They shall not grow old

I’m gonna go see this movie tomorrow. I hope peter Jackson does it justice and doesn’t gloss over how fucking horrifying this war really was.

Attached: AA651671-80BC-41F1-96BD-BEEA8124F795.jpg (400x592, 90K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gXYfnWRp1Q0&t=213s
wingnutwings.com/ww/aboutus
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Meh. It was OK.

Being from the states I would have at least liked a small mention of US soldiers in the war. Nothing.

Not that that's why I think it could have been better. It kinda jumped around and then just ended.

The first ten or so minutes is British soldiers talking about what a great adventure they were about to have and going through basic training. It's all black and white and told through a 4:3 ratio small screen. Then it goes widescreen and the color happens.

Yes, they leave the gore in.

Probably because the US stayed out of the war until it was just about over.

I fully understand that. Doesn't change my opinion. Guess we could have stayed home and let the Euros kill each other in muddy stalemates for another few years.

Yes you should have.

>No hitler
>No cold war
>Israel doesn't exist

>Thread about a movie made to remember soliders who died in a horrific conflict
>Devolves into Jow Forums shitflinging in 5 posts
Can't say i'm supriesed, in the year 2000 +18

Attached: 1536448225630.png (1920x1080, 3.23M)

>people discussing history in a thread about a historical event

yep, pretty unbelievable

It was already ending. Ottoman was lost. Austria-Hungary was breaking apart with a full german army encircled.
If th U.S. did anything was to bring the war to an end before German collapse and giving birth to german revanchism because the victory wasn't total (+ gay president wilson that made from Versailles an half assed peace treaty)
I hope americans feel good about making insane profits out of these wars and getting on the side of the victors while the job is finished.

>implying we weren't a part of the Victor's side before actively fighting
What are supplies and ammo?

That's what we should have done. Thats exactly what any self interested white person who has seen how the world will turn out would have done

Bad goyim, no discussion of non kosher ideas allowed

I loved it.
The artillery sound design gave me an erection.

Hope we see the same thing done for WW2 footage in the future.

Attached: German Army WW2.jpg (834x1201, 554K)

>Being from the states I would have at least liked a small mention of US soldiers in the war. Nothing.

>British military footage about the British

No shit

I'm gonna go see this in a couple of hours so hopefully it's good. It's only playing today so can't be a procrastinating faggot.

Fucking christ, the uniforms aren't even that different. Are yanks really so insecure that they can't bear to go 15 minutes without having their national dick sucked? You could probably dub the damn thing with Operah like you (criminally) do with the rest of our docs and 99% of you fucks would probably eat it up as American stories from American servicemen anyway.

The film was purposefully designed to tell the human story of ww1 from a British perspective. I'd have loved to see more French and German elements, personally, but that's not ultimately what the film was about. It is what it is. Hopefully it means more archival footage from elsewhere gets remastered in a similar way because it was fucking sweet.

>I WOULDA WANTED MOAR AMERICANS
>Enter war in last year
>Lose 120,000 men compared to millions suffered by other Allies
>Losses largely due to American commanders scoffing at European advice learned over 3 years of trench warfare and using 1914 era or earlier tactics

I get WWII but the amount of dick wagging America makes over its combat role in WWI is unreal. Also inb4 eurocuck I'm an American.

Wasn't this on the BBC? You can probably pirate it right now.

>Guess we could have stayed home
What, and risk a defeated Britain defaulting on all the money they owed you? Not a chance.

The US could've kept supplying the Entente with guns&ammo without having to stick boots on the ground. Heck, it would've been preferable.

The source material is from the BBC, which is my it is so anglo centric

I don’t know why anyone is complaining. It’s was a movie made for European audiences. From what I’ve read it wasn’t even suppose to play in the states.
>t. Yank

Yup as an American i feel fine about that considering the shit England and France did to the Middle East

Just got home from seeing this. Was absolutely fascinating. Would recommend seeing it if you can.

