/ktg/ - Knife Thread General

Really edition

Previous thread:

Attached: BAC3B1FA-54D6-41D9-855D-AB6138E49F38.jpg (520x387, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bladehq.com/cat--All-Bradley--411#B
kniferights.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What's a good knife for camping that's cheap but not terrible

One you make yourself.

Attached: 1533510729132.jpg (600x287, 35K)

Thanks for the worthless advice m8

I want a flipper to impress [spoiler] see: scare [/spoiler] grills with but I’m too poor for benchmeido. Thoughts on Bear & Son?

And what’s everyone’s opinion on BladeHQ? They seem knowledgeable but I’m too new to naifus to judge

Attached: B722FCA3-B8EC-4F24-9873-10EFC0F8B5F2.jpg (400x450, 40K)

ESEE 4 through 6.
I have a 4 and a Junglass and it's been a good combo.
The 5 has a spike to make a fire bow holes or smash windows.

Basically anything that doesn't look like absolute bottom of the barrel shit, knives are hard to mess up.

>smash windows
I wouldn't want to get clocked in the head with the glass breaker, either.

Bear & son isn't that good, save a little more or something better.

Bear and son isn’t that bad, don’t waste money on something more expensive

thanks for the advice naifufriend

Attached: 718F937C-4361-4470-8CE1-F8B136CD5B75.jpg (1075x806, 197K)

To quote the gr8 wisdom of /out;
>Get a fucking Mora
It's cheap and utilitarian as it gets while still being good. Buy one use, it see what you like and don't like about it, and move on to more expensive stuff from there.

Bradley Kimura
bladehq.com/cat--All-Bradley--411#B

Attached: Mora Companion 2.jpg (2048x1253, 479K)

Asking again. Looking for a decent fixed and folder to buy. Narrowed it down to these but I am open to suggestions and criticisms on the choices.

I am looking at the few recommended to me in the last thread

Attached: knives.jpg (1896x1580, 309K)

Question: can I turn a cheap and bad knife into an acceptable one with heat treating?

Get the TOPS or get a Mora
Or get something in H1 from Spydermeme

Personally I would go with 0452cf and Guardian... But all of them are not a bad option.

Depends... Most of the time if it has a particularly bad heat treat, it probably is a crappy steel. There are cases of respected knife makers using good steels but having a bad HT, most of the time this is from over heating while grinding/sharpening after the temper, like some of the initial KAI (ZT/Kershaw) Elmax blades and famously a good number of Bark River knives.

But in general it's not a good plan. If it just has a crappy heat treat because it's crap, the steel is crap. If it is good steel, chances are there is some warranty, and the heat treatment is so complicated that it's not cheaply viable to do at home compared to just buying a better knife in the first place.

Attached: ZT 0562cf Merica Deer.jpg (4032x3024, 1.61M)

>H1
No that's horrible advise. Unless he is working directly around and in salt water, H1 has no advantages. In all aspects besides being rust proof, it is a shit "steel" (insert not actually steel disclaimer). H1 is very specialized for corrosion.

It's like recommending an amphibious car for a daily driver.

Attached: Stedemon ZKC C-01 railing show side.jpg (4032x3024, 2.84M)

Im sure its more than enough for that fucking guy

Y/N?

Attached: B1B0250F-BEDD-49DD-A8CC-64A6D0A13127.jpg (587x660, 34K)

knives are just for felons who cant own guns, change my mind.

Oh man that was really easy

Attached: B0C5AB1E-E3C3-41BB-AD10-9B42B19C5EDD.jpg (4032x3024, 2.25M)

>own multiple $100+ knives
>none are that sharp
>some are plain dull
No excuse, if you collect knives, learn to sharpen.

Attached: received_213419696257955.jpg (3024x4032, 368K)

Attached: SmartSelect_20181216-222434_Amazon Shopping.jpg (1278x1284, 679K)

What is this beautiful gun? Love the design cues and looks comfy as fuck for ccw

N

If only h&k usp was conveniently stamped on the slide

Thanks for the flipper suggestion - do you have experience with the knife/brand? Never heard of Bradley Kimura.

