Implementing genetic engineering

Will genetic engineering play a larger part in future warfare? If so, how will military units use it ?

Attached: double helix.jpg (247x185, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3404418/
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jgm.3015
bbc.com/news/magazine-26327114
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

that's called bio warfare. and it makes nukes look like kiddie play in terms of how many people it would kill, so mutually assured destruction.

Funny question, but would it be possible to create genetically-engineered/cloned creatures, like the BOWs in the resident evil games, then release them into a warzone, with simple orders and parameters programmed into their heads?

You could engineer shot lived soldiers with myostatin inhibiting genes for increase muscle mass and accelerated muscle development

You could make them with immunity to certain diseases by modifying RBC's as antibody carriers (a proven concept)

Select genes associated sleep cycles and exhausting prevention - they're also looked at genes involved metabolism of fat.

regarding biological weapons, show a few mobile genetic elements into an already nasty bacteria and you've god pan-drug resistance nicely packaged away as a integron it can then share with other species of bacteria too.

The benefit of using bacteria (heavily modified for maximum effect, naturally) is that you can then blast the affected zone with a targeted bacteriophage afterwards, and inject your soldiers with that bacteriophage pre-emptively so they can occupy the area.

nope. also, why send a big living thing that can die to do what a virus will do (kill your target) for a fraction of the cost, and more efectively?

except they've never done editing in vitro and can't guarantee 100% extent of reaction needed to make sure that the subject's own immune system doesn't kill him.

I have often wondered if keratin producing skin calls could be engineered to express flakes of graphene or similar futuristic materials. You'd think they'd be able to find / modify a protein that normally works with carbon rings (which are prolific in biology) and turn them into graphene sheets.

shove enough tiny flakes of graphene between keratin in the skin,m and you'd probably make the skin much more durable

or consider the following: an agent drops a small package containing your pathogen in a highly populated transit hub.

we've editing many things in vivo. For example, the adenosine deaminase-severe combined immuno deficiency (ADA-SCID) was successfully treated via long terminal repeat (LTR)-regulated gammaretroviral vectors to correct a genetic issue that caused the disorder.

read here for many successful gene editing trials

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3404418/

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jgm.3015

this too

>Retroviral

>editing

confirmed for no idea what you are talking about. this just produces a copy of a gene to be expressed in the cell. the original gene is still expressed. this is more of a "out-compete the wild type" approach than an "edit the genome" approach.

A weapon to surpass Metal Gear!

Attached: 5BEB6B2C-6BF4-40DF-AF1A-4601246A6A6C.png (500x333, 233K)

Although still in preclinical development, proof‐of‐principle for the use of nonhomologous end‐joining to correct a pathogenic splice‐site mutation has been reported for congenital muscular dystrophy type 1A in mice106 and may ultimately replace the use of oligonucleotide‐induced exon skipping in some cases. Further refinements, such as the identification of alternate nucleases with reduced off‐target effects, are already showing potential for gene therapy applications107, 108; however, the ability for precise locus repair in sufficient cells for therapeutic benefit has placed demands on current technologies.
big thonk

No it probably won't. The process for doing it to an adult will be so cost exorbitant for such little benefit nobody will be able to afford it, it'll get scoffed at and the techniques and technology would probably get lost. If it's done on kids they're going to be considered test subjects that are too valuable to lose in a risky conflict so they'd get put in command positions from the get go rather than anything else.

Bump

Modifying viruses to target or exclude genes unique to specific ethnic groups.

Genetic engineering will inevitable lead to the death of humanity

>how will military units use it ?
Catgirls on the frontlines. Come on, user. How is it not obvious?
define humanity and prove it

Attached: WeDidItForTehLulz.jpg (623x345, 28K)

Every great species is its own selector, genetic engineering will give away our power of selection to an outside force, the computer. We will become to the computer what a dog, sheep or cow is to us but multiplied several times over.

>Walk into thread thinking my Masters degree will finally come in handy
>All other anons are already discussing in depth techniques

Damn son, when did y'all get so smart

Some of us also have degrees. M.Sc biotech, halfway through masters medical biotech

I read this in Dr. Strangelove's voice.

Working on my M.Sc. in biomedicine right now.
Do you think the recent chinese Crispr kids are genuine?

I recon there's a chance of it. I also think that (if the reporting is accurate and genuine) it'll be interesting to see if it works, and whether there are indeed any off target effects

Lmao we learn things on the internet. Imaginary awards are not required for knowledge.
You went into debt for nothing!

Attached: 1542509993946.gif (320x240, 2.65M)

>Debt

Lmao, my tuition is 240 Euros for six months, I make that in two weeks of part time work
I'm convinced those kids will be riddled with cancers by the time they are three years old if the recent papers on untargeted mutagenesis of Cas9 are correct

You get a degree because employers require actual proof of knowledge. Rock up to a pharma company and say you went to the college of google and try to get a job, see how it goes.

Also, the countless lab hours and hands on experience. I could never work where I do not (cell culture system design / testing) if i'd not done labwork with human tissues, and I guarantee you no one without a degree gets to do that.

lmao whatever fag, enjoy working at starbucks with your faggy degree
Meanwhile I'm learning everything I need to know for free on youtube and pubmed.

Attached: 1522570548531.png (600x600, 305K)

What percentage of your income do you pay in taxes?

And all that knowledge will get you no-where unless you can prove it to an employer.

FYI, also not in massive dept cos I'm also not in the stupid american system

None, since I'm a student and make less than the amount necessary to pay taxes.

That's the primary reason I doubt anyone will adopt the process for children. If you're going to have a kid it's going to turn out as a kid. If you start modifying it and changing it, it's not your kid anymore. It's an adoption.

>Live in the US
>Pay more Taxes than Germany
>Still have to pay tuition and healthcare

bbc.com/news/magazine-26327114

The absolute state of amerilards

Attached: 1527358835002.png (447x378, 11K)

Reporting with MS Chemical Engineering,, 'sup breh?

Current social engineering shames people for stating the obvious truth that their kids being their biological offspring matters.

And people wonder why there are so many ancaps here

Attached: 1543628178952.png (1672x1440, 405K)