>I would have at least liked a small mention of US soldiers in the war. Nothing.
Did you not watch the bit with Jackson after the credits? The point wasn't to examine every facet of the war but rather to focus on a more general trench warfare experience that would have been applicable to all armies in the war

>and then just ended
Were you not listening to what the voiceovers were talking about with their experience of the war ending? They had been so on edge for so long and then it suddenly ended and they felt nothing

I thought the movie was absolutely amazing. Everything about it flowed so perfectly, and it really did illustrate just how bad the war was. I just really want them to make more documentaries based on the other hundreds of hours of remastered footage they had.

He probably left when the credits started. 80% of the movie theater usually does when you’re in America. But if you’re smart American you’ll stay until the credits stopped to see if anything else appears.
That bit with Jackson was great. Very informational. Although I did feel a little unsatisfied only because I wanted to see more of that great film work that Jackson’s team put together. Absolutely great work.

This. I want another one. I was hoping to see footage of Verdun? I’m not sure if they showed any?

I apologize on behalf of burgers everywhere for this burgeranon's utmost retardation.

Attached: 1470612996182.png (524x395, 89K)

One thing I think Jackson got wrong, and I mean the only thing was that he said that most troops stories would’ve been the same. I would have to disagree, weren’t the British and most other troops reguraly switched out but the French had no sort of troop rotation. I believe a Frenchman would’ve had an even more horrifying story to tell, not much more horrifying but still.

This is one of the best doc’s i seen in a while. They did a great job of colorizing the footage and adding the sounds.

If any anons want to go see this there’s only one more day to go do it.

It's based on personal accounts of British vets. If you go in expecting anything else, you'll be disappointed.

>The artillery sound design gave me an erection.
Don't forget the fact they recorded the artillery at a live fire RZN Artillery field. The sounds they use are actual 105mm shells flying in and exploding.

I had been expecting more sequences with the voice actors performing lines and dialogue exchanges. But what was there was great anyway

And the sounds of the artillery being moved around was Jackson’s personal stash of ww1 armament.

I was so damn jealous when he said those were his own damn artillery.

I hated Jackson for fugging up the Hobbit. Now I'm 100% peanut butter in jealous that he has actual WWI Arty to use as a conversation piece.

It's also worthwhile to mention that JRR Tolkien's depiction of Mordor was directly inspired by his own experiences in No Man's Land.

Just got back from it, my only criticism is it would have been nice to see the fellows doing the talking, even if you just splash their face up for five seconds to put a face with the voice, it would have been a better experience imho. Other than that I though the restoration and colorization was phenomenal.

its amazing how many post-hoax absolute fucking newfags always parrot this bullshit.
Jow Forums existed before Jow Forums and Jow Forums has always been anti-nigger and anti-jew.
Literally anyone who says otherwise and parrots:
>hurr durr wai is Jow Forums fking up mai board?!
has been posting here less than 2 years and should unironically kill themselves.

It was the dead marshes, user.

Attached: deadmarsh.jpg (771x558, 41K)

they even managed to include the lighter moments of the war.
Gott mit uns.
yeah, we got mittens too.

ever hear of Poe's law you dumb fuck? People used to do it ironically, but that's now been replaced by honest to god stormfaggots being actual fucking cunts. You Jow Forumsfags ruined casual racist edgy humor for me, I hope you're happy.

>.t 2007 newfag.

>You Jow Forumsfags ruined casual racist edgy humor for me
I've never posted on Jow Forums once in the 10 years I've been here, and the fact that people on an entirely unrelated board ruined your humor for you is hilarious you special snowflake faggot. Go cry elsewhere.

Jacksons pretty cool, he even made his own scale model company which has become the gold standard for 1/32 scale WWI aircraft.

The lighter parts were some of my favorite. I loved the part right after talking about how horrific the fighting was and showing the wounded where they included the clip of the bird annoying those two guys

I was surprised that the German POWs were treated well by the Brits, because their propaganda demonized the Germans as bloodthirsty savages after reprisals against civilians in Belgium and eastern France.

