Footwear thread

Lets get a footwear thread, what are you all wearing?
I just got a pair of OBOZ Bridger treking boots qnd love everything about them. Built like a tank.

Attached: images-1.jpg (600x390, 19K)

The best footwear are British made this is a fact

Maybe if all you have worn are british boot. USA and New Zealand both make excellant boots.

Are Merrells still the go to shoe for operating? Seems to work best in urban and outdoor terrain.

Merrell vs. Salomon

>best

Says who? I've worn many different brands that all held up just as good if not better. I went with oboz after my merrells torn apart on me.

So far they are incredibly promising.

It's either Lowa Zephyr TF or Salomon Quest for operating right now.
t. LARPer

>no wide widths
>you will never operate, you will stay inside in your flipflops...

Attached: 68c48c9c9537aa54004751d313f8c915-935x512.jpg (935x512, 44K)

Asolos are the way to go

Then buy from a different brand, retard.

Shitkickers are max comfy and max aesthetics.

I wore a pair of Salomons on a 30 mile coastal hike and were filled with nothing but regret once they got wet.

They held up really well and protected my feet and ankles, also allowing me to walk ON the sand instead of sinking down like my friends were. But even as light weight as they were, once hit with a rogue wave and inundated with salt water, it started 3 fat blisters even with regular sock changes and drying every night. Still had a great time though, they were 4D GTX’s btw

I will shill for Merrell anyday. Also, can vouch for the Adidas Terrax hikers being good shit.
I wear Georgia boots. Their 8" logger to be exact, non steel toe. I hate tac boots in every way.

I wear danner boots, they're pretty fucking comfy and are tall up the leg

Who in the fuck wears hiking boots into ocean waves? You must be literally retarded to do so and then be surprised at the results. This would happen with almost any hiking boots. Don't blame the fucking boots blame yourself for not knowing the proper use of your boots. For the record I have a pair of Salomon Quest 4d gtx's and they are absurdly good. Pic related

Attached: IMG_20181217_110853702.jpg (5344x3006, 3.38M)

that sweater looks super comfy.

Are there any hiking boots that look nice? I know function should prioritise form in this case but I still can't stomach the looks of them

I know what you mean lol, for some reason just about every hiking shoe/boot look absolutely hideous

I like em both for different reasons.

Mainly because I couldn't find salomons in a size wide.

So just buy em both and say fuck it

>pic related, killed my moab gen 1 after about 1.5 years of daily usage

Attached: 20180830_160518.jpg (1920x1080, 736K)

I've been wearing the Sawtooth for two years, holding up pretty well but a few of the metal rungs are too sharp on the inside. I had them send me some new laces. I looked at Salomons but they didn't really fit for the hot weather I'm in 90% of the time.

Merrell's suck. They've sucked for the better part of a decade. They're "amazingly light" because they're practically cardboard on the inside. The new Keen shoes are just as bad. If you want a Keen the only ones still made in the US are the leather boots. The rest are being made by children in a Vietnamese tobacco barn.

Are work boots allowed in this thread or is it only for operators and hikers?

Attached: Danner - Power Foreman ST.jpg (1200x1200, 286K)

Attached: 61oUbEHvtUL._UY523_.jpg (507x523, 24K)

Was gifted pic related by an old nam' vet neighbor. Worn these for 5+ years, still haven't worn through soles.
I still use these old jungle babies for everyday wear, hunting, working, everything. I have some vintage Corcorans I wear in dressy situations, but these are my girls. Love them to death

Attached: 20181217_112530.jpg (2576x1932, 1.78M)

Lundhags boots
Lowa Zephyrs mids
Salomon speed assaults

basically.

They'll separate right were the sole connects to the upper after about 2 months rendering if you actually use them regularly other than that I'll give them a solid 5/10

They look like you hardly ever use them

I was issued a pair of these and wear them every day, they’re comfy af. I might try and get some in a different colour civvy side.

Attached: E0B86B9E-9472-461E-BD69-432000DDF864.jpg (450x400, 51K)

This isn't on topic at all.
Here's your herb and 3 seconds.

30yr old wool cable knit sweater from Ireland my Dad's step-dad got as a gift and literally only wore once. Comfiest thing I've ever worn

Salmon

I wear a Lowa model called the Toledo but can't find jack shit info about them online.

Lol I said it was a coastal hike not a beach day retard, with lots of little streams, brooks, and areas inundated with waves at high tide.

The insulation on them helped with the constant cold and the miles of jagged rocks to cross. And the boots wouldn’t have gotten wet if my friend could read a tide chart to save his life, which, would’ve prevented the boots from getting wet, and it was the only time the actually got wet. They held up really well and definitely saved my feet

Nigga what? Do you mean you bought them because they were compliant? Or did your unit buy them? I've never seen or heard of Big Army/Marines issuing anything like that.

