn't cc a fitz special with no holster

Attached: Review.jpg (1280x681, 158K)

ultimate hipster carry. Smith and Wesson 2nd Model Double Action in .38 SW. They can be found all day for 125-150 bucks.

With a 158 grain semi-wadcutter you get ballistics pretty much on par with .380.

Attached: download.jpg (750x486, 35K)

For real? I signed myself up for a 1200 yard competition and was gonna use a Mak loaded with .380 but now I might just drop out and save some face

CCW for 15 years. DO NOT CHEAP OUT. Spend at least 200 over budget and get you a gun that will last. I've carried 3 different guns. First one the finish wore - need to refinish. Second one the sights wore and fell off, fixed and still carry. 3rd carrying a year, no issues.