I've read an account from an American soldier who tried to stop Frenchmen who were beating up German POWs. The Frogs told him "well, you entered the war late, and your homeland hasn't been ravaged like ours. You don't get to talk"

The series "Apocalypse: WWI" had a few accounts of Frenchmen who admitted to fantasizing about summarily executing German POWs. One went along the lines of "I feel the weight of cartridges in my pocket; I wish to plug Prussian bellies full of them. The enemy is so close and I regret not killing him"

However, my knowledge of WWI is rudimentary, and those are just two anecdotes of a larger picture. It's an ignorance I'm in the process of curing.

Gonna see it in a week, lost some older relatives in the war, kinda odd knowing some of them could be in. it and i will never know.

>Jow Forums existed before Jow Forums and Jow Forums has always been anti-nigger and anti-jew.
The difference is that we say it more out of edginess and banter, for Jow Forums it is a religious truth that doesnt allow any objection since it would be blasphemy. So fuck off with your gas lighting attempts.

Saw much more ass than I expected.

It's unfortunate I'll never get to ask a WWI vet if he would've preferred American troops not entering the war but I guess your opinion will do.

Does Winston Churchill ride a surfboard down a set of stairs while machinegunning Nazis? That would be so killer

Did the Australians get sent in like cannon fodder?

Shut up faggot. Never give into bong criticism.

>implying i didn't pirate it when it first came out because burger and watch it from a historic perspective

The Nazis aren't around yet. But here. This'll tide you over.

youtube.com/watch?v=gXYfnWRp1Q0&t=213s

>he even made his own scale model company
Y...yo...you don't want to tell me that Wingnut Wings is Peter Jackson's love child, r..right?

>Wingnut Wings
wingnutwings.com/ww/aboutus
Sorry, man.

>wingnutwings.com/ww/aboutus
>Sorry, man.

No need to be sorry. I find that fucking awesome. I mean, look at Spielberg, Hanks, now Jackson: They all do their part to push military history. They use their wealth to make it better, more interesting for everyone.

Ditto

T. 2006 fag

At the end he tries to say that he doesn't think anything would be different about a story told from the perspective of Indians, Chinese, or Americans who fought in the war compared to the British. That basically ruined the movie for me because it showed how completely out of touch with everything he is. American attitudes towards the war were very different, whether they were doughboys, people back home who didn't really understand why it was happening or why we were involved, or whatever. To say nothing of the fucking Indians, who I'm totally sure were just universally thrilled to be going to war for colonial generals who gave even less of a shit about their lives than they did the lives of british poors who were made to fight in the war.

The british interviewees at the beginning came across as almost insane. The audio footage was basically all of them talking about what a great time they had and how they were sure glad for their whole lives that they got to participate in the war. Like... wut?

I really didn't like it. It felt like Peter Jackson just indulging himself and his own warped view of WW1 that somehow hasn't matured at all since he was 12.

>that part where they go over the top and it shows pictures of men before and after they were killed

Attached: 20181130_054608.jpg (717x678, 171K)

They must be stopped.

Attached: T9ga8.png (500x745, 489K)

Bah. The 1918 influenza lost the war for the Germans. They would have kicked your ass without the Americans to bolster your puny forces.

"everything I don't like is Jow Forums"

Took my dad to see it with me, drive an hour and a half. Was amazing, theater was full of ancient old men and their wives and a bunch of other men. Weird thing was there were several gangbangers who got up and left after 20 minutes and a fat black lady who yelled "that's gross" when they showed the trench foot. Unfortunately the dude next to me brought his gf who kept saying how depressing it was and that she wanted to leave... The whole film. Gonna go see it again on the 27th and I strongly suggest anyone that can see goes and sees it in a theater.

No, but bringing up the nazis and israel in a thread about WW1 is Jow Forums's autism.

I fucking missed the showing last night because I thought it was today. Now the ones near me on the 27th are all for 1pm and 4pm for some reason.

