What the fuck is this?

What the fuck is this?

Attached: 1544503951781.jpg (2750x2750, 414K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qTy3uQFsirk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A mother gun feeding her young.

A muzzle loading belt fed gun, neat

Gun with 12 chambers chained together
Like a revolver but uhhh more freestyle

Pretty ingenious, your "assault weapon" back over 200 years ago

neat, found an article about it. interesting design, if a bit cumbersome.

Why not just make a revolver...?

Attached: wtf-557508.jpg (640x486, 44K)

Post link plx

Its a 12 shot chain feed, well chain chamber magaize rifle! The top plate has a pivot and latch so I could see them 'rapid' chain mag changes. Its percussion so possibly per civil war multi shot rifle,
>Neat!

Attached: 1485738454042.jpg (504x720, 61K)

Attached: 1326551394933.jpg (536x255, 12K)

Damn, that is genius.

Attached: 1480743166664.jpg (1500x541, 199K)

Attached: 1480748633139.jpg (651x500, 202K)

w-w-what the fuuucking fuckkk

>it hurts to be alive

Attached: ec3ae0f94267acf6196de692637420a64baf0a7c.jpg (559x295, 16K)

Its a broadside musket. You can shoot to both sides and to the front at the same time. They were very popular for repelling boarders on British galleons in the 1800s.

Attached: 1485739705478.jpg (660x497, 89K)

Pretty cool. You load powder, ball, powder, ball, etc. You can see the teeth on the rod under the barrel. Those will pull the hammers back and let them go with each pull of the trigger. So you can fire the front ball, then the one behind it, and so forth.

Attached: 1535720706371.jpg (1000x537, 37K)

Attached: camera.jpg (800x825, 150K)

no learn how to use the internet

Holy shit that's fucking genius.
Blackpowder-era guns were fucking cool as shit, I don't know where the meme that they were weak, slow, and inaccurate has come from, but it pisses me off.

G11 wood

Metal Storm shouldn't have been on future weapons, but on forgotten weapons.

'at's me mum

>Holy shit that's fucking genius.
It's a pretty clever solution to the idea of getting more shots without having more barrels, there was even a revolver based on this principle. There's some issues, however.

To begin with, for every shot, you still need another lock, this adds weight, but also complexity. This will be expensive to do.
The other is that with the manufacturing technology available, and the nature of the setup, the actual safety of this is less than normal, potentially far less, depending on how it is done.

For the revolver, you could have something like a .36 caliber 12 shot revolver, which sounds extremely impressive for the time, but then you have to consider that unless you want to make Ye Taurus Judge Of Olde, you need to keep cylinder length down, meaning you only can fit so much blackpowder for each ball, so in spite of high shot capacity, and technically a lot of room for powder, you end up with a rather weak load.

The superposed charge setup is less a viable commercial or military product, and more something that a true enthusiast has commissioned for himself from a good gunsmith.
A four-shot caplock pistol with just one barrel, can be really quite elegant and beautiful if done by a skilled craftsman, and taken well care of.

Attached: Walch Navy Revolver, 12-Shot .36 Caliber 'Superposed Charge'.jpg (1500x653, 85K)

Sneeki briki

>Blackpowder-era guns were fucking cool as shit,
I agree.

>I don't know where the meme that they were weak, slow, and inaccurate has come from, but it pisses me off.
There's some truth to it, in that it wasn't until the 1800's that rifled bores became a much more common thing (as well as the Minnie Ball making it easier and more worthwhile). Smoothbore muskets are quite exaggerated in how poor their accuracy is, with practice and learning how the individual musket patterns, you should have a pretty good chance of hitting a human sized target at 100ft.

There's also how blackpowder inherently is very dependent on the volume of powder, as well as projectile weight, for actual power. With smokeless powder you can have something like a .30-06 case necked down to .27 caliber, and what you get is a projectile going at absolute breakneck speeds. This doesn't really work with blackpowder, as it soon reaches upper limits for achievable speeds, meaning a small caliber bullet just isn't all that useful with a large powder charge.
This is why most old blackpowder military cartridges is some big fuckoff (for the time), 40, .45 or .57 caliber cartridge, you really wanted a large volume of powder, and a reasonably heavy bullet.

Wouldn't it just of been easier to make on a vertical screw so it descends allowing you to ability to have a larger magazine.

No it didn't, or did a magical fairy come and whack all the caps with a mallet at the same time?

It just cranked the chambers around one at a time.

People hadn't come up with the idea yet, basically.

Then you have the locks themselves.

Starting with the matchlock, you have a smoldering length of match-cord attached to a 'hammer' mechanism, along with a pan of gunpowder, you pull the trigger to spring the hammer forward and touch off the powder, which fires the gun.

Looking at the flintlock and miquelet lock (same thing), you have a pretty decent upgrade, you don't need to keep a match-cord lit, and the frizzen keeps the pan of powder covered, shielding against it falling out or getting wet (at least a bit). This works a lot better, and in my opinion is quite a clever little setup for the technology available at the time. However, you need to make sure your flint is in order, and the pan isn't airtight, moisture can and will affect your powder charge in some conditions and events. Pulling the trigger and getting a click is very much still a common reality.

The wheellock is kind of a diversion from regular development, and weren't much a common feature to most people. Fun fact, the wheel-lock was subject of some of the earliest gun control.

The percussion cap is where things get really exciting. Not only is the mechanically more simple than the flintlock (and especially the wheellock), but the primer charge ensures very reliable ignition, even in wet conditions. As long as the powder in the chamber is dry, the more intense discharge will not only ensure your powder goes off, but it will do so much faster as well, lock time is now shorter than it ever has.
This is an excellent step forward, but there's still things to contend with, such as bits of blasted caps jamming a mechanism, or the caps not being of proper spec and not fitting on your nipple properly.

