Post a better cutting sword. Protip: You can't

Post a better cutting sword. Protip: You can't

Attached: compar1-1475176912.jpg (1034x634, 381K)

Considering the Falchion is designed to be the best cutting sword possible, I don't think anyone can either OP
Not great for a thread starter that

Attached: opfag3.png (560x382, 14K)

Someone could always post a two handed messer with a fairly broad blade.

Or a tegha, a specialized indian executioners sword (pic related)

Attached: ph-0.jpg (640x385, 18K)

Metallurgy did advance a little since then though.

dadao

Attached: chinese-da-dao.jpg (640x480, 27K)

Obviously this.

Attached: spadroonboth.png (255x255, 79K)

The spadroon does everything poorly

Nah, the spadroon is the best weapon in all ways and any context

A lang messer is the same
A Grosse Messer is superior to a falchion in every way.

As much as I fucking hate katana, technically its katana.
Now, can it translate to a dynamic situation as well as a falchion? Probably not, but how you worded the question. In just oure cutting ability under perfect situations, it's the katana.
The reason, a backword curve does assist in cutting, the katana is heavy for its length as well.
It is also a two handed, short weapon, allowing your power to be at most possible. And the push/pull method.
The blade is also very thick, making perfect edge alignment less of an issue than with thinner swords.
Fuck you you autistic faggot for making me argue for a fucking katana, but that's how retarded you are.

Thick blade being better for cutting cos stiffness.

Kinda feel like an ultra wide but thin blade with the same cross sectional mass is better

Stiffness of a blade aids in cutting. Stiffness seems to be effected more by the thickness of a blade more then the width.
Just how it works.
Now a thin wide blade will add weight, and could cut better, but blade alignment has to be absolutley perfect, which in reality is very easy to mess up, but if you could 100% of the time have perfect blade alignment, then maybe your idea would be correct.

I thought some of the later cavalry sabres were basically perfect

They were pretty bad cutters, though a big reason is the iron scabbards dulled the blades almost immediately.
They only cut ok from horseback, because you have crazy amounts of kinetic energy in the sword, having a galloping horse behind it.

i gotta disagree here, i have several antique cavalry sabres and they're all very effective cutters. Also, not all had iron scabbards, and of those that do the scabbard is constructed in such a way that the edge doesnt contact it

Practically. In combat, a sabre may cut better, but a sabre is better for combat in general, but pure cutting ability goes to the katana.

props for posting Kopciuch

>a backword curve does assist in cutting,
The curvature of a katana doesn't do much, but once you get more curved like a 1796 Light Cavalry Sabre or the blade will auto align itself making edge alignment much less of an issue.
Katana thickness is great for making people that put a little effort into cutting look good,
but it's not able to help with edge alignment to a point were it would be better in a situation where it's hard to concentrate than other thinner swords.

>pure cutting ability goes to the katana.

Pure cutting ability would go to Macuahuitl: Sharpest edges by far, and way more mass behind swings as well: the last surviving one in pic related was like 5+ feet long, for instance

Downside is obviously it's heavier, and the obsidian blades are way more fragile then a steel edge, but according to the spanish the blades still didn't break that often and even if they did you still have a huge fucking club and the blades were designed to be replacable anyways with modular blade slots.

Attached: Sketch of the last surviving Macuahuitl from the La Armeria Real collection.jpg (2267x280, 100K)

he's great. Handled probably 8 pieces by him now, always left happy

Is this now a falchion thread?

Attached: 15th-century-falchion_608849.jpg (640x446, 113K)

on this topic, I am planning on getting a stirrup hilted flank officers sword with a wedge section blade similar to pic related soon. probably this week

steel hilt, shagreen grip and black steel scabbard tho

Attached: P1010426.jpg (1024x768, 400K)

Those dont cut for shit, at least not a proper sword cut, a pure drawing cut it might cut better, but those are rare in sword combat. Maybe if spics could into steel your ancestory would be more badass, and you only have two swings with it before it's a club

>Those dont cut for shit
>You only have two swings with it before it's a club

Spanish sources say otherwise. You need to remember/know that the depictions you see with the blades having gaps between them is inaccurate/stylized, as seen in the sketch they formed a even cutting surface. Spanish source describe it cutting like "toledo blades", not just hacking or sawing. And, again, they also specify that the blades didn't break or get dislodged as easy as they'd think. It was not a use once per edge weapon, especially when used against flesh, cloth, etc.

Also not a spic, never understood the assumption people who know about Mesoamerican stuff are. Nobody assumes weebs are actually japanese, after all.

Literally any superior built saber with a greater curve will out cut your cleaver, boy

Attached: IMG_9838.jpg (500x304, 186K)

so like the one I posted in ?