I finally got to take my AR to a range, and I discovered that I'm a horrible shot, wut do?

I finally got to take my AR to a range, and I discovered that I'm a horrible shot, wut do?

Attached: 1539829107136.png (309x310, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=4 fundamentals of marksmanship
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Get better

Practice fuckass

slow down, just focus on learning your 4 fundamentals and relax

Keep going until you're not shit anymore.

Post groups and describe your shooting procedure if you really want help.

What are the 4 fundamentals of marksmanship?

lmgtfy.com/?q=4 fundamentals of marksmanship

Practice. 556 is an easy round to learn with. If you want to get good, slow way down and take your time. Squeeze the trigger with the middle of your index distal.
When shooting off hand, pull the rifle with your support hand into your shoulder. Your firing hand should be applying no rearward force, doing this will throw off your shot.
Additionally, keep your front post in the center of the ring.

Most importantly, make sure you make your range trips frequent. If you want to get good, practice OFTEN.

Don’t tell me, I already know.
Tell OP

Attached: E6512017-29C1-450E-9869-6ABCF43E7ACD.jpg (640x480, 62K)

I don't have a picture (out of shame) but I had about a foot between each hit at 100 yards from the prone without a rest. It was a silouette target and all 3 shot were on it, but the group was horrible. I lined up the top of the post at center mass ad squeezed when I was breathing out. I lost my sight picture every time I shot even though it was 5.56, is that normal?

This isn't jeopardy m8

>>practice blab blab blab

Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Attached: FB2C1DA2-101C-4A0F-B3E0-8BB30B1B529F.jpg (1625x910, 223K)

Shooting prone is a much different experience than shooting offhand from the standing or crouch. It's absolutely normal to lose sight picture when shooting prone and unsupported. I'd never recommend a novice try it until you get good at shooting offhand or off a bench.

You'll never get perfect until you make mistakes and learn how to correct them. Unless you have someone instructing you, the only way to learn is through trial and error.
I think OP is beating himself up way too hard and I encourage him to try again. Even if his 12" group turns into a 10" group, it's improvement. And that's why we practice.

I shot off hand at about 25 yards and had about a 6 MOA Group, is that good or shit?

>>prone
There are four standard rifle-firing positions
Figure out if you were doing it right and then look hereI wasn’t there.

Ok, you are clearly a complete beginner, you need to learn the fundamentals of shooting. We all started out like this, and 100 yards with iron sights is a long way for a beginner. Start at 25 yards (im not kidding) and consider using a .22 rifle.

The first thing you need to work on is being more consistent. Hold the rifle the same way each shot. Put your cheek on the stock in the same place each shot. Line up your sights in the same way on each shot. This will improve your group 90% right off the bat. Don't even worry about breath control and all that yet.

Then start working on your trigger pull, and mentally focusing on the fact that you WILL NOT FLINCH. Keep that thought present in your mind with every trigger pull, "I will not flinch." You know the recoil won't hurt you, don't fight it, let the gun jump a bit. A lot of beginners start to flinch because they concern themselves with fast followup shots. Don't worry about that, that will come later. Focus on your slow, steady trigger squeeze, keep slowly adding tension until it just fires. Don't jerk the trigger hard.

Make sure you are in a good, stable shooting position. You should feel comfortable, and you shouldn't be straining your neck to see through the sites. Steady + stable = good groups. Also, always take pics and keep targets when possible, and write down the caliber, range, and date you shot the group. I like to look back and see how much I have improved.

>trial and error
But If you're practicing the wrong things, you're just going to get really good at doing the wrong thing. The four fundamentals won't make you a 1337 operator in 2 weeks, but practicing the fundamentals of marksmanship for several years will

This and even if you have someone teaching you there is still a lot of trial and error.

That is dumb
Haven’t you heard of doing it right the first time?
OP has the answers
Learn how to the prone position
Learn how to 4 marksmanship fundamentals
Then go shoot.

