Hey Jow Forums

Hey Jow Forums,

What do you use to sharpen your saber?

And where I can I find modern saber combat techniques?

Attached: swordconfedcsa1_4.jpg (660x470, 28K)

I use a belt grinder, followed by stones, followed by backed sandpaper.

the most modern you'll get is Cold Steel by Alfred Hutton. Ignore the shared name wit ha crappy manufacturer

how do you sharpen a sword?

>belt grinder
haha no

bump

seriously, how do you sharpen your swords Jow Forums? Don't say belt grinder.

belt grinder

Look into joining a club or taking lessons, ive been fencing for 5 years now. I'm from England. I'd also recommend reading Hans Talhofers manuals. There proper 15th century techniques but it can teach you the fundamentals of footwork and other skills useful in HEMA

Same way as I sharpen my axes and machetes. With a stone. Get a lansky stone or better yet edgepro ceramic stones, hold the sword still with one hand and sharpen like normal.

From the russo-turkish war.

Attached: turkish-soldier-sharpening-saber-on-grinding-wheel-russoturkish-war-illustration-id697544067[1].jpg (1024x615, 395K)

WW1

Attached: 1707000004-l[1].jpg (600x434, 47K)

What do you have against belt grinders?

Attached: 1512980412989.jpg (493x449, 43K)

Are you an idiot? Swords have been sharpened since medieval times by continuous grinders. At the time, they were foot driven.

Not sure about the origin here, but those look like Patton swords.

Attached: boerswords_518[1].jpg (800x563, 88K)

pic related, fucking retard

Attached: 74a4b01f11c92114a880257bf847c27d.jpg (438x557, 27K)

Finally, the drawing I was looking for. A depiction of when Prussian soldiers were sharpening their blades on the steps of French embassy in Berlin. Now there's your act of aggression.

Attached: prussian_guard[1].jpg (541x364, 80K)

>belt grinder = stone grinder

lol, look at this deluded idiot.

>belt grinder is for any reason insufficient
lol, look at this pretentious neophyte. so you'd prefer a bench grinder? go for it, retard, if you know what you were talking about you wouldn't have to ask questions like this

>full damage control

your belt grinder will destroy the taper of your sword faster than you pre ejactualted when you saw your mammy naked.

see

fine, use the stairs then

Dude you're taking a solid fuel rocket. lol

Mate, if you have a modicum of coordination and control you can use a belt grinder to sharpen a blade. Hell, you can use one to set bevels into a blank and make a blade.

also I think you mean temper. It would take forever to ruin the taper of a sword with a belt grinder, thats a fundamental change in geometry

You have no idea what your talking about, you can absolutely use a belt grinder to sharpen a blade, but it is not the only part of creating an edge.

Belt grinder you fucking mong.
Of you dont know how to sharpen a sword. Power tools or otherwise, there is 0% chance you own a sabre other than a chinesium wall hanger, and sharpening that wont do you much good.

>this level of retardation or bait faggoty.

Trolling is banned outside /b/, enjoy your ban

>He doesnt realized the Chinese who made his pot metal sword used a belt grinder and a bench grinder to make that taper
Kek. This is why kids arent allowed on Jow Forums

Even high end swords from good steels have some amount of finishing with a belt grinder. Not just chinesium SLO's

I know. But OP doesnt have a high end sword

true.

>modern saber combat techniques
>modern
Just join a fencing club, last time I checked they were teaching sabre as part of their three main disciplines, though you typically start with foil (as you should).

Olympic sabre isnt very similar to military sabre though.

>CSA
Based and redpilled

It's not modern, there is no "modern" sabre techniques, aside from Olympic fencing.
So you answer is literally any HEMA club you mouth breathing retarded highschooler.
But they will laugh you out of the club when you show up with your chinkshit sabre.

you're replying to me () even though I am not OP. I do not have chinkshit, I have a metric fuckton of antiques.

OP probably should have said military sabre then...
modern, contemporary fencing is olympic fencing.

The sword pictured is a military sabre, and some manuals (Eg huttons Cold Steel) are "early modern" period. so thats why I said its not really the same thing as olympic.

*context*.jpg

(OP) #
If you would like an American saber manual, I would recommend A New System Of Sword Exercise: With A Manual Of The Sword For Officers (1872) by Matthew J. O'Rourke. It is available for purchase in a reprinted edition or free to read for a digitized copy.

>The sword pictured is a military sabre, and some manuals (Eg huttons Cold Steel) are "early modern" period. so thats why I said its not really the same thing as olympic.
In history, "early modern period" refers typically to the 16th century.

What if you don't have a belt grinder, how would you sharpen a sword.

Fucking saved.

Attached: flawless context.jpg (410x522, 45K)