Why isn't this working?

Why isn't this working?

Attached: 2018-12-16 17.05.47.jpg (4032x3024, 2.58M)

Do you have at least one bottle of vodka in the same room as you?

Just use oil it'll be fine

Nah

Da tovarisch
But I am afraid I've ruined my barrel!

Ay de mi

Attached: 2018-12-16 17.17.15.jpg (4032x3024, 3.34M)

What pitch are you trying to thread?

14-1 oh for akm brakes

You running the die the counter clockwise? It is a left hand thread.
Whats the diameter of the barrel? Could be trying to hog out too much material and breaking the thread roots.

I dont know the thickness offhand, but what could I do to remove less material?
And yes counterclockwise rotation

Screw your tat a few threads past the die and secure it with the brake your going to use. That will help it bite down. Remember to go slow, use lube, back off every so often to break the chips off.

Normally you would use a lathe to cut the diameter to the max thread diameter then cut threads.
If it's too big there's not much you can do that will look nice. Maybe careful filing to bring to the proper diameter.

Jesus Christ my dude

This really isn't doing anything. Time to throw away the whole rifle

Attached: 2018-12-16 18.10.42.jpg (4032x3024, 3.57M)

Wheres basement machinist when you need him

How do you fuck up cutting threads

Dude. You're trying to turn down a metric fuckton more material than you should with that die. You can't just do that, it has to be of an appropriate diameter for the threads to take.

What you're doing is just stripping them out as you go, since you have to take several very very small passes to remove that material at the base.

The whole thing is fucked, try and step it down to 1/2x28 that's the only way to salvage it.

Lol. This.

Then why would cncwarrior recommend that I use that die with my gun?

Either way, looks like I'm getting a new barrel. While I'm at it I'll get new gas block and front sight post

Because that's for STANDARD ak barrels. What do you even have? Is that an old saiga or what? The OD is a fuckton bigger.

It's a 2013 saiga. And I emailed cncwarrior myself. Oh well

Kinda figured. You gotta look out for stuff like that, but now you know and you'll never forget it.

Damn right I wont.

Related note, who has good ak barrels?

Green mountain is the standard. Feel free to shop around though.

okay now this is epic
this is why practice counts

Retard threading user here.
If I bring this to a gunsmith and ask them to thread it the rest of the way, and after I endure the inevitable laughter, would it still work with only half the threads? Or would that damage the gun to try to shoot?

For a standard old muzzle device it'll do fine. Don't put a silencer on it.

Good lord....

you'd get laughed at. thats not a thread user, thats a oopsie. should be fine to shoot through but youve done a lot of damage and *most likely* wont be able to get the right size of thread cut
t. Novice Machinist

Attached: ung 12.png (331x349, 142K)

I used a dremmel to thread mine

Well, actually, hold on. If you're taking the threads all the way back to the FSP anyway, you've got way more material than you'll need. Your oopsie won't matter at all.

after a 3rd look youd probably be fine to take it in and have them "finish" the thread, the caveat is that the length sucks ass so you might want that atrocious nub youve birthed cut off. it'll take measurements to be sure though, images cant say much without muh big numbers next to them

you are supposed to do it with a lathe...

My barrel is 16.25" the bullshit I cut is about .20" so hopefully someone competent could fix it while keeping legal length
As other anons have said already

The barrel is fine. Looks like your fsb is pinned. Knock out pins, hammer off fsb, replace the fsb with a Russian or Bulgarian.

yeah any professional could save that length. if they give you shit just say youve never touched a die before and didn't know what it would do. good luck

Holy shit.

Attached: 1515474481266.jpg (600x592, 93K)

You fucked up OP. I do think its fixable. You could get about half of the length chopped off and have the rest threaded. Then perm attach a brake or whatever

OP pls what are you doing?

sigh. trashcan gun.

Attached: 1541970392719.png (506x513, 218K)

This is really what you should have done from the beginning, as a saiga is a 100 series based rifle. That being said, if your die has an adjustment screw, you should have opened it up some more when it wasn't biting, and should have been applying pressure while attempting to thread so that it would acutally bite and continue instead of just chewing away the beginning of the threads over and over. The shroud on the front sight should have been cut off flush with the end of the sight to begin with, so you'd have a proper amount of threadable area available. It's completely salvageable though, either swap the fsb for ak74 fsb or cut that shroud farther back and re-attempt with the die opened up and proper technique. Or just take it to someone with a lathe so they can thread it properly and circumcise that weird little foreskin abortion off the end of the barrel