Attached: 02D3BD9B-04E4-46C9-A0E7-C84A8F8A819A.jpg (273x185, 27K)

I recommend practicing in a sitting position with at least 2 points of contact before anything else. I myself have noodle arms, so any standing shooting is more an exercise in lining up and timing my sway than anything else.

Thanks for the advice and putting up with my newfaggotry user

I don't think they're interested in learning how to shoot, this seems more like a pity party desu
>you'll get em next time champ

That’s pretty bad OP
If you don’t know what you are doing the you are going to spend a lot of money on ammo
Practicing like this idiot suggests.
Read about how to shoot, how to hold the rifle, how to position your body.
Also, determine the zero of your rifle.
I suggest 200 yard zero.
If my kid can hit at 100 yards so can you

Attached: 90E174EA-3310-402C-BD68-A1EAD446A7CF.jpg (2592x1936, 1.84M)

Im assuming you mean six inch groups. Six MOA at 25 yards is 24 inch groups. And yea, that's not very good for a rifle. If you're shooting a pistol and getting six inch groups at 25 yards, then that's pretty good.

I agree,
What is the saying?
The dumb leading the blind?
>> the only way to learn is to fuck it up a few times.
>> just shoot more ammo
Sounds like advise from nogunz

I wanted to paint this truck, but I fucked it up the first 3 times and had to paint it 4 times... it’s the only way to learn.

Attached: 5A29384A-AB89-47D6-A820-99A3607DFFB0.jpg (1536x2048, 584K)

I meant a 6 inch group

>want to do something
>study up on how to do it right
>try it
>judge by results to see if you did it right
>if not, attempt to correct any errors
Are you suggesting that everything someone learns in theory will immediately translate into practice?

Okay. Generally MOA refers to a grouping at 100 yards. It's not exactly what it means, but it's how it is commonly used. 6in at 25 yards is okay depending on what you're shooting. Pistol? Pretty damn good. Rifle? Lots to learn.

Christ, I'm retarded, nevermind

>learn the rules
>follow the rules
>do the thing
>do the results match the outcome of what the rules clearly described?
>Yes? Good
>No? See steps 1-3 for further reference
The 4 fundamentals are extremely basic and easy to follow tenants, why do you think they're called the fundamentals? I really don't think that you understand how simple and reliable these things are. You really do sound like a nogunz when you say stuff like this

Attached: 1473394901618.png (618x478, 426K)

Its never the gun user...

Attached: FD207687-3E1E-4111-BE39-65EE8D07D457.jpg (360x360, 45K)

Find a little spot somewhere secluded (friends farm or somethin) to practice especially if you're self concious about being a bad shot. That puts off a lot of new gun owners I've met. They don't like being bad and having people see that they're bad.
Buy bulk ammo, shoot as often as your schedule allows. I mean that, shoot a lot.
Learn to control your breath and stuff.
Work on now jerking the trigger, work on not flinching (if you're even flinching)
Most importantly chill out, don't overthink It. Overcompensation is just as bad as loosely shooting everywhere.

The more you shoot, the more comfortable you get with your rifle and shooting in general, the better you are at shooting.

Good luck and don't be an idiot

dry fire is excellent practice, and you can do it at home.

I would look to see if there are any high power or appleseed clinics in your area, and attend one of them. You'll learn how to shoot full tilt competition mode with the sling and everything...

You were using a sling, right?

Uh, 6 MOA at 25 yards is 1.5 inches.

MOA does not refer to a grouping of a particular distance, its an angular measurement, and so can be applied to a grouping from any distance.

>Noguns here, but fuck you retarded faggots.

Sure, mathematically you're correct. But I've never heard of anyone applying MOA correctly as far as shooting goes. It almost exclusively refers to a grouping at 100 yards. Is it wrong and dumb? Sure. Doesn't stop anyone though.

Except that fucking up painting a truck ruins it and is extremely expensive, whereas shooting 5.56 is very inexpensive

You literally just said the same thing I said.

git gud
practice more
if you need to, get some help zeroing your AR