To be fair, my camera fucking sucks and you can barely make out “USP” on the end of it.
That being said, its there in big letters on the grip.

I love everything Microtech so I was once getting a boner about buying one of their balisongs. Yeah they're like $300 but I'm a knife guy so... shit gets to me.

But then...
>gf hears me annoyingly jack myself off about knives all the time
>hears me talk about buying a $300 butterfly knife
>allofherwat
>next time I see her
>she gives me a box
>inside is a cheap mtech balisong trainer
>handles are that chinsey zinc shit
>wobbly as hell
>start flipping it
>its really not as cool as I thought itd be after learning some basic maneuvers from youtube
>saved $300

Tl;dr: Unless you really want to get into flipping balis and need a good one, try a cheap trainer first. Good balisongs are horribly expensive/overpriced imo, so try it out first before you sink Microtech or Benchmade money into a knife.

Mora

I too take somewhat shitty pictures with my USP. This time with an HK knife (HK "Dispatch" tanto, discontinued)
Weeeee.

Attached: IMG_20180424_064907_258.jpg (1080x812, 325K)

19 yo texasfag here, can't cc until I turn 21 so I carry a switchblade like a cuck

where's a good starting place?

Buck 119

So those are illegal to conceal in most areas.
Also even the expensive ones are trash, just order a $5 from wish.

Fuck no

USPs, and most HKs in general are some of the most uncomfortable CC options.

I'm pretty sure in your cucked state a switchblade is illegal to carry/conceal
Kek

Not that user but...
Here in MI, autos/otf knives were "un-banned" as of Oct 2017. Problem is, there are barely any retailers in-state that have the types I tend to look for since it's sort of a "new" thing here.

Not being able to have autos shipped across state lines is a god damn shame. I used to go online and check out all the autos and OTFs that I was saving for once they were legal in the state...
>go to buy one
>place order
>receive email
>"sorry nigger, we cant ship to you"
>scour the internet trying to find someone who sells microtech/benchmade/whatever OTFs
>all of them are 100+ miles away with extremely limited inventory
>kms

Mu state they are illegal to conceal outside your home, regardless of a CHL or not, and since they are pocket knives they cant really be carried "open" unless you're just holding it in your hands.
I know Texas is cucked on knife laws in other ways though.

I see. It is still illegal to carry a double edged knife here, but you can own one.

Oddly enough, one of the first otfs I saw for sale once my state made them legal was a double edged benchmade infidel. LGS wanted over msrp for it (~$400+)

Okay britbong here. No guns here, so best weapon I could have is a knife, or some self-made engineering shit, that I could dismantle right after and frame it on some logical reasonable alternative.

Annnnyway...simple as'. Need me a good knife. stays sharp. perhaps small, perhaps reasonably concealed and carried. im not the fuckin knife experts, so I could be going full-noob here.

You's lots need to give a good weapon. I don't intend to hurt, only to threat, at this current stage.
WOULD also like a sharp one. good for cutting shit, useful for most materials in the real world.

Attached: bong-fight.png (600x591, 97K)

Best melee weapon you can have (practically) is wood or polymer cane/staff with no bladed weapons in it.
Second best is a bright flashlight
Third best is O.C. spray
4th is an umbrella
Fifth would be a large fixed blade (doubt that's legal in bongistan)

Probably not the -best- weapon, but inconspicuous. Pic related.

I'd venture to guess it doesn't feel great getting repeatedly bashed in the skull with one...

Attached: Screenshot_20181217-045906_Google.jpg (753x1057, 122K)

excellent idea desu. ive had a lot of ideas recently. like is there any body immoblization weapons? that concerns chemicals, drugs, techniques, obstacles, instruments?

and if im allowed to break somebody, where do I attack? i want the fucker to go down, or at least, a one-punch move.
pic related.

Attached: one-parole-man.jpg (800x820, 62K)

Any large switchblade or assisted opening knife?
Something with a nice size blade and a large handle like a buck 110 folder.
I have medium to large hands, 7 1/4in x 4.5in.

I'm planning on buying an SRK in San Mai. Is San Mai worth spending a little more? Anybody have experience with it?

