Ok id figure there would be some hunters here. Maybe some small game hunters. MAYBE even air rifle hunters

Ok id figure there would be some hunters here. Maybe some small game hunters. MAYBE even air rifle hunters

So im in the market for an air rifle. Gamo sells a great one but its .177 and id like a .22. Now I know nothing about air rifles over what ive skimmed a bit. ALOT of people say .22 is the way to go for my game...rabbit...but ive seen alot use .177. Id figure maybe go .177 with heavy pellets or just throw some extra cash down for a .22? Any general air gun or pellet info would be appreciated.

Attached: PY-3796_Remington-Tyrant-XGP-Air_1473259973.jpg (1600x1200, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10645725
youtube.com/watch?v=_vt_wpOyzYs
gamousa.com/product.aspx?productID=477
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

I would get 4.5 mm only because you don't need a firearms license for it

nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10645725

There was that kiwi cop that got ded with a .22 air gun, so I'd say go with the .22, they obviously work.

>4.5 mm
Im pretty sure in my state air rifles dont need a license if they are below a certain threshold in power. They were selling the gamo .177 that shoots 1200 fps..id figure its legal if its in walmart.

It's a weapon faggot

I actually passed by that story while researching. Yea I didnt know air rifles could do that at first...then I saw they get some large ballistics pellet wise...deadly

.177 is good for birds and that's all. Even a .22 like pic related isn't powerful enough for rabbit. The high velocity pellets are too light and the heavy ones are too inaccurate. Get a .22lr rifle for rabbits and save the air rifles for shooting tin cans in the backyard. If air rifle is a must then have a look at a Benjamin bullpup or Texan ss in .357

This thread is about air rifles, which are legitimate weapons for varminting and small game hunting. Airsoft goes in /toy/ or /asp/, because it's basically a game meant to emulate real guns but harmlessly.

Really? Ive seen plenty of rabbits hit with a .22 pellet and go down where they hop. Ive seen .177 do it

fuck off Karl

/out/ has a hunting general my friend

They do but the replies take forever This board has more going on and since its guns id figure lots of hunters

Bullshit info. People hunt all over the world with air rifles. A .177 rifle will easily kill rabbits, hares, birds or iguanas. I spent more on my pcp air rifle than most people do on a ar15

Thats what ive heard also. I just want to be sure because I dont have the money for both. I just wanted be be sure on the more human cleanest kill.

Sling shots have killed more small game then air rifles.
They still belong in As do airshit

I've only used air rifles to plink.

>since it's a gun
gun
/ɡən/Submit
noun
a weapon incorporating a metal tube from which bullets, shells, or other missiles are propelled by explosive force, typically making a characteristic loud, sharp noise.
synonyms: firearm, pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, carbine, automatic, handgun, semiautomatic, machine gun, Uzi; More
INFORMAL
muscular arms; well-developed biceps muscles.
It's not a gun

>mentioning iguanas
>showing off to everyone youre a nogun spic

Welcome to Jow Forums. Now get out

.22 is a little more humane but .177 is more accurate. Those Gamo break barrels are not that accurate to be honest. Ive never had or seen decent groupings with them

I have rifles and Im british you inbred cunt

It's not my first time.
I know most of Jow Forums is underage nogun LARPers.
These shitty BB threads are the easiest way to find them.

Pic and timestamp.
Nogun faggot

>britcuck nogun spic BTFO

I have a Gamo Black Knight in .22, it's pretty good for rabbit, bit harsh for pigeon, it could just be me but i've noticed the .22 mangles the fillet on a pigeon on occassion. Gamo is a quality air rifle manufacturer but their optics won't hold zero for shit...

ok, if you are talking about a spring-piston rifle (all break barrels fall into this category, as well as underlever ones), then you are probably looking at a 12fpe (foot pounds of energy), or 16 Joules. You can go to 23 Joules with a springer, but that comes with extra snap, and you don't need that.

A 12 fpe (16J) .22 is enough to take a rabbit at 40 yards.
As for the differences between .177 and .22:

.177 pellets are usually around 8.4 grain (0.5 gram), and get a muzzle velocity of 240 m/s. With the far zero at 28m, that translates to a 2 mil-dot drop at 50m

a .22, with the same muzzle energy, will have ~170 m/s muzzle velocity, which would give you a 4 mil-dot holdover at 50m (again, far zero at 28m). Since .22 pellets are typically 16 grain (1 gram), at 30 yards downrange, a .22 will retain some 20% more energy than a .177 with half the mass of a .22.