Maybe, but then consider that the concept of the horizontal revolver was never particularly popular with people, at least in part because chain-fires were still a distinct possibility.

It'd be neat as hell to see Ye Olde Lewis though.

Revolvers go very far back actually, they just didn't get very practical until Samuel Colt got involved with them, and brought up the idea of linking the cocking of the hammer with the indexing of the cylinder (something which you did separately and manually before).

>Metal Storm Revolver

Holy shit

>Slaps side of gun
>thi-
>ND's all shots simultaneously

This makes me want to play Bloodborne. F u c k.

I'll have you know I'm a professional internet bullshitter sir. Don't you dare question my fanciful interpretations.

Neat

This superposed load stuff reminds me of the Belton Repeater, which had a removable magazine so you could reload it quickly. If they were to combine that movable lock with the Colier flintlock's self-priming pan, it would've been quite the advanced weapon of its day.
Then there's the Lorenzoni.

Attached: Belton repeating magazine flintlock 1.jpg (1920x1032, 91K)

In the sense that the Metal Storm isn't actually good for anything at all besides being mentioned in Guinness' World Records, yes.

The 1800's were an extremely curious and important time for firearms. Percussion caps, self-contained metallic cases, and rifled bores opened up a lot of new doors, but people were making some pretty crazy stuff even before those were common technology.

You should see all the wig shit the French were experimenting with.

>Now I know what you're thinkin... Did I fire 2 or 3 shots... Well to be honest... I'm wondering that too.

weird historical guns are my fetish

>A mother gun feeding her young.

Attached: Nugget farm.jpg (480x294, 11K)

>MFW mallninja shit predates malls by several centuries

Cocksucking commie faggots, ive been designing something very similar for the past year only automatic. Theoretically it will work just need a mill.

Not worth it's own thread faggot

Go suck start your glock faggot.

This amazes you? Even before there were malls, there were mall ninjas. I'm sure some caveman hit on the idea of using a torch as a light for his spear while he stabbed someone in some caveman war that was washed away by the river of time.

The original rooty tooty flash and shooty.

>implying the fricking Roman's didn't invent shopping malls in 25BC

Suicide flute?

and now i'm imagining roman-era fudds

>these ballistas are too complicated, they'll fail you when you need them most, now the pilum, that's a REAL weapon.

>48 shots.....

Attached: 594D2FC4-B1A7-460E-932E-A5C85D30D554.jpg (490x390, 46K)

AOE gun.

Well...
This is basically a Metal Storm from second millennium, innit?

Attached: 1545140715787.jpg (400x320, 38K)

Genius. A weapon to surpass metal gear.

Not bad, it even has a flash on it!

why does it have two hammers?

you fuckin know they existed

Looks like it works more or less like the harmonica rifles but in a circle rather than a line. Pretty cool.

Wasn't this among the first Browning patents?

>Board enemy vessel
>Kill five guys in half a section
>Cut up anyone left alive who isn't on their knees with hands in the air

Attached: Duck Foot Pistol.jpg (600x400, 34K)

because it's a rolling block action, the top hammer is for the breechblock

second*

Why are the barrels on these guns octagonal? Wouldn't it have been easier/just as difficult to make cylindrical barrels? Is a hollow octagon possessed of some hitherto unknown robustness not possessed of a round barrel?

Could you theoretically make a black powder gun with a frangible membrane between the powder and the projectile, to get a higher chamber pressure?

Why can I see that being completely true and possible?

No, its much easier to make an octagonal barrel from a rectangular rod of metal. You drill the bore out, and then instead of having to lathe the rectangle into a cylinder, you just cut off the corners.

Excuse the crudeness of the drawing

Attached: sketch-1545168745417.png (1080x1440, 173K)

What this user said, plus at some point it became tradition more than anything, and eventually fell out of favor (mostly) due to the fact that it's easier to get a polished blued surface on a cylinder than an octagonal barrel.

Turning will always be more geometrically precise than milling.

>Ugg invent spear with extra dried vines wrapped around end just behind spear head
>Ugg can make fire go on these vines so firelight come with Ugg when Ugg go into darkness with spear!
>Now Ugg am see what Ugg am poke in dark!
>cute cave girl call Ugg loser when ugg try show off firespear and spearhead fall off when fire burn bindings too
>said no let Ugg poke her in dark if Ugg's end fall off
>other cave girls giggle at Ugg
>ugg alone many days

Attached: modern-woman-walking-out-on-a-caveman-mick-stevens.jpg (700x500, 56K)

>Not use other hand for fire stick

Attached: obsidian.jpg (1181x787, 84K)

Barrels didn't start as Blocks they were Rolled by a Gunsmith, Hex barrels were just Fashion of the time when it came to guns

youtube.com/watch?v=qTy3uQFsirk

Octagon*

>camera worked by the trigger
>that kino shot of your bullet smashing through a perp

His dad was a gunsmith who made some harmonica bar rifles and was mildly famous locally for them, but I don't think JMB himself ever did.

He must have been crazy proud of his kid though.

It was easier and cheaper back in the day to make an octagonal, or hexagonal barrel, due to steel being delivered as square bar-stock.
These days though, you'd just put that shit on a lathe and turn it.

>Barrels didn't start as Blocks they were Rolled by a Gunsmith
That depends on who made it and when.
Damascus barrels were a particular style for shotguns, for instance, but lots of companies absolutely made octagonal and hexagonal barrels from square barstock.