Attached: cs san mai.jpg (500x500, 49K)

Find something in decent steel with a mild heat treatment that doesn't have a bolster or hilt that goes directly up to the edge. Go for a buck (vanguard is decent) before a Mora. You can sharpen the entirety of the blade for quite some time without having to grind into the handle, at the very least. Fallkniven and Benchmade also make some decent camp knives that would fit, though they both make a lot of knives that have terrible bolsters and finger guards in that respect.
A Mora is a good knife insofar as something that you really don't care if you lose (besides the fact that you're littering).

Lit cig to the eyes if you're a smoker.
Umbrella when weather appropriate.

Steel toes to the kneecaps.

Either SRK San Mai or a Morakniv Garberg. Haven't decided.

Friendly reminder that Knife Rights has been loosening knife restrictions across the country and are currently taking NYC to the Supreme Court over their unconstitutional gravity knife restrictions.

kniferights.org/

Attached: knife-rights425x320.jpg (425x320, 74K)

>he says with a guided sharpening system
take ur own advice friendo

Thank you very much my fren

Good gf is good

Is this a good knife to get? Im thinking of saving up a few buck to get it

Attached: 41RdhFR8xgL._SX466_.jpg (466x395, 16K)

I bought one 7 years ago and have been beating the dog shit out of it ever since. Just be wary of the carbon fiber handle, they get prickly as they age.

I freestoned for years, if you got the money a guided ssystem of quality will be better
Watch a million videos and buy some stones, i suggest king.

I need a pocket knife that is somewhat reliaable for selfdefense, I need a fixed blade, no longer than a big phone. Are karambits "good" enough? O I should buy one of those tiny knifes wrapped in paracord?

You need a good pepper spray not a knife

Do you like skeleton knives? A think they are awesome.

Attached: PSX_20180826_220846.jpg (2499x2498, 3.78M)

ProTech TR-4 Auto is large enough?

it is steel though

>guided is better
no

Yes

Attached: no.gif (300x168, 449K)

Attached: gtddak.jpg (600x450, 43K)

thank mr skeltal

[spoiler] look ma i’m shitposting on Jow Forums [/spoiler]

Attached: 8BAF62E9-7D2D-49C1-B08F-F1AD21FCEBAF.jpg (416x416, 54K)

>gatekeeping
I sort of agree, but I would consider knife collecting can be a separate hobby from sharpening or evening using knives. Ever since I got my first pocket knife when I was 6, my grandfather taught me to sharpen on his oil stones... but I never got good at sharpening until I bought my wicked edge, and then started to practice free hand on water stones. But I don’t see a problem with collecting knives and not knowing how to sharpen or sending them away to get sharpened.

They are quality, at lest they have a reputation for it, idk about the new runs of them, but I’ve yet to hear anything bad. They were/ are made by Benchmade, but that may have changed. Either way they have the reputation for being some of the best sub $200 Balisongs.

No get the CPM-3v one, far suppiror all around. I have a San Mia Recond Tanto... it’s pretty and not bad, but prone to chipping.

>quality will be better
No not really. The most spectacular sharpening work I see is done free hand... ive been non-intensively free handing for years and have yet to get the same quality of my Wick Edge. for the time and effort yes a set angle makes getting super clean polished a lot easier, but I’ve yet to see a set angle that can do a full 0 termination convex, Like you can free hand.

Attached: 8E587FFF-1857-4851-AED5-11D2173D7342.jpg (2048x1536, 782K)

Free hand sharpening is for fags, normal guys use guided sharpeners. Discuss.

Dunno. You do seem like someone that would know about fags.

Cold Steel Luzon: great or shit?

Attached: luzon.jpg (396x127, 5K)

Whats the best sub $100 folder and best sub $100 fixed blade to buy right now? Im in the market but cant blow too much sadly.

3V or VG1.

Great if done correctly. Better than a folding knife.

Attached: IMG_2503.jpg (4608x3456, 2.56M)

Attached: DSC02195.jpg (1600x1200, 500K)

jesus, what the mechanical fuck is that transformer dildo on the left?