I've put a few hundred miles on them. I just take care of them and keep them clean

Respect for a Danner poster

All I need

Attached: 20181217_155627.jpg (1960x2046, 1.78M)

only ever see office dorks wearing shit like this when they go out on the floor, same with redwings

real work boots are walmart tier garbage you burn through in a year

Except they're not. All those fit like trash and never make it past 8 months and they are uncomfortable the whole time. I'm a medic and my feet would be trashed if I had to spend 12hr stretches in anything but Red Wings, Danners, etc. Going on 3.5 years with a pair of 4473 steel toes. I guess it depends on your work though. My feet get scraped by furniture and run into with stretchers and just getting in and out of the ambulance takes it toll on boots. Always out in whatever shitty weather especially during winter is rough on them. Buy once cry once.

Dude I love my flop flops.
>pic related
I wear them 90% of the time, even in North Carolina winters. I have 3 pairs of these two are the same and the 3rd is a little darker. It's a habit I guess I cant break because fuck change

Attached: Screenshot_20181217-160545_Samsung Internet.jpg (1440x2960, 390K)

hahahaha no

I've actually been really disappointed in my Oboz. The mid-sole is a foam-like material and it's fucking disintegrating. I'd be pissed if I'd paid full price but I got them discounted through work so they cost about as much as a pair of Moabs.

D A N N E R M A S T E R R A C E reporting in
The Super Rainfirests on the right are now a forestry season in and have probably 800 miles on them.

Attached: 20180523222835156.jpg (4032x2268, 3.73M)

Got a pair of those from REI a few years ago OP. Outsole came unglued within 6 miles of light backpacking.

Are Docs Jow Forums? I've had a pair of pic related for about 5 years and they are comfy as hell once broken in.

Attached: black-greenland.jpg (2000x2000, 686K)

hahaha yes get a real job faggot

>Not wearing Altama OTB maritimes

How the fuck are you going to take that beach?

Attached: images.jpg (259x194, 10K)

laces are for the big gay

Attached: boots.jpg (1200x1500, 188K)

I mean I was literally issued them from stores. I’m in the CAF doing BMQ so we still get our footwear issued.
They’re altama foxhounds for anyone interested.

My man. Once I found Ariats I haven't looked back but desu those look super comfy

Hahahaha no.
That's not dirt by the way.

Attached: red wing covered in mystery substance.jpg (1384x673, 362K)

Wear these every day.

Am I autistic. Doctor says no.

Attached: salomon-quest-4d-2-goretex.jpg (1000x861, 114K)

Maybe you are, but those are some good fucking shoes.

You're a accepted, but get some leather boots, synthetics are for the weak willed and communist.

Attached: IMG_20181217_150231_860.jpg (960x1280, 170K)

>What is hiking?

Walk 100 miles in a week wearing those then tell me how much you hate laces.

Hiking gear in casual settings is extremely autistic and more than once has someone made fun of you behind your back.

Sounds like you got a dud pair, I've worn oboz in the army (Australian).. no problem.

Keens steel toes, the brown ones with a boot hook that come 2 inches or so above your ankle.

>few years ago

I'm sure they would have updated it, but then again it's my first time buying this brand. Op here by the way, I'll stick to what i said about it being built like a tank and it feels incredibly comfortably and stable.

I'll be running them hard and will post here on how they hold up, they will be around lots of water, dirt, sand, rocks etc..

I'll be damned, i wear mine for outdoor activites and normal strolls in the city with my jeans.

Attached: eba5366c-900d-50a2-910a-195042f74d72.jpg (800x600, 88K)

>few years ago
What are you quoting there? I didn't get these "a few years ago."

I bought them almost exactly a year ago, actually, and they haven't been used that hard for how chewed up they look. The mid-sole is disintegrating and the stitching is blowing out. My GF has had the same experience with hers.

Post photos so i know what to look out for.

Example of stitches walking out.

Attached: 20181217_173011.jpg (4032x1960, 1.97M)

Normal from sharp rocks, post outta sole damage.

Also looks like they have been used and abused.

Midsole coming apart and separating from the rubber.

Attached: 20181217_173327.jpg (4032x1960, 2.34M)

Rubber sole coming apart on GF's shoes.

Attached: 20181217_173123.jpg (4032x1960, 2.38M)

Nigger, it looks like you've done a couple thousand miles in those boots or just treat them like shit. Looks like I'm not even going to bother worrying about the build quality.

This is also the first time I've heard of such problems after looking at hundreds of reviews on various sites.

Attached: absolute state.jpg (1277x960, 219K)

Looks like they've hold up very well

Attached: 1532039438306.jpg (750x816, 80K)

>Also looks like they have been used and abused.
They really, really haven't, that's the thing.
I would say 95% of the wear these biots have gotten is just walking around town and the remaining 5% is light dayhikes in gentle terrain. For serious shit I use the Danners pictured in .