Fuuuuugggggg

Jackson talks about how the technique was to shoot wide scenes.
Talks about how he zooms in and plans to focus more on action

He better never talk about "muh artistic direction" if his movies are shown in different aspect ratios, zoomed in, or put into VR via new computer effects

>>No hitler
Stalin would have just steam rolled Europe at some point
>>No Cold War
It’s still would have happened but they would have been more powerful without an iron curtain drawing the line on their territory
>>Israel doesn't exist
I’ll give you that, would have been nice

>poltards try to force their bullshit into everything out in the open
>get called out for it
>we didndunuffin, that is polcist

Was the Zimmerman telegraph faked too, Willieboo?

I saw it last night in 3D and enjoyed most of it. One little thing I thought was cool was how they went back to black and white / silent when peace was declared. It had been so immersive that it kinda felt like we walked through a door into a past, lived with them for a bit, and had to leave. It kinda felt like how I imagine the people in Field of Dreams would have felt to see these baseball legends come back for a time, watch them live again just like before, and then go back into the cornfield.

Tbh there is a point here
>checked

>The british interviewees at the beginning came across as almost insane. The audio footage was basically all of them talking about what a great time they had and how they were sure glad for their whole lives that they got to participate in the war. Like... wut?

Those were literal accounts of actual veterans. If they wanted to I didn't get the impression of "lol war is fun" at the beginning at all. It sounded more like "It was awful, but it changed me in a good way". Someone even said "If I survived that, I could survive anything" as a worldview they took on after war's end.

At the end they literally talked about how civilians were so out of touch with them and had no idea what kind of horrible things they'd been through and it was something they could only discuss with other vets.

Attached: ww1 Brew up.webm (1280x720, 2.98M)

Saw it last night. It was alright, just when I was starting to doze off it ended. The post credits sequence where it shows how then cleaned everything up was more interesting. Also the upgraded quality revealed that the cliche about British teeth was duly earned

I know it's he's not 100%, but Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armageddon goes into this. WW1 was so hellish partially because so many men were caught up in romantic notions of war. At the open of WW1 the world was prosperous and hadn't seen a major war between european powers in decades. He says something along the lines of '"without the memories of long summers spent with sweethearts to keep both sides going, WW1 could never have hit the intensity that it did."

I think what struck me most about that train of thought was the connection with the German tradition of wearing flowers. Carlin reads out a diary entry from a British soldier who talks about mowing down fresh German conscripts by the hundreds, and they're all wearing the flowers they left home with. It was humanising, and very in the tone of They Shall Not Grow Old i think.

If anyone thinks that modern people are too lazy and comfortable to handle warfare I strongly encourge them to read about WW1 in detail. People then, similar to today, were accused of being too soft to defend their way of life but then they went off and murdered and killed by the hundreds of thousands.

Attached: german floers.jpg (620x983, 97K)

The Hobbit was 100% the studios fault, Jackson was pushed in late after the previous director pulled out. He had almost 0 prep time compared to the multiple years he had on the Lord of the Rings. If you watch the behind the scenes he's constantly rushing about and doing his best with extremely limited time/resources. There's a bit where he calls a break and sends the crew out and he sits down and just looks like he's about to die.

Attached: Punished Jackson.jpg (480x360, 22K)

>After much discussion, we decided that the war was starting tomorrow and the party proceeded

I lost my sides after that. It's surreal to know that people a hundred years ago weren't much different than people are now

Because both Brits and Germans hated the French and figured the war was more their fault than their own. French especially hated the Germans since it hadn't been that long since their defeat at the hands of prussians in the Franco Prussian war

Nothing is banter when you research statistics. You're a mighty big retard to think people are joking here

Also think in regards to the period of time. Pride in one's country was expected, not criticized and men then acknowledged a responsibility and duty to defend their country from their enemies

>tfw that part where the guy was talking about how during an assault through no mans land, one of his comerades was blown apart and screaming for his nanny
>he had to shoot the guy to end his misery
>tfw he chokes up when talking about it and says that it hurt him to do that

Not gonna lie that part hit me like a truck