This is for standard pellets, but you can get heavy (10.2 grain) pellets for .177, as well as something called H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme (a 9.57 grain hollow-point that looks like a gimmick, but is really effective at busting rabbit skulls: youtube.com/watch?v=_vt_wpOyzYs the bunny was done in with a HW100 .177 within the 12 fpe limit, afaik).

TL:DR:
.22 pellets retain about 20% more energy downrange, which is better for dropping small game, but have more drop, due to longer travel time, which makes range estimates crucial (.177 you can shoot with a center hold in the 15-30m range, without having to worry about holdovers).

Hope this helps.
Pic semi-related, my plinking rifle.

Attached: LGM-1.jpg (4128x2322, 2.17M)

Also, I should mention, since people here talk about fps, that muzzle velocity alone is a meaningless stat.

Those 1200 fps shots are always taken with ultralight (4-5 grain) pellets, and diabolos are notoriously bad at transsonic speeds. Unless you are going for a FAC, and using proper, heavy pellets, or something like H&N Piledrivers (a slug-shaped pellet, rather than a diabolo one), keep below the sound barrier. The info above assumed a 16J (12 foot pound) rifle.

yes faggot you're shitpostimg on Jow Forums in a thread you don't like. fuck along
at least get the underlever. breakbarrel are shit. and it is possible to nail a rabbit with a .22 but once you get it you will realise how much of a poxy toy it really is. i use mine to shoot targets around my backyard when im drinking beers

I find the H&N Crow Magnums highly effective also.

>shitposting
>by posting literal facts proving this belongs in Eat a dick noguns

Kys ksg fag

Benjamin discovery with the hand pump. I have one in 22 and it’s great for about 16 shits before you need to add air. It’s a bit loud, but if that’s not an issue it’s a fun rifle. PCP, so no trouble with artillery hold shenanigans to try and keep on target as with the springers that slam around.

My 22cal gamo whisper fusion pro is definitely more accurate feeling than my 177 with the 14.3gr crosman HP pellets I use. It launches them at about 900fps on the dot.
And 22 is just a lot more fun and still dirt cheap to shoot. It clanks my rimfire spinner steel harder too so more of the steel spins all the way around.
I’d go 22 all the way if I was starting over at this point and never touch 177.
gamousa.com/product.aspx?productID=477
This is what I’ve got and I’m extremely happy with it.

Attached: 599F292F-7B74-4307-97B2-64208264C9DC.jpg (4032x3024, 2.65M)

do you really not have anything better to do than find all the airgun threads?

airguns are pretty good these days user.
I have a Gamo Shadow DX in .177 calibre.
it supposedly shoots at 1000fps.
I bought it brand new with a scope for $195
Best money I ever spent on a small gun.
It is very accurate with pretty much any pellets but I find that some of the pointed end small game slugs provide better kills.
With this rifle I have shot feral cats, foxes, rabbits,snakes,mice,rats and crows at distances of 15 to 50 metres.
I'm not even a good shot and I almost always manage a headshot with this little gun.
I would highly recommend it as a first airgun
22 cal is probably not necessary and the 22 cal will shoot at 750fps so its a much of a muchness because you get more pellet weight but less speed. The 177 is good enough for most small game at airgun distances.

how's the accuracy on it?

I'm looking at the PCP, especially with the hand pumps down to under 100.

16 shots ? I have a Walther RM8 in .177 and I'm getting around 80 shots on a full tank

depends what kind of range you are talking about.
I wouldnt try to hit anything bigger than a small rabbit at 50m. At that distance even a 22LR becomes a questionable choice.
For example foxes at 50m+ I would use nothing under 22-250 or 222.
A modern 177 rifle shooting at 1000fps will quite easily penetrate a human skull at probably up to 25m. Its not a toy.

tfw just earlier this evening I shot 2 feral cats from about 20m with the 177. Both between the eyes.

No, a dangerous toy. It's more dangerous as a blunt object then a projectile weapon...

>a dangerous toy.
That's exactly how I'd describe every single one of my guns.
>can't believe I'm responding to trolls

Attached: File_000 (2)_2.jpg (1512x2016, 1.52M)