>it looks like you've done a couple thousand miles in those boots
I'm aware they look like that. That's the fucking problem.

Do you have before pictures? I just got my pair and it seems different, thicker longer rubber, thicker undersole on the treads, different placement of certain emblems etc...

I find it hard to believe these will get so damaged from city use unless you walk around dragging your feet. But as i mentioned here I'll report back;

Attached: 20181218_114449.jpg (4032x3024, 3.19M)

Look y'all, my GF and I essentially backpack professionally. Companies like Oboz sell us their shit at EXTREME discounts because they want other outdoors people to see us wearing it and tell them how great it is.

The garden-variety Oboz are light-use boots and less durable than Merrell Moabs. I've had Hi-Tecs last longer in more abuse than these boots.

The company also essentially gave me pic, related, which are the "extreme" version of the other boots posted. These were bought at the same time as the other pair and have considerably more use on them and have held up MILES better. I believe this is primarily because they don't have that dogshit foamy midsole and are actually made of proper rubber. However the stitching seems to be of higher quality as well.
Even then though I wouldn't buy a pair for the $200 they go for retail.

Attached: 20181217_174451.jpg (4032x1960, 3.11M)

I wear those whenever I'm not working.
T. Fellow autist, I guess

Does it still make you an autist if you think hiking boots are way confier than runners / sport shoes?

Attached: 20181218_133548.jpg (4032x3024, 1.98M)

If I kicked you in the mouth with my Danners, it'd most likely straighten out your teeth.

Attached: braces 4U.jpg (600x600, 73K)

>I find it hard to believe these will get so damaged from city use
Why would I lie about that, dude? I verifiably own the fucking boots, three pairs between myself and my gf. They've verifiably been used by us.

I'm giving you my honest opinion here based on my experiences.

>This is also the first time I've heard of such problems after looking at hundreds of reviews on various sites
I'm gonna blow your fucking mind here, playboy: most people don't use their gear that hard. Most people rocking Arc'Teryx jackets work behind a desk and wear the thing from their house to their car, their car to their office, their office to their car, and their car to their house.
Most people who own a Century US-made AK will confidently tell you it's an excellent rifle when the reality is they put 200 rounds through it a year.

I will not buy another pair of Oboz based on my experiences with them.
Sorry that's hurting so many butts.

Can anyone reccomend a boot thats made in US size 16 or 17?

hit the gym fatfoot

>Made in the US
Danner
Nick's
Whites

I've been fucking with quest 4ds for a month now

They're pretty light and comfy but jesus christ are the ankles THICC and my feet get hot, but wanted to try them out since I have non made-up personal experience of merrels falling apart too quickly and having a pretty meh tread pattern. I actually like danner boots the best but I always feel like they raise me 6" off the ground and I wanted to try something with more substantial ankle support whereas the shaft of danner boots are like chuck taylor hi tops

I meant a US size boot, not US made but thanks

20 dollar pair o' combat boots from amazon. Good ankle/tread heavy duty

I have super wide flat feet and salomons are dope. Go to a store and try them on if you haven't

they're like diving fins with lugs

Nah, Italian (La Sportiva, Scarpa) and French (Garmont).

Are the surplus german boots on varusteleka worthwhile? They're made by haix and i can always replace the sole, or should i just get new?

You have to be a imbecile to wear used military boots, enjoy your bad knees and back.

Care to explain why?

Garmont is Italian my guy. Salomon is French.

Never knew, even better.

bigfoot pls. Also post pic of your foot with something for reference

those are my hiking boots

you guys are delusional.
if you want ankle support? get westerns
if you want laces? get some cross trainer sneakers
there is zero reason to have laces on boots

cowboy boots are for riding horses user, and nothing else. Quit being a fag.

Danner Tachyons. Fite me.

I will. Danners imported boots are significantly lower quality than their made in USA boots. At that pricepoint you have significantly better options.

Even GT recommends Salomon.

Personally I would never recommend these for regular hiking, however (too heavy). If you're hiking just get their sneaker models, like the Speedcross, Wings or XA Pro models.
I switched from boots to sneakers about 10 years ago and never looked back. I only use hiking boots for high mountain conditions in deep snow or where crampons are required. That said, there are trail runner models today designed specifically for use in ice or snow.

Attached: Salomon snowcross 2.jpg (900x900, 70K)

They are already far broken in, and molded to that specific wearers foot. It's very bad to buy used military boots.

Been rocking these. Basically moabs but 8''

Attached: 20181218_035803.jpg (3264x2448, 2.74M)

any suggestions for someone with 12 double wide ogre feet, i've found that only merrells in a size up fit me decently

I know that feel as I have 4E width. Merrells and Keens in wide is all I can wear.

Coyote Rockies s2v are the best things to ever fondle my feet save OP's wiener

I had good luck with asolo wides.