Attached: inkling-confusion.jpg (680x680, 43K)

For fixed get a Mora
For folding get a spyderco

Someone explain this

Attached: Ray-1.jpg (1000x1000, 92K)

I would nominate the Cold Steel Code 4 spear/clip for the best all around utility folder. I like it more than the similarly priced Spyderco, Benchmade, and Kershaw options. Really solid knife for $85.

Kek at first I thought you were asking about the caliper.

It's a Nitecore Tm26 2014 edition, 4000 lummen. I got a great deal on it a couple years ago, it's a really solid car/pack light.

Attached: Nitecore TM26 compilation (2).jpg (4895x5537, 3.79M)

Shitty tacticool knife... is that the same brand as the Invictus watches? Well if it is, at lest it's not a somewhat original design and not a copy lyke the watches are.

Attached: Kershaw-Amphibian.jpg (1600x930, 331K)

Folder: Ontario RAT I or II
Fixed: Cold Steel SRK

Honorable mention to the Buck 119 for fixed blade. I'm not really into folders so I can't be much help.

Attached: Buck-119.jpg (3648x2048, 2.6M)

>all that fine shit
>nylon riser

Checking in. Chopstick joint is holding up good, just flies through cardboard like nothing else

Attached: 633CAC74-B294-4F26-997A-BDFDED3A5FC7.jpg (4032x3024, 1.56M)

the black Ruike is new. very sharp

Attached: knives.jpg (5851x1931, 2.06M)

Would you have preferred marble?

Free hand is faster, especially if you use low edge angles, and especially especially if you use a microbevel to apex your edges with low edge bevel angles.

The downside is it takes several thousand passes to build the muscle memory to hold a consistent angle.

>all that fine shit

>440c
you missed that as well

Sup gents.Got a little bit of a challenge for ya

Looking for a new knife, but I want something traditional looking (wood, bone, brass, etc), but still able to be one hand opened/closed with a locking blade. Pic related is pretty good, but was wondering if anyone had any other ideas.

Attached: CRKT Lakes PAL.jpg (850x500, 258K)

can't find anything "VG1"

What Is CPM-3v? I can't find it online.
do you mean VG 10?

>tripfag goes for walk
>tripfag spys a deer
>turns on flashlight
>deer freezes
>tripfag laughs and begins to walk up to deer for lewds
>tripfag gets within 3 yards of deer before deer is incinerated.
>tripfag remains a virgin.

Im the Edge pro guy,i should elaborate, an edge pro isnt inherently better, but it is much easier to get very good results on, with a few hundred hours of practice you can get bettet or my specialized edges on freehand stones, but the difference isnt so huge id say freehand is better generally. If you frequently use your knives, id suggest a consistent angle sharpener over stones, altho maybe not the edge pro apex if money is a worry. Mine was a gift

Is that a reaper?

Hihi steel-chan! cpm 3v is a non-stainless steel with 0.8% and significant chromium and vanadium addition. It is advertised as tougher than the current line of available powder metallurgy “knife” steels offered by crucible. However it will be more brittle than a plain carbon steel like SK5. Additionally the heat treatment process is less likely to be compromised, as carbon steel is less demanding than higher alloy steel to correctly heat treat. However it will not be nearly as stainless as VG1. It depends on what you want from a naifu. Naifu-chan has both a carbon-V and a aus8 cold steel recon tanto. Edge retention is a different value and dependant on several material properties desu.

Attached: 71332500-A1CD-4417-9829-D7988FB69288.jpg (3264x2448, 2.04M)

I found a bloody 110 in the garbage with a missing tip. Do you think a snapped tip is covered by the warranty, or will I have to pay the 10 bucks to have em reblade it?

r8

Attached: OZPY-d29l7c.jpg (1280x722, 221K)

Virtuovice videos and King Stones, or Chosera if you can afford (or if you want a combination the king stones are great for their higher grit but for reprofiling since a Chosera stone will cut faster in general it may be worth it to buy their lower grits. Contrary to my gut feeling, perhaps worth mentioning)

Which cold steel metal is the most valuable?
And which one is the most rugged?
I'd like an SRK without a coating. But it looks like my only options are San Mai variations.